Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21922 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
Well at least we got the reasoning.  Still stinks. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
At the Baltimore preshow, I had asked JP about dropping 'Don't Look Past Me', and then he mentioned also dropping 'To Live Forever' (bummer) due to all the blank stares from the audience.  So, they put 'The Spirit Carries On' back in.  There were quite a few people I met that were seeing DT for the first time.  Hey, if I was going to see Queen (or Queen+), I'd be disappointed as hell if BoRhap wasn't included.

Good choice on their part.  I enjoyed the hell out of it (again), and it seemed as though it was played a tad faster, which helped.

As much as I enjoyed seeing To Live Forever, I would have preferred The Spirit Carries On so good choice on their part.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Well now I'm really glad we got an early date. Makes me glad I missed out on the 2nd set here, rather than the 1st set. I like DLPM since I first heard it when I bought the first edition of Lifting Shadows, it was on the accompanying CD. Its a nice rarity I never thought they'd pull from the vault, but I can see how many may not know that song and come out confused. If JLB introduced it before it'd be alright. Then people will be all "oh, okay" instead of "whats this song? Is this a new one?" Like the first draft of setlist.fm

Spirit is a nice song though. First time hearing it was great on The Astonishing tour. Gonna be a blast hearing it more sober than that time (I got a pretty good buzz towards the end).
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
I understand the reasoning, but kinda disagree with it a little bit. James did explain before Don't Look Past Me, and while I'm sure they didn't get much of a reaction, it doesn't mean people didn't enjoy it. They just didn't know it well enough to have a strong crowd reaction. The whole second set is full of crowd pleasers, so I think it would have been fine (and nice for the diehards) to have one or two songs like that out of a 3 hour show.  Maybe don't play them back to back though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
I really just thought TLF and DLPM fit the set list for the anniversary of I&W and those songs would certainly fall into the "& Beyond" catagory IMO.  But if the band felt they would rather please the general crowd vs the smaller amount of people who would enjoy seeing those songs, then I can't really argue that other than I wish they wouldn't of done it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, Don't Look Past Me has appeared only on two "official" band releases:  the I&W demos album released through the YtseJam Records online store (with Chris Cintron singing) and the Cleaning Out the Closet fan club CD (I don't remember a CD with Lifting Shadows, so I'll have to pull that out and look!).  To Live Forever was also on both of those releases and has had a couple of truly official releases as the B-side to the Lie single and on the "Greatest Hit" compilation (and maybe a couple others that I can't recall).  It was also regularly (I think) performed during the I&W tour legs (and maybe also sometimes on the Awake tour?).

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, had I not looked at the set list in advance, I wouldn't have known what DLPM was when they played it, and my point (same as what Ben just wrote) is that maybe they should have explained what these songs were (maybe they did at some other shows, but not at the LA show).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
I believe that is all correct.  But without checking, that may not be an exhaustive list of where those songs have popped up.  I know a live version of TLF also showed up on the WDADRU official bootleg.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #252 on: November 30, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
I believe that is all correct.  But without checking, that may not be an exhaustive list of where those songs have popped up.  I know a live version of TLF also showed up on the WDADRU official bootleg.

You're right, which I should've remembered since I just watched some WDADRU soundcheck footage on YouTube a couple days ago.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #253 on: November 30, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
Big understatement.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: November 30, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »
Big understatement.

I got to see TLF twice so I am not as bummed as others who didn't get that opportunity, but I know what you mean.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
Big understatement.

I got to see TLF twice so I am not as bummed as others who didn't get that opportunity, but I know what you mean.
It's not really so much that I love TLF, though it's a pretty cool song, but that now there's another song I have no interest in. Since I don't share this forum's hard-on for I&W this setlist was already lackluster, and yanking two interesting songs for TSCO is a pretty big blow.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
Are they interesting because they are rare or because you like them more?  Personally, I don't like them more so the rarity factor is what makes me more interested and I guess when they are dropped, it doesn't have as big of an impact since I'm not the biggest fan of the songs anyway, but honestly TLF worked soooooo well in that spot in the setlist.  I think I am more bummed about them going from two songs to one song.  When this tour started there was even more than that too so they've slowly shortened the setlist which sucks as it's not like the price of admission has changed.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »
Are they interesting because they are rare or because you like them more?  Personally, I don't like them more so the rarity factor is what makes me more interested and I guess when they are dropped, it doesn't have as big of an impact since I'm not the biggest fan of the songs anyway, but honestly TLF worked soooooo well in that spot in the setlist.  I think I am more bummed about them going from two songs to one song.  When this tour started there was even more than that too so they've slowly shortened the setlist which sucks as it's not like the price of admission has changed.
I like TLF more, and DLPM is something I haven't seen 10 freaking times already. And I honestly don't much care for TSCO live. Not really what I like in a concert. Unfortunately it's pretty much DT's Wrathchild so it pops up fairly routinely when they need to just to slap a song somewhere.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »
Personally, I cannot stand To Live Forever, and in no way can I begin to comprehend the love that it gets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

You're right, which I should've remembered since I just watched some WDADRU soundcheck footage on YouTube a couple days ago.

It also appeared on the Happy Holidays release from 2013.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »

It also appeared on the Happy Holidays release from 2013.

And the Live in Tokyo DVD, and the 5 Years in a LIVEtime DVD, and the Once in a LIVEtime Outtakes Fan Club CD
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:19:10 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »
Sucks that both Don't Look Past Me and To Live Forever got dropped. I was really looking forward to them in Austin. What sucks more is that TSCO got added. I've heard that song so many times, it's really burned me out.. :rollin I think TSCO will be my bathroom break.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »
Sucks that both Don't Look Past Me and To Live Forever got dropped. I was really looking forward to them in Austin. What sucks more is that TSCO got added. I've heard that song so many times, it's really burned me out.. :rollin I think TSCO will be my bathroom break.

They pulled a Wrathchild  ;D (Iron Maiden in more than an occasion dropped a difficult song from the set replacing it with the massively overplayed Wrathchild, or used it as an easy replacement song... for example they had to drop Hallowed Be Thy Name from 2017's set for legal disputes, and of course Wrathchild sneaked back in the set)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

They pulled a Wrathchild  ;D (Iron Maiden in more than an occasion dropped a difficult song from the set replacing it with the massively overplayed Wrathchild, or used it as an easy replacement song... for example they had to drop Hallowed Be Thy Name from 2017's set for legal disputes, and of course Wrathchild sneaked back in the set)

What were these legal disputes? Must’ve missed that

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
A couple of lines off Hallowed Be Thy Name are taken verbatim from a Beckett song, so that was the subject of the dispute.

Now why the thing surfaces after 30 years is another matter, but the motive is that one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
A couple of lines off Hallowed Be Thy Name are taken verbatim from a Beckett song, so that was the subject of the dispute.

Now why the thing surfaces after 30 years is another matter, but the motive is that one.

Hmm....interesting.  Seems reminiscent of the recent lawsuit involving Stairway to Heaven.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/13/heavy-metal-legends-iron-maiden-shelve-fans-favourite-song-legal/

Offline DT2003

« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
When this tour started there was even more than that too so they've slowly shortened the setlist which sucks as it's not like the price of admission has changed.

Not sure how long the shows were earlier on the tour, but when I saw them in Albany last month the show was just short of 3 hours.  I think their tickets are very reasonably priced for putting on that long of a show.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »

That whole lawsuit was dumb. They had been sued for it years ago by someone else claiming to be the sole songwriter of the song that Maiden allegedly ripped off and they settled out of court. Now, years later, someone else came forward saying that they co-wrote the song with the other guy and also want money from Maiden. But why wouldn’t that party sue the guy who originally filed a lawsuit against Maiden? Maiden already paid for ripping off the song. The dispute should have now been between the two songwriters to figure out what the first guy owes the second guy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, Don't Look Past Me has appeared only on two "official" band releases:  the I&W demos album released through the YtseJam Records online store (with Chris Cintron singing) and the Cleaning Out the Closet fan club CD (I don't remember a CD with Lifting Shadows, so I'll have to pull that out and look!).  To Live Forever was also on both of those releases and has had a couple of truly official releases as the B-side to the Lie single and on the "Greatest Hit" compilation (and maybe a couple others that I can't recall).  It was also regularly (I think) performed during the I&W tour legs (and maybe also sometimes on the Awake tour?).

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, had I not looked at the set list in advance, I wouldn't have known what DLPM was when they played it, and my point (same as what Ben just wrote) is that maybe they should have explained what these songs were (maybe they did at some other shows, but not at the LA show).

DLPM was sung by John Henricks on the demos as was TLF. They also had Steve Stone's version of TLF.  TLF was also on Live in Tokyo ani think a bside on the Lie single.

I agree though. Maybe James should have introduced those songs and let people know how special it was that they were playing those and how rare of a treat it was.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Didn't see this mentioned here, but figured I should since it kind of technically was a bit of a setlist change, but instead of a JR solo spot before Wait For Sleep, JP came out and they performed a rendition of Liquid Tension Experiment's Hourglass:

JR and JP perform Hourglass in Dallas

That was a real nice surprise, I actually thought it was Eve at first, but after watching that, there's very little crowd reaction.  Given the response to drop the other songs, maybe this is why they don't do it more often.  I personally was loving every second of this. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2017, 12:15:08 PM »
Wow, I had forgotten how beautiful this song is! Indeed, nice surprise!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2017, 12:20:07 PM »
Awesome video cram. Also - I think you are right about the crowd reaction it seemed like from your video a lot of people had no clue what that was  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
Didn't see this mentioned here, but figured I should since it kind of technically was a bit of a setlist change, but instead of a JR solo spot before Wait For Sleep, JP came out and they performed a rendition of Liquid Tension Experiment's Hourglass:

That was a real nice surprise, I actually thought it was Eve at first, but after watching that, there's very little crowd reaction.  Given the response to drop the other songs, maybe this is why they don't do it more often.  I personally was loving every second of this. 

Was that you asking "What's this?"

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »

Was that you asking "What's this?"

:lol pretty much, I knew it was familiar but couldn't pin exactly what it was.  My initial thought was Eve cause it sounds similar and would have fit the theme.  I asked the guy next to me if he knew about it and he was clueless.  Actually talked to a few people on my way out and none realized they played something different.  I guess most just thought it was the JR solo spot and didn't question why JP was out there too, but having seen the show twice before, i immediately knew something was happening even if I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2017, 01:26:20 PM »
I think more people knew it where I was. You could hear some people reacting not long after they started playing it, and I think from the expression on JP's face that he noticed it and was acknowledging it.  I'm so glad you were able to capture it. :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
I'm so glad you were able to capture it. :)

I pulled out the camera once I saw MM playing golf on stage  :lol was about to stop once the solo started then JP magically appeared.  While it's not one of my favorite tracks or anything, the spontaneity and freshness of doing something different definitely made it one of the coolest things I've witnessed by DT, and it really was some beautiful music.  JLB mentioned about reading on the forums of people traveling earlier in the show, I really think the band wanted to do something special for us on the final show. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2017, 03:21:14 PM »
I'm so glad you were able to capture it. :)

I pulled out the camera once I saw MM playing golf on stage  :lol was about to stop once the solo started then JP magically appeared.  While it's not one of my favorite tracks or anything, the spontaneity and freshness of doing something different definitely made it one of the coolest things I've witnessed by DT, and it really was some beautiful music.  JLB mentioned about reading on the forums of people traveling earlier in the show, I really think the band wanted to do something special for us on the final show.

I was one of the ones that knew right from the opening notes what it was. That was a beautiful and nice surprise.

I also notice JLB mentioning something about the forums.

Overall I had fun and it was a great great show. JLB really brought it. Being reserved a bit for the first set, saving it all for the Images and Words album and ACOS set. I like how he hit some good notes from the songs themselves.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pcs90

« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
Wow, I never thought Hourglass would get played again. Awesome!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
I think bands have to start early in their carreer to "educate" their audience to expect the unexpected. After 10 - 20 - 30 years of playing staples, bands find themselves forced to play those songs, and they can't get rid of them even if they wanted to. Dream Theater on the other hand always changed setlists so it does not feel weird that they skip Pull Me Under or Metropolis.

I've never understood why the older bands do that.. I mean, you have already played those staples lots of times; play something else now.. People won't stop going to your shows because you're not playing two or three songs you've been playing for who knows how many years.. Of course there's diehard fans that wanna hear over and over again the same songs at every show they go, and of course there's fans that are going for the first time, but I don't think you'd be losing people by not playing those songs.. At least add something to those songs to keep them interesting for the rest of the fans..

Personally, I cannot stand To Live Forever, and in no way can I begin to comprehend the love that it gets.

I wouldn't say stand, but I definitely do not like it, and the same goes for DLPM, so it'd have been the same for me.. What made me laught even more though than people complaining about not seeing these songs live is that they're forgetting that a huge part of the DT fans around the world couldn't go to the show basically because some of us didn't even have the chance to do it..  :'(

That's great!..  :metal
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:22:00 PM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »