Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21908 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »

Yes, but with rotating setlists you can see a couple shows and get to see more songs. With no rotation, there's a chance they won't play the songs you prefer on the tour at all, and no one gets to see them.

Except that most fans have jobs, a family, a tight money situation, etc. that doesn't enable them to travel to see multiple shows on a tour.
And plenty of fans do see more than one show. If you're only ever going to see one, why complain about others getting to see different songs? If you don't get to see it, no one should? I missed a couple special things over the years, but I would never suggest that they shouldn't have done it because they didn't do it at the show I saw.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »

Yes, but with rotating setlists you can see a couple shows and get to see more songs. With no rotation, there's a chance they won't play the songs you prefer on the tour at all, and no one gets to see them.

Except that most fans have jobs, a family, a tight money situation, etc. that doesn't enable them to travel to see multiple shows on a tour.
And plenty of fans do see more than one show.

I don't know about "plenty."

I don't even think I can count on one hand the number of people I've met that have gone to more than one show per leg.  In fact, plenty don't even see them once per tour. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »

And plenty of fans do see more than one show.

I don't know about "plenty."

I don't even think I can count on one hand the number of people I've met that have gone to more than one show per leg.  In fact, plenty don't even see them once per tour.

Exactly. The fans who go to, or used to go to, a lot of shows love per tour love to beat their chests and act like the rotating set lists inspired a large percentage of fans to travel all over to see multiple shows, but I would bet my life savings that that is not the case at all.  Most fans go to one show per tour (unless a city gets two shows per tour or two cities are pretty close to each other to where it is not difficult to see both, like if someone went to both the Chicago and Peoria shows earlier this month).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »
I don't know if it was a large percentage or not. I haven't, and certainly wouldn't, claim that it was "most." It wasn't. But I'd need more than both hands to count the number of people who I saw at more than one show on this tour.  That's not a huge number, but it's also just my observation - there are shows where I don't talk to anyone or really observe anyone, so the number has to be at least a little greater.

When there were rotating setlists, I saw a lot more people that I recognized from show to show. A lot of those people I don't see anymore.  Of course it wasn't most, it wasn't half, it wasn't a quarter. But even if it's 100 people who buy two tickets instead of one, or maybe some 3 or 4 tickets instead of one, that can add up.

Again, I'm not pushing for the band to do something that's going to make them miserable and/or burn them out. I want them to be in it for as long as possible.

But again I have to ask, if they did go back to rotating sets in some capacity (I doubt it would ever be to the extent that it once was), would those who only go to one show, for whatever reason, really be mad at the band and begrudge those who went to multiple ones and thus got to see a few more songs?

When Rush did it (only on a really small scale), no one that I met was upset, mad, whatever about it. A couple people could only swing one show and were able to guess what would be played when and picked the show that suited them best. Others maybe wished they had gotten X instead of Y but were at least glad they could watch X online.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
I think the way the band did it on the ADTOE tour was the best of both worlds.  Most of the set list was static, but with a few spots that were rotated from night to night.

Also, on my end, it is worth pointing that the only two times I saw Dream Theater on the same tour was when the set lists were static :lol - Metropolis 2000 tour (St Louis and Orlando) and the Along for the Ride tour (Chicago and Kansas City).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2017, 11:30:54 PM »
I don't know if it was a large percentage or not. I haven't, and certainly wouldn't, claim that it was "most." It wasn't. But I'd need more than both hands to count the number of people who I saw at more than one show on this tour.  That's not a huge number, but it's also just my observation - there are shows where I don't talk to anyone or really observe anyone, so the number has to be at least a little greater.

When there were rotating setlists, I saw a lot more people that I recognized from show to show. A lot of those people I don't see anymore.  Of course it wasn't most, it wasn't half, it wasn't a quarter. But even if it's 100 people who buy two tickets instead of one, or maybe some 3 or 4 tickets instead of one, that can add up.

Again, I'm not pushing for the band to do something that's going to make them miserable and/or burn them out. I want them to be in it for as long as possible.

But again I have to ask, if they did go back to rotating sets in some capacity (I doubt it would ever be to the extent that it once was), would those who only go to one show, for whatever reason, really be mad at the band and begrudge those who went to multiple ones and thus got to see a few more songs?

Mad?  Begrudge?  No.  Still disappointed. 

When I saw them on the first leg of the ADTOE tour it was the best DT show I'd ever been to.  Still, kind of a bummer that I got Wait For Sleep, one of my least favorite DT songs, instead of Beneath the Surface. 

Clearly not a big enough deal to spoil the show if I consider it to be the best DT concert I've been to but still a little annoying.  But if that along with their comfort of not doing it is more important to them, at the very least I consider it a wash in terms of benefits. 

Also consider this...I was talking to a group of guys that were sitting behind us at the last show and just so happened to get a bite to eat at the same place as us afterwards.  They were diehards.  I think they said they had listened to DT since 2006 and yet that show was the first one they had ever been to with the exception of one of them who had seen DT years before. 

I am a diehard that owns every DT release including official bootlegs yet I only see them twice a year maximum.  These guys were diehards that have seen them once or twice in a decade.  Not everybody has the means to see them at all let alone multiple times in a week. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »
To say the band can't simply 'whip out' some old songs is insulting to their quality as musicians. If Dream Theater would want to rehearse 50 songs for their tour and play ever-changing setlists each night, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't do that from a purely technical (playing the songs) standpoint.

Except that they are the ones who've said they don't want to do it any longer for various reasons and one being rehearsal time and another being they felt they could never get into a steady groove with the constant switching and a third is all the other people around them who are also involved.

So take it easy, jeez.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »

Mad?  Begrudge?  No.  Still disappointed. 

When I saw them on the first leg of the ADTOE tour it was the best DT show I'd ever been to.  Still, kind of a bummer that I got Wait For Sleep, one of my least favorite DT songs, instead of Beneath the Surface. 

Clearly not a big enough deal to spoil the show if I consider it to be the best DT concert I've been to but still a little annoying.  But if that along with their comfort of not doing it is more important to them, at the very least I consider it a wash in terms of benefits. 

Also consider this...I was talking to a group of guys that were sitting behind us at the last show and just so happened to get a bite to eat at the same place as us afterwards.  They were diehards.  I think they said they had listened to DT since 2006 and yet that show was the first one they had ever been to with the exception of one of them who had seen DT years before. 

I am a diehard that owns every DT release including official bootlegs yet I only see them twice a year maximum.  These guys were diehards that have seen them once or twice in a decade.  Not everybody has the means to see them at all let alone multiple times in a week.

Of course - and I'm not suggesting otherwise.  If you can't see DT at all, only once every 5 years, etc, that's your business. Not suggesting that the guys you met are any less of a fan. I just don't think that's really relevant to whether they rotate the setlist or not. You were disappointed in not getting Beneath the Surface. I get that - I've been disappointed by stuff I've missed too. But the part I don't get is why it makes it better if no one else gets to hear it either. At least they played it, which means maybe you get to watch it on YouTube, or maybe it makes its way onto a dvd. Isn't that better than nothing? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
I agree. I feel for the fans that travelled to different shows for the rotating setlists. MP was very smart in that regard, building a hardcore touring fanbase and trying to create a Dead-like experience.

For those of us, like me, who didn't travel, but was still lucky enough to see them regularly, the rotating setlists ultimately gave us the opportunity to hear more songs live, and in different sequences. I collected many bootlegs to hear different setlist variations. And getting up each day to log onto MP.com to see what was played the night before was like turning on ESPN to get last night's scores. It was just a cool experience. And other than standard songs from a new album, you literally didn't know what would be played, so in this age of setlist spoilers, DT was able to retain some amount of suspense.

That said, I have since DT 3 times in the MM era, and they have been 3 of the best shows I've seen by them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
MP was also good noting what they played in each city so the next time through the city would get different songs. You didn't need to go to multiple shows as long as you kept going every tour you'd get a good rotation of songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »
MP was also good noting what they played in each city so the next time through the city would get different songs. You didn't need to go to multiple shows as long as you kept going every tour you'd get a good rotation of songs.

Right.

And to that point, JP has done an awesome job of different songs from tour to tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
Totally agree, since MP left, the setlist have still been great for each tour. I'd like to see a few songs dropped but I understand why the band plays them judging from the live reactions (like As I Am)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
Totally agree, since MP left, the setlist have still been great for each tour. I'd like to see a few songs dropped but I understand why the band plays them judging from the live reactions (like As I Am)

Every post MP tour has had an A+ setlist. Even the Along For The  Ride tour which I did not like when I saw it posted. When I heard it live I was blown away by how well it worked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
Every post MP tour has had an A+ setlist. Even the Along For The  Ride tour which I did not like when I saw it posted. When I heard it live I was blown away by how well it worked.

That set list was so awesome that I traveled from St Louis to Chicago with my brother to see it on a Saturday, and then four days later traveled from St Louis to Kansas City with three friends to see it again.  That Chicago performance is the best DT show I have seen post-2000. :metal :metal

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »

That set list was so awesome that I traveled from St Louis to Chicago with my brother to see it on a Saturday, and then four days later traveled from St Louis to Kansas City with three friends to see it again.  That Chicago performance is the best DT show I have seen post-2000. :metal :metal

That was a great show, probably tied with the 20th Anniversary as my favorite DT show.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »

Except The Astonishing

Offline Evai

« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »

Except The Astonishing

True, it was pretty annoying when they took out Heavens Cove and (I think) Whispers On The Wind. Like, you don't play SFAM and leave out Home  :laugh:
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »

Except The Astonishing

True, it was pretty annoying when they took out Heavens Cove and (I think) Whispers On The Wind. Like, you don't play SFAM and leave out Home  :laugh:

It was quite annoying when they played songs from the Astonishing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »

Except The Astonishing

It was quite annoying when they played songs from the Astonishing

That was their best set list. Great variety of moods and energy.

I have seen them once with Portnoy (opening for Maiden doesn't really count to me as a full DT show). I didn't really know much songs from them, only what I heard on Budakon. It was on the Gigantour, they played my favorite though, Endless Sacrifice. Never Enough wasn't bad as well, it was a good rocking jam.

Its funny comparing how much more I know DT songs to back then in 2005. Going back, looking at the setlists, seeing they played a certain song and trying to remember.

For me, if I could, I would see them more than once on a tour. But that is not viable due to location. Its about a 7 hour drive each direction to see a show (AZ, CO, TX), and then next show would be in either one of those places or farther away.

Honestly, you guys on the East coast are very lucky and fortunate to be able to see many, many shows. Travel isn't far at all, at times just an hour away. If anything, the places where travel isn't a big issue at all, are places that got spoilt by the rotating setlists. But then, it wouldn't have mattered as much if setlist-fm didn't exist.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »

Except The Astonishing
True. That one was more an A set list than A+.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
The idea of any fans not fully endorsing the idea of rotating setlists is blowing my mind!!

Imagine living in Quebec in 2006 and going to these two shows, not previously knowing what you were about to get:

1-
The Root of All Evil
These Walls
Another Won
Afterlife
Under a Glass Moon
Caught in a Web
Raise the Knife
Strange Déjà Vu
-
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
Endless Sacrifice
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
- Encore:
The Spirit Carries On
Take the Time

2-
The Root of All Evil
Panic Attack
Another Won
A Fortune in Lies
Take the Time
Lie
Peruvian Skies
Speak to Me
Home
-
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
Endless Sacrifice
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
- Encore: Pullmetropolis
Pull Me Under/Metropolis Pt. 1

:omg:

If you don't like that they took out Don't Look Past Me (I think that's too bad as well), then fine, but I fail to see how that's a reflection on rotating setlists as a whole. In fact it was only played in the first place at all because they changed from the previous setlist of this tour.

Offline DTA

« Reply #231 on: November 27, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
As long as they rotate from tour to tour (and leg to leg), then I'm happy. The idea of rotating setlists on a nightly basis is great to think about, but realistically, the likelihood of fans attending multiple shows is probably so low that it's only worth it to a very minimal group of people. Not to mention, rotating setlists with 3 hours shows just exhausts so much of the catalog that it's inevitable that they will run out of songs to rotate. I started seeing the same songs over and over again even with the rotating sets and my enthusiasm for seeing them diminished a bit. I think the way they're doing it now works very well and they obviously are happy and have been pulling out some great songs/rarities.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #232 on: November 27, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »

Except The Astonishing

Yeah, right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Since I'm going to the Dallas show, It is a bummer they might not play that song at all. I feel lucky now I got to see it at least. But, it being the last show of the tour. I do wonder what they might do?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
Look at Metallica as an example.  They have some staples they leave in the set from leg to leg, but there are some songs the drop in and out which keeps it interesting and a little less totally predicable.   Particularly if you are thinking about going to more than one show.  The motivation to see more than one is totally gone if you know you have already seen it.  And if you want go all superfan you know not check in again until 2019, as that is the time they plan on doing something new.  Tweaking it, keeps people involved in paying attention to what is happening with the band.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »
MP was also good noting what they played in each city so the next time through the city would get different songs.

The problem with this is that some fans don't like that.  If I go to see Iron Maiden, I expect them to play The Trooper.  If I go to see Rush, I expect to hear Tom Sawyer.  Similarly, there are certain songs that I want to hear when I go and see Dream Theater.  It doesn't matter that I've seen those songs at (almost) every prior show I've attended by those bands.  And it works both ways.  I'd be perfectly happy never to hear All Good People again, but I can be pretty certain that Yes will play it (unless it's a show featuring particular albums other than The Yes Album).  For the most part, I've been happy with DT's set lists, but there have been a couple set lists that I found to be mediocre (in particular, the two Prog Nation shows I saw).  I agree that the post-MP set lists have been, at worst, very good (I didn't see any of the Astonishing shows, so I'm not including those).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
MP was also good noting what they played in each city so the next time through the city would get different songs.

The problem with this is that some fans don't like that.  If I go to see Iron Maiden, I expect them to play The Trooper.  If I go to see Rush, I expect to hear Tom Sawyer.  Similarly, there are certain songs that I want to hear when I go and see Dream Theater.  It doesn't matter that I've seen those songs at (almost) every prior show I've attended by those bands.  And it works both ways.  I'd be perfectly happy never to hear All Good People again, but I can be pretty certain that Yes will play it (unless it's a show featuring particular albums other than The Yes Album).  For the most part, I've been happy with DT's set lists, but there have been a couple set lists that I found to be mediocre (in particular, the two Prog Nation shows I saw).  I agree that the post-MP set lists have been, at worst, very good (I didn't see any of the Astonishing shows, so I'm not including those).

The difference I think is that DT doesn't really have staple setlists songs.  Maybe Metropolis or Pull Me Under are the closest to being those.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »

The difference I think is that DT doesn't really have staple setlists songs.  Maybe Metropolis or Pull Me Under are the closest to being those.

And I'm glad they don't. True, Rush has to play Tom Sawyer at every show, but Rush is a huge band.  DT is different; they don't have to play anything at every single show.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »

And I'm glad they don't. True, Rush has to play Tom Sawyer at every show, but Rush is a huge band.  DT is different; they don't have to play anything at every single show.

You know, thats why I like Dream Theater. You never know what they'll play before the start of the tour. Glad they don't have a staple song they have to play tour. I wish more popular bands could play whatever they feel like without worry of disappointing the audience.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »

You know, thats why I like Dream Theater. You never know what they'll play before the start of the tour. Glad they don't have a staple song they have to play tour. I wish more popular bands could play whatever they feel like without worry of disappointing the audience.
Like Metallica...I'd love to see a show from them and not hear Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters or Seek & Destroy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »

I think bands have to start early in their carreer to "educate" their audience to expect the unexpected. After 10 - 20 - 30 years of playing staples, bands find themselves forced to play those songs, and they can't get rid of them even if they wanted to. Dream Theater on the other hand always changed setlists so it does not feel weird that they skip Pull Me Under or Metropolis.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: November 28, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Like Metallica...I'd love to see a show from them and not hear Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters or Seek & Destroy.

I went to a 311 show a month ago, they didn't play 3 of their biggest hits (All Mixed Up, Creatures, and their new single Too Much To Think) and instead played 3 really random and more rare songs.  I thought it was the best setlist of the tour for them.  Now, my gf who came with me, thought it sucked cause those were songs she wanted and expected to see.  It's tough for bands to make this call.  You excite one person and piss off another. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #242 on: November 28, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »

Except The Astonishing

Yeah, right.

Point made. You don’t like TA. No need to state that three times in the same thread, especially when it’s not even the right thread for that.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »

Except The Astonishing

Yeah, right.

Point made. You don’t like TA. No need to state that three times in the same thread, especially when it’s not even the right thread for that.

Preach!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
At the Baltimore preshow, I had asked JP about dropping 'Don't Look Past Me', and then he mentioned also dropping 'To Live Forever' (bummer) due to all the blank stares from the audience.  So, they put 'The Spirit Carries On' back in.  There were quite a few people I met that were seeing DT for the first time.  Hey, if I was going to see Queen (or Queen+), I'd be disappointed as hell if BoRhap wasn't included.

Good choice on their part.  I enjoyed the hell out of it (again), and it seemed as though it was played a tad faster, which helped.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!