Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21904 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
No "Don't Look Past Me" tonight in Boston. I had seen on Facebook that they were playing it and was super pumped about seeing it. Looking now at setlist.fm, it's the only show they haven't played it, and they didn't even replace it with anything. I'm literally heartbroken over this... There's no way they'll ever bring this song back out on tour, and they just skipped right over it. I'm at a loss, and very confused. To be honest, this may have been the best DT I've seen in person since Radio City, but to know that they skipped what would be only chance to see one of the rarest DT songs in the catalog puts a bitter taste in my mouth.

No way!!  Wow, I feel your pain and disappointment!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »
Wasn't performed last night in NYC. So bummed. I've lost hope on seeing it now.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2017, 07:15:21 AM »
It's fairly lame. I guess I just don't get how shortening the show by 6-7 minutes is that helpful. And it seems some people actually bought tickets to specifically see this song. And they even promoted it on Facebook (Mangini posted a video or picture and the band shared that post). Whatever. The more days that pass, the better I'm dealing with not seeing it. The show was still fantastic, and should not be missed by anyone who's a fan of the band.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2017, 07:18:35 AM »
The song seemed to be tough on James' voice. That's probably why they cut it, it's a shame though. Glad I saw it in Pittsburgh.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:53 AM »
I’m sorry to those that were looking forward to hearing DLPM. It truly is a disappointing feeling that I know too well! I’m wondering if it’s a time constraint thing and I hope they put it back in for you guys.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
I’m sorry to those that were looking forward to hearing DLPM. It truly is a disappointing feeling that I know too well! I’m wondering if it’s a time constraint thing and I hope they put it back in for you guys.

Personally, I just wish they would start mixing up the set a bit in general.  Doesn't have to be as much as they used to, but part of the excitement to me, of going to any show is wondering what they will do that night.  Particularly for DT who have such a deep catalouge with so many progressive elements and used to be improv jam, I think alot of people would welcome the uncertainty of knowing what they are gonna do on a given night.  It's not like the DT fan is waiting to hear the hits and will be let down if they don't play pull me under or whatever it is.  I say throw some wild cards in there all the time.

OK.  I am glad to see the band listened to me by Long Island :). Throw the Glass Prison in there.  Why not?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:04:52 PM by JoeMLennon »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »
Well, I'm glad to have went and gotten, the only chance, to see DLPM. It was a nice treat. But I can see how it takes a toll on JLB. As it is later in the tour, its getting to him.

But who knows why they dropped it?

Hopefully I'll be able to hop on over to Dallas.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
part of the excitement to me, of going to any show is wondering what they will do that night.  Particularly for DT who have such a deep catalouge with so many progressive elements and used to be improv jam, I think alot of people would welcome the uncertainty of knowing what they are gonna do on a given night.

That works both ways, though.  I think it was on the Systematic Chaos tour (the first Prog Nation tour, I think) that they played Ministry of Lost Souls instead of something else they had been playing, and I was greatly disappointed.  Fair enough to play that song since it appeared on the album they were touring for, but it still sucked balls.  I MUCH prefer the static set list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2017, 10:12:22 AM »
Never Enough..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:17 AM »
I have scrupulously avoided set lists for this tour.  Saw the show last night and had a great time.

I would have much preferred to hear "To Live Forever" and "Don't Look Past Me"    than the entire "Change Of Seasons."   Not that COS wasn't great, but the other two would have been awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »
Wow they changed it again... and for worse (IMO at least)  :facepalm:

TLF was actually really enjoyable live, was never a favorite DT track, but felt right in the set list and worked well.  This change I don't like.  I'd rather see the Astonishing songs back in the set instead.

Also, in the NJ show, someone in the crowd was constantly yelling "What happened to DLPM" I'm sure that pissed off DT judging by JLB's facial reactions when he kept screaming.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2017, 07:15:32 AM »

TLF was actually really enjoyable live, was never a favorite DT track, but felt right in the set list and worked well.  This change I don't like.  I'd rather see the Astonishing songs back in the set instead.

Also, in the NJ show, someone in the crowd was constantly yelling "What happened to DLPM" I'm sure that pissed off DT judging by JLB's facial reactions when he kept screaming.

Thank god I wasn't at that show. I think I had my share of live versions of The Spirit Carries On. And to play that INSTEAD of To Live Forever and Don't Look past me only add insult to injury.

Offline Evai

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:10 AM »
Meh. Seems like a band can't try out different songs on tour, since the fans all gossip and spread word about the setlists. Then they have expectations based on unofficial sources, that's why JLB looked pissed. Cellphone-recording culture doing its work as usual
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »

:lol

I agree on TLF, it was great in Pittsburgh, worked really well in the live setting.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »
Meh. Seems like a band can't try out different songs on tour, since the fans all gossip and spread word about the setlists. Then they have expectations based on unofficial sources, that's why JLB looked pissed. Cellphone-recording culture doing its work as usual

That's another reason why I avoid setlists spoilers like the plague. I want to go at my show knowing nothing, while I fully know everything is rehearsed and prepared to the detail, not knowing before what happens makes it easier to live the experience like it's something done "for me".

Anyway, the band has no obligation whatsover regarding a setlist to the fans, as long as the general concept of the show remains the same (of course it's not ok  to, say, drop 7 songs and play 50 minutes less)  they can damn well put in a song or take out a song as they please.

I've seen Helloween last saturday, they didn't play a song that was present n previous and following shows, bohooooho, should I sue them and ask my money back? should have I learnt by memory the setlist before and demand it shouting loudly?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2017, 07:58:44 AM »
Id like to not spoil the setlist for bands I really love and know all the songs anyway like DT, but the NA tour was so far out from when it started that avoiding spoilers would be really difficult so I caved in.  My buddy didn't and was totally loving the first set, was saying how it was all songs he didn't expect to see besides As I Am.  His excitement was pretty cool to see, whereas I knew what was coming next.

I don't think this has anything to do with them changing songs

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
I also try to avoid spoilers as best I can. Hell, I haven't even been on the DT side of this forum in almost a year trying to avoid spoilers. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. Just being here, people talk about the setlists in other threads that have nothing to do with Dream Theater or even music! That's how I found out about ACOS this tour, and Space Dye Vest on the 2014 tour.

But Don't Look Past Me, as I've said, was spoiled because a BAND MEMBER posted about it on Facebook. Then I saw the same post again shared by THE BAND. Once I saw that, I just figured that they were promoting one of the songs they were playing on tour, and that I could expect it to be played. Especially considering that the song is a leftover from Images and Words, I figured that they were going to hold on to it. I was looking forward to hearing it. That's where my original disappointment came from.

Today, however, I feel better about not seeing it. I realized that no one in Europe got to see it, or anywhere except the 13 shows here in the US. Looking at other songs that have been played 20 times or less, I have been lucky enough to have seen: Vacant (twice), Innocence Faded, Light Fuse and Get Away, Raise The Knife, The Answer Lies Within, and Overture. At this point, I'm chalking it up to not being one of the lucky ones to see it.

Also, I'm VERY glad that I was able to see To Live Forever. It's one of my TOP Dream Theater songs, probably Top 10. And it's a much better song than Don't Look Past Me. And now that I see that they've potentially dropped that as well, I'm counting my blessings this Thanksgiving, haha.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

I've seen Helloween last saturday, they didn't play a song that was present n previous and following shows, bohooooho, should I sue them and ask my money back? should have I learnt by memory the setlist before and demand it shouting loudly?

No one is asking for a refund, but surely, you can understand a fan's disappointment when a rare song is dropped unexpectedly mid-tour.  We're an exceptionally insatiable bunch.  Many fans (myself included) have travelled far and wide to capture some of the rare songs in the DT catalog.  I would have been massively bummed if I didn't get a chance to see DLPM last month.  (And when a song gets rotation in Europe [Wither, Behind the Veil] I always lobby for its U.S. debut)  Of course, DT doesn't owe any songs or setlists to the fans, and they can't please everybody, but we're allowed to have a reaction.

The "What you don't know can't hurt you" approach might temper expectations but in my experience it would have caused me to miss some awesome opportunities.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Yeah, you're right. I was merely commenting in more general terms on what Evai said, in this specific case I can totally understand someone wanting to hear a very rare song that the band itself seem to have hyped.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
Jeez, you guys, if AC/DC wants to play any song at any time during any show they can or if anyone wants to go jam at a bar to blues standards they can but for songs as complex as DT they can't just whip them out.  They have to have setups and rehearse before every show so soundchecks become another entire concert every day.

I'm sure I read somewhere how draining it was on the guys to be constantly playing everything and even the lighting guys and guitar techs having to keep all the different tunings available not to mention having to carry all the extra gear with you.

It's not just "ah, screw the fans, we're not playing <song> this time" which I think some people feel it is.  There's a lot more involved.

So please, chill out and give them a break, as much as we like to say they're all machines and cyborgs they're just Humans and have limitations.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
^^ Also, let's not forget transcribing and relearning a song that hasn't been played in 25 years.  I'm aware of the tremendous forethought, effort and coordination that goes into assembling a setlist.  DT gives so much to its fans, and that should never be taken for granted.  That said, the song was already prepared, queued with the stage show and played several times.

Of course, there are other considerations that might have factored into its removal from the setlist.  Maybe (speculation) Kevin Moore contacted the bands reps seeking royalties for performance of the song.  Maybe (wild speculation) John Hendricks raised a complaint that he never received writing credit for his contributions (if any).  Or maybe the band decided that the live performance of DLPM (with its demanding vocals) just didn't live up to their own standards and expectations and dropped it.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure the band gave it careful consideration, and, of course, its nothing personal to any fans.

However, DT does occasionally listen and respond to the community - otherwise they would never have contemplated Space Dye Vest live.  So it does make a difference to speak up about things.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:47:43 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »
They played since forever Pull Me Under which has Moore's lyrics, I don't think at all his writing contributions are an issue.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:04 AM »
Jeez, you guys, if AC/DC wants to play any song at any time during any show they can or if anyone wants to go jam at a bar to blues standards they can but for songs as complex as DT they can't just whip them out.  They have to have setups and rehearse before every show so soundchecks become another entire concert every day.

Leprous is curently on tour, performing 27 shows in a row without any breaks, changing up the setlist every single night. So far they've played 32 different songs on this tour. Yes, there's a constant in that there's the same six/seven songs played at every show, but the others are swapped around constantly. Even the song order is different every single night.

Yes, Dream Theater songs are complex, but these guys are world-class musicians. I know about 15 Dream Theater songs by heart and can play them on the guitar, there's no way the likes of John Petrucci would struggle with songs he wrote. To say the band can't simply 'whip out' some old songs is insulting to their quality as musicians. If Dream Theater would want to rehearse 50 songs for their tour and play ever-changing setlists each night, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't do that from a purely technical (playing the songs) standpoint.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2017, 03:42:22 AM »
I bet they dropped DLPM because the reaction wasn't good enough - after all, it's an obscure B-side, and in 2011 they stopped playing The Great Debate for the same reason. Or maybe they just wanted to make things easier for James, since he already has to sing at the top of his range in the I&W set, and you can't leave any of those songs out because of the theme of the tour. We'll see whether TSCO was just a special song (I know how ironic this sounds :lol) for the hometown gig or if TLF gets dropped permanently, which would be a pity.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2017, 03:49:53 AM »
But they already did what Leprous is doing, right?.. They've done that for 20 years or so, since they actually have the amount of songs to do it until the main guy behind the setlists' setup (and the one pushing farer the rotating aspect) was no longer in the band.. The reasons why they're not doing it anymore have been said here and there bunch of times.. But what some are saying in this thread, and I totally submit to that, is that they actually don't need to have any reasons at all to do whatever setlist they wanna do.. They're the ones making that decision..

Now, a separate issue is our own personal experiences with their shows and, particularly in this case, with the songs played.. That's were it all gets extremely subjective.. For starters, and I think no one has even mention this factor yet, there are those that don't like the song, or don't care that much to see it live.. Then there's the spoiler alert factor: if you don't want to spoil yourself, just don't visit ANY website (or page, or facebook, or blog, etc) that might spoil you!.. I mean, that's like a pretty basic thing to do about it..
 :natalieportman:
But then again, this has to do with how we feel about what a band can do in their shows.. And DT songs might be not really difficult to play for them, yes, but they might just don't want to play them...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2017, 06:16:49 AM »
Re: spoilers. Yes - you could just not visit any website that might spoil you, but I wish it wasn't like that here.  When I joined I was told that people are good about not posting spoilers and to just stay out of threads about the tour.  Then one of the first set songs was spoiled in a thread that wasn't about the tour and didn't (up to that point) have anything to do with it. So I stopped visiting the forum until I'd seen it for myself. And even then it was a good while after, I guess because I'd gotten used to not coming here.

Since I came back, I've found spoilers everywhere - as someone else mentioned, in threads that aren't about DT at all.  I guess in 2019 I can leave again, but isn't there something else we could do? If it was me and only me, then I wouldn't say anything. I don't want to be the new person coming in and thinking they know better. But I've read enough comments by others who were bummed about being spoiled, so I'm giving it a try. Next time, can we do better? Maybe a rule that spoilers can only go in one thread on the DT forum and in the various threads for shows in the Concert and Setlists forum? And multiple reminders of it in each subforum at the start of the tour?  Maybe it's unrealistic but I'm just throwing it out there.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2017, 06:40:03 AM »
As for the setlist and people being upset - I get it, and I would be too if I had missed those songs.  Not angry at the band, but definitely disappointed.  I think the band having static setlists is in some ways the cause of  people being so upset.
Fans (not all, but I think, in my unscientific observation, most) want them to go back to changing setlists. It's the thing a lot of people miss. I've heard a lot of people say that they stopped going to multiple shows per tour because of it.  So I kinda think, now that everyone has gotten used to the static sets, that at a minimum they should give people a heads up if they can.  Ideally, don't drop something that people have never seen and probably won't get to see again. But if it can't be avoided, just a little something - "hey, we've been playing a rare track that unfortunately we're going to have to drop, but we're still playing it tomorrow so come on out if you can." If the setlist was changing all the time, then so be it - anything goes. Otherwise, it's really a bummer that they specifically promoted it on social media, some fans planned to see the show just because that song was included, and then they drop it without a word.  I don't mean this in a "how dare they" kinda way.  But I do get the frustration.

And if they really dropped it (and The Great Debate for that matter) because of the reaction, that's really too bad. It may not be a crowd favorite, but plenty of people were really happy to hear it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
If I recall correctly, The Great debate was featured on several concerts, while Outcry and Breaking all illusions were switching places as the last song before the encore. Once the band found out people were disappointed Breaking all illusions wasn't being played at every show, they made it the permanent set closer, and since they probably didn't want to lose Outcry, The Great debate got replaced by it.

The Great debate is a top 10 Dream Theater song in my book and I was more than extatic to hear it live six years ago, but I don't remember the general crowd response being great or even memorable. It might not be a live favorite for people.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
I am not surprised that Don't Look Past Me was cut.  It is a song only the most diehard fans are gonna know, and from the few clips I saw online, crowd reaction to it was pretty tame.  It's cool that it finally got played a bunch of times, but it's not one of their better non-albums tracks from the 90s.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
If I recall correctly, The Great debate was featured on several concerts, while Outcry and Breaking all illusions were switching places as the last song before the encore. Once the band found out people were disappointed Breaking all illusions wasn't being played at every show, they made it the permanent set closer, and since they probably didn't want to lose Outcry, The Great debate got replaced by it.

The Great debate is a top 10 Dream Theater song in my book and I was more than extatic to hear it live six years ago, but I don't remember the general crowd response being great or even memorable. It might not be a live favorite for people.

Would love to see TGD return to their sets someday, it's a DT favorite for me as well. At least we got a great version on Happy Holidays 2013 :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2017, 12:46:15 PM »

I was at a show where we got to hear the great debate but not out cry or beneath the surface. Then the next leg they removed outcry and beneath the surface completely. I was pretty pissed but then again I got to hear the great debate which was amazing and the setlist was pretty amazing other than that anyway. That's why I'm not so keen on the rotating set list. I missed two of my favorite songs from my favorite album and to this day I've never heard them live.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #206 on: November 23, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »

I was at a show where we got to hear the great debate but not out cry or beneath the surface. Then the next leg they removed outcry and beneath the surface completely. I was pretty pissed but then again I got to hear the great debate which was amazing and the setlist was pretty amazing other than that anyway. That's why I'm not so keen on the rotating set list. I missed two of my favorite songs from my favorite album and to this day I've never heard them live.

Yes, but with rotating setlists you can see a couple shows and get to see more songs. With no rotation, there's a chance they won't play the songs you prefer on the tour at all, and no one gets to see them.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »
Wow, I actually had to go back and check, because I could’ve sworn that we got Outcry AND Breaking All Illusions on that first ADTOE leg. But no, just Outcry in 2011, then BAI in 2012.
I got to see Great Debate, which was awesome, but I was unaware that they dropped it later that tour.

They could pretty much retire On the Backs of Angels and BAI as far as I’m concerned, or at least give them a break for awhile. It’s not that I don’t like them, but in the four non-Astonishing tours I’ve seen since ADTOE came out, I heard those two songs three times each.

This most recent tour was the first time I largely stayed away from setlist spoilers, and it’s a practice that I’m going to continue, because it enhanced the experience for me.
I did accidentally see that it kicked off with TDEN, but aside from that I had no idea what the first set entailed. And I was very excited to see TLF and DLPM.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »

Yes, but with rotating setlists you can see a couple shows and get to see more songs. With no rotation, there's a chance they won't play the songs you prefer on the tour at all, and no one gets to see them.

Except at the time I didn't really have much money so seeing one show was the maximum. Now that I have more money to waste I still only go to one show per leg. It's kind of a crappy feeling to know that the song was played but it eluded me by a single day

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »

Except that most fans have jobs, a family, a tight money situation, etc. that doesn't enable them to travel to see multiple shows on a tour.