Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21916 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2017, 11:45:55 PM »
Some truly fantastic footage of Don't look past me from a day or two ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TjT_GblFc

I thought they were tuning down for the songs in that era.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
JM's bass tone has always been fine on the albums.  I'd love it to be more prominent in the mix, but I usually feel that way about the bass.  It's the live tone and mixing that has never been done well IMO.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
Saw the Toronto show last night...at some point, James started to tell stories about the I&W recordings and tour, and about the time he joined the band. He said that "back then we all had jobs. John taught guitar, and Mike...what did Mike do? I think he sold pot!"

:D :D :D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:53 PM »
Saw the Toronto show last night...at some point, James started to tell stories about the I&W recordings and tour, and about the time he joined the band. He said that "back then we all had jobs. John taught guitar, and Mike...what did Mike do? I think he sold pot!"

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »

Dude, he was a chinese food delivery driver! Don't you read the liner notes to the Ytsejam releases JAMES?!

From memory, Petrucci also worked at a deli and Myung moved equipment. 

Curious what Kevin and James did....

Oh, and Charlie played weddings and stuff including Mike Portnoy's. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2017, 04:47:37 AM »
I read that too...maybe "Chinese food" was a slang for pot back then!?!?!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2017, 04:58:10 AM »
By the way, here's my review of the Toronto show - unfortunately, in Portuguese only:

https://whiplash.net/materias/shows/273708-dreamtheater.html

Offline Lethean

« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »
When James was talking about their day jobs he called over to John (who was off stage) to ask about Mike's and someone in the crowd shouted out "he sold drugs" so James said "yeah, he sold cannabis."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
When James was talking about their day jobs he called over to John (who was off stage) to ask about Mike's and someone in the crowd shouted out "he sold drugs" so James said "yeah, he sold cannabis."

:lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2017, 01:37:23 PM »

:lol his facebook post after the denver show was funny, saying along the lines of it was nice to smell the cannabis during the concert.  Having recently been to a concert in Denver, it really is noticeable (which I have no issue with).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »

:lol his facebook post after the denver show was funny, saying along the lines of it was nice to smell the cannabis during the concert.  Having recently been to a concert in Denver, it really is noticeable (which I have no issue with).

Last time I drove through Colorado, I was in the southern part so it was essentially the desert.  Stereotypical western towns, lots of pickup trucks, etc.  When we checked into our hotel there was a big sign prominently on display saying something like, "MARIJUANA IS PROHIBITED ON THIS PREMISES" and in addition to initialing the typical "I will not smoke in this room" I had to initial an "I will not possess nor smoke marijuana in the room." It took me a second to realize why this was added to the typical room contract and then I was like, "Oh yeah, Colorado."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »

Dude, he was a chinese food delivery driver! Don't you read the liner notes to the Ytsejam releases JAMES?!

You're saying "dude" to James?..  :lol That's even funnier than the joke about MP.. Because, just in case, that's all what it was.. Just some random stuff that singers use to come up with in stage to not repeat the same words over and over again.... I relive the moment ;)

A joke probably based in James' oblivion (not the song :D) that MP fanboys and/or JLB haters might hate... but just a joke at the end of the day..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »
No "Don't Look Past Me" tonight in Boston. I had seen on Facebook that they were playing it and was super pumped about seeing it. Looking now at setlist.fm, it's the only show they haven't played it, and they didn't even replace it with anything. I'm literally heartbroken over this... There's no way they'll ever bring this song back out on tour, and they just skipped right over it. I'm at a loss, and very confused. To be honest, this may have been the best DT I've seen in person since Radio City, but to know that they skipped what would be only chance to see one of the rarest DT songs in the catalog puts a bitter taste in my mouth.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »
No "Don't Look Past Me" tonight in Boston. I had seen on Facebook that they were playing it and was super pumped about seeing it. Looking now at setlist.fm, it's the only show they haven't played it, and they didn't even replace it with anything. I'm literally heartbroken over this... There's no way they'll ever bring this song back out on tour, and they just skipped right over it. I'm at a loss, and very confused. To be honest, this may have been the best DT I've seen in person since Radio City, but to know that they skipped what would be only chance to see one of the rarest DT songs in the catalog puts a bitter taste in my mouth.

Oh man... I feel your pain! I saw a concert on the Along for the Ride tour where they had technical difficulties and didn't play Illumination Theory...the crowd was so upset!!! Luckily I saw there more shows on that tour, but those who only saw that one were left with a sour taste in their mouths.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2017, 02:02:22 AM »
That's too bad. I would also be disappointed for a while.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »

Oh man... I feel your pain! I saw a concert on the Along for the Ride tour where they had technical difficulties and didn't play Illumination Theory...the crowd was so upset!!! Luckily I saw there more shows on that tour, but those who only saw that one were left with a sour taste in their mouths.

Same deal in Albany.  A little let down.  They seem to be shortening the set.   First set was a little under an hour.  And, Labrie was talking about how long they play from the stage.  The irony.  Other than that, they were great.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:57 AM »
I'm so glad they finally played Don't Look Past Me. I've been wanting to hear that song live for years now. It looks like I'll finally get the chance on Saturday.  :metal

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
Same deal in Albany.  A little let down.  They seem to be shortening the set.   First set was a little under an hour.  And, Labrie was talking about how long they play from the stage.  The irony.  Other than that, they were great.

I see that now on setlist.fm. Someone had it listed there previously. I wonder if they axed it because of the confused look on everyone's faces as they played it. :lol Anyway, I feel less bad that we weren't the only (or first) city NOT to get it on the NA tour, but if they end up putting it back in later in the tour I'll be miffed again.

On the positive side of things, I will say that the show as it stood was amazing. The Bigger Picture into Hell's Kitchen into To Live Forever was just a fantastic run of songs I hadn't heard live before. The band sounded awesome, and they (especially James) seemed more playful on stage then I've ever seen them. And Images was Images. Great album played fantastically. I forgot how great of a song Learning to Live is. Been awhile since hearing that song. My only complaint of a song they DID play was Breaking All Illusions. To me, it's not as good of a song as they, or many fans, think. I would have rather have seen Outcry or Bridges in the Sky in that spot (if only because it was my 4th time seeing BAI in 7 years).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »
Hope this change isn't permanent. If they wanted to shorten the set, not playing AIA would've been a better option. If this is because nobody really knows DLPM, they should keep playing it anyway, it's just one song from the whole set that people don't know.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
Noooo... this is terrible news as I'm seeing them tonight in the first of three times for the remaining part of the tour.  This is devastating news.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
No "Don't Look Past Me" tonight in Boston. I had seen on Facebook that they were playing it and was super pumped about seeing it. Looking now at setlist.fm, it's the only show they haven't played it

Looks like they didn't play it in Albany the night before either.  Maybe they've decided it's not getting the reaction they wanted or that James can't handle it.  While it might be well known to denizens of message boards like this one, I expect it's a bit of a head scratcher for half the audience or more.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
Hope this change isn't permanent. If they wanted to shorten the set, not playing AIA would've been a better option. If this is because nobody really knows DLPM, they should keep playing it anyway, it's just one song from the whole set that people don't know.

Disagree. When JM started playing the intro to AIA in Chicago, the crowd went NUTS.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »

For better or worse, crowds tend not to react well to songs they don't know -- especially when the singer struggles with the song -- and crowd reaction is important for a band like DT.  Frankly, I think it would have gone better if James had explained what they were doing before launching into the song.  While I had heard of the song (as a result of having bought the I&W demos from the YtseJam online store), if I hadn't looked at the set list before the show, I wouldn't have known what they were doing.

I completely disagree with doing away with As I Am, which is a crowd favorite.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

For better or worse, crowds tend not to react well to songs they don't know -- especially when the singer struggles with the song -- and crowd reaction is important for a band like DT.  Frankly, I think it would have gone better if James had explained what they were doing before launching into the song.  While I had heard of the song (as a result of having bought the I&W demos from the YtseJam online store), if I hadn't looked at the set list before the show, I wouldn't have known what they were doing.

I completely disagree with doing away with As I Am, which is a crowd favorite.

He explained the reason why they'd play that song in Toronto.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
AIA is a crowd favorite, but they've played it A LOT since 2012. They played it on the ADTOE tour, the 30th anniversary tour, the 2nd USA leg of the TA tour and now on this one. It's too much already.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
If they don't play Don't Look Past Me in Philly I'm going to be heavily disappointed.

Reminds me of the tour (don't remember which one) they started playing The Great Debate on the West Coast and dropped it completely before getting to the East. Not like it just wasn't played at my show(s), but they had decided against playing it anymore. Because at this point it would essentially mean there is 0 chance I'll ever see it (DLPM) again.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2017, 01:38:48 PM »
AIA is a crowd favorite, but they've played it A LOT since 2012. They played it on the ADTOE tour, the 30th anniversary tour, the 2nd USA leg of the TA tour and now on this one. It's too much already.

If the reason for ditching Don't Look Past Me is that it's not getting the sort of crowd reaction the band wants, ditching a song that gets a great crowd reaction (whether or not the song has been played a lot recently) is not a good alternative.  On the other hand, if, as you posited, they ditched DLPM in order "to shorten the set," then it certainly makes sense to consider other options.  However, the band might reasonably value retention of a song that gets a great crowd reaction over retaining an obscure song that doesn't get as good of a reaction simply because a minority of fans are interested in seeing that obscure/rare song played.  Ditching AIA is only "a better option" if the band values playing an obscure/rare song over getting a better crowd reaction.

I don't have any skin in the game because I've already seen the show with DLPM.  However, if I had been given a vote, I would have strongly preferred AIA over DLPM.

Online DTA

« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
If they don't play Don't Look Past Me in Philly I'm going to be heavily disappointed.

Reminds me of the tour (don't remember which one) they started playing The Great Debate on the West Coast and dropped it completely before getting to the East. Not like it just wasn't played at my show(s), but they had decided against playing it anymore. Because at this point it would essentially mean there is 0 chance I'll ever see it (DLPM) again.

I'm going to Philly too and was hesitant to attend this tour until I saw DLPM was added. I'm going to be so damn disappointed if it's not there as it's been number one on my list of DT songs I want to see live since I first heard it back in 2000.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »

I'm going to Philly too and was hesitant to attend this tour until I saw DLPM was added. I'm going to be so damn disappointed if it's not there as it's been number one on my list of DT songs I want to see live since I first heard it back in 2000.

So it's safe to say that...

You'll have a hard time looking past the fact that DLPM was dropped?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
Sons of Apollo would never disappoint their fans like that!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
#NoSetListDrops

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
 ;D :D

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »

I have no problem with them dropping it, though it would've been cool to see it live.  If they subbed in something else I wouldn't have thought much of it and that probably would have been cool.  It is just you know they could've, but they didn't.  why?  life's great mystery :).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »

Yeah I feel bad for you guys.  I saw Great Debate and it was amazing and when they dropped it later I was pretty sad for everyone seeing them later in the tour.  DLPM was cool but I could have lived without it personally.  Sad that you guys who genuinely want to hear it may not get the chance. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
Come to think of it, the live version of DLPM suffers a lot because the backing vocals are not done properly...a problem way too common in post-Portnoy DT, to be honest.