Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21912 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 07:02:24 AM »
To be fair, i dont think they ever intended TLF and DLPM to be on the album after they made AD and Surrounded. I don't think they were out to make a double album at all - at the time ACOS was 18 minutes long, which would've made an album that was 75 minutes long. (Awake was 75 minutes long, FII 78, SFAM 77, etc etc).

I thought JP said in that recent youtube video interview that they did want a double disc and the record label shot that down and he admitted later on it was the right decision.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
To be fair, i dont think they ever intended TLF and DLPM to be on the album after they made AD and Surrounded. I don't think they were out to make a double album at all - at the time ACOS was 18 minutes long, which would've made an album that was 75 minutes long. (Awake was 75 minutes long, FII 78, SFAM 77, etc etc).

I thought JP said in that recent youtube video interview that they did want a double disc and the record label shot that down and he admitted later on it was the right decision.

Yeah, he said that here: https://youtu.be/condDYqAgZI?t=5m14s
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
They did want it to be a double album, but as far as I know the "B-Side" was supposed to be just A Change Of Seasons.

Anyways, I concur with the previous posts complimenting JP and whoever else has provided input in the setlist making for the past 5-6 years. We got some of the absolute best sets in the history of the band, loads of fan service and all around a great deal of attention for the song placement ensuring an optimal flow of the show.

Anyways, here's my ultimate IAW era super-album:

Metropolis
Another Day
Don't Look Past Me
Take The Time
To Live Forever
Surrounded
Eve
Pull Me Under
Under A Glass Moon

A Change Of Seasons
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
Excited about the rarities being played, even though I love TA.

But I’ve never bothered to listen to either of them. Are there any good versions to check out so that I’m up to scratch for Chicago next week?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »
That does raise an interesting question though. If every song that was intended to be on I&W made it onto the album, what order could the album flow in without feeling redundant?

This is how I'd do it:
Disc 1
1. Pull Me Under [8:14]
2. Another Day [4:23]
3. Take The Time [8:21]
4. Don't Look Past Me [6:25]
5. Surrounded [5:30]
6. To Live Forever [4:46]
7. Under A Glass Moon [7:03]
Total: 44:40
Disc 2:
1. Metropolis [9:32]
2. Wait For Sleep [2:30]
3. Learning To Live [11:30]
4. A Change of Seasons 1991 [17:43]
Total: 41:15

Yeah, that's not a bad order at all.  The one slight change I would make is for the tape for Another Day to have mysteriously been "lost" so that, darn it, as much as that song should have made the album, it is instead lost, never to surface.  Oh well...  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
Probably obvious, but which version of TLF did they play? Which solo did JP play?
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
Probably obvious, but which version of TLF did they play? Which solo did JP play?

Same as they played it on 2012, which is the one that ended up being released on Greatest Hit... and other 21 pretty cool songs.

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32JsXAXkRHI :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »

Same as they played it on 2012, which is the one that ended up being released on Greatest Hit... and other 21 pretty cool songs.

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32JsXAXkRHI :tup

Thanks  :tup
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
I’m so excited about To Live Forever. One of my favorite DT songs.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pcs90

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »
This is awesome news. I'm only a little disappointed that they didn't do some sort of extended jam after TLF like in the 90s...but it's something!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2017, 01:28:41 AM »
 :censored >:( :censored :censored

AGGH!!! The one time I decided not to go to a Dream Theater show here in LA. I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GONE!!!!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That's awesome they played them  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:45:22 AM by TheAtliator »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2017, 04:17:45 AM »
I'm getting tickets to the Toronto show today, after learning about these changes!

But looking at the video...Labrie seems a bit lost at the beginning of the song, doesn't he?

Offline DTA

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Just bought a ticket for Philly after seeing these additions to the setlist. There's not many DT songs I haven't seen live yet, but this setlist alone will knock out 4 songs I've yet to see over the past 17 years since I first saw the M2000 tour (TLF, DLPM, TBP, and HK). Very cool of them to do. I've never been too upset by the lack of rotating setlists since I'll only wind up seeing one show anyway and they do an excellent job of switching it up from tour to tour. Rush annoyed me a bit on their 40th anniversary tour when they played One Little Victory instead of How It Is in Philly when I've seen OLV multiple times before.

Offline bill1971

Re: Don't Look Past Those Songs!
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
I hate myself so much for not having a ticket for the LA show tonight. I've always adored that song. I may have even shed a fucking tear while watching that video.

IF I had bought a ticket, I would have not spoiled the setlist for myself, and then probably legit cry when they broke into it.

(I don't have a problem..)

yeah I miss the LA show as well if it was on a Friday or weekend I might have tried to go but I've seen all the images and word song live over the years.  I did want to see the bigger picture and it would have been great to see don't look past me.  but about an hour and a half drive on a work night it's tough

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
Just saw this on setlist.fm: Portrait of Tracy - (Jaco Pastorius cover). I hate to be TAC, but who the hell is this, and why does he get cover time at a post-Portnoy DT concert?

Like the additions, not sure if I would have gone to a Seattle-area show before them, might have been more likely to go with them. But still, TDEN... ugh.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
It's a 2 minute bass spot. If Petrucci and JR get leeway to do endless guitar/keyboard solo spots, then I don't see how a 2 minute bass spot is a big deal.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
Just saw this on setlist.fm: Portrait of Tracy - (Jaco Pastorius cover). I hate to be TAC, but who the hell is this, and why does he get cover time at a post-Portnoy DT concert?

Jaco Pastorius was one of the most influential electric bass players that has ever lived. "Portrair of Tracy" is a short, solo piece for electric bass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
A 2 minute bass solo spot is far from a big deal. I am just curious who in the DT audience would recognize this piece. If I would be the only one who wouldn't, then the shame is on me.

Regardless, why not write your own bass solo?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pcs90

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »
A 2 minute bass solo spot is far from a big deal. I am just curious who in the DT audience would recognize this piece. If I would be the only one who wouldn't, then the shame is on me.

Regardless, why not write your own bass solo?

Those who listen to jazz, fusion, funk, etc will probably at least know who the guy is. And for those who don't, they can just enjoy the solo anyway. I guess I just don't see a problem with it...it's been there all tour in any case.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:50 PM »

:omg:

I resemble this remark.  :lol

I'd rather hear Moon Bubbles.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
I guess I would just be less impressed if I heard some random bass solo, the later found out "Oh yeah, Myung didn't write that, some jazz dude did." I am pretty critical of them doing all their covers, homages, tributes, etc.... so that is part of it as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »
DLPM and To Live Forever were way worth it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »
Well this is interesting. I'll be seeing them in New York Shitty on November 16. I've never even heard of the song Don't Look Past Me. I'm listening to it now and it's not doing much for me. To Live Forever is all right. I think I'd rather hear the two songs from The Astonishing but it's no big deal.

Edit: Gzarruck cool thanks for posting that video. The drum triggers weren't cool but leaving A Change of Seasons off the album was sure as shit the right move. Now we have the far superior version.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:51:42 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »
I have to give credit to Petrucci on this. I don't know if I just thought about it, or I actually posted it, but when someone before the tour started theorized about Don't Look Past Me being part of the set, my idea was that the only person keen on the idea, or that actually remembers the song even existed, is out of the band since 2010, but I was gladly proven wrong  :coolio

Well, not so gladly - I didn't see it live  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2017, 04:35:57 AM »
That's fine, I'd go for:

Disc 1

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
To Live Forever
Under a Glass Moon
Don't Look Past Me
Surrounded

Disc 2

Metropolis pt 1
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live
A Change of Seasons

Disc I:

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
To Live Forever
Surrounded
Don't Look Past Me

Disc II:

Metropolis
A Change of Seasons
Under a Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2017, 04:57:45 AM »
Updating mine slightly

Disc 1:
1. Pull Me Under
2. Don't Look Past Me
3. Take The Time
4. To Live Forever
5. Another Day
6. Under A Glass Moon
7. Surrounded

Disc 2:
1. Metropolis
2. Wait For Sleep
3. Learning To Live
4. A Change Of Seasons
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:05:34 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Don't Look Past Those Songs!
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
IIRC, when the band did a live Q&A around the time DT12 was released, somebody asked Jordan why Eve and Anna Lee (songs played by the previous two keyboardists) have never been played during all his time as a member of DT. He answered, with some sarcasm, something along the lines of "There must be a reason neither song has been played for all these years, don't you think?".

Yeah, that was me lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
IIRC, when the band did a live Q&A around the time DT12 was released, somebody asked Jordan why Eve and Anna Lee (songs played by the previous two keyboardists) have never been played during all his time as a member of DT. He answered, with some sarcasm, something along the lines of "There must be a reason neither song has been played for all these years, don't you think?".

Yeah, that was me lol

Wait...

YOU'RE the reason Anna Lee and Eve haven't been played?

Dude, what did you do to piss off the band??
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »

Yeah, that was me lol

Wait...

YOU'RE the reason Anna Lee and Eve haven't been played?

Dude, what did you do to piss off the band??

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
I went to the 10/26 show in LA.  I had seen Petrucci's post before the Oakland show about a couple of surprises in the setlist, so I checked setlist.fm and saw that they had replaced the Astonishing songs with TLF and DLPM.  I had seen TLF played several times back in 92-93.  I didn't know any of the history of the song at the time, and it always seemed like an unfinished song.  Never really impressed me, and while I expected a finished version of the song on Awake or FII, it didn't really surprise me that it never made the cut.  As far as DLPM, I was aware that it existed from the "Cleaning Out The Closet" CD, but I never actually listened to it.  A version appears on the I&W demos CD, which I bought about 5 years ago, but I can't say I really spent time listening to it.  If I hadn't looked at setlist.fm, I wouldn't have known what song it was.  The performance in LA wasn't terribly impressive, but I'll go back and check it out at some point.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »

"Who the hell is" Jaco Pastorius?  I can see not knowing Portrait of Tracy, but please tell me the sarcasm font was on there.

It was a GREAT cover, by the way, although I wished JM would've busted out a fretless bass for it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2017, 05:02:45 PM »
No sarcasm, never heard of him.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
It's a 2 minute bass spot. If Petrucci and JR get leeway to do endless guitar/keyboard solo spots, then I don't see how a 2 minute bass spot is a big deal.

If I do end up going, this solo will be a fairly major reason I change my mind.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2017, 04:17:07 AM »
No sarcasm, never heard of him.

He was great, and probably the biggest example of "troubled genius" you'll ever find. He played with Weather Report and released a few solo albums. Geddy is also a fan, and Robert Trujillo sponsored a documentary about him which is a nice watch, although a bit sad. I think you can find it on YouTube.