Author Topic: Those New Tour Songs!  (Read 21919 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Those New Tour Songs!
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
I'd love Anna Lee live, but I could live without Eve.  I know people here love it, but I find it fairly boring and certainly not a song I really want to see live over the rest of DT's catalogue.  I know people feel the same about Anna Lee too.

Heck, being blessed with having seen many DT shows and having heard everything I want to hear, I'd say I'm fine even with the infamous You Not Me.

But now I want Don't Look Past Me too  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
IMO, it would be a huge mistake and waste of set list time to play Eve.  Aside from the fact that I can't stand it, it's just not representative of their style, and only the hard-cores would appreciate it.  Most people in the audience would simply be confused and probably take an opportunity for a restroom/beer break.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
IMO, it would be a huge mistake and waste of set list time to play Eve.  Aside from the fact that I can't stand it, it's just not representative of their style, and only the hard-cores would appreciate it.  Most people in the audience would simply be confused and probably take an opportunity for a restroom/beer break.

I'd say the same thing about DLPM.

And Eve too of course.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
Never really liked Don't Look Past Me but it'll be cool to hear.  I absolutely love To Live Forever.

A little bummed they've scrapped The Astonishing set because they were playing the only songs I even like from that album. 

Also, shouldn't this thread have a spoiler warning?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
They did however tour USA twice with The Astonishing, so it makes sense that those two songs were the ones to go.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
They did however tour USA twice with The Astonishing, so it makes sense that those two songs were the ones to go.

And to poor attendance.  I'm guessing that was the reasoning to swap those songs.  They got better crowd approval when they swaped TA songs with some classic DT songs at the end of that last TA tour.  I'm thinking they figure they would get better reception to do this, plus it fits the theme. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »

And to poor attendance.  I'm guessing that was the reasoning to swap those songs.  They got better crowd approval when they swaped TA songs with some classic DT songs at the end of that last TA tour.  I'm thinking they figure they would get better reception to do this, plus it fits the theme. 

No, it doesn't really have anything to do with the attendance on the Astonishing tour.  It's because it fits the theme and is supposed to be a "fun for the fans"-type of tour. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »

No, it doesn't really have anything to do with the attendance on the Astonishing tour.  It's because it fits the theme and is supposed to be a "fun for the fans"-type of tour. 

Yea but if it's for the fans, then wouldn't they swap it with songs that are least likely to be enjoyed by the fans then?  That's really what I was trying to say.  I'd personally rather the TA songs and kick something else out of the first set, but I'm just going by the fan reaction to TA.  I'm not sure any songs from the 2000s fit the theme so figured they swapped the songs least likely to be well received and having been played most recently in NA.

Offline Evai

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »
I'd like to see You Not Me played live. Their live arrangement of it they did before was weird (Portnoy singing lead in the chorus while JLB sings high harmony? Huh?)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Don't Look Past Those Songs!
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
JP mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was thinking about doing this.  Or rather, he asked me what I thought the reaction would be if they decided to.  Obviously, my response was along the lines of:  "DO IT!!!!"

Just the fact that JP is willing to have this interaction with you (The Forum) is a great thing.

And also, if I may, since MP left, the only thing that went with him was really the Rotating Setlists and some (sometimes too forced) jams.

JP has done a masterful job creating the setlists since that first  2011 summer tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Don't Look Past Those Songs!
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
JP has done a masterful job creating the setlists since that first  2011 summer tour.

Yea, if we aren't going to get rotating setlists anymore, the static ones created have been really interesting and solid.  Doing things like SDV and DLPM are huge fan services if you ask me.  Plus they've now played all but one song since MM joined and there's no reason to think they won't play it, just about spreading the love of the newer material over time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »
but, but, muh rotating setlists #MPWarriors

I'm really looking forward to next Saturday. So I know two surprise tunes and Images & Words, the rest will be a surprise. I like the static sets, especially the older they get, it's more of an assurance of a solid performance because they're playing them night after night. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, unless you've seen the band a hundred times :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
It also appears that JP views Breaking All Illusions as THE MM Era classic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »

Yea, definitely seems that way, and it's hard to argue against that.

I think I'd still prefer the rotating setlist.  I love the feeling of not knowing what's going to be played next and it's a reason why I saw a band like 311 6 times last year and going for 5 times this year, that feeling of "whats next?" is really awesome at a concert.  Sure I could be like Kattelox and avoid the set, but this tours been a long one, I don't see how I can resist for so long.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »

Yea, definitely seems that way, and it's hard to argue against that.

I think I'd still prefer the rotating setlist. 

I do too, actually. Makes collecting bootlegs a mute point now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

Yeah.  I think 3 of his favorite DT songs to play are TSCO, Breaking All Illusions, and TDEN.  Left to his own devices, I think those three would be in all DT sets in perpetuity.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »

Yeah.  I think 3 of his favorite DT songs to play are TSCO, Breaking All Illusions, and TDEN.  Left to his own devices, I think those three would be in all DT sets in perpetuity.

He definitely seems to have an affinity to TSCO. And that's cool about TDEN. I get its criticisms but that song rocks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
Yeah, whether one likes the song or not, it's hard to deny that the riffs are REALLY tasty, so it's gotta be a blast for a guitar player to play.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
I'd like to see You Not Me played live. Their live arrangement of it they did before was weird (Portnoy singing lead in the chorus while JLB sings high harmony? Huh?)

Yeah, that's on my checklist too.  The pre-desmond arrangement for You or Me is far superior, and would be a tasty rarity. 

Having seen Astonishing live in Los Angeles area three times already, I'm totally fine with replacing those songs.  As stated above Don't Look Past Me is a huge fan service!

Offline Ad134

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
Ah man, it's a shame they probably won't be doing another Europe leg, I would kill to hear TLF alone, let alone DLPM as well!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
I've been hoping for Don't Look Past Me ever since Cleaning Out the Closet.  So happy.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
This is great thing.  Just bought tix to Albany show yesterday, and I almost didn't as I have the Astonishing 3x at this point.   Enough of the Astonishing already!    I have not heard those two songs much as I started with DT with Octavarium, Train of Thought, Six Degrees and SFAM and then everything else.  I hope they keep rotating some songs in and out from those albums to keep it interesting and a bit of a surprise for the audience at the show.  Astonishing I have seen plenty at this point that is for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »
As much as I like The Astonishing, it would not surprise me if songs from it are a rarity from this point forward. They have to know by now that the album had a very mixed reaction from fans, and with so many songs and albums to choose from, dipping into that album again might not happen very often.

JP mentioned to me a couple of months ago that he was thinking about doing this.  Or rather, he asked me what I thought the reaction would be if they decided to.  Obviously, my response was along the lines of:  "DO IT!!!!"

Just the fact that JP is willing to have this interaction with you (The Forum) is a great thing.

And also, if I may, since MP left, the only thing that went with him was really the Rotating Setlists and some (sometimes too forced) jams.

Amen to this.  The Portnoy fans can moan about the lack of rotating set lists all the live long day, but the band has done an excellent job with the set lists since 2011.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
Yup. Hopefully, the next tour will have no anniversary albums, concepts. Just full on random songs for both sets. The only time they had that since MP left was the A Dramatic Turn of Events tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »

I would honestly put it in my top ten DT songs overall, and for sure one of my favorite live tracks, it plays out so well with a live audience, especially in that first set closer spot. Just perfect for it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 06:59:25 PM »
Hell yeah  :metal DLPM is one of my favourite DT songs, glad to see it in there. Sad to see the Astonishing songs go, but I'd honestly say it's worth it to finally hear DLPM live.  ;D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
- Both were supposed to end up on IAW, were put aside in favour of AD and Surrounded

That's odd, I had always heard DLPM was supposed to be the opener before PMU was added at the last minute, I guess not then...  :justjen

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »
LOVED to log in and see this news of new rarities seeing the light of day on this tour!!!  I was happy to witness The Astonishing Tour, and it worked well live, but I'm also fine to see The Astonishing songs get dropped if this is what we get in their place!!  Now I really can't wait until the Wichita show next week!!   :metal :metal :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »
- Both were supposed to end up on IAW, were put aside in favour of AD and Surrounded
That's odd, I had always heard DLPM was supposed to be the opener before PMU was added at the last minute, I guess not then...  :justjen
PMU was never intended to be the opener, nor DLPM. The band always planned on Metropolis opening the album.

However, the label wanted PMU to open the album, and for it to be self-titled; the band disagreed with both. Eventually, a compromise was reached so that Metropolis and PMU were switched in the track order so that PMU would open the album, and the album title IaW was left as is.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »
Thanks Scotty for the facts.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »
PMU was never intended to be the opener, nor DLPM. The band always planned on Metropolis opening the album.

However, the label wanted PMU to open the album, and for it to be self-titled; the band disagreed with both. Eventually, a compromise was reached so that Metropolis and PMU were switched in the track order so that PMU would open the album, and the album title IaW was left as is.

Alright, I guess I was wrong then.

That does raise an interesting question though. If every song that was intended to be on I&W made it onto the album, what order could the album flow in without feeling redundant?

This is how I'd do it:
Disc 1
1. Pull Me Under [8:14]
2. Another Day [4:23]
3. Take The Time [8:21]
4. Don't Look Past Me [6:25]
5. Surrounded [5:30]
6. To Live Forever [4:46]
7. Under A Glass Moon [7:03]
Total: 44:40
Disc 2:
1. Metropolis [9:32]
2. Wait For Sleep [2:30]
3. Learning To Live [11:30]
4. A Change of Seasons 1991 [17:43]
Total: 41:15

Edit: Actually I'd probably switch around Surrounded & UAGM, but other than that I still stand by this.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:26:20 AM by IDontNotDoThings »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 01:05:31 AM »
That's fine, I'd go for:

Disc 1

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
To Live Forever
Under a Glass Moon
Don't Look Past Me
Surrounded

Disc 2

Metropolis pt 1
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live
A Change of Seasons
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 01:32:03 AM »
To be fair, i dont think they ever intended TLF and DLPM to be on the album after they made AD and Surrounded. I don't think they were out to make a double album at all - at the time ACOS was 18 minutes long, which would've made an album that was 75 minutes long. (Awake was 75 minutes long, FII 78, SFAM 77, etc etc).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 03:21:10 AM »
Great to hear, and now I'm even more sad they are not coming to Seattle.
Agreed, it seems to be a common trend about bands skipping Seattle lately.. Everyone is playing Portland or Spokane even though Seattle has a bigger draw. Heck, Dream Theater is skipping the entire Northwest..
 It seems as though they've lost their heart on The Astonishing songs. No dvd of the tour, and now boycotting any of the songs on the set list.. Sadness! Shrug... :-\
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:32 AM »
The inclusion of Don't Look Past Me made me so happy. I'm so sad I won't be able to see this show! Now I have to cross my fingers and hope they will release one of these shows as a Christmas treat just like they did back in 2012.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing