Author Topic: I'm getting married in about 2 weeks  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: I'm getting married in about 2 weeks
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 06:06:47 AM »
Giving cash is pretty common around here. So much so, that I decided to have some fun with it when my eldest daughter married. At the reception, I sold "dances with the bride" during the dancing part of the evening. $20.00 minimum buy in and they would get a safety pin to pin it to her dress prior to the dance. I gave a $50.00 to my son to start the line and from then on there were at least four people in line and up to as many as 10. It started to be a competition after a while. You'd see ol' ladies elbowing their husbands to get out of the chair and dance with the bride.

The sleeves, back, and two stripes down the sides of her dress were covered in hundreds, fifties and twenties. It was great fun and my son-in-law told me the cash really came in handy on their honeymoon.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 08:23:28 AM »
Giving cash is pretty common around here. So much so, that I decided to have some fun with it when my eldest daughter married. At the reception, I sold "dances with the bride" during the dancing part of the evening. $20.00 minimum buy in and they would get a safety pin to pin it to her dress prior to the dance. I gave a $50.00 to my son to start the line and from then on there were at least four people in line and up to as many as 10. It started to be a competition after a while. You'd see ol' ladies elbowing their husbands to get out of the chair and dance with the bride.

The sleeves, back, and two stripes down the sides of her dress were covered in hundreds, fifties and twenties. It was great fun and my son-in-law told me the cash really came in handy on their honeymoon.  :)

That's actually a really cool idea.  And as someone who was broke when my wife and I got married, and whose families weren't in a position to do a ton, I can say that the money IS really nice when you are just getting started and starting your household together. 

Piggybacking off that question: I'm broke as hell and have a wedding to go to on June 2nd, and also have other things I have to save for. I can maybe scrounge up $50 absolute max. Would that be okay? It's for a friend I've known most of my life, not a best friend, not somebody I hang out with often but a great guy who I've known for almost 25 years and know his family very well. I feel like that's pennies for a wedding gift but it's honestly all I can offer.

I would give the $50 and not lose a moments sleep over it.   You're not required to take out a home equity line of credit to gift at a wedding. 

I completely agree with Stadler.  But I will also suggest that maybe you talk to him at some point and say something along the lines of, "Hey, I know my little $50 may feel really meager, especially in light of how far back our friendship goes, but I'm really strapped right now and struggled to pull even that much together.  But I love you guys and wanted to do something, and that was the best I could do for right now."  If he is that good a friend, he probably implicitly knows all that already.  But sometimes, making it explicitly known pays unexpected dividends to the friendship down the line.  Just a thought.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »
i worked weddings for years when I was in college. Not to imply I am an expert, but as a disclaimer. I always thought that "money dances" are extremely tacky. But I also saw many of them at the receptions I worked, and they usually seemed to go over big. So what do I know?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
i worked weddings for years when I was in college. Not to imply I am an expert, but as a disclaimer. I always thought that "money dances" are extremely tacky. But I also saw many of them at the receptions I worked, and they usually seemed to go over big. So what do I know?

Yeah, I felt the same way when I was single.  In a way, it is kinda tacky.  But I think that once you are married and/or older, you kinda "get it" that it's not a means of bilking you out of your money.  It's an acknowledgement that young couples can really use the help and really appreciate it after the fact. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:03 PM »
And always remember, the number one cause of divorce is marriage.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi