Author Topic: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad? (completed)  (Read 31603 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad? (Round THREE results)
« Reply #385 on: November 16, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Just remembered another excellent album from 2016, oh shit. :lol Hey Rich, do you mind if I take another 24 hours to send?
Of course dude, no problem.

I have some more prog metal if you want, Ev!

I know! I'm kinda trying to avoid prog metal though after my near fiasco with Vanden Plas. Imagine if I send your album and Rich trashes it with 4/10 or something. :lol
Depends what you mean by prog metal. You achieved the highest score so far with what was essentially a prog metal album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad? (Round THREE results)
« Reply #386 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
Just remembered another excellent album from 2016, oh shit. :lol Hey Rich, do you mind if I take another 24 hours to send?

Fucking slackers, I had two albums at the ready within 30 seconds...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #387 on: November 16, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
:lol

In fairness, Nekov has submitted twice already. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: November 16, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »
:blush
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #389 on: November 16, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm relistening to all my potential submissions to decide

I was considering that anciients album tbh but I think i have a few i like more so

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »
Yeah, and my worry with the Anciients is that its a grower. It kind of appealed to me at first, and was familiar with their debut, but I would guarantee it's been played nearly twice as much as any other album the past six months for me. Beast level shit there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
I haven't come back to it in a while but spun it again and found it pretty solid like I remembered

Not top tier stuff for me though so ehh

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »
ariich what are your thoughts on black metal style vocals. i'm wondering 'cause i see a lot of black metal albums in your ratings rated really low so i have to assume you're pretty averse but i dunno for sure

the album i have in mind is probably too heavy for you anyways but i dunno for sure but i worry the vocals will be the most offputting part :B

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
Just submit it. No guts no glory....

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
you just want me to get eliminated :neverusethis:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2017, 11:58:54 PM »
Do "black metal vocals" have a precise definition beyond just harsh vocals? There's plenty of stuff I've rated highly that has prominent harsh vocals (BTBAM, Opeth, In Flames, Alcest, Scar Symmetry, etc) though these normally also have clean vocals too. I don't know about black metal vocals as I don't really know what that means.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2017, 12:09:23 AM »
Black metal vocals are usually high shrieks or squeals instead of the lower ‘growls’ in de bands you mention.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: November 17, 2017, 12:52:19 AM »
i generally see them as a lot more "raspy" than death/core style growls
alcest is the closest in that vein out of everything listed
anyways i think i'm gonna send something else anyways because i'm just not confident in sending this specific album to anyone despite liking it a lot (probably my #2 album of the year behind the new hirsch effekt but i am gonna continue to hold out until i can send anamnesis)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
Still only two out of four have submitted...

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
wow and I thought I was being slow

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Damn slackers

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: November 17, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »
Screw it, I'm sending right now and preparing for my elimination.

Edit: and sent. The album is kinda appropriate now that we're approaching winter pretty soon.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:22:56 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #402 on: November 17, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
I've just remembered an excellent album from 2016. I'm going to give it a spin but I think I know what I'm sending. Let's hope Rich likes melodic death metal I guess.
...borknagar? comes to mind based on both this comment and your recent one

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Screw it, I'm sending right now and preparing for my elimination.

No need to worry, I'm getting the axe this time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: November 17, 2017, 12:31:06 PM »
I've just remembered an excellent album from 2016. I'm going to give it a spin but I think I know what I'm sending. Let's hope Rich likes melodic death metal I guess.
...borknagar? comes to mind based on both this comment and your recent one

Oh shit, that would've been a good one to send too. But no, I went with Insomnium - Winter's Gate.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: November 17, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Ooh, right
The one I actually have between the too  :lol
It's pretty solid though I never fell in love with it, ariich will probably like it more than I do though
I actually sent an album I got from my last roulette cause I'm still holding out hope I can send anamnesis next round e.e

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: November 17, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
In the last couple of rounds I lost all hope that I will be able to send the albums that I want, these themes are killing me

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: November 17, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
Yeah I really genuinely feel themed rounds were a massive mistake

At the very least if they were made known from the start I could plan around them, the way they're done here is counterproductive to getting the best albums you possibly can from all participants imo

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
I get that, but I think it does add a little challenge that is fun. In Rich's case it's complicated because he already knows so many bands. But I've had lots of fun in other roulettes with themes

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
I don't mind themed rounds if they're known in advance because I can work around that somewhat though I'm usually not too happy about it regardless

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
I don't mind themed rounds if they're known in advance because I can work around that somewhat though I'm usually not too happy about it regardless
That does make sense, I'll bear it in mind for next time I do a roulette. I do themes because (1) it adds a fun bit of challenge to the competition, and confers a slight advantage to people who listen to a bigger variety of music, like I do, and (2) I feel I end up with a bigger variety of styles and ideas than all open rounds. The reason I've not posted themes in advance is that I like having a bit of flexibility in what to do for each round, based on what I've received so far. But I appreciate that makes it harder for you guys. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
Aside from this round all the albums I've sent were on my shortlist of about 10 albums so I can assure you the variety probably wouldn't have been too different at least in my case

There's one other album I haven't had a chance to send either and at this rate it might not be sent until the finals if at all  :lol

assuming I even get there, which I will

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #412 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
I can't speak for Ariich, but in running my own roulette (It's not me this time; I'm still waiting for two submissions!!!) it'd be overwhelming without the themes.   As it is, I'm finding it hard compare and contrast the songs I'm sent, but still be objective.  It'd be impossible to, say, compare a three minute pop song with a 14:00 prog opera epic, part IV.  I think next time I might do different themes, but I think they're good to narrow the playing field. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
Submissions now all in! Three of the bands I've never even heard of, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Black Peaks - Statues
Insomnium - Winter's Gate
Lonely Robot - The Big Dream
Semistereo - Trans Earth Injection

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: November 18, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
congrats to ev for winning the round, anywho

i wasn't super impressed by lonely robot in my roulette but i never checked out the album so who knows might be better songs on it
neeeever heard of semistereo so congrats on that elite.
oh yeah, elite sent semistereo nekov sent lonely robot ev sent insomnium i sent black peaks alright

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: November 20, 2017, 06:11:16 PM »
This thread is way too silent, what's going on?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #416 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
Sorry chaps, am a little behind, but catching up. Wife is pregnant and there was a bit of a worry about the baby, so along with all the other stuff we've had going on, we've also been in and out of hospital for various checks and I haven't been in the office since Thursday (though I've worked from home on and off). Anyway, got the all clear today, nothing to worry about, so am now getting caught up. Should be good to finish the round by the end of the week at the latest.

Any by the way, despite almost everyone crying shame over the themes killing them, this is a really strong round! Maybe the strongest so far, or at least most consistently good.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #417 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
Family comes first there Rich.  Glad to hear everything is all right.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: November 21, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
I'm glad to hear everythings OK with the wife and the baby. You take your time, the worst thing that could happen is that Parama will have more days to say how his album is the best one and whatnot  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: November 21, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
Darn, if everyone sent good stuff then I'm screwed  :corn