Author Topic: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad? (completed)  (Read 31274 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad?
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
 :lol

If I don't get a chance to send you the album I'm currently listening to right now I'll be upset

This.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »
ROUND ONE RESULTS

Winner: Elite – 8.5/10
Toehider – What Kind of Creature Am I? [2014]

Parama was sort of onto something when he noticed that this was the first album I went to for a second listen. It wasn’t my favourite at the time, in fact I didn’t really know what to think. But I was intrigued and felt like I needed another listen to get my head around it. And I did indeed, and it’s excellent! Kinda reminds of me of Devin Townsend with some post-hardcore influences thrown in here and there. Quirky, theatrical and bonkers at times, but also with enough sincere moments to prevent it becoming too “out-there” (at least for me, as someone who isn’t put off by the quirks). I know this definitely wouldn’t be for everyone and it took me a few listens for it to sink in, but what an excellent discovery for only the first round! The last track is kind of annoying and brings it down slightly, but as it’s right at the end, I can just ignore it.
Standouts: Whatever Makes You Feel Superior, What Kind of Creature am I, Under the Future We Bury the Past, Meet the Sloth

Nekov – 8/10
Papadosio – Pattern Integrities [2016]

The only non rock/metal album of the bunch, and I dig it loads, as I did on the very first listen. A great fusion of rock, jazz, electronica, all with a lovely chilled out vibe. The album achieves a really nice balance whereby it has enough going on (jazzy chords, etc.) to make it interesting for a proper listen, while at the same time it creates a soft and really nice vibe that makes it great for background music too. I can see myself listening to this a lot. Not too much else to say really.
Standouts: Threes, Vactrollio

Stadler – 8/10
Rainbow – Rising [1976]

As much as I was amused by Stads’ uncharacteristically brief (2-word) submission, he’s sort of right that the album speaks for itself. Not really sure why I’ve never really listened to Rainbow before, but I really dig this album a lot. I was familiar with Stargazer because of the DT cover, and it’s a great song. I also absolutely love Run With the Wolf, which has a superb groove to it that I wasn’t really expecting. Tarot Woman and A Light in the Black are also really good, and the other two tracks while less exciting are still solid. All round a top-notch album and a pleasant surprise to discover something 40 years old I hadn’t already heard, and enjoy it this much!
Standouts: Run With the Wolf, Stargazer

Parama – 7.5/10
East of the Wall – The Apologist [2011]

A pretty intense listen, probably the opposite end of the spectrum from the Papadosio album but great for totally different reasons. Despite your claim that it takes a number of listens to get it, I found it grabbed me on the first listen. If anything, it all ran together a bit more on subsequent listens. It feels like it sits somewhere between Thrice and Intronaut with a bunch of other influences in the mix too. Some good melodies, excellent riffs and all round a pretty bleak and heavy mood. Very powerful music and some great instrumental sections.
Standouts: Naif, The Apologist

Jingle – 7/10
Darwin’s Radio – Template for a Generation [2009]

I’d never heard of Darwin’s Radio before, but this is a nice album with lots to enjoy. Plenty of cool proggy ideas and it’s pretty consistently good throughout, though very little stands out as very memorable or exciting apart from some nice riffs in Breathe It In. I think it might have benefited from tighter production perhaps – it’s a little rough around the edges. After one listen each I did prefer this to the other two 7/10 albums from this round, but whereas those improved once I got to know them, this didn’t really change and I think the production was a feature of that. But still, definitely a nice album and it’ll get more listens in future!
Standouts: The Illusion is Freedom, Breathe It In

Evermind – 7/10
Vanden Plas – Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld II [2015]

I appreciate you sending this even though I’ve rated a Vanden Plas album before (and only 2.5 stars, or 5/10, at that), because they’ve clearly come a long way since then and I don’t know that I’d necessarily have checked out their more recent work otherwise. This is a lot more interesting and has some very great melodies that I’ve found stuck in my head at times. There’s also some nice development of ideas – in particular, while there are a couple of things about Blood of Eden I’m not so keen on (mainly a couple of vocal sections that sound a bit weak), it has some terrific tunes and lovely use of recurring themes. But while it’s the most memorable of the 7/10s, I also found it the least consistent and there are definitely some parts that lose my interest. But I’ll be sure to check out some more of their recent output now.
Standouts: Stone Roses Edge, Blood of Eden

lonestar – 7/10
Speaking to Stones – Elements [2012]

To be honest, after the first couple of listens, I thought this might be the album for elimination. I liked it, but I didn’t really find much of it very exciting apart from the odd moment in the opening and closing tracks. But it’s definitely a grower – the second listen was already better than the first, and then on the third some of the sections really stood out. They’re a little reminiscent of Beyond the Bridge, if not as interesting. I think each of the songs meanders a bit, which holds it back and probably affected my initial reaction, but after more listens there are some cracking sections within those songs and overall I like the album quite a bit now. 
Standouts: Water, Quita Essentia

TIEBREAKER

A tiebreaker already you say? Jingle, Evermind and lonestar all got the lowest score of 7/10 (which really isn’t bad by the way). Madness! As I said before, tiebreakers will be a single song, but otherwise following all the same rules as the main rounds.

THE TWIST: Seeing as all three of you sent me prog for round 1, prog is NOT ALLOWED for the tiebreaker. Send me something non-prog. Go!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Ariich's ALBUM Roulette; or, Is The Man Completely Mad? (ROUND ONE RESULTS)
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
Ehh, fair enough  :corn
For what it's worth I didn't reeeally get into The Apologist until after i came back to it like a month later, anywho, I'd have felt about the same as you do here when I was first spinning it

Anyways will round 2 have a theme? If so would like to know now so I can prepare & decide on stuff

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
Now I can ask:  where, exactly, is the toe hidden? Is it completely hidden or just camoflagued?  Why is the toe hidden?  Is it embarrassed?  On the lam from the law?   I need info.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Hahaha wow.

You might need to wait for like 24 hours for my song, I'm not sure I'll be able to send today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
Now I can ask:  where, exactly, is the toe hidden? Is it completely hidden or just camoflagued?  Why is the toe hidden?  Is it embarrassed?  On the lam from the law?   I need info.

Don't be a heel.   ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
I just listened to the song "This Conversation Is Over". Cool song, but the verse vocal melody line is straight out of Night Ranger (specifically "Rain Comes Crashing Down":  https://www.bing.com/search?q=rain+comes+crashing+down&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=)

Doesn't make it bad; if anything it's a cool melody.  And I like the guy's voice.  Where are they from?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
Something non prog? That cuts out about 80% of my available tracks, most of what I got can be placed under that prog umbrella.

But I'm sure I got something around that'll do the trick...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Something non prog? That cuts out about 80% of my available tracks, most of what I got can be placed under that prog umbrella.

But I'm sure I got something around that'll do the trick...
Hence the challenge!

Hahaha wow.

You might need to wait for like 24 hours for my song, I'm not sure I'll be able to send today.
No worries, if you can all get me something at some point tomorrow, that's cool. I finished Round One slightly early, so we're on track, and I'll be able to turn the tiebreaker around quickly. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2017, 03:05:40 PM »
Ehh, fair enough  :corn
For what it's worth I didn't reeeally get into The Apologist until after i came back to it like a month later, anywho, I'd have felt about the same as you do here when I was first spinning it
For sure, things can always grow more over longer timescales/after a break, but honestly I dig the album. I'll check out more of their work too once the roulette is over, assuming it's worth doing so?

Anyways will round 2 have a theme? If so would like to know now so I can prepare & decide on stuff
It will have a theme but it's not a particularly complex one. I'll post it once the tiebreaker submissions are in so that everyone's in the same position.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
Awesome!  :D I thought those guys would be up your alley since they mix styles quite well. My favorite from them it's T.E.T.I.O.S but since it's  a double album it was not a choice here.

Now let the tiebreaker  carnage begin!

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
Sent...prepare your face bro...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »
You are ridiculously efficient.

And I should probably clarify the twist for the tiebreaker - songs submitted can be "proggy" in the sense of longer songs, unusual structure etc. as plenty of non-prog bands have done this. I'm not demanding only 4-minute verse-chorus songs. Just not what we at DTF would typically call "prog".

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
I like some of the other EotW stuff (about half of Ressentiment is great) but they are very hit and miss especislly with the rotating band members, their 2013 lost their bassist/primary harsh vocalist and it just wasn't the same  :'(
Fortunately two guys from the band got together with a bassist and put out the best album of 2013 anyways, which I might send at some point if there's like an instrumental round or something

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2017, 03:21:05 PM »
You're always welcome to submit instrumental albums. Nekov's was this round, and he scored well. I can be fairly picky with instrumental music though, especially if it feels to me like it's just songs without the vocals like a lot of instrumental rock and metal is.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
You are ridiculously efficient.

That should count for something.... :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
You're always welcome to submit instrumental albums. Nekov's was this round, and he scored well. I can be fairly picky with instrumental music though, especially if it feels to me like it's just songs without the vocals like a lot of instrumental rock and metal is.
I'm hesitant because while I love it now, I hated it at first & didn't get into it for like half a year

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
If I'm going down, I'm going down in a full on blaze of glory.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2017, 04:02:12 PM »
:victorydance:

Glad you liked that one, I though it might just work! I agree on the last track though, the first time I heard that one I felt a little cheated, thinking 'now why would he do that? end the album on such a different note?' Now I don't really mind, because I know what to expect, but the track certainly comes out of nowhere :lol The album reminded me of Queen quite a bit, especially in his vocal lines ('Whatever Makes You Feel Superior' is a good example). Nice picks for favourite tracks as well; I personally enjoy singing along to the "chorus" of 'Whoa!' a lot and think 'Spoilt for Choice' works really well as a ballad, despite the weird lyrics - something that's present on the whole album by the way. Glad you didn't mind the quirkiness, because as you said, I'm pretty sure that could turn off people just as well.

Now to follow this one up with something else! :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »
Whoa! was originally on my list of standouts too for exactly that reason, but I decided I couldn't have like half the album so needed to drop one. :lol

And yeah it was a risky choice, but it paid off.

On a related note, I've decided how I will factor in previous rounds.

Each round has a 10/10 score obviously.
Added to that will be half the average score of all previous rounds (i.e. up to a maximum of 5).
Added to that will be 0.5 points per round won - i.e. an extra bonus for winning a round.

So consistency will be rewarded as will winning rounds.

Also once we're down to two contestants we'll have a final where all previous scores become irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:16:03 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »
...prepare your face bro...

If I'm going down, I'm going down in a full on blaze of glory.

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
Sending one of my favourite songs ever in a few minutes. Probably going to get me eliminated, I've had mixed results with that song in roulettes.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
Did I get the song before

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

I don't think you did. I remember Bolsters did (and he loved it) and Train did (and he pretty much said it was boring as hell). I probably thought your reaction was going to be similar to Train's so I avoided sending it.

And sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »

I don't think you did. I remember Bolsters did (and he loved it) and Train did (and he pretty much said it was boring as hell). I probably thought your reaction was going to be similar to Train's so I avoided sending it.

And sent.

You're going against the fogeys, should be a piece of cake  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »

And sent.

You're going against the fogeys, should be a piece of cake  ;)

Fogeys listen to good music too!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
Ok, tiebreaker submissions are all in. Also I confused Stads and he sent a round 2 submission by mistake. :lol

I have an initial thought on ranking the three songs, but I'll give it to tomorrow to let them sink in more.

In the meantime, let's kick off round 2 so that people have a bit of time to have a think on what to submit. Those who are definitely in round 2, feel free to submit whenever you're ready! So without further ado...

ROUND TWO: GET SHORTY

I do enjoy long albums when they cover a lot of ground and really take you on a journey. But there's also something to be said for more concise albums too. While we still have quite a few contestants, I figured this would be a good time to have a shorter-album round.

The maximum length for this round is equivalent to an old 12-inch LP, i.e. 45 minutes. No minimum length. All other rules as standard.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
Wow, and you're doing this round when Rainbow Rising is already sent. It would've been like my very first choice for this round.

That is, of course, if I survive the tiebreaker.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
Actually pretty okay with this theme, my last submission was only like 47 minutes

Off the top of my head one album in particular springs to mind but I'll double check my list first

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
Well, that really complicates things. I just looked through a couple of things I was intending to send that are shorter but none of them below the 45 minute mark (one is 47:18 :getoffmylawn:). I'll see what I can dig up

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
Yeah, is the 45-minutes a hard limit? I've got two albums I instantly thought of that are in the 45:30 - 46:00 minutes range.