Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 235703 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #4480 on: January 16, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »
When it rains it pours.

Received a text message from my lovely new account manager informing me that she took it upon herself to schedule an interview with a potential new employee today at 11 AM.  Mind you she has no idea the operations here nor what my normal schedule is like... as when she came up here to meet me, she didn't give 2 shits about learning my account. Anyways....  On Wednesdays, we have a cleaning crew who comes in and spends 20-40 minutes cleaning my office. When this is happening, the office has to be vacated... meaning you've got to go stand outside. It's been raining all week. I'm not going to interview someone outside in the rain :lol

So on top of that, I came in to a shit ton of issues that sprung up over the night. An attempted burglary, a possibly separate instance of burglary or squatting (due to the rain), another incident that happened right off property which we were kinda involved in, some technically issues with our cameras system and a lack of urgency or caring from the people who are supposed to handle it and OH YES THIS INTERVIEW WHICH I DID NOT SCHEDULE. Plus I need to discuss promotions and raises for my team with my boss. *head desk*

The good news is my boss (the big boss- Owner of the company) was not aware that the account manager did what she did and totally understands why I am annoyed at it. He's going to tell her to at least confer with me before scheduling things on my behalf.  I think she only did it because she assumes that I just am sitting on things and not making an effort to hire someone. 80% of the responses I get from our ads are trash or people who have previously worked with us (who are no longer with us for reasons) or people who have interviewed in the past or scheduled interviews and never showed up. Hell I had someone scheduled to interview on Monday... he called 5 minutes before the interview and said he was sick and not making it. We rescheduled for Tues. He calls an hour AFTER his scheduled interview and basically said "Oh yea I had an interview scheduled earlier... I'll call back later " (because I wasn't currently at the desk). I'm trying damnit.

/rant
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4481 on: January 16, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »
One day Jay, one day I will understand why you feel the need to make your life more miserable by working a job that causes you almost nothing but grief. You're a mystery until then.

The psychologist in me is quite intrigued by what that reason is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4482 on: January 16, 2019, 02:40:17 PM »
I wonder what my shrink will say when I finally get one and tell them these stories.

The good news is the interview went well and I think I am hiring the kid. Which reminds me, I need to call him and start that process.  Also I technically just got a raise again so there's that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #4483 on: January 16, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
I wonder what my shrink will say when I finally get one and tell them these stories.

I'll let you know when we finish our first session.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4484 on: January 16, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »

Funny enough, my insurance won't cover mental health w/out a referral. I got a referral from my PCP, and my insurance company denied it telling me that I need a THEM to refer me... so... yea.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4485 on: January 16, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »

The good news is the interview went well and I think I am hiring the kid. Which reminds me, I need to call him and start that process.  Also I technically just got a raise again so there's that.

Maybe that new account manager knew this hire would work and scheduled to get that person in asap?

Online Adami

« Reply #4486 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »

Funny enough, my insurance won't cover mental health w/out a referral. I got a referral from my PCP, and my insurance company denied it telling me that I need a THEM to refer me... so... yea.

A lot of HMOs have a list of approved therapist that they work with. So most people find their therapist through their insurance company.

It's one of the reasons I quit the field in 2012, even though I eventually came back. Also one of the reasons I'm enjoying working in a University counseling center. Students can just come without trying to figure out if their insurance is okay with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4487 on: January 16, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »

Maybe that new account manager knew this hire would work and scheduled to get that person in asap?

Doubt it. She has insinuated that I don't hire people so I can keep giving certain employees Overtime. I'm not the only person she does this type of thing with. I'm just the worst account right now when it comes to staffing. We are also in a different county than the main office, and she totally doesn't get the employment climate here.

A lot of HMOs have a list of approved therapist that they work with. So most people find their therapist through their insurance company.

It's one of the reasons I quit the field in 2012, even though I eventually came back. Also one of the reasons I'm enjoying working in a University counseling center. Students can just come without trying to figure out if their insurance is okay with it.

It's really frustrating. The last thing someone looking for mental health help should have to do is jump through hoops.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4488 on: January 17, 2019, 07:57:56 AM »

That blows me away.  I don't mean this to be snide or to inject politics into this discussion, but the impression here on the East Coast is that California is basically Woodstock on Wheels, and the healthcare programs basically provide for everything short of happy endings for therapeutic purposes.  I know for me, my healthcare programs have included mental health care for years (my biggest hurdle is finding therapist that will tell me what I want to hear I like within network). 

It truly stuns me that the land of "sanctuary for all that seek it" won't let you proactively seek therapy if you feel you need it.  I think - again, not a political statement but a practical one - that explains a lot about the state of affairs in our country right now. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4489 on: January 17, 2019, 08:00:51 AM »
You can always get therapy, if you pay out of pocket.

But your HMO (and only the gov if you're under ACA) decides who they pay and who they won't. And their lists are very short (unless it's amazing insurance) and are very restrictive. You may only get 4-6 sessions before they stop paying. And often times they will just decide not to pay the therapist anyway. It's a problem with insurance companies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4490 on: January 17, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
Sounds more like a problem with how our society treats mental health

and maybe the California solution is to speak to a budtender  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4491 on: January 17, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »

But your HMO (and only the gov if you're under ACA) decides who they pay and who they won't. And their lists are very short (unless it's amazing insurance) and are very restrictive. You may only get 4-6 sessions before they stop paying. And often times they will just decide not to pay the therapist anyway. It's a problem with insurance companies.

Well, the ultimate problem is NOT the insurance companies, it's the client. They decide the parameters of the program, which drives who should get what, but that's for another thread.  I'm a HUGE advocate for severing the employer/healthcare supplier nexus, but I can't lie: this is one of the few advantages of that connection.  Maybe it's just the companies I've worked for, but the three I have worked for have been very open to the idea of proactive, preventative mental health care and have mandated their inclusion in the healthcare packages offered to their employees.

Online Adami

« Reply #4492 on: January 17, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »

Well, the ultimate problem is NOT the insurance companies, it's the client. They decide the parameters of the program, which drives who should get what, but that's for another thread.  I'm a HUGE advocate for severing the employer/healthcare supplier nexus, but I can't lie: this is one of the few advantages of that connection.  Maybe it's just the companies I've worked for, but the three I have worked for have been very open to the idea of proactive, preventative mental health care and have mandated their inclusion in the healthcare packages offered to their employees.

Not always that easy. Most insurance companies don't have open ended options for the client to choose. They usually do have a limited list of therapists who they work with. It has nothing to do with the client. The client is usually just restricted by price. As I said, if they pay a tremendous amount of money, they can afford an insurance company with a ton of options. But most people who really need therapy don't have the resources to be so choosy and often get the minimum possible services. It's not just a matter of choice always.

And most of the client's I've seen have personal insurance. In California, at least in LA, it was becoming increasingly popular for companies to hire people at a "part time" status where they work a considerable amount of hours, but don't actually qualify for any benefits.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4493 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »
Hey everyone. I don't post in this thread, I don't even lurk. But I wanted to write something and wasn't sure where to put it. I don't do social media so pardon me for using this as my platform.

In 2006 my life was getting back on track after going off the rails a bit. I was turning 30, coming off probation for a criminal offense, and dealing with a miserable job, no good social network or support, and trying to figure out where my life was and where it was going.

On a whim, I decided to get a pet. I only had one pet growing up and it always felt like my dad's. He was the one who took him for walks, fed him, and all that sort of thing. I met someone on Craiglist who had to get rid of their cat because they were moving to a place that didn't allow them (I don't think you can even do this anymore on Craiglist). She was about 1 year old and her name was Twinkles (or maybe it was Sparkles). Not to get all TOXIC MASCULINITY here but there was no way I was going to own a cat named Twinkles so when we got home I renamed her Sally. I lived alone and it was the first time I was responsible for not only a pet, but also for someone other than myself.

We bonded quickly and she was so easy to care for. A little while later I met the woman who I am now married to. She is more of a dog person and allergic to some cats, but fortunately for my marriage not Sally. We bought our house got her a dog, had two kids, and Sally was with us (me) for the whole ride.

Last week she seemed very lethargic and we noticed she wasn't eating. I picked her up and felt she had lost some weight. I took her to the vet and they ran some labs and realized her kidneys were failing. It was a chronic condition and had been developing for awhile, and only now toward the end was she feeling the effects of it. We gave her some antibiotics and some fluids but they did not anticipate any long term recovery.

I had a plan to take her to the vet to put her to sleep this weekend if her condition worsened. Sally always slept on my legs or chest in some manner but hasn't since she got sick, and last night I curled up on the floor with her. She was visibly tired and started looking like she had the chills. We laid there for a while and then I dozed off. I woke up in the middle of the night and heard her breathing get heavy. I was able to cuddle with her and give her some love as she fell asleep. I was hoping she would fall asleep at home with me next to her instead of at the vet, or while I was away at work.

It is scary to think she deteriorated that much in a week but I am comforted by the fact that up till then she was her normal, usual self. My wife has been amazing through this, realizing she always recognized she was "my" cat. This is my 7 year old's first death and I think she is handling it appropriately.

It is not a stretch to say that Sally taught me how to take care of someone, and that I would not have been the husband and father I am today without that. I can say with 100% confidence I am a better person because of her. Thank you, Sally.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4494 on: January 17, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
damn, thats sad.  Sorry Chris.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4495 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
Sorry man :( So did she pass next to you at home? Did I read that right?

This is one of my favorite pics, I like to offer it up whenever I hear a story like this:

It infuriates me when people refer to a pet as "just a pet". I had to pick up weekend shifts at a second job recently, and I knew my right off the bat my new boss was a prick when he said "We had a call out today. I guess it's a thing now to take the whole day off when you put your cat down".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4496 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:59 AM »
I feel for you Chris.  We just bought our new house and we had to put our child, "Rikki" down.  He was a orange tabby.  We were heartbroken.  We have 2 awesome cats now, Harry, and of all names, Sally.  They are 14.  Getting up there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4497 on: January 17, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
Brohugs for you dude.  I know a bit of where you're coming from, but not to the extent of what Sally's impact on your life at such a pivotal time was.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4498 on: January 17, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
I've been having a rough day yesterday and today as well, just work kicking my ass being super busy and so much going on that I need to be on top of.  I've been getting frustrated and just mad at everything here and this continued from the moment I got in today.

But one of the network engineers who has been riding me gave me a really nice comment about my work "is beautifully done"  which kind of just made my day so much better that someone appreciated my efforts lately. 

And then I logged into my checking account and found I got a nice extra pay check, it's actually my stock payouts I get quarterly now for a while from the company buyout over the summer, but I forgot about it and kind of feels like I just got some extra cash (which it really is, I'm not working "extra" for it or anything just doing my job) and now I feel like a million bucks.  Ok, a thousand bucks. But you get the point.  Just when I was feeling like things couldn't get any worse, my day brightens up big time. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4499 on: January 17, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
Do I know anyone in Boston?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4500 on: January 17, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »
Why yes you do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #4501 on: January 17, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4502 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:25 PM »
Me, me, me!!  Also Rumborak!

Online Adami

« Reply #4503 on: January 17, 2019, 07:07:12 PM »
You’re not even in the same state!

Well I’ll be in Boston for an interview next weekend.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4504 on: January 17, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Well we must have a meetup! I'll message Rumborak. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4505 on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »
We can meet at Cheers!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4506 on: January 17, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
Let me tell you there is better bars than that fake bar.  Really,  not worth it. I want you to enjoy the culture and food/beer.

Online Adami

« Reply #4507 on: January 17, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »
Oh man, you’re going to be so confused by a non drinking vegetarian.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4508 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
Union City Oyster  House. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4509 on: January 18, 2019, 05:15:09 AM »
Oh man, you’re going to be so confused by a non drinking vegetarian.

Not if we go to an awesome vegan restaurant.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4510 on: January 18, 2019, 05:24:56 AM »
Gotta say, I think that's the first time I've ever seen 'vegan' and 'awesome' used back-to-back in the same sentence.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4511 on: January 18, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »
Craig Ferguson - who I thought was hilarious until I saw him live, and now I KNOW he's hilarious - is vegan, and he had a fantastic line about that during his standup show.  I'm not going to repeat it here, because out of context and with the risk of not getting it verbatim it has too high a chance of being homophobic, but it's worth searching out if you can find it (or wait until his next Netflix special). 

Online Adami

« Reply #4512 on: January 18, 2019, 06:57:55 AM »
Not a vegan. I can actually eat at most places as long as they aren't almost entirely meat.

Although I have noticed a recent trend to erase vegetarians from consideration. Everything seems to be meat or vegan. Sucks for guys like me that just don't eat meat but don't live off veggies and weird vegan creations like beatloaf.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4513 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »
I know that but the place make great dishes.  I talked to Rumbo.  He'll be in Vermont.  He was upset he can't meet you.

I can find a place to eat Adami.  PM me where you will be in Boston. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4514 on: January 18, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »
I know that but the place make great dishes.  I talked to Rumbo.  He'll be in Vermont.  He was upset he can't meet you.

I can find a place to eat Adami.  PM me where you will be in Boston.

No idea where yet. My interview is at Boston College so it'll be not too far from that. I know I arrive on the 26th at night and leave the 29th with the 27th being my full day free and then the 28th after my interview, so like after 3pm or so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com