Author Topic: DTF chat thread v. 2049  (Read 236074 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF chat thread v. 2049
« Reply #3885 on: November 12, 2018, 12:18:59 PM »
But I never left!

Oh look, another fire.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3886 on: November 12, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
Huh...just realized I haven't posted in forever.

Morning, fools.
All the cool kids are coming back!

Where?  All I see is you and milahh.
Just wait.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3887 on: November 12, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »
Kids?  LOL

Yo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #3888 on: November 12, 2018, 08:58:40 PM »
It is I.

Oh wait, "cool"?

Guess I'll see you guys some other time...

:lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3889 on: November 13, 2018, 05:06:41 AM »
Good morning dudes

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3890 on: November 13, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
Morning Reap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3891 on: November 13, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
Hey hey
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3892 on: November 13, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »
Ugly morning here.  Pouring like a mofo.  My buddy is installing to storm doors on our porch but I think with the rain he will not finish today.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3893 on: November 13, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
We had over 4 inches of rain yesterday, with more to come today. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3894 on: November 13, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
Yeah, big time rain. Got the day off so I figured it was a good time to fix some down spouts. :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3895 on: November 13, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
Second the motion on the rain.   And it's cold too, so it's miserable.   :tdwn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3896 on: November 13, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
Looking at my gutters spill over with water on the porch reminds me I need to clean them out. :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3897 on: November 13, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
The rain completely screwed the trains this morning...my intended on was cancelled, the next one was delayed by (allegedly) ~20 minutes, so I said "screw it" and walked back to the car and drove to work instead.  When I got here, I looked, and that next train still hadn't come, and would have been at least another 15 minutes even from then.  What a mess.  Gotta love NJT.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3898 on: November 13, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
The rain completely screwed the trains this morning...my intended on was cancelled, the next one was delayed by (allegedly) ~20 minutes, so I said "screw it" and walked back to the car and drove to work instead.  When I got here, I looked, and that next train still hadn't come, and would have been at least another 15 minutes even from then.  What a mess.  Gotta love NJT.
But they're so luxurious!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3899 on: November 13, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »

I know those feels. I left the train station after half an hour and two trains coming through the station without picking up passengers. Evidently there was a fatality on the tracks on our line early this morning, which further gummed up the works beyond NJT's usual (low) quality of service.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3900 on: November 13, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
Yea my boss said something about a power outage at Penn State, meanwhile on the NJ turnpike a minu van was burnt to a crisp.  That caused a twice as long commute for me.  Such a miserable day.

I did score my Iron Maiden tickets though which I thought I wouldn't get because I got to work so late.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3901 on: November 13, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
Morning, all.

Recently, I've been at war with a few rats that are determined to nest in my garage...and I've been losing. After killing a large buck (about a month ago) with a traditional rat trap, the remaining mischief has learned to set off the trap and come back later to get the bait. Sunday morning I noticed that they'd found a way on top of the upright freezer in the garage to raid a box of Milk Bones. I cleaned up the mess, found a sealed plastic container for the dog treats, and reset the trap. By that evening, they'd done their trick with the trap. I went to the shopping list and added poison traps. I've had enough of the bastards.

Last night, I went out to the garage to retrieve my cell phone from the car (I leave that thing everywhere) and when I turned on the lights a kit darted from under my car to the back wall of the garage. I heard a rustling to my immediate right. My eyes snapped over by the freezer. Perched atop the handle of my golf ball retriever was a buck rat about the size of my forearm. Instant rage threw me into action faster than I would have believed possible and without thinking I stepped forward with my left foot and lifted my right leg and Chuck Norrised that fucker against the wall. The dazed rat fell into the bottom Mrs. P's gardening bucket. Panting, it tried to be still down among the hand gardening implements. I really didn't want to reach in there so I looked around for something to jab him with. While I did, he must have gotten his wind back because he leaped out of the bucket and ran toward the front of the garage. The chase was on. I caught up with him as he dodged behind a couple of loops of my air hose. I rammed the toe of my shoe through the hose to pin him against the baseboard but only grazed his hind quarters. He wall-walked away from my foot and as he came down to the concrete to dash away I reflex stomped on the back of his neck. Apparently, Sketchers boat shoes aren't meant for rat killing because he took off when I lifted my foot, ran under my car, and drunkenly shot out the other side to run head first into the side my snowblower. I heard the ding sound of his skull against the metal as I rounded the car to see him sprawled on his belly apparently dazed. I slowed down with the intention of carefully aiming the heel of my shoe down onto his head, which was a mistake. He jumped and ducked behind a dutch oven which gave him access to hole in the south wall and took his leave.

Adrenaline was roaring in my ears as I grabbed my cell phone from the car. When I got back to the entrance my dog was waiting for me, sitting on his haunches, tail wagging and his tongue hanging out the side of his worthless mouth. Stupid, fucking Labradoodle! No more treats for his old ass.

Tl;dr: I hate rats and my dog is an asshole.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3902 on: November 13, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
Wow that was an intense battle

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3903 on: November 13, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
Cram, I told Mrs. P about it and she said, "What should we get to be rid of them?" I replied, "a Katana?"  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3904 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »
Why pick on the dog?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3905 on: November 13, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »
It's his job! Because every previous dog I've ever had would kill rats and he just sat there in the doorway and watched. Laughing.

Sagan's a big chicken. When he sees or hears them he'll bark and raise his hackles but he won't go after them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3906 on: November 13, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »
Mice for us.  Sticky pads with a cracker in the middle.   I don't care if they are still alive. Toss them right in the woods to die.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3907 on: November 13, 2018, 10:25:24 AM »
Cram, I told Mrs. P about it and she said, "What should we get to be rid of them?" I replied, "a Katana?"  :biggrin:

Might just need to burn the house down

and I haven't had rodent problems, but I'm sure my cat would get to the bottom of it.  He does a good job with the centipedes in the basement.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3908 on: November 13, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
I had a mice problem in the country house's garden, with no help whatsoever from my beloved spoiled wimpy cats.
Then a family of owls nested on the chestnut tree, and mice became a distant memory.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: November 13, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »
In my experience, domestic cats are hell on wheels for mice (which I don't have a problem with) but these brown rats are about 3/4 the size of your average cat. Like I said, the buck I encountered last night was as big as my forearm (not counting his tail). Most cats will hesitate to attack them and the hesitation is about all they need to get away.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3910 on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »
Get a big Schnauzer. I heard they're excellent rat-killers.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3911 on: November 13, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
That would work, but I don't want another dog.

I used to have a golden retriever/yellow lab mix that would kill a dozen rats per year. He was a saint.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3912 on: November 13, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »
In my experience, domestic cats are hell on wheels for mice (which I don't have a problem with) but these brown rats are about 3/4 the size of your average cat. Like I said, the buck I encountered last night was as big as my forearm (not counting his tail). Most cats will hesitate to attack them and the hesitation is about all they need to get away.

True, that's enough to scare me away as well

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3913 on: November 13, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »
That would work, but I don't want another dog.

I used to have a golden retriever/yellow lab mix that would kill a dozen rats per year. He was a saint.

We know the answer your wife will tell you.  Get going killer. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3914 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »
 :lol No shit, right?

You bring up a good point, King. Why the hell is it my job to rid us of the bastards? Honestly, if they didn't piss and shit all over everything, I'd just as soon ignore them. Mrs. P will make pointed jabs that leave no question as to what's expected. "You, know. I saw another large rat turd in the garage today!" Her tone is such that the implication is she shouldn't have to witness such unpleasantness and I'd better do something about it.  :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3915 on: November 13, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

Last week was particularly so...they sent the train out without working bathrooms, so we stopped at Summit for a shit break for 15 minutes (for both passengers and crew).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3916 on: November 13, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
:lol No shit, right?

You bring up a good point, King. Why the hell is it my job to rid us of the bastards? Honestly, if they didn't piss and shit all over everything, I'd just as soon ignore them. Mrs. P will make pointed jabs that leave no question as to what's expected. "You, know. I saw another large rat turd in the garage today!" Her tone is such that the implication is she shouldn't have to witness such unpleasantness and I'd better do something about it.  :lol

I feel your pain.  I know the feeling. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3917 on: November 13, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »

Last week was particularly so...they sent the train out without working bathrooms, so we stopped at Summit for a shit break for 15 minutes (for both passengers and crew).

:rollin wow

There was a train last week or two I read about that broke down and was over packed, people were passing out.  Sounded like a nightmare.  The NJ transit trains were all fucked up a couple weekends ago trying to get into the city for the Haken concert.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3918 on: November 13, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
We had over 4 inches of rain yesterday, with more to come today. 

We had about the same amount of rain yesterday, it was a hard day for my dog who really wanted to be outside lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3919 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:37 AM »
It's his job! Because every previous dog I've ever had would kill rats and he just sat there in the doorway and watched. Laughing.

Sagan's a big chicken. When he sees or hears them he'll bark and raise his hackles but he won't go after them.

Pretty soon you'll have "beelions and beelions" of mice.   Yay!