Author Topic: 2017 NCAA Football Discussion  (Read 9261 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 NCAA Football Discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2018, 07:26:33 AM »
I'm more tired about the cocky bullshit after every play.

So I gather you gave up watching football about 20 years ago? Kidding aside, you are definitely not the only one put off by the "cocky bullshit."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
Good point. I'm all for celebrating a personal accomplishment but there is fine line between celebrating success and being a douche/poor sport.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
As much as I despise Alabama, I have to give props to Saban for switching QB's. Not many people would have the balls to do that. The story of the game is Tua Tagovailoa. He seems like a gracious down to earth individual and he really is such a good story that I can't help but be happy for him, even if he play for Alabama.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »
No kidding. Hat's off to Jalen Hurts too. If he was Cam Newton he would have sulked on the sideline and faked joy at the victory. But he looked like he couldn't be happier - being bailed out in the what would have been the biggest failure in your playing career doesn't hurt of course.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »
I still cant believe he was benched at all, not like it was a blowout at half.  However, someone on the radio called in saying Hurts missed some practices and Tua got a lot of 1st team reps so he was pretty ready to go for this.  Not sure if that was true though as I haven't seen that reported elsewhere.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
I still can't believe UGA didn't check out of cover 2 when Bama went with a 3x1 formation.  If the safety does play the receiver that caught the TD more, Tua would have hit the man in the middle seam for a big play or TD anyway.  He was in a no win situation.  Got to check to cover 3 or 4 if you want to play zone in that situation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »
Considering Alabama's kicker had hooked that kick at the end of regulation, once Georgia sacked them on 1st down for a huge loss, how are they not they playing deep?  Give them a bunch of yards back, but not the 1st down, and make that kicker hit one to tie it.  Don't give up a bomb over the top like that.  Unbelievable how often coaches shit the bed with play calls in critical situations like that.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:48 PM »
Considering Alabama's kicker had hooked that kick at the end of regulation, once Georgia sacked them on 1st down for a huge loss, how are they not they playing deep?  Give them a bunch of yards back, but not the 1st down, and make that kicker hit one to tie it.  Don't give up a bomb over the top like that.  Unbelievable how often coaches shit the bed with play calls in critical situations like that.

That was exactly my thought. Drop more guys into coverage for two plays to prevent exactly that, getting beaten over the top. Force fourth down and watch the kicker fold like a lawn chair under the pressure after badly missing two previous kicks. I swear I heard Alabama’s kicker’s sigh of relief all the way in Oregon. NO ONE in that building was more relieved than he was once that overtime touchdown was scored.

Gotta say though: In spite of his playing for Alabama, I was impressed with Tagovailoa. To relieve the starter for the second half in the biggest game of the year, bring your team back from a deficit, overcome your kicker blowing the opportunity to win and face overtime, take a huge sack to start your possession, and then chuck the winning TD anyway the very next play? He certainly made mistakes and showed inexperience, but he also showed a poise, maturity, and competitive “never say die” drive well beyond that of a freshman. And to top it all off, to take no credit and say his line and receivers made him look good instead. I’m no Alabama fan, but continuing that he matures and develops this way, I’ll be a Tua supporter. Kid could have a bright future ahead.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2018, 06:35:53 AM »
THANK ALL OF YOU questioning what the fuck we were doing defensively on that last play... heartbroken UGA fan here doing the same (too many of my fellow DAWGS just want to move on but I just can't stop thinking about it). We did the ONLY thing that could cause a loss at that point. Anything else but a deep ball and we are tied at worst, more likely the victors. Just unbelievable. The emotional swing from after the sack being overjoyed because it felt like we finally had it, to the game being over 1 play later, was CRAZY.

BTW, I re-watched the all-22 and that same receiver was open on the previous play (the sack) as well and the safety had to come over. Parrish (the corner) was getting beaten all night, so I don't know what we thought would be different on the final play. I think maybe because it was just all happening so fast we didn't get into the scheme we needed. Sure wish Kirby would have had his old defensive-back hat on and spent our timeout to set up a better scheme and also to re-emphasize: NO DEEP BALLS. Rare occasion where a long sack may have actually helped the Alabama offense because it opened up the field and let them run 4 deep routes. If anyone saw the end of the Rose Bowl, we shut down Oklahoma precisely because they had no real room to throw the ball.

EDIT: also, the other real place Bama truly outmanned us was in their depth. Not only the QB change but there were at least 4 other skill-position players crucial in the 4th/OT who didn't even start the game or play in the first half (including the receiver who caught the game-winner). Hopefully, Kirby is on his way to building that kind of depth at UGA, but we're just not there yet. I will say, though, we shot ourselves in the foot by giving Chubb more carries when Michel was CLEARLY the better runner in this particular game. What's the use of depth if you don't use it correctly? Saban is completely cut-throat, as evidenced by the QB benching; meanwhile we continued running Chubb into the line for 1 yard gains when Michel was ripping off 10 and 20 yards at a time, lol...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:32:55 AM by contest_sanity »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »
Here's another thing I don't understand. Gerorgia was up by 10 in the fourth quarter and were running the ball. Why in the world do team not milk the clock for every possible second? They were snapping the ball with 10 seconds left on the play clock. I don't care if it's boring football, if I'm Georgia's coach and I'm up by 10 over Alabama in the 4th I'm telling my QB not to snap the ball until there is one second left on the play clock.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:01 AM »
Here's another thing I don't understand. Gerorgia was up by 10 in the fourth quarter and were running the ball. Why in the world do team not milk the clock for every possible second? They were snapping the ball with 10 seconds left on the play clock. I don't care if it's boring football, if I'm Georgia's coach and I'm up by 10 over Alabama in the 4th I'm telling my QB not to snap the ball until there is one second left on the play clock.

It's almost as if 28-3 never happened... maybe the UGA coaches blocked the Falcons' implosion from their memories bc they were fans? My God, the 2nd half of this game was like Falcons Redux. Unbelievable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:10 PM »

It's almost as if 28-3 never happened... maybe the UGA coaches blocked the Falcons' implosion from their memories bc they were fans? My God, the 2nd half of this game was like Falcons Redux. Unbelievable.

There's a meme out there ripping the state of Georgia for such similar collapses

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2018, 07:30:47 PM »
I don't need memes; the Ga sports curse resides in my soul! That beind said, this was pretty fucking funny:

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:53 AM »

You guys will be just fine.  Kirby will only get better, 2 great QB's and the number 1 ranked recruiting class. 
But the arc of your life will still be profound