Author Topic: Dream Theater Xanadu Rush Cover Coming Dec 2017  (Read 16939 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Dream Theater Xanadu Rush Cover Coming Dec 2017
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2017, 09:04:03 PM »
There is a huge difference. They have very different voices.

If they sound basically identical to you, then that's you. You might be alone on that one.

You're saying one of two things. Either A) James is doing a Geddy Lee impression, or B) James and Geddy naturally have extremely similar voices.

B is just wrong.

A doesn't always result in good results. Look at Iced Earth. Stu has a great natural voices. But he spends most of his time in Iced Earth trying to sound like Barlow. Barlow had an amazing voice. Stu has an amazing voice. Stu sounding like Barlow is terrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »
Nice to hear what the band can sound like with a good drum sound from Mangini.

When did this kind of statements stopped sounding as aggressive as they actually are?.. I mean, if you just read it twice it even becomes funny.. :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
There is a huge difference. They have very different voices.

If they sound basically identical to you, then that's you. You might be alone on that one.

You're saying one of two things. Either A) James is doing a Geddy Lee impression, or B) James and Geddy naturally have extremely similar voices.

B is just wrong.

A doesn't always result in good results. Look at Iced Earth. Stu has a great natural voices. But he spends most of his time in Iced Earth trying to sound like Barlow. Barlow had an amazing voice. Stu has an amazing voice. Stu sounding like Barlow is terrible.

I know this to erwinrafael, but I'll answer from my perspective.

I agree B would be wrong - James and Geddy don't have naturally similar voices.  My take is the James is trying to sing in the style of Geddy - trying to sing that track the way Geddy did, even if his voice doesn't actually sound like Geddy.  He's going for the same approach.  To me - he does a really good job of it.  I can see where others might not agree.  For one thing, Geddy has a very unique voice and he owns the vocals on that song, love it or hate it, he's the original, and for some listeners, any attempt to sing it the way Geddy does it going to elicit a "nice try dude" reaction.  However - I do see where erwin is coming from too.  Some of the negative comments about James are the same exact ones I've read about Geddy - he's screeching, he doesn't have control of his voice, it sounds like a dying cat, etc. 

I can see both sides of it, I suppose.  I like what James did with it myself.

Offline Adami

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »
And that's a totally cool response. You say that you like it but are cool with us that don't. Same here, but the other way.

I was arguing against the idea that we're somehow wrong in some way for not liking it.

Also listening to it again. This is the best bass tone Myung has had in a while. And James is singing this like James. He's not trying to sound like anyone else. Just sounds like James.

Edit: Okay, I hear it on "Paradise". But most of the song it's just James being James.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:09:51 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2017, 10:23:03 PM »
And that's a totally cool response. You say that you like it but are cool with us that don't. Same here, but the other way.

I was arguing against the idea that we're somehow wrong in some way for not liking it.

Also listening to it again. This is the best bass tone Myung has had in a while. And James is singing this like James. He's not trying to sound like anyone else. Just sounds like James.

Edit: Okay, I hear it on "Paradise". But most of the song it's just James being James.

:)  I think it's mostly James being James too - except for some of the highest stuff; searching, prison, paradise, etc.  For me it's a good mix - like on the high paradise it's more like Geddy (again, not the sound of his voice itself, but the way he sings it) and then the low/normal paradise is all James.

I don't think you're wrong for not liking it.  I mean I *do* think, and know, that you're wrong, but it's OK - we all gotta be wrong sometimes.  ;)  Just kidding. Mostly. 

In all seriousness, I think think any opinion stated as a fact can be off putting to those who have the opposite opinion.  It seems to happen with JL all the time - people stating how bad he is (be it on this, or live, or whatever) like we all agree and it's some kind of objective fact, when there are a lot who don't feel that way.

I like the way JM sounds, but I don't usually have a problem with his tone like some do - I do sometimes wish he was a little louder.  Can't bury him in a Rush song or it would just sound totally wrong though. :)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2017, 02:08:07 AM »

Of course I am saying A. Saying B is just like expecting Mike Mangini to play like Mike Portnoy. That's not me.

I agree B would be wrong - James and Geddy don't have naturally similar voices.  My take is the James is trying to sing in the style of Geddy - trying to sing that track the way Geddy did, even if his voice doesn't actually sound like Geddy.  He's going for the same approach.  To me - he does a really good job of it.  I can see where others might not agree.  For one thing, Geddy has a very unique voice and he owns the vocals on that song, love it or hate it, he's the original, and for some listeners, any attempt to sing it the way Geddy does it going to elicit a "nice try dude" reaction.  However - I do see where erwin is coming from too.  Some of the negative comments about James are the same exact ones I've read about Geddy - he's screeching, he doesn't have control of his voice, it sounds like a dying cat, etc. 

Thank you. Me personally, I can really hear how James was doing a Geddy Lee in the high parts. James did a good job in that respect, doing a Geddy Lee. It's also the reason why I don't like the vocals in this song so much.

See, I did not even say that I liked James' vocals in this cover. I just find it funny that people who critiqued him for some reason liked Geddy's especially on aspects where they both did the same thing (the screechy high parts, etc.). That was the point of my post.

I don't like Geddy Lee's vocals. I usually just listen to the Subdivisions album because I prefer how others sing Rush songs in a style other than Geddy's.

How about "Escapes these caves of ice"?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:37:40 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:49 AM »
First, I don't like this Rush song, especailly vocally. And sorry I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice (this is why I can't listen Rush that much) but this is what we got. I get the impression DT did record this song just like the original. It's like re-mastered version to me with a better mix and clarity. Vocal wise, it's just James that we know but trying to sing like Geddy Lee especially in the high parts. And he did pretty good job.

Sure, he sounds tired and somewhat forced. AFAIK, it was recorded between shows. So that's normal. I'm not annoyed.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2017, 05:45:21 AM »
To me the big difference is that Geddy was in his 20s when the original song was recorded, so those high notes came (somewhat) naturally from him, while James is attempting to do the same in his 50s and it sounds like his voice is on the verge of breaking in the screaming parts - just listen to the "escape these caves of ice" line and the final "paradise".

Offline Lethean

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
Quote from: erwinrafael

Thank you. Me personally, I can really hear how James was doing a Geddy Lee in the high parts. James did a good job in that respect, doing a Geddy Lee. It's also the reason why I don't like the vocals in this song so much.

See, I did not even say that I liked James' vocals in this cover. I just find it funny that people who critiqued him for some reason liked Geddy's especially on aspects where they both did the same thing (the screechy high parts, etc.). That was the point of my post.

I don't like Geddy Lee's vocals. I usually just listen to the Subdivisions album because I prefer how others sing Rush songs in a style other than Geddy's.
Erwin Rafael, I thought you were cool.  I like what I've read of your posts. But this is like a knife to my poor little newbie heart. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
To me the big difference is that Geddy was in his 20s when the original song was recorded, so those high notes came (somewhat) naturally from him, while James is attempting to do the same in his 50s and it sounds like his voice is on the verge of breaking in the screaming parts - just listen to the "escape these caves of ice" line and the final "paradise".

I love the way he handles those parts.  It's certainly not natural for him to sing that way, but I think he delivers it really well - makes me want to cheer or raise my fist, etc. Now to be clear, I also love Geddy's voice on that and that's the original, and those are the vocals that make an already awesome song that much better.  I just like what James did as a cover.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2017, 03:56:12 PM »

Erwin Rafael, I thought you were cool.  I like what I've read of your posts. But this is like a knife to my poor little newbie heart.

:rollin It's just a matter of taste. I can see how others might like his vocals. It's just not my thing. It's the same with growling vocals. I can see how others might like it, but I personally don't.

On another nite, reading DT's Facebook post on this, I smiled when I saw that they were asked by Rush to do the cover. What an honor.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
I listened to it again, and what probably draws my attention the most in the vocal performance is that James tries to stay in pitch as little as possible, because the pitch is so high. So, his lines are like "woaaiiaao woaaiiaao WOAAIIAO woaaiiaao..." in very short succession. The "i" in there is on pitch, but he maximizes the approach and release as much as he can get away with, so that the "i" is as short as possible.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
I really, really dislike John's tone. In fact, every time I hear a new recording of JP, I think I like his tone less unfortunately.

Offline Adami

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
I really, really dislike John's tone. In fact, every time I hear a new recording of JP, I think I like his tone less unfortunately.

Yea, John I think over layered this whole thing. Rush doesn't have that thick of a guitar, that's how the rest of the stuff is able to breathe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
Do you find Geddy's singing in the original rough?

Because I've been playing the two versions back to back, and I really can't hear a substantial difference. My point is, are people finding the vocals here rough because it is James, but they don't find it rough in the original just because it's Geddy even though there is not much difference in how they sang it?

I think it says more about your ears than anything else that you "can't hear a substantial difference" between the original vocals and those on the DT cover.

I've only heard the cover once, but "rough" is an apt word to describe James's vocals.  I've heard the original hundreds of times over the past 35 years or so, and I would not describe them as "rough."  I'm sure that, if DT had taken the time to do the song in a studio, with James's voice being as fresh as it is when DT records an album, James's vocals would have been less "rough" or not at all.  Here's the thing:  "rough" does not necessarily mean "bad."  It's a very good effort, but it's a really hard song to sing.  Frankly, it's pretty impressive, given that DT was in the middle of a tour on which the band was performing a very vocally challenging set list, after having been on the road for the better part of a year.  But it's still "rough."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »

This, for sure.

On another nite, reading DT's Facebook post on this, I smiled when I saw that they were asked by Rush to do the cover. What an honor.

I hadn't seen that.  That's extremely cool.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
  I'm sure that, if DT had taken the time to do the song in a studio, with James's voice being as fresh as it is when DT records an album, James's vocals would have been less "rough" or not at all.  Here's the thing:  "rough" does not necessarily mean "bad."  It's a very good effort, but it's a really hard song to sing.  Frankly, it's pretty impressive, given that DT was in the middle of a tour on which the band was performing a very vocally challenging set list, after having been on the road for the better part of a year. 

Yes, this is how I feel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »

Because I've been playing the two versions back to back, and I really can't hear a substantial difference. My point is, are people finding the vocals here rough because it is James, but they don't find it rough in the original just because it's Geddy even though there is not much difference in how they sang it?

I think it says more about your ears than anything else that you "can't hear a substantial difference" between the original vocals and those on the DT cover.

I've only heard the cover once, but "rough" is an apt word to describe James's vocals.

So after hearing the cover only once as basis of your informed opinion, was there a susbtantial difference between James and Geddy's singing of "Paradise" and "Escape these caves of ice"? I am focusing on these two because these are the subjects of most criticisms.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2017, 06:57:47 PM »
This reminds me when I try to illustrate to people the difference between "ö" and "ü", and they tell me I'm making the same sound.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

:rollin It's just a matter of taste. I can see how others might like his vocals. It's just not my thing. It's the same with growling vocals. I can see how others might like it, but I personally don't.

You laugh now, but one day you will finally come to appreciate Geddy Lee.  ;) 

Regarding the Facebook post - agreed.  :)  It was definitely an honor and they all love Rush, so it was pretty exciting for them.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

I've only heard the cover once, but "rough" is an apt word to describe James's vocals.

So after hearing the cover only once as basis of your informed opinion, was there a susbtantial difference between James and Geddy's singing of "Paradise" and "Escape these caves of ice"? I am focusing on these two because these are the subjects of most criticisms.

I think we could all go around and around on this sort of thing.  I would say his voice does have a rough edge to it when singing those parts, and he's singing it in the spirit of the original but there's still definitely a difference between their singing.  I can totally see liking one but not the other, but I completely disagree with the idea that JLB's version is "bad" and it certainly doesn't warrant some of the ridiculous FB comments you were originally referring to.

Offline Adami

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »

The song is more than 6 words. Yes on a very few select parts, he is doing a Geddy Lee impression. Which is NOT the same as James doing the song exactly like Geddy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
Anyway, sorry for being a dick in this thread.

So how about Mangini doing a Neal Peart?

Offline Adami

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:12 PM »
Anyway, sorry for being a dick in this thread.

So how about Mangini doing a Neal Peart?

Yes! Thank you. Brings me to a good point.

I also did not like Mangini or Petrucci on this song.

:adami:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:18 PM »
But you liked Peart's drumming in this song? Which Mangini faithfully reproduced?

Offline Adami

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:23 PM »
But you liked Peart's drumming in this song? Which Mangini faithfully reproduced?

Did he? Most of the song was fine. But I feel like he drastically overplayed the beginning, specifically the cowbell part. I don't remember Peart going that crazy.

Also, I don't like covers that are identical or nearly identical. Which is why I'm not a fan of DT's covers in general
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
I don't like covers that are identical or nearly identical. Which is why I'm not a fan of DT's covers in general
While I can still enjoy DT's covers for the most part, I gotta agree with Adami's comment above. While good, DT should've put more effort into making the song their own rather than follow the song as closely as they did.

DT's version of The Necromancer, IMO strikes the perfect balance between honoring the original, and still injecting enough of their own style into the song to make it their own.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »
Excellent cover, but, man, the beginning sure sounds a lot like Trial of Tears.
Lol!  I remember when I first heard Trial of Tears I thought, man, this intro sure sounds like Xanadu. Cool!

You know the intro of TOT is a tribute/nod right?  :lol
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2017, 11:58:01 PM »

Did he? Most of the song was fine. But I feel like he drastically overplayed the beginning, specifically the cowbell part. I don't remember Peart going that crazy.

Also, I don't like covers that are identical or nearly identical. Which is why I'm not a fan of DT's covers in general

The cowbell is pretty much the same, Mangini's was just louder in the mix.

I also like covers that have a distinct personality. I am more lenient though with the drums in a Rush cover because it's already well-composed. It would be hard to change the drums if there would be no other changes in the arrangement.

Offline Adami

« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:29 AM »
You're right about the cowbell I think. Shows what a difference the mix has. Didn't like it.

Also I should add that I don't like covers of Rush songs. They're an odd band where I just can't imagine a band doing it better. Rush need to sound like Rush to me. If it were like a live thing, that would be fun. But a studio recording seems odd to me. Rush is just a hard band to cover without automatically sounding inferior (to me).

Strangely, I did actually enjoy DT's old cover of Tears. Can't explain that one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »
Actually, I quite like the cover of Closer To The Heart on the same release.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
I don't like James hitting the higher notes on Xanadu. It's just bad. I'm sticking to my guns and hoping they'll rein his voice in for the next album because if there's more of that, I'm not gonna be very happy...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
I think you can rest assured that James will not be trying to sound like 70s era Geddy on their next album. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »
You're right about the cowbell I think. Shows what a difference the mix has. Didn't like it.

Also I should add that I don't like covers of Rush songs. They're an odd band where I just can't imagine a band doing it better. Rush need to sound like Rush to me. If it were like a live thing, that would be fun. But a studio recording seems odd to me. Rush is just a hard band to cover without automatically sounding inferior (to me).

Strangely, I did actually enjoy DT's old cover of Tears. Can't explain that one.
.You know, I generally don't care for Rush covers that much either. Live, as you said, is a different story and I always enjoy it. Studio - I don't hate it but I also have almost no desire to listen to it. Dream Theater is an exception for me - I like hearing their covers and maybe that's mostly psychological. I love both bands, I know how important Rush was, and still is, to Dream Theater, and I've seen some of their live Rush covers. So I'm always up for hearing them to Rush.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
Dream Theater's approach to covers is reverence. It almost always feels like a big thank you to the bands that they owe a lot to.