Author Topic: Dream Theater Xanadu Rush Cover Coming Dec 2017  (Read 16926 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Xanadu Rush Cover Coming Dec 2017
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »
The cover was awesome, and I loved the mix.

As people are saying, I hope this sticks for the next DT album!

Maybe they should announce a new tour before the album then to record it on the road.  Actually would be a cool concept to perform the songs too and adjust them throughout a tour. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
Excellent cover by DT as always and, say what you want, James’s voice is what gives some personality to it, because the instrumental is very close to original. I would like to see DT doing more versions than covers, like they did with Maiden’s Gangland, but I guess they prefer to be more reverencial to their heroes and I totally understand that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
Thinking better, the Maiden’s and Metallica’s covers were interesting also for the fact that the second guitars were played by the keyboards. And, of course, all the Deep Purple’s Maide in Japan where the band made a lot of improvisation on it :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
Excellent cover by DT as always and, say what you want, James’s voice is what gives some personality to it, because the instrumental is very close to original. I would like to see DT doing more versions than covers, like they did with Maiden’s Gangland, but I guess they prefer to be more reverencial to their heroes and I totally understand that.
Cool point. I personally loved James' voice on this, and I kinda understand people that didn't and that's OK, but there's no denying that his approach and timbre made the cover stand out.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
Now, don't know how to say it, but.... I didn't know the song

I don't know how to say it but...WTF?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »
I don’t understand the criticism James is getting on this cover. He sounded great to me. Plus, it’s not like Geddy was flawless on the original, or any other material for that matter. He often strained and screeched, even on studio recordings, and it still came out sounding cool. It’s rock ‘n roll, man! I’d rather a vocalist be slightly out of tune here and there, but sing with passion and style, than to be in tune all the time, but sound bland. I’m stoked about this cover.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 12:03:08 AM »
Excellent cover, but, man, the beginning sure sounds a lot like Trial of Tears.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 02:45:20 AM »
I just created a Mike Mangini Rush covers playlist on Spotify with the Subdivisions album and this Xanadu cover. Man, Mangini the Peart fanboy must be pleased to have 12 studio covers of Rush songs.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:00:13 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 03:34:36 AM »

:lol I thought the same thing.

I thought this cover was great! Faithful to the original with just a little bit of Dream Theater spice added in there. I think James sounded great as well -- his voice is showing his age, but it still sounds great and has lots of passion.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 07:24:38 AM »
Can we request Dream Theater to keep this mix in their next album?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 07:37:38 AM »

Only if we agree that JLB does a far better job with the vocals than he did on this cover.

Offline Evai

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 07:45:46 AM »
But the first time he sings 'I have dined on honeydew' is as good as 90's jlb
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
Can we request DT to keep the recording and mix like that Into the Great Divide 2 songs?😜

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
Even I think James did amazing job with the vocals he sounds tired. Not that I see a problem with that. Completely normal considering the anniversary tour. But man, he still has the power of the 90's.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 08:16:39 AM »

Only if we agree that JLB does a far better job with the vocals than he did on this cover.

The funny thing is I think JLB's work in this cover is closer to how he actually sounds live.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »
The cover was awesome, and I loved the mix.

As people are saying, I hope this sticks for the next DT album!

Maybe they should announce a new tour before the album then to record it on the road.  Actually would be a cool concept to perform the songs too and adjust them throughout a tour.

Steve Vai did that with the “Alive in an Ultra World” album. Funny enough, Mangini was the drummer for that album :tup

Listened to this cover a couple times yesterday and liked it a lot! And it made me like the original version more as well :metal

Btw, I’m a huge fan of TA, but I think this cover sounds much better (mix/sound) than it  :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
I just created a Mike Mangini Rush covers playlist on Spotify with the Subdivisions album and this Xanadu cover. Man, Mangini the Peart fanboy must be pleased to have 12 studio covers of Rush songs.

Could you share the link? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »
Even I think James did amazing job with the vocals he sounds tired. Not that I see a problem with that. Completely normal considering the anniversary tour. But man, he still has the power of the 90's.

Yeah, agreed, he still sounds pretty killer here.   And I like that its not flawless - gives dimension to his voice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »

Could you share the link? :biggrin:

I also want this shared :D
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2017, 06:47:45 AM »
I enjoyed that a lot. I'm not too familiar with the original, so I'm not in a position to compare, to me it sounded great.

I totally second the comments about the mix - it was fantastic. The drums sounded full and energetic, and the balance of all the instruments was spot on. More of this please..  :tup

Offline devieira73

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:28 AM »
Listening to A Farewell to Kings version on Subvision tribute... DT should also recorded this song and do some improvising on the solo section! What a "kind of forgotten" Rush song!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
Cover sounded pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of the source material, so it wasn't really my cup of tea, but I thought it was played well by all. James sounded fine, there are some tough (and frankly awkward) vocal lines in that song and he didn't have the luxury of recording in a proper studio.

The highlight for me was the fact that the drum and bass sound here sounds better than the drum and bass sound on DT records has in a long time. That's encouraging moving forward.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
]but, man, the beginning sure sounds a lot like Trial of Tears.[/color]

I wonder why  :mehlin :mehlin

"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
The mix is radically better than the previous three albums  :o

.....probably because they are deliberately trying to get a 80s/90s sound for the cover  :mehlin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
Big Wreck did Closer to the Heart -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=95VjK9Wzdlg

Pretty cool cover, good example of the band making the song a little more their own and putting their own twist on it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
Lol!  I remember when I first heard Trial of Tears I thought, man, this intro sure sounds like Xanadu. Cool!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
Dream Theater's post on this on Facebook has become a James LaBrie bashfest.

Those who are bashing James' vocals in this song, have they even heard the original version? James did not sing this in his style. He was trying to sing it like how Geddy sang it.

Are the bashers saying that Geddy's original vocals are awful as well? If not, what fucking hypocritical double standard because JLB's interpretation is really close to how Geddy sang it.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »

Those who are bashing James' vocals in this song, have they even heard the original version? James did not sing this in his style. He was trying to sing it like how Geddy sang it.

Are the bashers saying that Geddy's original vocals are awful as well? If not, what fucking hypocritical double standard because JLB's interpretation is really close to how Geddy sang it.

Tell me I'm wrong.

You’re wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:59 PM »
@erwin: Come on dude. Irrespective of the fact that you personally like it, you must admit that the vocal performance was rough. Really rough.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »

Tell me I'm wrong.

You’re wrong.

This.

erwinrafael, the comment I bolded doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as it assumes that Geddy and James are the same kind of vocalists, who can sing each others' parts equally well, which is not the case.  Geddy, even in his prime, would struggle with a lot of DT's material, and James struggles big time on this cover of Xanadu.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2017, 07:47:16 PM »
I really like his vocals on the track.  He does scream on a lot of the high stuff, but I like the way it sounds.  For example - "searching" or "walk the caves of ice" and when he does the "whoa paradise" like Geddy.  It doesn't sound like Geddy's voice, but it sounds good to me.  I've replayed a couple of those passages a few times already. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2017, 08:57:23 PM »
@erwin: Come on dude. Irrespective of the fact that you personally like it, you must admit that the vocal performance was rough. Really rough.

Do you find Geddy's singing in the original rough?

Because I've been playing the two versions back to back, and I really can't hear a substantial difference. My point is, are people finding the vocals here rough because it is James, but they don't find it rough in the original just because it's Geddy even though there is not much difference in how they sang it?