Author Topic: ITNOG - 14 years and I cant believe I missed this!!!!  (Read 2229 times)

Offline LTE777

ITNOG - 14 years and I cant believe I missed this!!!!
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
I was listening to TOT last night and came to the ending of In the Name of God and I have heard this song hundreds of times, live, studio album, live recording etc and it was not until last night I actually heard the chanting at the end of the song - mind blow!! It adds so much more to the outro of the album (I knew about the Morse code thing but completely missed this).

It got me thinking, what other subtle nuances have you discovered in the DT catalogue years and years later (not Easter Eggs but personal discoveries)!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:11:21 PM by LTE777 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: ITNOG - 14 years and I cant believe I missed this!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
"Glory, glory, hallelujah!!"

Yep, fantastic little extra touch at the end of one of their best songs of the 21st century.   :hat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
... Holy hell. I've been listening to that song since 2004 and I've never heard that until you pointed it out. I am very spooked right now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
It's a nice touch that, for me, adds a haunting touch to the outro. I don't know why I choose that word to describe it, but it's one of those moments that gives me chills
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:44:17 PM »
Its funny how you never noticed it. But it is a fantastic part that I heard immediately and loved. I wonder if they decide to play it live again, they'll sample this part.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LTE777

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »
... Holy hell. I've been listening to that song since 2004 and I've never heard that until you pointed it out. I am very spooked right now.

Haha same here, it must be the snobby guitarist in me that only focussed on JP all the time.... :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:36:36 AM »
It's not like it wasn't in the DTFAQ all this years ;)

https://dreamtheater.club/questions/question/what-are-the-vocals-in-the-background-at-the-end-of-in-the-name-of-god/

Next thing you're gonna tell us you discovered some weird morse code in the song as well? ;)

Offline LTE777

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:53:55 AM »

https://dreamtheater.club/questions/question/what-are-the-vocals-in-the-background-at-the-end-of-in-the-name-of-god/

Next thing you're gonna tell us you discovered some weird morse code in the song as well? ;)

Haha no I put that Caveat in the opening post....!  Maybe I should go back through the FAQ in case I have missed anything else...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
Last year I listened to "Repentance" quite a lot. I didn't discover anything I hadn't noticed before - just that I fell in love with it (and I had listened to that song since 2007).

I also tend to pay a lot attention to time signatures - I try figuring out what is going on in each section of songs I like. So, sometimes it takes many years but I finally figure a few things out - for instance, at the end of "Home"; one of them is 19/16, right?

Back on topic: I recently noticed that the 2007 remix of "Another day" has the guitar power-chords on the intro way too high on the mix, burying the keyboards (which, if I'm not mistaken, were way louder in the original release). Has anyone noticed that? Any explanation on that (maybe it was Mike's decision)?

This thread has made me realised I haven't listened to any DT for over 3 months! :O

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »

Back on topic: I recently noticed that the 2007 remix of "Another day" has the guitar power-chords on the intro way too high on the mix, burying the keyboards (which, if I'm not mistaken, were way louder in the original release). Has anyone noticed that? Any explanation on that (maybe it was Mike's decision)?

I remember a lot of the keyboard parts were buried underneath new guitar and drum embellishments that were brought up in the mix. I didn't like that.

Then again, I didn't like any of the I&W remixes.  The triggered snare is part of the charm of the I&W sound, warts and all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »
I agree, those remixes are pretty bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
In the Name of God is one of those songs that comes up on shuffle once a year and thoroughly kicks my ass. Don't know why I don't listen to it more often, to be honest... :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »

I didn't become aware of the Battle Hymn of the Republic part until I read about it somewhere (probably Wikipedia) about five years ago.  I'm sure I also read about the Morse code thing as well, but I don't think I've ever heard it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung