Author Topic: Another rank the albums thread  (Read 5906 times)

Offline Runei

Re: Another rank the albums thread
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
1 - The Astonishing
2 - Images & Words
3 - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4 - Awake
5 - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
6 - Scenes from a Memory
7 - Falling Into Infinity
8 - Dream Theater
9 - A Dramatic Turn of Events
10 - Train of Thought
11 - Octavarium
12 - Systematic Chaos
13 - When Dream and Day Unite

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
The excellent ones:

I&W, Awake, Scenes, Six Degrees, Live Scenes

The good ones:

Falling Into Infinity, Octavarium, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, Train of Thought, A Change Of Seasons, Live At The Marquee, Live At Budokan, Score

The "meh-ok" ones:

Black Clouds & Silver Linings, Systematic Chaos, Once In A Livetime, Chaos In Motion,

The bad-i-don't-even-bother-to-listen-again ones:

DT12, The Astonishing, When Dream And Day Unite, Live At Luna Park, Breaking The Fourth Wall

Using categories like this is much easier than actually ranking the albums (although I've ranked them before at MP.com).

Excellent
I&W
Awake
SFAM
6DOIT

Good to very good
TOT
8VA
ADTOE
DT12

Meh/OK
WDADU
BC&SL

I don't want to say "bad," but it's not as good as "meh/OK"
FII
Systematic Chaos

I've probably listened to The Astonishing all the way through thrice and it hasn't clicked with me at all, but I don't really feel like I've given it a really fair shake, so I generally don't include it in rankings.

LSFNY is far and away my favorite live DT album, but that's more because of the DVD.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
OK. I am into this for a bit over 2 years now - since I made the greatest discovery ever. DT has more than 1 song.
I have been in the honeymoon stage pretty much the whole time and not until the last couple of months willing to listen to anyone else. I have kind of expanded a bit with Symphony X and Joe Stump. Love Metallica less now....
After 2 years I pretty much know all the music now and my list has changed a few times, but I think it's fairly settled now. I decided I really needed to listen to several albums to make a determination between 3 and 11. So for the last week or so I have been pounding DT. It has been wonderful and I am nowhere close to being burned out.  :heart

1. Scenes
2. ADTOE
3. Six Degrees
4. BCSL - everyone is so down on this, I love every song and never want to skip and the covers are great also. I will be listening to this more.

5. Awake
6. IAW - I suspect it is lower than typical because I didn't start out with them and this album.

7. The Astonishing - I prefer heavier, but I saw it 3 times and now Love it every time I turn it on. When I hear the NOMACS at the very beginning I am immediately transported to the concerts and where I fell in love. James does such a great job with the different characters. I have listened enough to really tell the difference.

8. TOT
9. SC - I like ITPOE 1 and 2 together better.
10. Octavarium - It has 3 of my fave songs and my all time fave - Ocatvarium, but I cant get into the rest as much. I love the art, the originality of how each song goes up 1 key to make the octave.

11. FII - I really like this one too  ::)
12. DT12 - a few greats
13. WDADU - I have to have JLB  ;D

I could easily switch around 4-11

Offline soheil

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2018, 12:21:29 AM »
1. Images and Words
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Scenes from a Memory
4. Awake
5. Falling into Infinity
6. A Dramatic Turn of Events