Poll

What is the greatest pop song ever?

ABBA - Dancing Queen
43 (78.2%)
Starship - We Built This City
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: July 29, 2023, 07:06:56 PM

Author Topic: The greatest pop song ever  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The greatest pop song ever
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
both these are wrong, i'm not a fan of either  :corn
i can't think of any 80's pop tunes i really love, but smooth criminal is a damn fine song regardless
the 80's were not a great decade for music though

I disagree with everything I've got.  You won't find another decade where so many different genres had great music.  The 80s had it all.

It kills me reading the younger generation saying that. The only issue with the 80s was the new technology of digital recording was very tinny. But like have said so many different genres so many big hits so many stars.

Both of these.   

It started with "Face Value" and "Back In Black", "Asia", and the return of John Lennon (John fucking Lennon!!!).    And ended with the foreshadowing of grunge (Mother Love Bone, early Nirvana, Louder Than Love by Soundgarden).

And in between you had things as varied as Madonna, The Number of the Beast, Duran Duran, Appetite for Destruction... and I haven't even mentioned Michael Jackson (it's hard to understand just how big he was for that period from "Off The Wall" to "Bad" unless you were there).

I think King hit the nail on the head:  there hasn't been a decade with as disruptive a technology shift as you saw in the 80's, what with the advent of electronic drums (Genesis, Rush, and Yes all have albums where their drummer might say "well, I was trying new things...")

My roots go to the 70's, but if it wasn't for the great music (and I mean legendary) music of 80's, I wouldn't be who I am today.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
Now we're at "the greatest song ever recorded"?   "

"Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys.  Now THAT'S a 'mic drop'. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
the 80's were not a great decade for music though

This is so wrong it hurts.

Tears for Fears? Crowded House? Marillion? Duran Duran? Depeche Mode? Human League? OMD? A-Ha? Back when pop actually had ambition and depth, with songs that have stood the test of time and remain anthems to this very day. I could list many many more. You can't just dismiss 10 whole years of music just like that. It shows extreme ignorance on your part.

I suspect Parama only knows the 80s from the totally overplayed saccharine tunes on the radio. Take Frankie Goes To Hollywood. They didn't just play "Relax", their music was great because they had stuff like this on there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEHFGMwfqNA
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
Re: Africa. This has to be the most awkward lyric ever in a pop song: "As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »
Re: Africa. This has to be the most awkward lyric ever in a pop song: "As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti."

Ha! Good thing I went to page 3 before replying because this is exactly what I was going to post. Love the song but that line is so painfully shoehorned in. Also the video has someone literally chucking a spear, which is unfortunate

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Toto - Africa

Mic drop...

In all seriousness, I'm agreeing with this. Africa is the greatest song ever recorded.

It is hard to argue with that.  I know some think the lyrics are hokey, but you won't find many better songs that Africa.  Amazing song.

And in between you had things as varied as Madonna, The Number of the Beast, Duran Duran, Appetite for Destruction... and I haven't even mentioned Michael Jackson (it's hard to understand just how big he was for that period from "Off The Wall" to "Bad" unless you were there).

We've discussed the MJ thing before, but it it so true.  It sounds like a cliche, but unless you were around in 1982-1983, it is impossible to really comprehend just how big Thriller was.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »
You know how big Thriller was? My fucking mother came home with a copy of it.

That's gross just thinking about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
Now, see, some of you know I'm a diehard Toto fan, but I sincerely don't understand the problem with the Kilimanjaro line. It's appropriate, geographically accurate, and rhythmically works well. Too many syllables I guess? I personally love it.

You know how big Thriller was? My fucking mother came home with a copy of it.

That's gross just thinking about it.

My parents are the most unhip people I can think of yet they still talk about Thriller.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »
 :lol

Thankfully my parents were talking about the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holley and Roy Orbison. LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Now, see, some of you know I'm a diehard Toto fan, but I sincerely don't understand the problem with the Kilimanjaro line. It's appropriate, geographically accurate, and rhythmically works well. Too many syllables I guess? I personally love it.

I don't have a problem with that line either.

You want a great 80s pop song:

True by Spandau Ballet

I am sure some think it is a bit too cheesy, but I don't care.  It's a gorgeous song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
Yeah.   I may not own any of Spandau Ballet but that song is fantastic
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:09 PM »
I can't name any other song they ever did.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
True.

OH GOD! I KNOW 2 SONGS!! :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
If we're talking Spandau Ballet, I actually like Through the Barricades better than True. Then again, it was a big slow dance hit at my local disco back in the day. 'twas the moments where the whole room watched you ask that cute girl for a dance.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:48 PM »
That's when you tried to monitor your wood.  You needed to monitor it not wanting it to be too strong while dancing close.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
If we're talking Spandau Ballet, I actually like Through the Barricades better than True. Then again, it was a big slow dance hit at my local disco back in the day. 'twas the moments where the whole room watched you ask that cute girl for a dance.

This. I have kind memories of Spandau Ballet and I don't really like their music.  :biggrin:

And what exactly is the problem with that Toto lyric? I don't find anything wrong with it, but then I'm not a native english speaker and maybe I am missing something.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2017, 02:42:02 AM »
'Serengeti' just doesn't fit comfortably into the line. The enunciation of it is so awkward

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:47 AM »
Toto - Africa

Mic drop...

In all seriousness, I'm agreeing with this. Africa is the greatest song ever recorded.

It is hard to argue with that.  I know some think the lyrics are hokey, but you won't find many better songs that Africa.  Amazing song.
Definitely the strongest hook i've ever heard in a song, the chorus pretty much defines what makes a pop song popular. Even to this day I still find the chorus to be uplifting, especially when I hear it live.

I've listen to this song for over 20 years and that line has never bothered me, now that you mention it though....  :lol Damn it DTF!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »

Also the fact no way can you see Kilimanjaro from the anywhere on the Serengeti, let alone rising like Olympus  ;D

Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »
'Serengeti' just doesn't fit comfortably into the line. The enunciation of it is so awkward

Yeah.. well... you stink.

:biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »
Hey, it's otherwise flawless!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
Speaking of flawless 80s pop songs:

Wham! - Careless Whisper

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »
Speaking of flawless obnoxious 80s pop songs:

Wham! - Careless Whisper

It is an earworm but one of the worst kind.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2017, 08:41:48 AM »

That was my thinking. Also, if you are rockers, sing about getting laid, driving fast cars, spending lavishly on your house.... not some desert in the middle of Africa, or whatever the hell the Serengeti is!

Careless Whisper is a quintessential 80s song but I don't think it is timeless as some of these other songs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »
Speaking of flawless obnoxious 80s pop songs:

Wham! - Careless Whisper

It is an earworm but one of the worst kind.

Eh, you want an obnoxious 80s pop song?  I present to you:

Don't Worry, Be Happy

That song is hot garbage.

Careless Whisper is a quintessential 80s song but I don't think it is timeless as some of these other songs.

Timeless is a tough word, though, as it often refers to something that sounds like it could have come from just about any era or time.  Careless Whisper definitely smacks of the mid 80s.  And I don't have any problem with that.  Songs like that are often a snapshot in time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
Dear God that Don't Worry song is Macarena level of crap.

I was was thinking of 'timeless' to mean something that will resonate in any time period. Thriller will be meaningful 100 years from now. Careless Whisper will not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
If we're talking Spandau Ballet,

No, I'm pretty sure we're NOT talking Spandau Ballet. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »

I was was thinking of 'timeless' to mean something that will resonate in any time period. Thriller will be meaningful 100 years from now. Careless Whisper will not.

I get what you mean, but then that begs the question: how many songs will really be meaningful in 100 years?

I think, if anything, the last decade or so has shown that a lot of 80s music is aging really well.  80s music was everyone's favorite punching bag when grunge had its tinny tiny little phase of being "the thing," but once that faded, a lot of people realized how great the 80s really was for music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
I hear Careless Whisper on my work's intercom music every day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
The hold music for a company I used to have to call almost every day was Tears of Fears' Mad World.   :coolio

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »
I don't think Thriller the song would really be timeless. Its.barely played here nowadays. However, BillIe Jean and Beat It is gold.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »
I would agree with that.  Billie Jean and Beat It were the two most popular and successful songs from Thriller, and have held up as the most enduring songs.  I made this in point in another thread a while back, but you could easily argue that Billie Jean is the most popular song of the rock/pop music era (wherever it starts in the 50s till now).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
Bad also has some amazing songs. Man in the Mirror, in particular, has been sung by so many artists here and it doesn't get old.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
My kid says this weekend, "Dad I heard this cool song; do you know it?" and plays "Africa".  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
My kid says this weekend, "Dad I heard this cool song; do you know it?" and plays "Africa".  :)

When I was much younger, I did the very same thing with my dad and GnR's Paradise City. "Dad, have you heard this?!" as if he was born yesterday. LOL. :)

Africa is, truly, a gift to mankind. Praise be to Paich and Porcaro...