Author Topic: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette- And the winner is.....  (Read 43407 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette- ROUND 7 Under Way!!!
« Reply #735 on: November 22, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
I'll be sending mine shortly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #736 on: November 22, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
I'll be sending mine shortly.

Thanks man  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #737 on: November 23, 2017, 03:05:03 AM »
I kind of thought I could be on my way out with that submission, not because Let Them Believe is bad, because that song is absolutely killer, but because the instrumental is indeed very short and not very noteworthy as a standalone track. Glad I'm still in though, now to send you something amazing for this round.

Waiting on you bro...

Got it!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #738 on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:52 AM »
Da fuq???  The Dear Hunter wasn't banned?!?!?  Well, at least no one can use them next round!  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #739 on: November 23, 2017, 05:44:13 AM »
Da fuq???  The Dear Hunter wasn't banned?!?!?  Well, at least no one can use them next round!  :lol

Yup... I think king sent them in my first roulette and they did quite well, but yeah, I never followed up on them so I considered them a live player.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: November 23, 2017, 06:02:40 AM »
Got a feeling it's the end of the line for me. I may have strayed too much into power metal territory. Not enough doom, gloom, or growls in my submission.  :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #741 on: November 23, 2017, 06:32:35 AM »

Yup... I think king sent them in my first roulette and they did quite well, but yeah, I never followed up on them so I considered them a live player.

Hot damn I forgot I sent them to you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #742 on: November 23, 2017, 07:49:31 AM »

Where do you see this?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: November 23, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »

Where do you see this?

Call me a Spotify stalker.  ;D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #744 on: November 24, 2017, 07:39:14 AM »
Ok, here are this round's submissions...

Jingle- DGM- The Secret Pt 1,2
Tom- The Deer Hunter- A Night on the Town, Is There Anybody Here?
Elite- Dvne- The Crimson Path, Viridian Bloom

I'll probably start listening tomorrow, and will shoot for results on Monday...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #745 on: November 24, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »
Congrats on winning the round Elite  :lol
I've been spinning that Dvne album recently and was like "man if I was still in I'd totally send this to lonestar because it's got anciients vibes like heck"

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #746 on: November 24, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
Who will be the first to judge my TDH picks? :corn
They have so much great songs and it's been hell to pick something but both have been among my favorites recently (especially Is There Anybody Here) and I wanted to fill those 20 minutes the best I could :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: November 24, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
Congrats on getting the Parama kiss of death, Elite.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #748 on: November 24, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
nah jingle if i say someone's winning around then they're gonna win the round for sure, just look at last round in ariich's roulette
you might be going out though, i'm not familiar with dgm so i dunno if they're any good or not though  :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: November 24, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
I don't know Dvne (I thought that was a typo of some sort, but apparently that's the actual band name!), but for all my affinity towards power and prog metal, I just can't get into DGM, I find them too generic and bland. The Secret Pt. 1 is one of the better songs though.

Still, if I were to pick, I would give a win to TDH.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #750 on: November 24, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »
Well, I have a passing knowledge of the peeps involved with DGM, especially Simone, so I'm sure they'll be a fit. TDH has intrigued me in passing, so they're probably gonna click, and if parama is right and Dvne has an Anciients vibe, then that'll be a sure hit.

Here's hoping for a good round, not gonna click play till the drive home tomorrow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: November 24, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
nah jingle if i say someone's winning around then they're gonna win the round for sure, just look at last round in ariich's roulette
you might be going out though, i'm not familiar with dgm so i dunno if they're any good or not though  :corn

Right... just like how I was going to lose to Pain of Salvation a few rounds ago.   ;D

I'll admit, DGM is probably my weakest submission of the last few rounds, but it's a good 1-2 punch for some prog/power with a bit of edge.  Plus, Pathosray won a round, so there is a soft spot for Italian Metal in RJ somewhere.  What I really wanted to send was over the 20 minute limit, and I didn't feel like trying to sneak those tunes in.

But, as Han said to everyone... "I've got a bad feeling about this".

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #752 on: November 25, 2017, 05:59:18 AM »
Congrats on winning the round Elite  :lol
I've been spinning that Dvne album recently and was like "man if I was still in I'd totally send this to lonestar because it's got anciients vibes like heck"

:corn

I thought about holding on to the album in the event that I make the final round, but I might have something else instead if it comes o that point :)
Squ

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #753 on: November 26, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
Ok, let's get rolling on this.

Elite, your tunes are literally kicking the crap out of the other two submissions. Beast level shit straight out of the gates with that fucking bass line omg.... might be the best submission of the roulette so far. Thanks for these guys, you're into the finals!!!!

As two you other two.... this one came down to the nitty gritty, and I went with my round theme as the tie breaker. Chad, your stuff was pretty standard Italian prog metal, a hit or miss with me. It's quality stuff no doubt, but it wasn't out of the park good. Tom, Deer Hunter is good stuff as well, and it was the transition that did this one for ya, so smooth, subtle, a great piece of music. So, Tom, you're into the finals as well....

Now....for the surprise guys.....Tom and Rich, you guys are gonna have to wait a bit before you submit an album, cause you see, in the background in Personal Message land, we've been running a loser's bracket, and the current leader needs to face off against chad to see who gets back into this thing. Now, you may think this is unfair, but they have an insurmountable task ahead of them to win the whole thing. As in all double elimination tournaments, each player has to lose twice to be out, so Tom and Rich, while you only have to submit one album, the winner of the loser's bracket will have to submit two, and BOTH of those albums need to be better than your guys. One bad track, and that fucker is cut.

So, as to the loser's bracket, we got Train of Naught against Orcus. ToN submitted Native Construct- Mute and Orcus submitted Nevermore- The Godless Endeavor. Orcus, your track was solid, I wasn't too hot on the vocals, and the lyrics were comical at best, but musically it was an ass kicking. ToN, your track got a ton of heat in PM land, and that heat was well deserved. This thing was all over the place, a schizophrenic mess. If white girl drunk was a song, it would be this. There was potential there. but they just couldn't stick to it. So Orcus, you're on to the loser's bracket finals against Chad...

WINNER'S BRACKET
Jingle- DGM- The Secret Pt 1,2 - CUT
Tom- The Deer Hunter- A Night on the Town, Is There Anybody Here? - FINALS
Elite- Dvne- The Crimson Path, Viridian Bloom - FINALS

LOSER'S BRACKET
Orcus- Nevermore- The Godless Endeavor- MOVES ON
ToN- Native Construct- Mute - ELIMINATED

Jingle and Orcus, your task is simple. Send me an epic, 18 minute minimum....

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette- RESULTS- ROUND 8? No, not quite yet....
« Reply #754 on: November 26, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
Oh boy. I've got some stuff going on personally so I'm not sure when I'll be able to send but I'll see what I can do.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #755 on: November 26, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »
Awww, conrats orcus. :tup Also that Dvne album is divine :neverusethis: might've been top 10 of the year material, but I can't help but think they would be better off with a different singer.

I'm really satisfied with how far I came though, after my poor performance in the normal brackets. Check out those Amorphis and Persefone albums for sure. And if it was of any interest to you, my two album picks would probably have been Thrice - Beggars and Artificial Language - The Observer in that order
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #756 on: November 26, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »
Oh boy. I've got some stuff going on personally so I'm not sure when I'll be able to send but I'll see what I can do.

Take your time man...I wasn't planning on starting the finals for another week.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #757 on: November 26, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
my predictions all came true
my album pick still is the apologist and in a perfect world someone will send that to lonestar anyways but if not you should still listen to it. it's great

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #758 on: November 26, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
Awww, conrats orcus. :tup Also that Dvne album is divine :neverusethis: might've been top 10 of the year material, but I can't help but think they would be better off with a different singer.

That would be my one dig on it is that they'd be better off with a different singer. Musically it's some god tier stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #759 on: November 26, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
Holy shit, now that’s a plot twist!!

It’s been a while since I got this far into a roulette, so I’ll have ot listen to some stuff before deciding on what to send. Is there any way you can give us all the songs/bands sent in the loser’s bracket? That will be interesting to see as well :)
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: November 26, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
my predictions all came true

Indeed they did.  I knew I had a bad feeling about that one.

Will likely send tomorrow.  Gonna take about 3 hours of listening to figure out what I want to send!

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #761 on: November 26, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
I was pretty confident with TDH and I'm glad I made it through :tup
For and album, I thought I know what to send because, lonestar, you are missing out if you really didn't hear that album but it's different that anything sent before so I don't know would you like it :justjen I will check my library tomorrow, there might be even better stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: November 26, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
Question for you chief... are me/Orcus allowed to send a 'suite' of songs that are multiple TRACKS, but still one song?  Example... Sun Caged / Ashtamangala.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #763 on: November 26, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
If it is a single song with sub-suites, as with Change of Seasons or Close to the Edge, but with Sun Caged, that'd be a no. It has to be a single song.
Is there any way you can give us all the songs/bands sent in the loser’s bracket? That will be interesting to see as well :)

Let's see...

Bands are- Trial, Nova Collective, Persefone, Evergrey, Amorphis, Myrkur, Nevermore, Native Construct

Amorphis, Persefone, and Nevermore were the round winners. The losers bracket started after the fourth round (mostly cause I didn't really think of it till the second haha)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: November 26, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »
If it is a single song with sub-suites, as with Change of Seasons or Close to the Edge, but with Sun Caged, that'd be a no. It has to be a single song.

Copy that.... which at least takes a few options off the table that I needn't have to consider.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: November 29, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
 :corn

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #766 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm still waiting on Orcus. He said he had some personal shit going on, so I'm not pressing him.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #767 on: November 29, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
Who will be the first to judge my TDH picks? :corn
They have so much great songs and it's been hell to pick something but both have been among my favorites recently (especially Is There Anybody Here) and I wanted to fill those 20 minutes the best I could :lol

I'm a bit late to this but hot damn, great picks Tomi. I honestly love A Night on the Town more than any other TDH song (except maybe Home). Is There Anybody Here? Is also a fantastic pick and those two back to back....I don't think I could've picked better myself!

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #768 on: November 29, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
Thank you, kind sir :ariich:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #769 on: December 01, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm still waiting on Orcus. He said he had some personal shit going on, so I'm not pressing him.

Sending shortly and apologies.