Author Topic: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette- And the winner is.....  (Read 43182 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Lonestar's Death Island Roulette- And the winner is.....
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:05 PM »
Greetings DTFers, and welcome to my third roulette. All are welcome, first seven people to jump in will be accepted, and Chad is already in cause he talked me into doing this silliness. I'll take anyone but appreciate people who are active and responsible in sending songs, I hate to wait. As for my half, the speed of this will depend on how my work goes, but I would like to get one to two rounds down a week. There will be no to little writeups, I will more or less just shit talk songs or give them brief praise. Here's the 411.....

RULES

Eight players, eight rounds, one person will be eliminated each round. I will announce at random intervals throughout the week whose safe from elimination until only two people are left, then the elimination will be made. For the first four rounds, their will also be a golden ticket given away that will provide immunity from elimination to the best song. Additional rule: because of the addition of the tenth person, I am adding a "Floating cut", this will be one elimination made at any time, in any round, for any reason. I will try to make it about the music, but it may also be just because you're a Dodger fan.

ROUNDS 1 through 4---- 7 minute maximum song length, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
ROUND 5- 10 minute song length
ROUND 6- two songs from same artist, one must be an instrumental. 15 minute max
ROUND 7- Two consecutive songs from the same artist, songflow will count heavily. 20 minutes max
ROUND 8- Send me an album

FORMAT

All submissions will be PM’d to me for ease and convenience, and except in very special circumstances, I will insist on Spotify links (so I can make a playlist with each round to listen to on my commute) exceptions may be made but please make this easy on me. Once an artists is submitted, they are banned, I don't want competing songs from the same artists.

ME AND MY TASTES…

So I was turned on to prog at a very young age, having older brothers who were cranking Yes when I was a wee lad of 7ish. By age ten I was intimitaly familiar with the likes of Yes, The Who, Rush, Triumph, Pink Floyd and The Kinks. In high school my one brother and I set ourselves a bit apart when we discovered Marillion and through them my favorite band IQ. A few years later I made my first great discovery on my own when I heard Pull Me Under come on the radio. Marriage, fatherhood, divorce, and chronic alcoholism set in, and I found no new music for the next fifteen years. Then came the mutual discoveries of sobriety, DTF, and Lady Obscure Music Magazine. My new drug was music, and I craved all sorts. Mainly found by artists submissions to the webzine or by random searches on Bandcamp (and their mutual user suggestions, a brilliant tool for finding new stuff) I quickly amassed a sizeable library, but I’m always willing for more, hence this roulette. Another thing, there's a good deal of more well known artists I have missed, to the quick and attentive go these spoils.
I like rock, hard rock, metal, and some punk. Prog is my first love, and with that comes prog
metal. Power and symphonic metal will usually play well, but I can be finicky about it. I really love good d'jent, and I mean good, there's a lot of stuff that's being produced in garages and basements across the world that is very sub par, but hidden among it are some real miracles. Growl vocals are cool, but must be done...tastefully. As you can see from my banned list, I am all over the place but have given some markers as to what I really dig.

THE BANNED LIST

Here goes, and I know I missed some things since this is just copied off my phone. Artist with one or two stars are liked and loved by me a lot, and get tons of play time. Artists with three stars are all time favorites.  Also note, pretty much anything that appears on American classic rock radio (Kansas, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pat Benatar for example,  pretty much everything from the seventies and eighties) is also banned. Submit if you think it’ll slide by, but I doubt it.

13 Tries
81db
A Sount of Thunder
Abandoned Stars
Abnormal Thought Patterns
*Absolute Priority
Aching Beauty
Aeon Zen
After Forever
Alek Darson
Altair
***Anathema
**Anciients
Angra
ANthriel
Anubis Gate
AnCision
Aoria
Apocalupse
Arjen (and all related projects)
Astra
Astrakhan
At Vance
Atma Weapon
AudioPlastik
Avantasia
Ayreon
Balance of Power
Baroness
 Battlestations
Beautiful Sin
*Between the Buried and Me
**Beyond the Bridge
Black Sabbath
Black Tide
Blackfield
Blacklands
Blind Melon
Boil
*Boston
Brand New Machine
Cea Serin
*Circus Maximus
Clearlight
Cloudmachine
*Cloudscape
Coheed & Cambria
Control
Corelia
Craving Lucy
Day Six
**Deadly Circus Fire
DeeExpus
Delta
Demon
*Destrage
Devin Townsend (and all projects)
DIsperse
Dream the Electric Sleep
***Dream Theater (all musicians related projects as well, if it has a DT member, it’s not allowed (We’ll call thist the Chad rule)
Eagleheart
Easy Sleezy
Eden’s Curse
Edguy
Edison’s Children
Enceladus
*Enchant
Envinya
*Epica
Epysode
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Evasive
Eviscerated
Exivious
Fanticide
Fates Warning
***Fish
Fishbone
**Flaming Row
Flying Colors
Forester’s Cadet
**Frost*
Goodthink
***Grateful Dead
***Haken
Hammers of Misfortune
Harpies
Hatriot
**Headspace
Helicopria
Holy Grail
Huntress
Icycore
Illusion Suite
Incura
Infinita Symphonia
Intervals
Intronaut
Involved
***IQ
Iron Maiden
Jadis
Jeff Loomis
Jolly
Joseph Magazine
Kaipa
Kamelot
Katatonia
Kettlespider
Kindler
**Kingcrow
Lalu
Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park
Little Zombie
Living Sacrifice
Lonely Robot
Long DIstance Calling
*Maestrick
Magick
*Mandroid Echostar
***Marillion
Masquerade
Mastodon
*Mechanical Poet
Mehida
Memento Waltz
Metallica
Mind Key
Mind Odyssey
Mindgames
MindMaze
Monuments
Moonloop
Mukagee
My Soliloquy
Myrath
Nation Beyond
Neal Morse
Need
**Nightwish
Obsidian Kingdom
Ocean Architecture
Octopus
Odd Dimention
OmnisighT
Otep
Paul Wardingham
Pellek
***Periphery
Personal Grata
Pervy Perkin
***Pete Townshend
***Peter Gabriel
Pilotless Drone
***Pink Floyd
Pinnacle
Pomegranate Tiger
***Porcupine Tree
Postures
Profusion
Project Viremia
**Prospekt
Protean Collecrtive
**Protest the Hero
*Pyramid Theorem
***Queen
Rage Against the Machine
Red Rose
*Redemption
*Riverside
Rizengard
***Rod Stewart (anyone laughing is immediatly kicked out of the roulette)
Roger Waters
Royal Hunt
***Rush
Saffire
Sandstone
Saviour Machine
Scale the Summit
Scorpion Child
Scorpions
*Secret Sphere
Serdce
*Seventh Wonder
Shadow Eden
Shaft of Steel
**Shattered Skies
Shear
**Shineback (and anything else Simon Godfrey)
**Silent Memorial
Six Gun Saints
Skinner
Soul Cycle
Soul of Steel
Soul Secret
**Speaking to Stones
Spheric Universe Experience
Spiritual Beggars
**Spock’s Beard
St. Sleep
Stanima
**Stargate
Steamforged
Stephan Forte
Steve howe
Steve Rothery
***Steve Wilson(all projects)
*Styx
Suicidal Tendencies
*Sun Caged
Suncrown
Sunpocrisy
Supertramp
Symphony X
Synaesthesia
Tears of Anger
Telergy
Tellus Requiem
Teramaze
Terracide
***Tesla
***Tesseract
The Anabasis
The Beatles
The Ben Cameron Project
The Chant
The Commitments
*The Deadstation
The Discovery
The Doctrine of Ethos
The Doobie Brothers
The Edgar Winter Group
The Helix Nebula
The Hive Mind
***The Kinks
The Mascaron
*The Mystery
*The Omega Experiment
The Psychadelic Ensemble
The Ralph
The Safety Fire
The THinking Principle
***The Who
*Thought Chamber
*Thoughts Factory
*Threshold
tide/edit
Timeshift
***Tool
Train
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Transatlantic
Transcend
***Triumph
Twelfth Gate
U2
UFO
Until Rain
Vanden Plas
Vandroya
Vanishing Point
Vision Divine
Visions of Tragedy
Vitriol
**Voices from the Fuselage
Watchtower
While Heaven Wept
Withem
Witherscape
Wolfspring
Woven Distortion
***Yes
Yossi Sassi
Zeiler
Zero Hour

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:07:40 AM by lonestar »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Re: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »
Players -

King
Parama
Train of Naught
Tomislav95
Elite
Canadian Hoser Boy
Evermind
Tyrias
TAC
Orcus?

Artists Banned during the roulette....

BANDS I FORGOT TO ADD...
Thank You Scientist
Oceans of Slumber

ROUND ONE
Caligula's Horse
Leprous
Ihsahn
Bent Knee
Pineapple Theif
Night Flight Orchestra
Witherfall
Pure Reason Revolution
Hirsch Effect
Queens of the Stone Age

ROUND TWO
Iris Divine
Slice the Cake
Edge of Reality
The Tragically Hip
Soen
Voyager
Dimension Act
Dredg

ROUND THREE
Essence of Sorrow
Agent Fresco
Mother's Cake
Beardfish
Fringe
Abime
Sieges Even
Dillinger Escape Plan

ROUND FOUR
Pathosray
Johnny Van Zant
Fair to Midland
Subsignal
Rendezvous Point
Pain of Salvation

ROUND FIVE
Theocracy
Hemina
Oceansize
Isis
Demians

ROUND SIX
Agalloch
Sunburst
Deafheaven
The Ocean

ROUND SEVEN
DGM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:13:38 PM by lonestar »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »
Challenge accepted!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:47:52 AM »
huh, i may fare better here than in other fogey roulettes tbh, sign me the heck up  :corn
i already know -exactly- what i'm sending for round 8 if i make it that far

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:52:27 AM »
Really frightened by the whole elimination and immunity concept but at the same time really intrigued by some of the round themes (read: last 3 rounds I won't make it to anyway).

Count me in baby
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 12:58:21 AM »
I'd like to join :) 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »
I'd like to think I'd do alright in this but I'm so busy at the moment and don't want to hold anything up.

Stupid real life and commitments...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 02:45:45 AM »
Dang, that banned list isn’t going to make things easy. I’ll have a go, if you will have me!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:43:21 AM »
Well damn.  I've only been waiting a year or so for this one.  Naturally, I'm in like Flynn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 03:56:35 AM »
***Dream Theater (all musicians related projects as well, if it has a DT member, it’s not allowed (We’ll call thist the Chad rule)

Glad to see Eagleheart hit the mark.

Looking at the banned list,

A) Man there's a shit-ton in there that you got me in to
B) I recognize more than a few that I had a hand in
C) Only one act in there that I have (had) on my inventory of bands to use  :fistpump:

Also... math.  If you eliminate one person per round, then there will only be one person left for Round 8.  Is there going to be a non-elimination round, or are you going to take 9 entrants?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:43:41 AM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 04:51:00 AM »
I haven't read the first post yet, but just so I won't miss out on this one, can I join? I didn't participate much in roulettes lately, but I want to play in this one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 04:58:31 AM »
Also... math.  If you eliminate one person per round, then there will only be one person left for Round 8.  Is there going to be a non-elimination round, or are you going to take 9 entrants?

No, this is the hidden clause that makes it possible that no-one wins the roulette, if the only participant in round 8 fails to impress Lonestar enough with the album he sent.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 05:08:10 AM »
Alright, I've read the first post now. Round 6 sounds a bit difficult, that is if I'm even going to be in the competition by that point. My goal is to make it to the Round 8, by the way.

Also, sorry RJ, I can't do Spotify—it's not available in my country—but I'll be able to provide you both YouTube and download file links, if that's alright.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 05:14:45 AM »
Sorry for the intrusion, but out of curiosity... how do roulettes work? I've read the rules but the ultimate goal escapes me - it is to promote new music and allow people to discover new stuff, with the "winners" and "losers" determined by how much the roulette host likes the song or the band proposed?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 05:20:26 AM »
Also, sorry RJ, I can't do Spotify—it's not available in my country—but I'll be able to provide you both YouTube and download file links, if that's alright.

I'm sure if you just give him the title/band, he can find it on Spotify.  If he's too lazy to look it up, I'll be your huckleberry.

Sorry for the intrusion, but out of curiosity... how do roulettes work? I've read the rules but the ultimate goal escapes me - it is to promote new music and allow people to discover new stuff, with the "winners" and "losers" determined by how much the roulette host likes the song or the band proposed?

As Orville said to Wilbur.... "You're Wright!"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 05:26:10 AM »

I'm sure if you just give him the title/band, he can find it on Spotify.  If he's too lazy to look it up, I'll be your huckleberry.

Sounds good.

I must say, I'm really damn excited for this. I suppose that's what happens when you haven't participated in these for a while. I'm also ready to bet that Parama will be eliminated in the first round. Anyone wants to make a bet on it?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 05:26:51 AM »

Sounds good.

I must say, I'm really damn excited for this. I suppose that's what happens when you haven't participated in these for a while. I'm also ready to bet that Parama will be eliminated in the first round. Anyone wants to make a bet on it?

I have a history of being eliminated in first rounds, so I'm betting against that.
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 05:31:35 AM »

Sounds good.

I have a history of being eliminated in first rounds, so I'm betting against that.

Me too... I gave RJ the boots early in my last roulette, so there's a good chance he's holding a spot for me so he can exact his revenge.  :lol

:|

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 05:44:27 AM »

As Orville said to Wilbur.... "You're Wright!"

Ah ok, thanks. I've always seen these threads but I was never really sure how they worked  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 05:52:39 AM »
Shit, Chad's right, nine people get to join. I tinker that's eight right now, so room for one more. Those who jumped on it already, send your songs.

The first round might take a bit due to work being a dick right now, but things should speed up soon enough. Plus with people being declared safe on a daily basis, there'll never be a lack of suspense......

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 05:58:16 AM »
Those who jumped on it already, send your songs.

Done! :tup
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »
Sent a question instead of the song.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 06:02:07 AM »
Here's who I got playing so far....

King
Parama
Train of Naught
Tomislav95
Elite
Canadian Hoser Boy
Evermind

So again, my counting sucks, got room for two more...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »
Also, pay attention to the second post, that's where I'll add artist sent in the roulette. One has been added already, and is now banned....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 06:17:23 AM »

King
Parama
Train of Naught
Tomislav95
Elite
Canadian Hoser Boy
Evermind

Orcus did mention the general roulette thread that he wanted in.  Not sure if that counts or not.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 06:17:56 AM »
Alright, sent. I'm ready to get all the ire from this band's fans for not sending the song you guys like the most, but hey, whatever, I like it so it's great.

Offline Tyrias

Re: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette... STILL NEED TWO MORE PLAYERS
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
I'll play if you'll have me. I mean, you participated in both roulettes I judged, time to send you something that you hopefully won't hate.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
Ok, your in Tyrias and we'll tentatively hold a spot for orcus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »

King
Parama
Train of Naught
Tomislav95
Elite
Canadian Homo Boy
Evermind

Hey! I confirmed myself in the roulette thread.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
Tell you what, Tim, if your really interested you're in, and orcus as well. We can go with 9 players and I'll do a surprise double elimination somewhere.....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 10:48:34 AM »
Tell you what, Tim, if your really interested you're in,

:burns:

When I'm done ragging on him about his Roulette, I can bitch-slap him as a "competitor" for a 3rd roulette.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Lonestar's Death Island Roulette... Starting round one....
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
Aaaaaannnnddd SENT!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
Aaaaaannnnddd SENT!!

Is that band named after your sleeping habits?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »
I probably should have done this one instead of Stadler's, since it seems that our tastes are a bit more similar.  On the other hand, I like not being eliminate early.... :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
Aaaaaannnnddd SENT!!

Is that band named after your sleeping habits?

I'm biting my tongue.