Author Topic: MODERN PROG BOOK: "Essential Modern Progressive Rock Albums"  (Read 1610 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

MODERN PROG BOOK: "Essential Modern Progressive Rock Albums"
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
https://progreport.com/essential-modern-prog-rock-albums/

from the guy with the Prog Report:

covering prog albums from 1990-2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuamlgOsIOI

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: MODERN PROG BOOK: "Essential Modern Progressive Rock Albums"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 04:03:54 AM »
A book like this is vastly overdue. Prog histories tend to focus on the 70s, with this modern and far healthier Golden Age a mere footnote.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
Looks like a book I need to add to my collection, only I checked the price and combined with shipping to my country, I think €55 is quite a lot for a book..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:24:06 AM »
Should have waited it out to 2017 so Sons of Apollo could be included.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:36:48 AM »
Should have waited it out to 2017 so Sons of Apollo could be included.

not sure if this is a serious comment

hell, I don't even get why The Similitude of a Dream is in there. Is that really an 'essential' prog rock album? It has barely had the time to prove itself against the test of time, yet it's considered 'essential' according to this book? It hasn't even been out for a year as I'm typing this!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 04:39:24 AM »
not sure if this is a serious comment

Errr........no, it wasn't serious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 05:19:29 AM »
:tup :lol
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »

hell, I don't even get why The Similitude of a Dream is in there. Is that really an 'essential' prog rock album? It has barely had the time to prove itself against the test of time, yet it's considered 'essential' according to this book? It hasn't even been out for a year as I'm typing this!

Think of it this way: if a similar book had been written in the fall of 2000, would you have had an issue with Scenes from a Memory being included?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »
It's an interesting question, I wonder what his criteria is. The one that really sticks out as being out of place for me is actually Epicloud. There are 5-6 Devin Townsend albums that I would be more likely to call prog rock essentials than Epicloud.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:48 AM »
I wasn't around back when SFAM was released (well, technically I was, but I have no way to assess how it affected the scene), but I have a certain feeling that SFAM actually did stir up the pot with regards to the progressive metal scene in a way that TSOAD did not, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »
It's an interesting question, I wonder what his criteria is. The one that really sticks out as being out of place for me is actually Epicloud. There are 5-6 Devin Townsend albums that I would be more likely to call prog rock essentials than Epicloud.

As much as I love Epicloud, I agree that he has quite a few albums considered more essential/definitive.

I wasn't around back when SFAM was released (well, technically I was, but I have no way to assess how it affected the scene), but I have a certain feeling that SFAM actually did stir up the pot with regards to the progressive metal scene in a way that TSOAD did not, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dream Theater was more popular then than Neal Morse Band is now, so it naturally reached more people, but both albums were pretty much universally loved like crazy by the respective fan bases (INB4 a dissenter to ether album chimes in otherwise :lol).  Besides, a book like this is naturally going to tilt a bit towards the author's likes and dislikes (if I were writing a book on the classic prog of the late 60s and 70s, I might give Gentle Giant a sentence or two at most :lol), so I am guessing the writer is a big Neal Morse fan, thus its inclusion despite the album not quite being a year old.