Author Topic: Mindhunter - NETFLIX  (Read 6573 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Mindhunter - NETFLIX
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:27 PM »
Anyone going to watch this? I'm going to check it out, it looks pretty good. It delves into the beginning of the FBI's criminal profiling and from the teasers and what I've read it's supposed to be really good. David Fincher directed 4 of the 10 episodes which excites me a bit. 

https://www.netflix.com/title/80114855
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

Re: Mindhunter - NETFLIX
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
I saw the first two episodes. It's really well made and completely dialogue driven. One review described it as Madmen with detectives. Which is what it looks so far. Maybe a bit of the wire as well. Intriguing for sure.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
I saw the first two episodes. It's really well made and completely dialogue driven. One review described it as Madmen with detectives. Which is what it looks so far. Maybe a bit of the wire as well. Intriguing for sure.

:tup    Cool...I'll probably catch an episode or two this weekend.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
I'm on episode 4 now and this show is fucking awesome so far. The first episode sort of wanders around so I wasn't really sure where it was going. But by the end of the 2nd episode I was bought into the direction it was going. The show is more Se7en than Madmen I think with some Silence of the Lambs and with shades of The Wire for the procedural sequences. There isn't any real action so far but it has riveting dialogue throughout. I like the slow pacing and slow build to everything, even if sometimes there isn't a payoff to that build (Hence my mention of The Wire). The acting is a bit weird at times esp with the lead guy, not sure I buy into his portrayal fully just yet.

I can tell Fincher had a lot to do with setting the tone and look of the show, all 4 episodes so far are setup that way. Really looking forward to watching them all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »
Just watched the first three episodes. This is a really good show. You're right faizoff, very dialog and character driven but they've done a good job at both. I don't imagine it's going to take me long to fit through this series.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
Managed to finish it all last night! Amazing show for sure, I think I'm still not sold on the lead guy, don't find his acting that convincing for some reason. I also think his relationship with the girlfriend is kinda wasted time and space on that show. Regardless those are really just a few minor gripes, doesn't take away from everything else.

Everyone else was great and my favorite portrayal has to be Tench, the actor was great and his character arc was a joy to watch. More thoughts later.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
I think I'm still not sold on the lead guy, don't find his acting that convincing for some reason.

I understand what you're getting at. I don't think it's the acting as much as the character. It seems like they're trying to give him serial killer traits with the quirkiness and intelligence and blend it with a 'normal' person? I don't know....it hasn't bothered me as much as just it sticks out that he's a really different character

Oh and ANNA TORV!  :metal     Frickin' loved her in 'FRINGE' and now get to see her some more.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 06:49:43 AM »
I suppose that's the purpose of his role, to make him look a bit unnerving. They maybe are trying to make him more detached and sorta like his subjects. If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't blink a lot in his scenes which adds to his supposed creepiness. I don't know, either way, it's going to be a terribly long wait for such a good show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 07:24:37 AM »
I suppose that's the purpose of his role, to make him look a bit unnerving. They maybe are trying to make him more detached and sorta like his subjects. If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't blink a lot in his scenes which adds to his supposed creepiness. I don't know, either way, it's going to be a terribly long wait for such a good show.

I've only three episodes to go....I'm not having the same issue you had with the lead character. He is 'off' for sure but I really think that's intentional. Nonetheless, this show is pretty friggin good! And, that's the issue with binge watching a show in lieu of the traditional flow.....the wait between seasons.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »
Zipped through 4 episodes today, really good stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 11:51:17 PM »
Just knocked the rest out tonight. Loved it! As faizoff mentioned it's a bummer to have to wait now, assuming there's another season coming. I can't imagine there won't be.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:03:45 AM »
The show was already renewed for a second season prior to release, and one of the topics they tackle will be the Atlanta child killings.
https://collider.com/mindhunter-season-2/

I think really for this show the first episode was the weakest, more so because it was just setting things up rather than telling much of a story. But man once it got going, there was no stopping it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:49:16 AM »
I haven't read this thread in order to avoid spoilers, so forgive me if I'm intruding on the current discussion.

Mrs. P and I watched the first two episodes. Love the dialog driven drama (DDD). At first, with the violence of 'shotgun meets face', I thought we were in for splatter horror and death voyeurism, but the show quickly provided more subtle chills. Anyway, it is interesting to see how the FBI became interested in the subject and the initial resistance to the idea. Love, love, love seeing the 1970's again with the crappy cars and the women in hot clothes. A couple of Farrah hair does and it would even be more authentic.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:01 AM »
Gregg....my favorite aspect of the show is the 'DDD'. I love the fact this isn't a shoot em' up Cop show, that it's character driven. Not many shows can pull it off and  actually be a good show....'The Leftovers' was the most recent show that pulled it off in my eyes.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
Yeah, The Leftovers, The Wire are some of the great character-driven shows and this one ranks with them. Truly well executed. Additionally, not a specific spoiler but I love how they ended Holden's arc in the series, his last scene in the series was an awesome closer.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
Yeah, The Leftovers, The Wire are some of the great character-driven shows and this one ranks with them. Truly well executed. Additionally, not a specific spoiler but I love how they ended Holden's arc in the series, his last scene in the series was an awesome closer.

Absolutely agree. It was all building towards something like that and they did a good job of setting up those domino's to fall.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »
I started watching this couple of days ago and I'm absolutely hooked. I love Anna Torv ever since Fringe and I decided to see if she's starring in anything else (strange that somehow her career didn't explode so to say after Fringe, she was so amazing there) and decided to give this a shot. I love it. The main characters are written and played amazingly well, but the guys who play the killers they interview are so good that I actually like their characters and genuinely laugh at their jokes, no matter how morbid they might be.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
I love Anna Torv ever since Fringe and I decided to see if she's starring in anything else (strange that somehow her career didn't explode so to say after Fringe, she was so amazing there)

She really was and I was surprised as well that she didn't get more roles from her stint in FRINGE. Perhaps we will see more of her in the future?

but the guys who play the killers they interview are so good that I actually like their characters and genuinely laugh at their jokes, no matter how morbid they might be.

totally agree, especially the character Kemper. That actor is legit playing a serial killer....could totally buy into that they just used a real serial killer to play a serial killer.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
I checked out some of the interviews the real Kemper did and I think the show just used that straight up. It's eerie watching them both.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 02:04:59 PM »
I checked out some of the interviews the real Kemper did and I think the show just used that straight up. It's eerie watching them both.

I'll have to check those out also. YouTube have them or did you find them somewhere else?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 02:09:26 PM »
They're on youtube.

Here's one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTnEY8y-p7M

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
They're on youtube.

Here's one

cool...thanks for the link.  :tup       I'll check that out later tonight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
They're on youtube.

Here's one

Holy Cow!! Watched both videos from that interview. I cannot believe how 'normal' that guy is. It's frightening.....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 07:20:31 PM »
His candor during those interviews is very unnerving, he's very 'normal' and actually quite intelligent with a high IQ, he's got a towering experience, jeez 6'9" is no joke. I like how they didn't change him that much for the show but just enough to add a bit more of creepiness to it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
His candor during those interviews is very unnerving, he's very 'normal' and actually quite intelligent with a high IQ, he's got a towering experience, jeez 6'9" is no joke. I like how they didn't change him that much for the show but just enough to add a bit more of creepiness to it.

Yeah. They made the character on TV seem like he had a bit more social awkwardness than how he came across in real life. Literally spoke, acted and looked like the everyday 'Joe'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 08:10:19 PM »
Meant to write 'presence' not 'experience'

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
Definitely an intriguing watch, but it also felt like a Part 1 and was not totally satisfying. Not that this is an inherent negative considering a Season 2 is already confirmed. There's a lot left to explore though and that's pretty exciting. It's not in my favorites now but I have a feeling once Season 2 comes out and I eventually binge both seasons, it'll be up there.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
Cool side by side of the shows Kemper scenes with real interview footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYBmNYc8IA#action=share

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
I was thinking about this while mowing the lawn. Fincher said he hopes that show goes on for five seasons, so that gives time for Bill's son to grow a bit older. I really hope they don't put in some subplot in the future where Bill's son starts having some serial killer-like tendencies. That would be so unnecessary in my eyes, I'm just interested if he'll play into a subplot later in the show.

Also, on that subject, after the crash and Holden and Bill are eating in the diner, is Bill hinting to Holden that he feels a connection to him where Bill views Holden like a son, since he can't connect to his own?

Cool side by side of the shows Kemper scenes with real interview footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYBmNYc8IA#action=share
Also, my God, it's almost perfect. That's haunting
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
Just started watching. Just one episode in and its really decent. I love shows like this and one of my favorite movies ever is Manhunter which is essentially the same concept, hunting serial killers using criminal psychology. Fascinating stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »
Yeah this show is more about those techniques developed by the FBI used in the silence of the lambs/manhunter movies. It's a gripping show and extremely well made though oddly enough I feel the 1st episode is the weakest of them all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »
I'm about 6 episodes in and I totally agree, the first episode was kind of so so. But its really good from what I seen there after.

Mindhunter is basically what I wanted the Hannibal TV show to be. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 04:05:55 AM »
Season 2 out now

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Looking forward to it. And I just saw this comment:

Mindhunter is basically what I wanted the Hannibal TV show to be. 

did you not like Hannibal? I thought and still think Hannibal was incredible.....and in my mind Mads Mikkelson IS Hannibal Lectar.....not Anthony Hopkins. That series was awesome and there is rumblings that all involved are chomping at the bit to start it back up.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
Two chiming-ins: One, Hannibal the series is amazing and one of the greatest and most beautiful TV accomplishments ever; and Two, I'm really looking forward to season 2 of Mindhunter. But it will never beat out Hannibal in my eyes simply because of the artistry and the acting of Mikkelson and Dancy and their chemistry.

I digress. This season looks to only ramp up the subjects and eerie intrigue of S1, which is exactly what I wanted. :metal :corn

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.