Author Topic: Harvey Weinstein  (Read 11698 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Harvey Weinstein
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2017, 03:31:33 PM »
The psychology of this kind of thing interests me. Weinstein is rich enough to be able to pay any number of willing professionals (hookers that is) to give him all the 'massages' he wants, yet he seems to get off on the control/manipulation/intimidation aspect of it. I know it's a fool's errand to try to imagine the appeal of a perversion you don't have, but I still find it such an odd way to get your sexual kicks. Endless stories are now coming out of him becoming enraged when he got knocked back...why would you bother with so much useless energy (I mean easily avoidable anger) and the very real potential of being looked upon as a pathetic fat ugly loser? What's the appeal here, why expose (!) yourself to that? Does the thrill of the occasional 'victory' really outweigh the humiliation and rage of all the 'failures'? These are questions I'd love to ask the guy if I ever had the chance.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
The psychology of this kind of thing interests me. Weinstein is rich enough to be able to pay any number of willing professionals (hookers that is) to give him all the 'massages' he wants, yet he seems to get off on the control/manipulation/intimidation aspect of it. I know it's a fool's errand to try to imagine the appeal of a perversion you don't have, but I still find it such an odd way to get your sexual kicks. Endless stories are now coming out of him becoming enraged when he got knocked back...why would you bother with so much useless energy (I mean easily avoidable anger) and the very real potential of being looked upon as a pathetic fat ugly loser? What's the appeal here, why expose (!) yourself to that? Does the thrill of the occasional 'victory' really outweigh the humiliation and rage of all the 'failures'? These are questions I'd love to ask the guy if I ever had the chance.

One of the actresses claims he made them watch him take a shower. Not the other way around. He got naked and showered while forcing some young starlet to watch him. I'm no Lothario, but I can't wrap my head around the move of washing one's own fat folds as a sexual powerplay. I'm in decent enough shape and next to Harvey I'd look like a full blown athlete, and I would never put myself in that vulnerable situation with a beautiful woman I didn't know, much less get off on it. Dude's definitely twisted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »

One of the actresses claims he made them watch him take a shower. Not the other way around. He got naked and showered while forcing some young starlet to watch him. I'm no Lothario, but I can't wrap my head around the move of washing one's own fat folds as a sexual powerplay. I'm in decent enough shape and next to Harvey I'd look like a full blown athlete, and I would never put myself in that vulnerable situation with a beautiful woman I didn't know, much less get off on it. Dude's definitely twisted.

I read somewhere he made a female watch him beat off onto a plant in a hotel room  :lol  It's definitely a power move IMO

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
I had the same bewilderment with Tiger Woods. With Weinstein you can imagine that it was the power and control. Tiger was banging IHOP hostesses, FFS. Just random, ordinary women. Maybe it was the stepping down that he got off on. Dunno. As best I can figure the idea of simply buying some discretion in your sex life never occurs to these people, or they find it repugnant. In Weinstein's case that's even more interesting.

As for the exposure aspect, that's also a weird one. After a widely publicized incident a couple of years ago I spent a couple of hours reading the forum at a site dedicated to that sort of thing. Pretty amusing, I must say. Suffice it to say they're some weird fucks. But in the end, we all have our interests and peculiarities, and I generally don't want to know about them nor judge them based upon my own.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2017, 05:08:47 PM »
I'm obviously not condoning his actions, but Tiger banging waitresses (I thought it was Perkins? Although probably hit all the chains) I can understand. Someone once said the coolest thing about being Batman would be that in any room he walks into (as Bruce Wayne) he can be confident he can kick everyone's ass. With a Tiger like situation it's probably the same thing, but instead of kicking asses he was getting inside that ass. No matter what room he walked into he probably knew in the back of his mind he could tap the hottest piece of ass.

Until his wife brained him with a 7 iron.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
I read somewhere he made a female watch him beat off onto a plant in a hotel room  :lol  It's definitely a power move IMO
Sounds very similar to the sort of thing Louis C.K. supposedly has done (another guy whose harassment of women is apparently an open secret, but nothing has been done).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
With a Tiger like situation it's probably the same thing, but instead of kicking asses he was getting inside that ass. No matter what room he walked into he probably knew in the back of his mind he could tap the hottest piece of ass.

Except Tiger was very, very insecure with women. The story goes (if I am remembering right) he was hanging out with Jeter and Jordan and casually asked "So, how do you talk to women?" They were all "You go up to them, and say 'Hi, I am Tiger Woods."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
When is that story from?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't always a deviant, he just went completely beserk. He's definitely a flawed person (obviously) and I could see him realizing he enjoyed his new found 'getting girls' ability as intoxicating, and going completely overboard.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
Probably early on, I do not recall honestly. I hesitate to call his behavior "deviant." That is a bit if a spectrum with me, and being a world-traveling rich athlete having affairs is pretty low on my scale of deviancy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
I think Tiger probably missed out on a conventional youth because he was walloping golf balls all the livelong day, so I can definitely imagine him having issues with 'normal' relations. Plus, not to psychoanalyze the guy from the comfort of my armchair, but it seems that his dad was the one thing that gave his life stability, and when he died, Tiger kind of spiraled off into a very odd and immature 'fantasy' world.

With Weinstein (and perhaps Bill Cosby, though there's an important difference between the two), I think the thrill was in demonstrating to himself his power and control. Which fascinates me, because he was already an enormously powerful man who had control over so much, and so many people. A British woman gave an interview a few days ago on the BBC in which she recounted her own story of working for him in London back in the 90s. It was skin-crawling, but as I was reading her story, I tried to put myself in Harvey's position, being knocked back with utter revulsion and disgust by female after female. Clearly his ego is a very fragile thing if he's exploding with rage after every rejection, so why on earth did he constantly subject himself to that humiliation?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:00:14 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Wasn't he actually minimizing the amount of rejection by focusing on women less inclined to spurn him? Seems to me that if you're so ego fragile that you can't handle rejection then starting from a position of power would be self-preservation.

And I don't think Cosby was into the power trip thing. He was just lazy. He learned back in the early 70s that stuperous women are a lot easier to get along with than the sharp and focused variety.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
Sounds very similar to the sort of thing Louis C.K. supposedly has done (another guy whose harassment of women is apparently an open secret, but nothing has been done).

Really????   Really???? (I say that in disbelief that I haven't heard that, not to imply that you are wrong).   I like - not love - Louis C.K., but there was always something that rubbed me the wrong way about him and I couldn't (still can't, really) place it.  But that would start to explain things.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
To me, the flaws of Tiger Woods are not comparable to Harvey in any way.   

Tiger, to my knowledge, didn't do anything that wasn't between consenting adults, and while it's not my way of going about things, I certainly get it (as does, it appears, el Barto).   I know for me, I'm neither Tiger Woods nor one of the Jonas Brothers (purity rings?  Get it?) but for me - scared of rejection, not that confident - the idea of "paying for it" was a hurdle I could never (and have never) gotten past.    I'm a different person now, but when in high school and college and shortly thereafter, I would never, ever walk up to the hottest girl in the room and start a conversation.  I could do that now (when it's clearly a different dynamic) but then?   I would - subconsciously, and I know this only in hindsight - opt for the "friend" of the hot girl, or the girl that was alone (that sounds creepier than it really was).  It didn't guarantee that I was getting laid, but it certainly lessened the odds of the spectacle happening at my expense.   The point being, I can understand the idea of improving your odds.   

That's not Weinstein.    I don't get the sense that it is "sex" in the common definition of the word.   I also don't get the sense that there would be a thrill if there was consent, nor that there would be a thrill if there wasn't that awkwardness.    Look, he knew his foibles; I draft contracts for a living, and my biggest asset to my company is that I think of things before they happen, before they are "needed".  It's the most common mistake in contract law; "the contract is silent on that".  And yet, Harvey had a clause that basically said - and I'm paraphrasing as I understand it; any mistakes are mine and based on expediency - as long as he agreed to pay out and settle any sexual/harassment claim, he couldn't be fired or otherwise be considered in breach of his employment deal.   You DO NOT, in my experience, put that in there as a "safety net" or "just because".   That has to be a carefully drafted, deeply negotiated clause, and you do not do that for something that "is never going to happen".     

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/10/19/quentin-tarantino-on-weinstein-allegations-knew-enough-to-do-more-than-did.html

Kind of nice to actually see someone admit they knew and didn't do something regretfully. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »
I'm curious to see how much legs this story has. Remember, the mainstream media did everything they could for about a week to keep this from blowing up to protect his Democratic politician friends. It wasn't until you had the A list celebs start talking that our celebrity obsessed culture start caring. It's obviously no surprise that stuff like this happens and I'm hoping that some culture change actually comes of this. I have two young daughters and I hope they never have to encounter an asshole like Weinstein.

On another note, can society worship pop stars who prance around half naked and still have an equitable view of women? Sex sells, but who is selling. Some scuzzy fat dude or are these women selling it themselves?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Kaos, in that context, what do you think of the Al Michaels episode?   For those that don't know, on Monday Night Football, Al said - and this is a paraphrase, not a direct quote because I'm going from memory; you can Google it - "The Giants had a tougher week than Harvey Weinstein, and yet, they're up 14-0".    IMMEDIATELY following the next commercial, Al issued an apology that, to my ears, seemed rote, forced and half-assed.

In my view, that is indicative of what you're saying here.   

One of the things that struck me on this story was the degree to which it resembles a grenade, or a car going through a mud puddle.   The "spray" on stories like this is so wide.   Ben Affleck.  Matt Damon.   Not saying whether any of it is justified or not, but it does have "reach", and as we watch the dust settle, it's fascinating to me to watch the same celebrities that kept their mouths shut when it was their precious careers on the line are now - with their careers again on the line - distancing themselves from Weinstein faster than they can type their rote and systematic tweets about how "disgusting" Weinstein's behavior was and is.   

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »
Why is disgusting in quotes?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
One of the things that struck me on this story was the degree to which it resembles a grenade, or a car going through a mud puddle.   The "spray" on stories like this is so wide.   Ben Affleck.  Matt Damon.   Not saying whether any of it is justified or not, but it does have "reach", and as we watch the dust settle, it's fascinating to me to watch the same celebrities that kept their mouths shut when it was their precious careers on the line are now - with their careers again on the line - distancing themselves from Weinstein faster than they can type their rote and systematic tweets about how "disgusting" Weinstein's behavior was and is.   

That's kind of why I appreciate Tarantino's admission.  There's nothing to gain by saying that, but we all know it's there and it's better for the cause to come out and say the truth than to hide and pretend it doesn't exist or to product your own brand because you looked the other way. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »
IMMEDIATELY following the next commercial, Al issued an apology that, to my ears, seemed rote, forced and half-assed.

Because it was. Al has been the top guy in the business for decades, and probably didn't need or want some studio exec shouting in his headphones to apologize for his joke.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »

To symbolize the buzzword nature of the responses.  They are all so similar as to be scripted (the exact word I want) by the same person or group.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
IMMEDIATELY following the next commercial, Al issued an apology that, to my ears, seemed rote, forced and half-assed.

Because it was. Al has been the top guy in the business for decades, and probably didn't need or want some studio exec shouting in his headphones to apologize for his joke.

The funny thing?  In his real life, Al Michaels is one of the "cleanest" guys out there.   Married to the same woman for over 50 years (literally, he was already married when I was born) and with almost no scandal (one DWI which he plead no contest to a reduced charge).   

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »

To symbolize the buzzword nature of the responses.  They are all so similar as to be scripted (the exact word I want) by the same person or group.

People can't use similar words? I'm not sure why you want everyone to use very diverse and different language.

Is "genocide" scripted buzzword response to the holocaust? Things can simply be what they are. What he did was disgusting, not sure why that word is a problem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
Stadler don’t tell me you’re going to start this shit up with the word disgusting now?  You’re pushing this too far, please, you have to see that!?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »
This is all Bill Clinton's fault, for starting the debate over what the word "is" meant.  :lol :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
This is all Bill Clinton's fault, for starting the debate over what the word "is" meant.  :lol :lol

One of the greatest politically-expedient retorts of my lifetime. I work now in politics, and that comment of his (complete with that confident smirk) is actually taught in universities as an example of how to obfuscate and ultimately annihilate the very sense of language when under pressure. No other profession (lawyers come close) can transform sense into nonsense as masterfully as a politician, and Bill gave an exemplary illustration of it here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3TQf2xDc8

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »

I told my wife (newly married at the time) that the President said Oral was not Sex.  Man did I have fun with that line.
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2017, 07:29:29 PM »

The joke was beneath him, though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »
Maybe, but it was a harmless joke. Not a big deal. Sad that he had to apologize for it, but that's life in the 21st century where somebody is offended by everything.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
Maybe, but it was a harmless joke. Not a big deal. Sad that he had to apologize for it, but that's life in the 21st century where somebody is offended by everything.

So true man....heres a story of being offended and trying to change things.

http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/vivid-halloween-decorations-at-county-clerks-office-makes-visitor-uneasy/4638383/
The office was decorated by county clerk employees, who spent their own time and money on fixing up the place for October...

And heres another news station of the same story but with funnier quotes...

http://krqe.com/2017/10/17/spooky-decor-draws-unlikely-reaction-at-government-office/
The County Clerk says employees used their own money to decorate the office. They say they get a lot of compliments and this is the first complaint.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2017, 11:44:52 PM »
https://divinecosmos.com/start-here/davids-blog/1221-I have just violated forum rule #1--please ban me-wikileaks?showall=&start=2
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »
https://divinecosmos.com/start-here/davids-blog/1221-I have just violated forum rule #1--please ban me-wikileaks?showall=&start=2

I'm still reading lol. That's A LOT of material. These are the things I would normally dismiss on the internet, but I'm less inclined to consider something "impossible" or "laughably far fetched" after the last year or so. I guess the only thing that matters is the supposed missing link of the next WikiLeaks dump. Otherwise, it's just wild speculation that makes an entertaining read  :corn

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

I'm still reading lol. That's A LOT of material. These are the things I would normally dismiss on the internet, but I'm less inclined to consider something "impossible" or "laughably far fetched" after the last year or so. I guess the only thing that matters is the supposed missing link of the next WikiLeaks dump. Otherwise, it's just wild speculation that makes an entertaining read  :corn

Yeah, its why I like his articles. Most of it has been proven true.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »
That URL?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »
That URL?

What about?

You can take it however you want. Theirs some interesting links in that article related to Weinstein that I find interesting.