Burning Man
1 (11.1%)
What Kinda Man
6 (66.7%)
The Right Side Of My Mind
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: October 07, 2017, 11:02:43 PM

Author Topic: QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017 - Q2K - round 1  (Read 603 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017 - Q2K - round 1
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »
8. Q2K

Q2K is the seventh studio album by Queensr˙che, released on 14 September 1999. It was the only Queensr˙che studio album to feature guitarist Kelly Gray, who, in the early 1980s, was in a band called Myth with vocalist Geoff Tate. "Breakdown" was released as the first single off Q2K. "The Right Side of My Mind" was released as the band's first music video since the album Promised Land and has had occasional airplay on VH1 Classic, which also premiered it in a special co-hosted by Geoff Tate.

LINE-UP:
- Geoff Tate - vocals
- Kelly Grey - guitar
- Micheal Wilton - guitar
- Scott Rockenfield - drums
- Eddie Jackson - bass
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. :huh:

Q2K is an album that I known the least from Quennsryche, and first without Chris... Well, after relistening it yesterday I have to say that I quite like it. Of course, there are really bad songs on it, but there are also very good. I like Tate's vocals on that one, I like the atmosphere on some specific songs from Q2K... I would put that album higher than HITNW in my ranking I think... for now ;) Anyway, my first vote goes to.... What Kinda Man.

Offline Dittomist

Re: QUEENSRYCHE SURVIVOR 2017 - Q2K - round 1
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
I don't like Q2K nearly as much as HITNF, but it's still an enjoyable listen for the most part. I already know what song is going to take the top spot and what song will be eliminated first, but it's hard to predict any of the other results. Yep, Wot Kinda Man is garbage. However, there will be another Queensryche "Wot" song down the road that is sooooooooo much worse. Ugh, I can't believe they would intentionally misspell "what" once, let alone twice! Wot the fuck?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:22:34 AM »
Damn, this is one album i will have to listen to again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 02:35:01 AM »
As I said in the discography thread I really like this record. Right Side is probably winning here but I like some songs even better.

Wot kinda man isn't one of them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:22:51 AM »
What Kinda Man

There are some fine songs on the album, though.

Online T-ski

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:34:24 AM »
What Kind of Man.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
One Life

But I'm good with Wot Kinda Man, or a few others going.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »
Uhh, guys... do you know where I can listen to this album? It's not on Spotify & all the YouTube videos I found are "blocked in my country". :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
Uhh, guys... do you know where I can listen to this album? It's not on Spotify & all the YouTube videos I found are "blocked in my country". :lol
Where are You from then? In Poland on YT I could find every song from that album except One Life. And I have it on cd....

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Where are You from then? In Poland on YT I could find every song from that album except One Life. And I have it on cd....

I'm from Australia. I was checking from the QR Topic channel where all the Q2K videos were blocked, but just by searching each song individually, I found all of them except One Life & Burning Man. Any idea on where to find those?  :yarr

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »

I'm from Australia. I was checking from the QR Topic channel where all the Q2K videos were blocked, but just by searching each song individually, I found all of them except One Life & Burning Man. Any idea on where to find those?  :yarr
There You go -
https://youtu.be/T-shhl5LxWE
At the end of the setlist You can find Burning Man. I couldn't find One Live unfortunately...  :-\

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the link, but since I didn't want my first impression to be a live recording, I just ended up pirating it to hear the missing tracks. dontkillmemods :\

Anyway, this album is kinda the opposite of what HITNF was for me. While that album was really inconsistent & its songs could range from awful to amazing, Q2K is kind of just middle of the road. It's not bad by any means, but a lot of the songs start to bleed together & it gets REALLY generic at points. That's probably going to make the ranking harder, but I do have a clear last place in mind.

#1.
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
#9.
11. One Life

For how many votes I saw Wot Kinda Man getting, I was fully expecting to hate it, but it actually became an early favourite of mine. IMO it pulls off the groove-oriented QR way better than songs like Get A Life & Reach.