Author Topic: R.I.P AOL Instant Messenger  (Read 2599 times)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
R.I.P AOL Instant Messenger
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »
[urlhttps://money.cnn.com/2017/10/06/technology/aim-shuts-down/index.html][/url]

Not sure about posting my AIM username, but this was something I used a lot when I went to college in the early 2000s.  Haven't used it much since because the people I chatted with (including some people from dt.net) migrated to other media.  I haven't logged in for a few years myself.  So farewell AIM, you will be missed.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Online Anguyen92

Re: R.I.P AOL Instant Messenger
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »
AIM was still alive until now?  I imagined that thing died a horrible death by the time things like Skype and Discord became a huge thing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »
Yea, I had assumed this died like 15 years ago.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:11:54 PM »
Man I can’t believe it’s being killed off, after ICQ AIM was mynmost used messenger through middle school to high school.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
I forgot about AIM. I started using another program many years ago where you could link AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and other stuff to one account. I forgot what it was called. I haven't used it in a very long time.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:39:21 PM »
AIM was still alive until now?  I imagined that thing died a horrible death by the time things like Skype and Discord became a huge thing.

I assumed it died like a decade before Discord was even a thing at all. :lol Even MSN has been dead for like 5 years now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 11:43:03 PM »
I started using another program many years ago where you could link AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and other stuff to one account. I forgot what it was called.
Pidgin?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »

I assumed it died like a decade before Discord was even a thing at all. :lol Even MSN has been dead for like 5 years now.

Honestly, I don't know why I stated Discord.  The proper program around that time that sense doom for AIM would have been something like Teamspeak.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »

Honestly, I don't know why I stated Discord.  The proper program around that time that sense doom for AIM would have been something like Teamspeak.

I don't personally put Teamspeak or Discord in the same category as Skype/AIM, because they took the concept in a slightly different direction.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
I started using another program many years ago where you could link AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and other stuff to one account. I forgot what it was called.
Pidgin?

Pidgin was the shit.  I was so stoked when I figured out how to link all of my chat apps into one.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
Pidgin?

Pidgin was the shit.  I was so stoked when I figured out how to link all of my chat apps into one.

I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I used Trillian for a couple years before Pidgin because I thought, visually, it was far easier on the eyes. Can't remember why I went to Pidgin but both were fantastic programs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
Hey everyone in this thread... a/s/l?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »

This brought back a memory. When I was young, like 12, I used to hang out in the AOL Teen chat rooms. I wound up getting banned for bringing up Deep Throating. Mind you.. I had no idea what the term meant, as my older brother told me to ask for it in chat.

Right after I got banned, I had like 3 people (presumably girls) message me offering to fuck me. I proceeded to turn off the computer and legit ran out of the room my computer was in :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
Spoiler alert Jay, those were dudes who messaged you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »
Spoiler alert Jay, those were dudes who messaged you.

:rollin

cramx3 goes back to aol 95 days, AIM was a big part of high school before texting and cell phones and eventually things like facebook and skype.  See ya!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
My first real relationship started on AIM and Yahoo Messenger.  I mean.. I knew her in person... we were in high school, but that's where we did all of our chatting (as I didn't really have a cell phone for texting at first.)

AIM also holds a (bad?) memory with me regarding my dad's death.  My cousin (who was much older than me) and I used to chat on AIM a lot in the mornings.. especially during the times I wasn't physically in "school". We'd usually chat and debate about shit we read in our local newspaper online, and one morning we were talking about an unnamed motorcyclist killed accident that we had read about. After like half an hour she goes quiet. I figured her boss (Aka her dad :lol ) got on her ass... but then i get a call from her informing me that the accident we were talking about was my Dad.

I don't mean to go into a depressing poor me rant, but that just shows all the memories I have with AIM. It was a bigger part of my life than I realized.

I feel like I need to log into my AIM account #OneLastTime

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »

This brought back a memory. When I was young, like 12, I used to hang out in the AOL Teen chat rooms. I wound up getting banned for bringing up Deep Throating. Mind you.. I had no idea what the term meant, as my older brother told me to ask for it in chat.

Right after I got banned, I had like 3 people (presumably girls) message me offering to fuck me. I proceeded to turn off the computer and legit ran out of the room my computer was in :lol

That's hilarious.

One time I was 10 and in an IRC chat. Clicked on a link, and window after window popped up with goatse, lightning fast. I turned off the monitor, unplugged the computer and didn't come back for a couple hours  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
I forgot about AIM. I started using another program many years ago where you could link AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and other stuff to one account. I forgot what it was called. I haven't used it in a very long time.
Trillian.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cable

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
I used it a lot in it's heyday, from like 1998-2006. ICQ was superior IMO, but AIM was simpler and therefore more people used it. I talked a fair amount to my exes on there, will be weird not to use it in initial relationship stages like I did in the past!
---

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
Trillian.
same here.  I would set the transparency to like 10 % while at work so nobody could see from a distance.  Also with aim, my wife and I developed the beginnings of our relationship chatting so often.  It really facilitated a different level of communication and openness that, were it not for aim, allowed us to really understand eachother since we are both pretty quiet and reserved.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
Pidgin?

I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I used Trillian for a couple years before Pidgin because I thought, visually, it was far easier on the eyes. Can't remember why I went to Pidgin but both were fantastic programs.

Trillian.

Yes that was it! Trillian. Good times. I never heard of the Pigdin program.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 06:24:53 PM »
Trillian was still being used st the help desk I worked at last year

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
My screen name was "HereB4meIsMySoul" (Learning to Live)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »

36/not any time recently/Louisiana
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
Me and my friends would use AIM a lot. But where I had fun in my teens was Yahoo Chat.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
I really miss the ICQ "uh-oh" sound whenever I got a message.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »

36/M/Somewhere in Time
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 05:51:41 AM »

I hated conversations starting like that  :lol

I really miss the ICQ "uh-oh" sound whenever I got a message.

Me too! I still have ICQ but I use online simulators, I don't have it installed since forever. Still my favorite chat program along MSN.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 05:59:15 AM »
I'd love an icq theme for my imessages app

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
My screen name was "HereB4meIsMySoul" (Learning to Live)

NERD...

I love it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 06:56:58 AM »
I too as everyone was surprised to learn that messenger has been on this whole time. I think this was the very first account I had for any kind of messaging service way back in 98 I believe. It was something like phaizeoff.

Well can't say I'm going to miss it because I don't.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »
I'm really curious to know what the daily active users count was before the plug was pulled.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:01 AM »
I'm really curious to know what the daily active users count was before the plug was pulled.

And if any of them were under the age of 50.

This is like when you found out a really old celebrity died at age 95, and you're surprised because you just assumed they died a decade ago.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
Before I had MSN, I used AOL once in a while, until I ran up a gigantic Phone-bill! And is it just me or did every other conversation with a female counterpart turn into a sexual convo? 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
And is it just me or did every other conversation with a female counterpart turn into a sexual convo?

Well yes and no. They did turn into sexual convos, but every other female counterpart was a dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com