Author Topic: You could not pay me enough to...  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
You could not pay me enough to...
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
They say everybody's got a price, but what is something or somethings you would absolutely never do, no matter how much money someone offered you?

For me it would be cave exploring, the kind where the passages are super narrow and it feels like you are getting stuck. I am typically not claustrophic, but knowing that one wrong turn can lead to you getting stuck and dying in some shitty cave in the dark. No way

What about you guys?

Online MirrorMask

Re: You could not pay me enough to...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:47:14 AM »
Throw myself with a parachute.

I would say I have vertigo, but my specific fear is the actual realization that I'm way up, and that I'm going way up. I have no issues standing on the top of a skyscraper on a large terrace, nor being on planes, but I always avoid to watch the plane taking off because I realize I'm leaving the ground and that has an effect on me. Whenever I'm flying I have no issues in following every phase of the landing because I'm returning to the ground, I'm not leaving it.

So I don't think I would ever be able to throw myself with a parachute.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 02:25:09 AM »

I would say I have vertigo, but my specific fear is the actual realization that I'm way up, and that I'm going way up. I have no issues standing on the top of a skyscraper on a large terrace, nor being on planes, but I always avoid to watch the plane taking off because I realize I'm leaving the ground and that has an effect on me. Whenever I'm flying I have no issues in following every phase of the landing because I'm returning to the ground, I'm not leaving it.

But you would be returning to the ground, so technically you could jump.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »
That cave shot is certainly a contender for me.   Wooosh.   I'm actually getting freaked out looking at that picture.

Consciously and with premeditation, kill someone. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »
^ yea, I'd say purposely killing someone would be a top contender for me.  Other things like sky diving and cave exploring would be high for me as well on this list, but there may be some astronomically high dollar amount where I would do it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »
^ yea, I'd say purposely killing someone would be a top contender for me.  Other things like sky diving and cave exploring would be high for me as well on this list, but there may be some astronomically high dollar amount where I would do it.

See, that's me.  Doesn't mean I have to like it, and certainly the parameters are important (do I just have to do it for a second?  A day?  From that point forward?  Is it between us, or is it played on the big screens in Times Square?) but I mean, for $5 billion dollars, you'll get the best 60 seconds of fellatio this non-inquisitive straight man could possibly give.  :)   

Offline emtee

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
Yes the cave thing is a horror scenario for me and then add another layer, underwater cave exploration. My mind envisions a scenario
where I'm down there scrunched into a tiny opening and then there is an earthquake which traps me in that position but doesn't
kill me...and there I lay, unable to move and waiting for death to very slowly arrive. AGGHHHH

The other one is severe height, skyscraper beams for instance, with no security measures. I would freeze from abject fear and never
be able to get down for fear of falling and not being dead when I impact the ground. AGGHHHH

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
I never thought I was claustrophic until I experienced it exploring a cave when I was on a Senior Trip in High school. The passage way was set at an angle so we weren't quite on our bellies crawling flat and we weren't quite standing straight up....we all filed in one by one and someone at the beginning of the line stopped leaving those of us behind him stopped in this slit of cave that wasn't much bigger than what the OP had pictured. I tried to move and kind of push myself up and when the walls and people didn't allow me to I flipped out!! The few people behind me thankfully scurried back to the opening to let me get out but man.....it was such a panic feeling, I'll never forget it. I think had I been able to go at my own pace it'd have been fine but stopping and having no choice but not to move along with the close quarters really got me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cable

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
I think if you paid me enough, I could do anything. Depends on what and how much. My only real fear is insects, so a room full of that would be dreadful. But if the price is right, I'm down.

They say everybody's got a price, but what is something or somethings you would absolutely never do, no matter how much money someone offered you?

For me it would be cave exploring, the kind where the passages are super narrow and it feels like you are getting stuck. I am typically not claustrophic, but knowing that one wrong turn can lead to you getting stuck and dying in some shitty cave in the dark. No way

What about you guys?

My friend's wife does caving, and it's on my list of things to do.
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
I think what people don't realize is that those rocks DO move.  Might be minutely, but they DO move, and when you're in a situation where the difference is breathing or not, it can get pretty hairy. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »

See, that's me.  Doesn't mean I have to like it, and certainly the parameters are important (do I just have to do it for a second?  A day?  From that point forward?  Is it between us, or is it played on the big screens in Times Square?) but I mean, for $5 billion dollars, you'll get the best 60 seconds of fellatio this non-inquisitive straight man could possibly give.  :)

$5B for 60 seconds of fellatio? Damn. Pretty sure I'd suck anyone STD free to completion for like $10K. Easy money.

As for killing someone for a fee, I could do it if it was the right person. If someone was like "here's my brain dead grandma who's been on life support for 6 years. I'll give you $100K to smother her with a pillow", I'd probably do it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
I've done the caving thing before when I was much younger.  No desire to do it now.  There were some tight spots and I did feel somewhat claustrophobic but it was a lot of fun.  But yeah, there is risk involved.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
My first thought, and anyone of my friends could answer this for me, is swimming in open ocean. Fucking Bill Gates could be standing on the boat with me holding a Windows phone, about to transfer $1 billion and his Microsoft stock, and I would still end up crying like a baby as I grip the safety railing for my life! Everything in the ocean has an advantage over us and I want nothing to do with it.

I've also realized recently thanks to injuries that I am indeed claustrophobic. It's more like GMD described, in that it mainly revolves around being stuck. When I was told I had to sit in an "open" MRI (not a tube, but a flat surface that lowers down, essentially a sandwich) for 45 mins. It felt like I was breathing the machine in, and that along with the clicking was throwing my heart rate off. Total panic at about 7 mins.

It came up again about a week later at Universal Studios. On the Mummy ride, after the ride but before the exit, we were stopped in a staging tunnel. The restraints on this ride are a lap bar with a second contoured rubber bar to lock your legs in at the shins. It felt like a Chinese finger trap for my legs, and I started to freak out! I was determined to break the lock on the restraint, but somehow talked myself back onto the ledge when I had already leaped.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »

What about you guys?
Yea Caving is definitely high up on my list. Saw some video on YT on exploring very tight caves and how they breath in and pull in their stomachs to be able to squezze through. I literally couldn't finish watching it, I felt almost sick.

I remember they mentioned about some poor guy that was very experienced that during an expedition explored a new very tight path in some cave and fell headfirst into a tight spot with his legs basically straight up and he couldn't turn around or do anything, he was completely stuck. No one in his team was small enough to go after him and the rescue personel couldn't do anything either, he was left to die.

Found an article about it: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705347362/Man-trapped-in-Utah-Countys-Nutty-Putty-cave-dies.html
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
I think if you paid me enough, I could do anything. Depends on what and how much. My only real fear is insects, so a room full of that would be dreadful. But if the price is right, I'm down.

What about you guys?

My friend's wife does caving, and it's on my list of things to do.

Your friend's wife?  Or caving? 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »

What about you guys?
Yea Caving is definitely high up on my list. Saw some video on YT on exploring very tight caves and how they breath in and pull in their stomachs to be able to squezze through. I literally couldn't finish watching it, I felt almost sick.

I remember they mentioned about some poor guy that was very experienced that during an expedition explored a new very tight path in some cave and fell headfirst into a tight spot with his legs basically straight up and he couldn't turn around or do anything, he was completely stuck. No one in his team was small enough to go after him and the rescue personel couldn't do anything either, he was left to die.

Found an article about it: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705347362/Man-trapped-in-Utah-Countys-Nutty-Putty-cave-dies.html

Damn... left to die.

On a lighter note, try any of James Kingston's YT videos... specifically the two Dubai crane videos.  I fancy myself somewhat of a climber (never anything too technical or anything considered alpine) but HE is a climber.  I was so struck by his YT climbs that I bought his book... my man was afraid of heights!  Talk about facing your fears.  Give me $1M a year guaranteed for life and enough chalk to choke a herd of elephants and I MIGHT try the crane climb.  JK is seriously in a class all his own.

I don't know what I wouldn't do...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »

$5B for 60 seconds of fellatio? Damn. Pretty sure I'd suck anyone STD free to completion for like $10K. Easy money.

As for killing someone for a fee, I could do it if it was the right person. If someone was like "here's my brain dead grandma who's been on life support for 6 years. I'll give you $100K to smother her with a pillow", I'd probably do it.

Everything is negotiable.  I figured if I didn't ask, I wouldn't get it.   :)   

But this is why these questions are so fascinating.  I never even thought of your example.  If it was that person's will, I could do that, and  I don't even know that I would need all that much money.   

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
Bungee jumping. Rollercoasters. I'm just a massive wuss.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
I can't do heights. I can't even stand on a trampoline and look straight up without feeling weak in the knees. Part of the reason I won't get on an airplane. But, I could, if I had to. The one thing I'll never do, no matter how much money you pay me? Tightrope walk. Nope. Never. Not doing it. And I'm talking about legit tightrope walking, like where you'd require a net or a giant inflatable pad in order to make sure you don't die tryin' to get rich.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »
I can't do heights. I can't even stand on a trampoline and look straight up without feeling weak in the knees. Part of the reason I won't get on an airplane. But, I could, if I had to. The one thing I'll never do, no matter how much money you pay me? Tightrope walk. Nope. Never. Not doing it. And I'm talking about legit tightrope walking, like where you'd require a net or a giant inflatable pad in order to make sure you don't die tryin' to get rich.

This dude crossed the grand canyon

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
Nope. Nope nope nope.

The only reason I went up the Eiffel tower was because it was a school trip and none of the teachers wanted to miss out by having to stay at ground level with me (I was 13).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
That's guy's got balls of steel. Never in a million years...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 07:39:10 PM »
The cave thing - no way.  I get mild claustrophobia symptoms just looking at that picture.  If it was a completely controlled environment - i.e. there was no way I'd fall into a hole and be left to die - and I just had to go into an extremely enclosed space for X amount of time and then I'd be rich... maybe I'd try it.  Maybe.  But they'd also have to have a monitors or something on me just in case the panic attack gave me a heart attack.  I never knew I was claustrophobic until I was an adult, even though looking back there were signs from when I was a kid.  I just never really thought about it.

I've also had an "open" MRI and I would hate to see what a closed one looks like.  I eventually got through it by listening to music and keeping my eyes closed, but it was an experience I hope I don't have to repeat. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS6g0_6K8-U

THE DUDE JUST KEPT GOING HIGHER

I think my balls may have receded into my body as I watched that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SeventhDegree

• of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »

What about you guys?

Go to any of my high school class reunions.  I have no hope, desire or intention whatsoever of interacting with a roomful of douchebags who made my life miserable during high school.

One time I did receive an announcement for an upcoming reunion.  There was of course a questionnaire enclosed to mail back to let your classmates know what you've been doing since graduating from high school.  In the 'message to your classmates' section I wrote what the Jeanine Garafalo character in "Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion" had said in the movie:  "...you can all go fuck yourselves for making my teen years a living hell." 

I have not received an announcement since then..."boo-hoo".

"I'm tired of Facebook, tired of my failing health
I'm tired of everyone, and that includes myself."
----------Steven Wilson, 2017

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »

I was thinking of this exact video, but wasn’t sure of the forum rules about posting YouTube links. Now I know. And yes, this. Precisely this. Especially once he got to climbing around those spiky barbs that attract static electricity. Eff that shit.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:26 PM »
I don't think I could ever just take a break like that like he did near the top. I'd be shaking so much, I wouldn't have much of a grip left by the top, even the middle. Having someone right behind me would not make it much better, I'd feel tense and crowded. I don't even want to think about all the variables too, wind, birds, sunlight, and weather in general.

No thank you
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 01:03:15 AM »
Continue to put up with a single person physically, emotionally and financially for the rest of my life.

Carry a leech called a fetus in my body for 9 months.

That cave shit.

Parachutes. Don't trust 'em.

Climb up, around or dog forbid into any kind of volcano, "active" or not.

Play an actual, real game of Russian Roulette.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 01:14:05 AM »
Parachutes, good call. Put me down (as in don't put me down) for skydiving as well. Basically anything involving heights or being upside down

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »
Get acupuncture. I have a fear of needles so having hundreds of them stuck in my pressure points is something that will never happen. Also, I'm claustrophobic so that cave picture is another nope for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 01:32:24 AM »

But you would be returning to the ground, so technically you could jump.

When I'm on the plane about to land, I'm in a closed and secure space. If I'd jump, I'd be completely exposed and that's a no-no for me, even if I'd go towards the ground.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
Image in OP almost gave me panic attack, damn. I start to panic only if my hand or leg get stuck somewhere, I would die of fear there :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »

THE DUDE JUST KEPT GOING HIGHER

I think my balls may have receded into my body as I watched that.

"From here, it's just another 60 feet to the top!'

I literally had balls of sweat on my palms from that.   I can't put into words how hard that was to watch. 

(FYI, my one recurring nightmare - basically the only one I can ever remember having - is me on a staircase, with no walls or railings, up in the middle of the sky.  Picture perfect blue skies, with clouds above, below and around me, and a stiff breeze, and climbing a set of stairs like from an Escher drawing.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
That 'stairway to heaven' antenna climb video terrifies me more than any horror movie I've ever seen...

Also this kind of stuff. There are tons of these videos, but this is every bit as hard to watch. Wouldn't do it for a billion dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgLiEJRFXc8