Author Topic: The Hirsch Effekt Official Thread  (Read 157 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    • My Last.fm Profile......finally
The Hirsch Effekt Official Thread
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
So I can't stop listening to this band at the moment.

Parama should really be writing this as I know he is a bigger fan than I am. He introduced them to me, during my roulette, via the song Cotard and, although I didn't totally love it, I still checked out the album, Holon: Agnosie. I'm so glad I did as the album is so good. My favourite song from this album is probably Athesie (I could only find a live version on youtube) but honestly, it's all great.

They are quite difficult to describe but I'll give it a go. They are a German three piece (who sing in German). Their style can be described as progressive metal/post-rock/post-hardcore/mathcore. They draw influences from bands such as The Dillinger Escape Plan. They mix in classical elements to their music along with a host of other things.

So after hearing their third full length I got their new album, The Eskapist. This will likely end up in my top 5 albums of this year as it is pretty awesome. I don't know where to start with recommending songs off this but possibly something like Xenophotopia.

In the last few days I've downloaded their other full length albums (Holon: Anamnesis and Holon: Hiberno) and after one listen of each I can say that I don't think these guys are able to release a bad album! Holon: Anamnesis was easily my favourite after one listen of each but I can't wait to really digest them. If I had to link one more song of theirs I'd go with Mara. This song stood out on first listen.

Really great band and if you don't mind your progressive metal on the extreme side then I'd definitely say check them out. Are there any other fans here on DTF?

Cue Parama...

Offline Parama

• The Apologist Apologist
  • The Hirsch Effekt Addict
Re: The Hirsch Effekt Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »
maybe the best metal band active today
all of their albums are cohesive as heck but still diverse and engaging & all of them are different

And range from great to fantastic
Still don't think they've put out a 5 star album quite yet though

Oh btw my avatar is from the inner panel of the Anamnesis digipak which is imo their best by just a little bit
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:01:31 PM by Parama »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
Still don't think they've put out a 5 star album quite yet though

Here's hoping...

I'm still too new to their music to decide whether any of their albums are 5 stars for me.

An album has to be pretty special for me to give it a 5 star rating nowadays though. The only two albums I could give a 5 star rating to from the last few years would be Acts IV & V by The Dear Hunter. I can name a shit ton of 4.5's but not many albums are 'perfect' for me anymore. They have to be pretty dang special.

Offline Parama

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »
Yeah the only album I've gotten this year I'd call a 5 star album is Hospice tbh, it's a level of quality rarely reached that makes me wanna listen over and over again

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:40:15 AM »
I wish I liked these guys more. They're like a combination of several bands I like better (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Hypno5e, Protest the Hero). That said, the new album is amazing, way easier to get into since it has less clean vocals and here the clean vocals are less 'emotional' which turned out in a bad way for me on that Cotard album. Xenophotopia is a good introductory song, yes, that was my favourite upon first listen. Groovy as fuck.

Don't know where Eskapist ranks for me so far, but probably around the #8-#13 range, or if I were to use your rating system, 4 stars.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
I wish I liked these guys more. They're like a combination of several bands I like better (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Hypno5e, Protest the Hero). That said, the new album is amazing, way easier to get into since it has less clean vocals and here the clean vocals are less 'emotional' which turned out in a bad way for me on that Cotard album. Xenophotopia is a good introductory song, yes, that was my favourite upon first listen. Groovy as fuck.

Don't know where Eskapist ranks for me so far, but probably around the #8-#13 range, or if I were to use your rating system, 4 stars.

I rank your tastes 3 stars

I know there are plenty of bands that I feel like I should like more than I do but never mind. I'm not too vocal centric with my music, do you think it may have anything to do with them singing in German? I don't mind not having a clue what they are singing about, but some might. I already listen to lots of bands that sing in English that I have no clue what they are singing about  :lol

Also, in regards to similar bands you mentioned, I still haven't listened to any of TDEP (but their latest is on my Spotify playlist, just haven't got to it yet), I've heard you talk about Hypno5e (but not heard a thing) and although I like PtH I don't think they even break my top 50 bands.

My tastes are still 5 star though  :hat :hat :hat

Offline Parama

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:55:29 AM »
hey what the clean vocals are great. shut up train. go listen to your bad hypno5e albums

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
I know there are plenty of bands that I feel like I should like more than I do but never mind. I'm not too vocal centric with my music, do you think it may have anything to do with them singing in German? I don't mind not having a clue what they are singing about, but some might. I already listen to lots of bands that sing in English that I have no clue what they are singing about  :lol
Just clicked my quote and realized I never answered to this. No, them singing in German has nothing to do with it, I understand German. :lol Also I have no clue what BTBAM are singing about but it doesn't keep me from being one of my favourite bands

I've checked out some random samples from the album "Holon: Anamnesis". I still can barely stand the clean vocals on that album but the rest of the musicianship is appealing enough to give it some more spins. Might just top Eskapist, which is just a good progressive metal effort but not as adventurous as what I've heard from Anamnesis. Limerent is one song I checked out and I enjoy it way more than Cotard, so time to give this album a try!

I wish I liked these guys more. They're like a combination of several bands I like better (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Hypno5e, Protest the Hero).
I rank your tastes 3 stars

Also, in regards to similar bands you mentioned, I still haven't listened to any of TDEP (but their latest is on my Spotify playlist, just haven't got to it yet), I've heard you talk about Hypno5e (but not heard a thing) and although I like PtH I don't think they even break my top 50 bands.
Yeah I guess they don't sound a lot like PTH anyway, but man just check out Dillinger and Hypno5e man, you're bound to like both of them. "One Of Us Is The Killer" (new one is good but not as good) and "Shores of the Abstract Line" respectively.

Offline Parama

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
anamnesis is their best album imo yeah.
but also the clean vocals are fantastic and some of the best i've heard in metal  :corn