Author Topic: The Hirsch Effekt Official Thread  (Read 3531 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The Hirsch Effekt Official Thread
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
So I can't stop listening to this band at the moment.

Parama should really be writing this as I know he is a bigger fan than I am. He introduced them to me, during my roulette, via the song Cotard and, although I didn't totally love it, I still checked out the album, Holon: Agnosie. I'm so glad I did as the album is so good. My favourite song from this album is probably Athesie (I could only find a live version on youtube) but honestly, it's all great.

They are quite difficult to describe but I'll give it a go. They are a German three piece (who sing in German). Their style can be described as progressive metal/post-rock/post-hardcore/mathcore. They draw influences from bands such as The Dillinger Escape Plan. They mix in classical elements to their music along with a host of other things.

So after hearing their third full length I got their new album, The Eskapist. This will likely end up in my top 5 albums of this year as it is pretty awesome. I don't know where to start with recommending songs off this but possibly something like Xenophotopia.

In the last few days I've downloaded their other full length albums (Holon: Anamnesis and Holon: Hiberno) and after one listen of each I can say that I don't think these guys are able to release a bad album! Holon: Anamnesis was easily my favourite after one listen of each but I can't wait to really digest them. If I had to link one more song of theirs I'd go with Mara. This song stood out on first listen.

Really great band and if you don't mind your progressive metal on the extreme side then I'd definitely say check them out. Are there any other fans here on DTF?

Cue Parama...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The Hirsch Effekt Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »
maybe the best metal band active today
all of their albums are cohesive as heck but still diverse and engaging & all of them are different

And range from great to fantastic
Still don't think they've put out a 5 star album quite yet though

Oh btw my avatar is from the inner panel of the Anamnesis digipak which is imo their best by just a little bit
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:01:31 PM by Parama »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
Still don't think they've put out a 5 star album quite yet though

Here's hoping...

I'm still too new to their music to decide whether any of their albums are 5 stars for me.

An album has to be pretty special for me to give it a 5 star rating nowadays though. The only two albums I could give a 5 star rating to from the last few years would be Acts IV & V by The Dear Hunter. I can name a shit ton of 4.5's but not many albums are 'perfect' for me anymore. They have to be pretty dang special.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:09:39 PM »
Yeah the only album I've gotten this year I'd call a 5 star album is Hospice tbh, it's a level of quality rarely reached that makes me wanna listen over and over again

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:40:15 AM »
I wish I liked these guys more. They're like a combination of several bands I like better (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Hypno5e, Protest the Hero). That said, the new album is amazing, way easier to get into since it has less clean vocals and here the clean vocals are less 'emotional' which turned out in a bad way for me on that Cotard album. Xenophotopia is a good introductory song, yes, that was my favourite upon first listen. Groovy as fuck.

Don't know where Eskapist ranks for me so far, but probably around the #8-#13 range, or if I were to use your rating system, 4 stars.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
I wish I liked these guys more. They're like a combination of several bands I like better (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Hypno5e, Protest the Hero). That said, the new album is amazing, way easier to get into since it has less clean vocals and here the clean vocals are less 'emotional' which turned out in a bad way for me on that Cotard album. Xenophotopia is a good introductory song, yes, that was my favourite upon first listen. Groovy as fuck.

Don't know where Eskapist ranks for me so far, but probably around the #8-#13 range, or if I were to use your rating system, 4 stars.

I rank your tastes 3 stars

I know there are plenty of bands that I feel like I should like more than I do but never mind. I'm not too vocal centric with my music, do you think it may have anything to do with them singing in German? I don't mind not having a clue what they are singing about, but some might. I already listen to lots of bands that sing in English that I have no clue what they are singing about  :lol

Also, in regards to similar bands you mentioned, I still haven't listened to any of TDEP (but their latest is on my Spotify playlist, just haven't got to it yet), I've heard you talk about Hypno5e (but not heard a thing) and although I like PtH I don't think they even break my top 50 bands.

My tastes are still 5 star though  :hat :hat :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:55:29 AM »
hey what the clean vocals are great. shut up train. go listen to your bad hypno5e albums

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
I know there are plenty of bands that I feel like I should like more than I do but never mind. I'm not too vocal centric with my music, do you think it may have anything to do with them singing in German? I don't mind not having a clue what they are singing about, but some might. I already listen to lots of bands that sing in English that I have no clue what they are singing about  :lol
Just clicked my quote and realized I never answered to this. No, them singing in German has nothing to do with it, I understand German. :lol Also I have no clue what BTBAM are singing about but it doesn't keep me from being one of my favourite bands

I've checked out some random samples from the album "Holon: Anamnesis". I still can barely stand the clean vocals on that album but the rest of the musicianship is appealing enough to give it some more spins. Might just top Eskapist, which is just a good progressive metal effort but not as adventurous as what I've heard from Anamnesis. Limerent is one song I checked out and I enjoy it way more than Cotard, so time to give this album a try!

I wish I liked these guys more. They're like a combination of several bands I like better (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Hypno5e, Protest the Hero).
I rank your tastes 3 stars

Also, in regards to similar bands you mentioned, I still haven't listened to any of TDEP (but their latest is on my Spotify playlist, just haven't got to it yet), I've heard you talk about Hypno5e (but not heard a thing) and although I like PtH I don't think they even break my top 50 bands.
Yeah I guess they don't sound a lot like PTH anyway, but man just check out Dillinger and Hypno5e man, you're bound to like both of them. "One Of Us Is The Killer" (new one is good but not as good) and "Shores of the Abstract Line" respectively.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
anamnesis is their best album imo yeah.
but also the clean vocals are fantastic and some of the best i've heard in metal  :corn

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »
I discovered Eskapist a few weeks ago and couldn't stop listening over and over. I got into them just in time to catch the current tour (which was a great show BTW). Now I'm digesting their back catalogue, Anamnesis is deep.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 12:46:32 AM »
god i wish i could see them live, i dunno if they'll be coming to the US anytime soon though  :lol
also yeah anamnesis is  :heart but eskapist and agnosie are both pretty great too

Offline me7

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »
Now that I have listened to them a lot for a few months, I feel confident to call Anamnesis one of my favourite albums of all time. Few bands manage to execute an emotional rollercoaster of that scope so smoothly. It holds my attention so tightly that I don't notice the 66 minutes passing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
omega bump
did a video on my fave songs from these guys  :tup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJmL4h2r4D8

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 12:25:14 AM »
Don’t really like the new single, there’s a really dub guest spot and overall seems like they went the heavier route for most of the song (I like their heavy side but I’m missing the catchy aspects of the band on this one)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »
didn't even catch there was a new single, woops. gotta check it, like, right now
edit: totally okay with how the song sounds. don't even think it's really that heavy. definitely not as "heavy" a lead single as lifnej. agree that the guest spot feels a bit out of place
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:35:22 AM by Cyril »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 12:57:24 AM »
Yeah but I like heavy, just that here I’m totally missing my of the hooks, Lifnej is one of their catchiest songs ever imo, so many memorable riffs and melodies.

Anyway, they’re coming to Berlin again and they’re bringing Hypno5e with them, I’m so in!

Offline me7

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 06:35:07 AM »
Weird single. Seems like they want to show off their new influences.
Still excited for the album.

Offline me7

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 06:36:57 AM »
After a few spins I fell in love with it. Seeing the video and reading the lyrics helps to understand why this as chosen as a single despite the lack of catchy melodies. Its an deliberatey inconvenient statement regarding environmental politics.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 12:24:58 PM »
How are you guys feeling about the new single "Bilen"? https://open.spotify.com/track/38nZjD60iXEokgOJxmywQ0?si=egXBd376QPGpD12HaiKOgA

I'm digging it, way better than the first single IMO at least. They haven't really done a heavy song as slow-paced as this. I really dig that heavy 'march' kind of tempo, it's definitely in the running for their least technical songs of their catalogue (not very familiar with the debut though) and I'm totally satisfied with seeing that side of the band!

There's a music video for it as well but I strongly advise against that, unless you like ridiculous.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
this is the least interesting side of the band, they don't even sound like the same band here, it sounds like what i've always imagined brokencyde or the like probably sound like lol. maybe it's just because of the awful synths at the start. probably in the running for the worst hirsch effekt song i've ever heard, lovely

Offline me7

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 02:43:35 PM »
Less interesting that Noja for me. I usually enjoy their chamber music influenced songs the most. But I'm confident that it will work well in the flow of the album.

Offline me7

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:25 AM »
New single Torka ist out. Like it a lot. My copy of the album also shipped today, looking forward to hear it next week.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 11:10:04 AM »
some kinda post metal type thing it feels like? i really dunno what they're doing with this one. not that it's bad, it's totally fine, will probably grow on me, but it doesn't really feel even adjacent to their usual sound

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »
I almost feel like they’re going the ‘look we can also write these kind of songs’ route.

That said, pretty good song, better than the first single but not as good as the second for me. Not gonna overplay then and probably just wait until the album comes out now.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 01:41:40 AM »
New single Urian just dropped. Not overly impressed on first listen, but they’ve been on the decline for me since The Eskapist. I’ll certainly check any new album out though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2023, 03:45:27 AM »
yeah, these guys were always so special bcuz their brand of heaviness often relied a lot less on low chugging and more on mid-to-high range stuff and that made them a lot more compelling than their contemporary metalcore/mathcore bands

meanwhile i hear this new song open up with generic metalcore chugging and i just groan

there's definitely some /moments/ in this one that are cool and they sound a lot more invigorated than they did on the last album (how has it been three years tho omg) but i am tempering my expectations

Offline me7

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2023, 08:32:57 AM »
I really enjoy the new album. The single Urian had me a little concerned, but it fits well into the overall album.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2023, 12:55:28 PM »
This might draw the ire of Crow, but I think this new album might be their best. Granted this is only after a couple listens. Once the new car smell wears off we shall see how it ages. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2023, 12:22:17 AM »
I wasn’t too impressed by the singles but the album left a bit of a better impression. I lost interest a bit with the band as Kollaps was pretty much forgettable and Solitaer was only a bit better. It’s probably because I think Agnosie and Eskapist are so damn good, but yea those previous two releases were lacking for me. Urian does seem a bit better but it’ll need a few more listens.