Author Topic: The Stranger (Billy Joel) just turned 40!!  (Read 2017 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Stranger (Billy Joel) just turned 40!!
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »
This wonderful record was released 40 years ago this past Friday (I am 2 days behind, damn it).

I know there are a number of Billy Joel fans here, so I know I am not the only one who loves this record.

1.   "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)"
2.   "The Stranger"   
3.   "Just the Way You Are"   
4.   "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"
5.   "Vienna"   
6.   "Only the Good Die Young"   
7.   "She's Always a Woman"   
8.   "Get It Right the First Time"
9.   "Everybody Has a Dream" (includes a reprise of "The Stranger")

Every song is a winner. What a fantastic record.  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Stranger (Billy Joel) just turned 40!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:29:32 AM »
Don't know every song, but certainly recognize most of them from the radio.

Not a Billy Joel guy at all, but can easily respect and recognize this album as an all time classic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
Great album! At the moment, it's the only one of his I own. Side A in particular is a classic! Favourite songs are Movin' Out and Scenes From An Italian Restaurant.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
Just saw him live last month at Target Field and he put on a hell of a show, Axl Rose even showed up!

This is a great album, top 3 from Billy
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant has to be one of the best "storytelling" songs of the 70s.  What a perfect song. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant has to be one of the best "storytelling" songs of the 70s.  What a perfect song. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
One of the first albums I ever owned, and one of the best albums I own to this day. 

I know everyone gravitates to the hits, but for me, there is such beauty in songs like Vienna (one of my favorite Joel songs) and She's Always A Woman. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »
Huge Billy fan. The Stranger was one of his highlights for sure. I'm a big fan of it, The Nylon Curtain, 52nd Street and Turnstiles. I also have a soft spot for Stormfront.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
Huge Billy fan. The Stranger was one of his highlights for sure. I'm a big fan of it, The Nylon Curtain, 52nd Street and Turnstiles. I also have a soft spot for Stormfront.

As do I:  Leningrad and The Downeaster Alexa are two of his best melodies (and the latter, vocal performance). 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »

As do I:  Leningrad and The Downeaster Alexa are two of his best melodies (and the latter, vocal performance).

Agreed on those two songs. I guess if I had to rank those top-five records from Billy, I'd probably go here:

The Stranger
52nd Street
The Nylon Curtain
Turnstiles
Stormfront

Clearly, he had mega hits that are some of his best songs (Captain Jack, Piano Man, A Matter of Trust, etc.) on other records, but while they are all great, from a record perspective, those five probably get the most play, all-time for me.

This thread brings to mind a few of my Billy stories. I've seen Billy a bunch over the years. The last time was almost a decade ago, but overall, given I'm from Long Island, I've been able to see him (and run into him) several times. Probably six or seven shows, total. The most intimate was this environmental benefit gig on July 22, 2000, at Southampton High School on Long Island.

That's right, he played a high school auditorium. It was one of those "master classes" where he did an extended Q&A and played a bunch of tunes. Talk about a star-studded audience. I roll up with my then-girlfriend, wearing khakis and a polo, figuring this isn't your typical rock concert. My girlfriend had on a nice dress, nothing too fancy. We get out of the car, walk over, and who walks right next to us? Chevy Chase, in a tux.  :lol  MFer!!! LOL. And I look around, I'm not alone, there are some guys that are more biz casual, but a lot of guys in suits. Anyway, I digress, I just at the time didn't like being under-dresssed.

Fast-forward to after the show. Great gig, Billy did the standards, a couple of rarities, and then he had a guest performer do one of his classical pieces. The crowd is milling about, and I spot Christie Brinkley a row or two down from me. And then all the A-listers start popping up. This was 2000, so I didn't have a smartphone that took good pictures or anything. I mean, Chevy, Christie, David Letterman, one of the Baldwins, etc., it was just ridiculous. ha ha ha.

I went over my parents' for dinner the next day, and my mother tells me how before Billy broke big, he used to come to a lot of the parties they used to have in Northport, where my mother was from. (This had to have been the very early 70s, before Cold Spring Harbor came out.) It seemed strange to me, as Billy was mostly a Nassau County guy before he hit it big, but my Mom remembered stuff like it was yesterday. Said he was a real smooth talker (not surprised) and all the ladies loved his hair (of course, that's all gone now - ha ha ha).

The other story -- I have a friend who at the time owned a liquor store in Westhampton Beach (he still is in the business as an owner, but I believe his store is in Rocky Point, for those that know Long Island). Anyway, I would hang with him in the summers and do deliveries for him to make extra cash. Billy popped in one day, ordered a mountain of booze. That wasn't weird, of course, but he didn't live in Westhampton Beach. Apparently he rented a place for the weekend. So my friend and I hauled everything over (cases and cases), and he tipped extremely well. $200...each. Not a bad pay day for what was a half-hour delivery).

Finally, I also remember walking down the street in Greenport one weekend, and Billy was there with his daughter Alexa, who was young at the time. This had to have been in the 90s. They were having ice cream cones. I said hello and waved, and he did the same, and I asked Alexa if the ice cream was good and she smiled big and nodded her head. Billy smiled pretty big, and we all walked off.

A lot is said about superstar musicians, and how they are fake. Billy certainly isn't. He's got his demons, just like anyone, but I'll never forget the smile and genuine way he talked to people out around town.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 09:32:30 AM »
I never have met him, but since I lived on Block Island for a while and my ex-wife was a big boater when I met her, I know people that have run across him, and I have never heard a bad word about him in that way.   Always seems to be that "regular guy" that he projects from stage.

By the way, must listens:
- the fourth "bonus" disk from the deluxe version of his Greatest Hits, where he does a little speech about the impact of the Beatles, and launches into a killer version of "A Hard Day's Night".
- the live version of "Captain Jack" from the Shea Stadium concert.   (That whole concert is killer; I love how he so respectfully gave up the stage to McCartney for obvious practical and historical reasons). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
  Leningrad and The Downeaster Alexa are two of his best melodies (and the latter, vocal performance).

The Downeaster Alexa is the only Joel song I have ever karaoke'd. I can't sing worth a damn, but I love the song and there was a lot of beer that night, so what the hell? :lol

One of the first albums I ever owned, and one of the best albums I own to this day. 

I know everyone gravitates to the hits, but for me, there is such beauty in songs like Vienna (one of my favorite Joel songs) and She's Always A Woman.

Vienna is a lovely tune.  :coolio

I am always surprised Piano Man doesn't get more love.  The title track and Captain Jack both get all of the chatter (and they should, they are awesome songs), but The Ballad of Billy the Kid, Worse Comes to Worst, Travelin' Prayer and You're My Home are all very nice as well.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
I love the Ballad of Billy the Kid. But that, along with Captain Jack and the title track, are the only three that really do it for me on Piano Man as a whole. (Those three are in my top personal top 20.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
Allentown is probably still my favorite song of his; that was near the top of the list of the first favorite songs list I ever did back in '82 (I had my mom take it to work and type it out for me :lol) and remains a song I love to pieces.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
Love Allentown.

Speaking of karaoke, I used to sing Billy Joel a lot in the early 2000s while in law school. Always went over well, from the middle-age crowd to the then-20-somethings like me, down to the younger college crowd using fake IDs to get in. I used to do A Matter of Trust, Big Shot, and Movin' Out quite a bit. Always fun!

This has me trippin' down memory lane. I remember there was this one bar that had both a band and the whole karaoke CD setup. If the band knew the song, they'd play it, and you'd sing. If they didn't, you could do the CD. I used to sit in with them regularly. We'd do a lot of the stuff from the 90s. Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Goo Goo Dolls, and then...Billy. They only knew A Matter of Trust from him, but it worked. So much fun. I don't miss all the work I did back then (anyone in law school can relate, that first year, and into the second, is a bitch), but the good times were always so much fun.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »
My favorite album of his is Songs In The Attic, a live collection of his earlier catalog.  The live versions on this album are infinitely better than the studio originals.  The energy from his live band (who remained with him for many years) is fantastic.  Especially Miami 2017 and The Ballad Of Billy The Kid.  Highly Recommended.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »
My favorite album of his is Songs In The Attic, a live collection of his earlier catalog.  The live versions on this album are infinitely better than the studio originals.  The energy from his live band (who remained with him for many years) is fantastic.  Especially Miami 2017 and The Ballad Of Billy The Kid.  Highly Recommended.

YES. Agreed. Completely.

Anyone here catch the Lords of 52nd Street? It's a couple of the backing bands members from back in the day (Liberty DeVito, Richie Canatta -- may have spelled that wrong, etc.) They are getting some traction as an act on the east coast. Playing all the old songs. I wish Billy would have kept them on, although his current band is great too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
HAHA, it's "Billy Joel's Rainbow" at this point.  Chuck Burgi on drums (from Bent Out Of Shape album and tour and some touring for Stranger In Us All) and David Rosenthal (from Straight Between The Eyes and Bent Out Of Shape albums and tours) are both in his band at this point. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
While I think his 70's output is fantastic (52nd Street especially), his 80's output just blows me away, especially Glass Houses. I Don't Wanna Be Alone and Leave A Tender Moment Alone are two of his best songs that nobody ever talks about.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
I have to admit that I have never dug into the deep tracks of Billy Joel's 80s records.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »
I have to admit that I have never dug into the deep tracks of Billy Joel's 80s records.
The Side 2's of 52nd Street and Glass Houses are pretty awesome.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
Remember albums?  Remember that song, second to last on Side Two of the album that was the oddball track?   That's where Bill Ward sang "It's Alright".   "Beth" was there.   The Keith Richards song was often there.  "Seasons of Wither".   

Billy had some amazing songs like that.  "Until The Night".  "Scandinavian Skies" (one of my favorite Joel songs ever).  "Code of Silence".  "Two Thousand Years". 

Offline DTA

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »

The 80's stuff is just as good as the 70's stuff IMO, if not better overall. I think he got way more experimental stylistically and aped other bands/styles very faithfully. The singles are very poppy from this decade but like others have said, the stuff that isn't well-known is pretty amazing too.

Offline DTA

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 09:20:53 AM »
Remember albums?  Remember that song, second to last on Side Two of the album that was the oddball track?   That's where Bill Ward sang "It's Alright".   "Beth" was there.   The Keith Richards song was often there.  "Seasons of Wither".   

Billy had some amazing songs like that.  "Until The Night".  "Scandinavian Skies" (one of my favorite Joel songs ever).  "Code of Silence".  "Two Thousand Years".

Scandinavian Skies is such a strange song. He was definitely channeling The Beatles on that one (along with most of that album).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
The guy is a legend, he's up there with Springsteen in terms of "Greatest American Artists", in my opinion, and yet... I still think MUSICALLY he's underrated.   I think "An Innocent Man" is one of the top five concept albums of all time (think about it).   His songs are rarely derivative or a pastiche, but he has songs that effectively and with integrity incorporate ragtime, fanfare, baroque classical, country, rock, doo-wop, soul...  He channeled Morricone, Copeland, Debussy, the Beatles, the Newmans (film composers, and Randy's uncles I believe)... 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
The guy is a legend, he's up there with Springsteen in terms of "Greatest American Artists", in my opinion, and yet... I still think MUSICALLY he's underrated.   I think "An Innocent Man" is one of the top five concept albums of all time (think about it).   His songs are rarely derivative or a pastiche, but he has songs that effectively and with integrity incorporate ragtime, fanfare, baroque classical, country, rock, doo-wop, soul...  He channeled Morricone, Copeland, Debussy, the Beatles, the Newmans (film composers, and Randy's uncles I believe)...

Agreed completely. He gets his due as a storyteller and lyric writer for sure. But if you listen closely, he's completely underrated as both a musician and music writer. You're spot-on about what he incorporates into the songs. He does it in such a clever way, however, that the song is still pop, but both simple, and complex. Meaning generally, you hear the simple structure that drives the story along in his words, but complex in that there is a lot of intricate detail into how he put it all together, if that makes sense.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
The Side 2's of 52nd Street and Glass Houses are pretty awesome.

I need to check those out.  Until the Night is the only song I have from Side 2 from either of those records.

The 80's stuff is just as good as the 70's stuff IMO, if not better overall. I think he got way more experimental stylistically and aped other bands/styles very faithfully. The singles are very poppy from this decade but like others have said, the stuff that isn't well-known is pretty amazing too.

I love the "doo-wap" and "old school" vocals on songs like Uptown Girl, Tell Her About It and The Longest Time.  Such fun stuff.

Agreed completely. He gets his due as a storyteller and lyric writer for sure. But if you listen closely, he's completely underrated as both a musician and music writer. You're spot-on about what he incorporates into the songs. He does it in such a clever way, however, that the song is still pop, but both simple, and complex. Meaning generally, you hear the simple structure that drives the story along in his words, but complex in that there is a lot of intricate detail into how he put it all together, if that makes sense.

I agree with both of you.  In his heyday, he really did a great job of bouncing from style to style, while always managing to write great songs, some of which were definitely more clever and intricate than your average "pop" song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »

I love the "doo-wap" and "old school" vocals on songs like Uptown Girl, Tell Her About It and The Longest Time.  Such fun stuff.

No one called me on it, but that record is in my top five concept records of all time.   Every song is a specific and particular homage to a certain style (and in some cases, act) of that era from the 50's and 60's.  "Uptown Girl" is a note-perfect Frankie Valli reference, even down to the falsetto vocals, and it's a credit to Billy that he is able to credibly and with authenticity channel some of the best singers in music history:  Ben E. King.  Smokey ("But dad, it's SMOKEY!") Robinson.  Frankie Valli.  Sam Cooke.  James Brown.  Elvis.   

And the title track is a top five favorite Billy Joel song.   What an unbelievable performance.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »

No one called me on it, but that record is in my top five concept records of all time.   Every song is a specific and particular homage to a certain style (and in some cases, act) of that era from the 50's and 60's.  "Uptown Girl" is a note-perfect Frankie Valli reference, even down to the falsetto vocals, and it's a credit to Billy that he is able to credibly and with authenticity channel some of the best singers in music history:  Ben E. King.  Smokey ("But dad, it's SMOKEY!") Robinson.  Frankie Valli.  Sam Cooke.  James Brown.  Elvis.   

And the title track is a top five favorite Billy Joel song.   What an unbelievable performance.

Couldn't have said it better. Absolutely agree with all of that. And yes, the title track is also a top-5 for me as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »
You guys lost me there a bit. :lol  An Innocent Man is okay, but not a song I have ever really liked that much.

Some deep cuts I listened to last night for the first time:

All for Leyna (I like this one a lot)
I Don't Want to be Alone
Zanzibar (I like this one a ton as well)
Rosalinda's Eyes

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »
You guys lost me there a bit. :lol  An Innocent Man is okay, but not a song I have ever really liked that much.

Some deep cuts I listened to last night for the first time:

All for Leyna (I like this one a lot)
I Don't Want to be Alone
Zanzibar (I like this one a ton as well)
Rosalinda's Eyes
Give C'Etait Toi and Through The Long Night a shot.  They're both beautiful songs (IMO).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
I thought those were both pretty good, but neither stood out. 

If you go to YouTube, there is a 2-3 minute clip for each studio album that shows him talking about each one, and it's funny that he thinks that having two instrumentals was an indication that his songwriting on Streetlife Serenade wasn't up to speed. :lol :lol