Author Topic: Bands which, in this age of streaming, are still automatic physical buys for you  (Read 5151 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Interesting question, for me the only absolutes are DT, IQ, Marillion and Steven Wilson.

I'll buy downloads for anything else, since I always want a non streaming option to cover for spotty coverage when driving, and to support the artist (I'll also buy downloads directly from the artists if possible, or from Bandcamp where a larger percentage goes to the artists than Amazon/Apple or whatever else)

A few exceptions is being part of kickstarter projects, or if the band is touring, then I'll usually buy a physical copy, again to support the artists.

Offline Art

Honestly? None.

I don't buy physical media anymore.

There are some artists that i feel that "need' my purchase more, so if possible i buy their stuff on bandcamp.

Ulver is a good example, i have their discography on bandcamp, because their records are way too expensive here in Brazil (imports only), but they are my favorite band and they are not a rich band.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Good to see someone else appreciating Bandcamp, I've found so much good music through that site.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And by the way, it's "Bands that..."  Not "Bands which..."

No it isn't, because the sentence would still make sense without the clause the relative pronoun ('which' here) connects. "Bands which are still automatic buys for you" is a grammatically perfect sentence, and so 'which' is used.

Bizarre interlude, not sure why you felt the need to make it quite honestly. The entire reason for my making this thread is your apparent dislike of threads being taken off topic.
I felt the need to make it because, like many people, I have an irrational compulsion to comment on those selective pet peeves of mine that give me fits, and one of those is the incorrect use of "which" in place of "that."  And here's a quick tutorial demonstrating why the use of "which" is incorrect here and why you've misstated the rule:  https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/which-versus-that-0  In short, "which" is generally used ONLY for nonrestrictive clauses.  That is not how you used it in your sentence. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Physical buys are few and far between. Most are digital, but I buy physicals of the following:
-Any release with M.P. :hefdaddy
-Dream Theater
-Alter Bridge
-Elton John (not really expecting anything "new")
-Queen (not really expecting anything "new")

Offline Dave_Manchester

And by the way, it's "Bands that..."  Not "Bands which..."

No it isn't, because the sentence would still make sense without the clause the relative pronoun ('which' here) connects. "Bands which are still automatic buys for you" is a grammatically perfect sentence, and so 'which' is used.

Bizarre interlude, not sure why you felt the need to make it quite honestly. The entire reason for my making this thread is your apparent dislike of threads being taken off topic.
I felt the need to make it because, like many people, I have an irrational compulsion to comment on those selective pet peeves of mine that give me fits, and one of those is the incorrect use of "which" in place of "that."  And here's a quick tutorial demonstrating why the use of "which" is incorrect here and why you've misstated the rule:  https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/which-versus-that-0  In short, "which" is generally used ONLY for nonrestrictive clauses.  That is not how you used it in your sentence.

Then good news, it needn't rile you any longer, because as much as I've just enjoyed slowing down to morbidly stare at renowned linguist 'Grammar Girl' (authoritative writer of the link you posted, and who 2 sentences in has already managed to fuck up her preposition use) try to explain her understanding of the language, you are simply wrong on this point. Just wrong. The sentence I wrote was, and is, absolutely perfect. But I'm going to be honest with you, this is the 2nd time I've been here with you, I mean where you have written something which was simply and provably wrong, and in the end I received a not-so-subtle "I'm the mod around here and you're going off topic now" post (which reminds me, if the rule about going off topic now excludes instances of a person having an "irrational compulsion" could you update the rules so it applies to everyone? Thanks). These types of exchanges require a relentless and obsessive energy that I just don't have, so I'll end my part of it with a simple "fuck it, whatever".

Offline emtee

Poetic license.

Done and done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
The sentence I wrote was, and is, absolutely perfect. But I'm going to be honest with you, this is the 2nd time I've been here with you, I mean where you have written something which was simply and provably wrong, and in the end I received a not-so-subtle "I'm the mod around here and you're going off topic now" post.

Well, now that's simply not true.  I've said nothing of the sort in this thread, and wasn't intending to (and I don't know off the top of my head what the other incident is that you are referring to).  But as to whether a specific thread title is grammatically correct or not, I'm not sure how that is off topic. 

As to the rest, not sure why you are taking it so personally, so I apologize for apparently offending you.  Not my intention.  You certainly aren't required to agree with whether or not your sentence is correct, so carry on. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:47:33 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
System of a Down...still waiting though
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline nattmorker

I listen to my music almost only on my computer and phone, so I rarely buy CDs anymore. Nowadays the only physical CDs I buy are Dream Theater and that's it.

On the other hand I still buy a lot of DVDs and BRs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I buy physical CD's of most, if not all, of the established bands I already have. But a few years ago, I've supplemented that with buying Amazon mp3s of newer bands. Saves a lot of money.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
jeff the brotherhood (cuz their vinyl releases are very limited) and father john misty. that's about it. i just don't have the money to buy albums i don't even know are gonna be good.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Cruithne

Automatic:

Anything Devin Townsend related (not more The Hummer / Devlab though).
Anything Ginger Wildheart written (Wildhearts, Hey! Hello!, Mutation, solo, etc...).

Both are smaller artists who've released so much great material and I like to support their careers as much as possible (within reason).

Almost automatic:

Def Leppard - the first band to ever leave my jaw on the floor with how incredible they sounded so many years ago. Also, Hysteria is my second favourite album of all time and despite the special sauce being absent since Clark's death they still deliver consistently good material. Even their worst albums (X and Slang) are solid and have the occasional outstanding moment. Their latest is the best album they've done since Clark died despite Joe's voice being buggered in its upper register.

Iron Maiden - After H left and Bruce was doing that horrible thing with his voice far too often they stopped being an automatic purchase, then they hired Blaze and they became a won't purchase. Since Bruce and H returned (with Bruce now singing properly again) they're back to where they belong on top of the heavy metal world. I can't imagine not buying any future records from here on in, but you never know... I didn't think much of Book Of Souls and Dance Of Death has not aged at all well, Paschendale aside.

Queensryche. They're responsible for my favourite ever record and if they'd just stopped after Empire they would, hands down, be my all time favourite band. Even if you include the three other diluted DeGarmo included albums they'd probably still be my favourite band... Now the rotting root has been removed from the band and we're back to having Wilton properly contributing to songs and sound I'm back to cautious excitement about releases. They'll never be the same as they were when DeGarmo/Wilton/Tate were all contributing properly, though.

Beast In Black (continuation of the first three Battle Beast albums...). I just adore Anton Kabanen's writing. Cheesier than a triple cheese pizza dipped in fondue and I love it. However, I can see a point, eventually, when enough will be enough and I'll end up feeling like I've heard the album already.

Scar Symmetry. They're a listen-as-I-work kind of band more than one that regularly demands my attention and as such there's a surprising number of songs I can't really remember if I look at the track listings as it all rather blends into one. Whilst an album is playing then I do enjoy it... bit weird.

Ayreon/Star One. I've not yet not bought an Ayreon album, but they're getting pretty ponderous and fairly samey now. Still, there was enough to like about The Source that I bought it anyway. The two Star One albums are ace and I prefer that side of Arjen's writing and would love him to do another, though it seems like he might've fallen out with Russell Allen again so either it won't happen or he'll have to get in someone else to do those parts (Jorn Lande maybe?).

Mastodon. I didn't like The Hunter nor Once More Round The Sun very much but Emperor Of Sand is marvellous and I've got all the studio albums so far. They're almost one of those bands I want to like more than I really do.

Would be automatic if the possibility of new releases existed...:

Type O Negative.
Rush (well, until they make an official "Peart has retired" statement I guess it's never say never territory but it looks extremely unlikely now).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:15:04 AM by Cruithne »

Offline Peter Mc

Still buy everything on cd if it's available. Not a music streamer or downloader unless there is no other way of getting it.

I will admit to very occasionally streaming something I haven't heard to see if I like it but I will then buy the cd if I like it.  To be honest though I usually just take the gamble as you can't always be sure based upon one listen.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Honestly? None.

I don't buy physical media anymore.

There are some artists that i feel that "need' my purchase more, so if possible i buy their stuff on bandcamp.

Ulver is a good example, i have their discography on bandcamp, because their records are way too expensive here in Brazil (imports only), but they are my favorite band and they are not a rich band.

Yea, I'm with you on this. I feel there are so many amazing bands that are so underrated and therefore more deserving of my money. I want to help support bands so that they can continue to put out music and I can hopefully see them live. Like, The Dear Hunter are so massively underrated as far as I'm concerned and it's financially difficult for them to tour over here in the UK. I will give them as much of my money as I can in the hope it will help them tour more over here. I could mention loads of bands that I feel more deserving of success, these are the ones I buy on Bandcamp  :tup

Edit: Just to be clear, I meant I'm with you in that I buy a fair bit digitally on Bandcamp. I do actually still buy some albums in physical form. I think the only ones I've bought this year are:

Crippled Black Phoenix - Bronze
Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
The King Blues - The Gospel Truth
Leprous - Malina
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:33:52 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Iron Maiden and Dream Theater is pretty much it, my two favorite bands.  I'll buy a physical copy here and there if I feel like I really really want to support the band or it's unique (I pre-ordered an Anneke signed copy of VUUR's debut album for example) but I'm pretty much a digital download only guy.  Not a fan of streaming just because I like to have access to my music without relying on something else (data/wifi signal or service). 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Dream Theater and Steel Panther. Sadly, that's it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
I pretty much buy everything in CD format still for a variety of reasons:

1) Artists get less than shit from streaming services and while CD's may net the artists with only slightly less than shit in terms of compensation, I feel the difference is worth it.

2) Digital releases, especially of the music I often buy, doesn't differ too much in price from the physical version rendering the whole savings aspect moot.

3) Aside from Bandcamp, you're generally locked into a limited number of formats for digital releases, usually only mp3. Since I'm a snob and an asshole, I rip most of my music to .flac largely for archival purposes and nascent feelings of superiority over the common man.

4) I like having a physical product and I still listen to CD's in my car. Honestly, if vinyl was a more portable format, I'd probably just switch to that just because it's so superior to CD's on the physical and art side. But since I don't have the room and nothing to play them on, it'd be purely an aesthetic purchase and I haven't quite gone down that rabbit hole yet.

Honestly, digital is a perfectly fine format, I've purchased digital-only albums before, but I still prefer a physical release.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
There's a lot of it, because I'm a typical guy who likes to have all discography on physical format... From well known bands it would be definitly Dream Theater, Helloween, Europe, lots of Polish rock/metal bands like KAT, Decapitated, Vader etc... Riverside, Annihilator... I could name a very long list of those bands which I buy new releases without streaming their new music.

Offline majo

None since cca 6doit
Buying digital only and preferably directly from the artist (if possible). Tempted during the shows though but usually ended up with some other "physical" merchandise (cups, t-shirts, etc.)
Reasons are purely technical - space and usage related  ;D
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Question for the people who buy albums without hearing anything beforehand: Did you love all previous albums from those bands? Do you still buy "sight unseen" if the band has put out a couple "bad" albums?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Depends on the band; I will buy a Genesis record unheard at this point. Deep Purple and Kiss as well.  Aerosmith (even though I haven't like their last couple).   At this point, Marillion is not an immediate buy; I haven't really liked much since Marbles (though the new one is good).   Yes is not an immediate buy; without Chris I have my doubts.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Depends on the band; I will buy a Genesis record unheard at this point. Deep Purple and Kiss as well.  Aerosmith (even though I haven't like their last couple).   At this point, Marillion is not an immediate buy; I haven't really liked much since Marbles (though the new one is good).   Yes is not an immediate buy; without Chris I have my doubts.

As much as I love certain bands, I just don't have that much faith in them to buy an album without checking it out first. Call me crazy. Call me a pervert  :huh:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Question for the people who buy albums without hearing anything beforehand: Did you love all previous albums from those bands? Do you still buy "sight unseen" if the band has put out a couple "bad" albums?

Looking over my list of bands, there are a few that were big missteps for me, but I'm (cautiously) still going to immediately purchase or pre-order their future material. Kamelot's last two albums have been utter duds to me, in fact I didn't purchase Haven until I was at the venue to see them play for that tour. I can't say I enjoy it either, but it was an improvement from Silverthorn, so I'm sticking with them. Sonata Arctica's last album was such a massive disappointment I considered it for a while, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since I love everything else. Helloween's last album was so damn bad (and the one before wasn't that hot) I'm cautiously investing in the next album but if it's a bomb then I'm bumping them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

For me, none of the bands on my list have put out a single bad album.  There are bands that used to be on the list and dropped off - usually not because an album was bad, but because I only very rarely play cds anyway, and I don't feel a strong need to have the physical product.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs

For me, none of the bands on my list have put out a single bad album.  There are bands that used to be on the list and dropped off - usually not because an album was bad, but because I only very rarely play cds anyway, and I don't feel a strong need to have the physical product.

I always buy something (eventually) if it's good but I only buy the downloadable versions these days. No space for a bunch of CD cases.

Offline Lethean

I always buy something (eventually) if it's good but I only buy the downloadable versions these days. No space for a bunch of CD cases.

That's me as well, for most things.  If I hear something before I buy it, which is most of the time, and I like it, then I'll buy it on mp3.   If it's a band I already know and like, I might even buy the mp3s blind, but usually I listen first just because it's available.  There are some bands however that I still want a physical copy, to look at the artwork, read the liner notes, etc.  In those cases, I generally don't want to hear it ahead of time - I want that first listen to be with the liner notes, lyrics, and artwork.  With those bands I'm really not worried about not liking the album; I might not like it as much as others in that band's catalog, but I usually do like it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Remember too, when you just "stream" or download, you're at the mercy of the owner.  For example, I have two versions Whitesnake's Slide It In, I have four versions of Rainbow Rising, three versions of Bark At The Moon, two of Diary and Blizzard... I want to control the ones I listen to.   I don't want to have to be stuck with the Trujillo/Bordin Ozzy if I don't want to.

That's if you able to even find the origin or source....

Offline dparrott

Blur, Warpaint and DT
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I just bought 5 more albums today. I love scouring discogs for people getting rid of music on the cheap. 5 albums for $20, hell yes  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've seen the term "support the artist" a couple of times in this thread. Personally, I feel no obligation to "support the artist". Where or how I buy my music will be at my convenience, and I frankly don't care what percentage the band gets. I would also never prefund a band before they record an album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
I've seen the term "support the artist" a couple of times in this thread. Personally, I feel no obligation to "support the artist". Where or how I buy my music will be at my convenience, and I frankly don't care what percentage the band gets. I would also never prefund a band before they record an album.

I don't have  the same inclination to support all artist... some do pretty well for themselves but a lot of the bands I listen to do not.

Take IQ for instance. A group that has been going now for over 3t years yet can't support themselves on their music. All of them have dayjobs which is why they do not tour so much. Yet when I will see them now on friday they will have a full media show with three large screen.... they are not saving on their presentation so I think for my own sake it's good to support them anyway I can.

Another example is Pain of Salvation. Daniel Gildenlöw can support himself with music but the others have dayjobs and even have to quit their job to go on tour. There is a great documentary about them here (first season is up and second season is coming ).... this should almost be required watching

https://mapenzifilm.se/0-prologue-2/

Online MirrorMask

I've seen the term "support the artist" a couple of times in this thread. Personally, I feel no obligation to "support the artist". Where or how I buy my music will be at my convenience, and I frankly don't care what percentage the band gets.

Well, it depends case by case. There's an italian band, Elvenking, big enough to be a professional band, but not so big to the point that they can live off their music; they're not really local but I've met them enough times to call them, if not friends, acquiantaces... maybe the term "friend" is exagerated but when we meet, it's not an "Hi, I'm your fan" situation, more a "Hey dude what's up"; last time they had an album out I could have bought it in a store or online, but I made a point to buy it at one of their shows so that 100% of the money would go directly to them.

With local bands I know, whenever possible, I always do this, the price for me is the same but if they gan a little more from a direct purchase why not do it?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, obviously, I think it's different if it's a local band.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, obviously, I think it's different if it's a local band.

But would you then consider for instance Pain of Salvation a local band?