Author Topic: What to do with Puerto Rico?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
What to do with Puerto Rico?
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:28:56 AM »
Trump said in a Tweet this morning the following;

"...The fact is that Puerto Rico has been destroyed by two hurricanes. Big decisions will have to be made as to the cost of its rebuilding!"

Naturally, everyone is up in arms about it. Now I'm no fan of Trump, but is this really a bad thing? First off, as usual, no one knows what he's referring to without specifics. Secondly, if the frequency and the intensity of these storms continues to increase as time goes on, this is a very serious discussion that needs to be had.

Puerto Rico is going to cost a fortune to rebuild. A guy on NPR was saying upwards of $25B just to get infrastructure back to where it was and to get a semi-modern electrical grid up and running. What's the big decision Trump is talking about? Do we rebuild as it was and go on? Do we make the call to spend an obscene amount of money to basically bomb proof Puerto Rico so when storms like this happen in the future we don't have a situation like this? Do we write off the land mass and decide that relocating the entire population to the continental US would be cheaper in the long run than having a situation like this every decade or two?

What do we do here?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:31:56 AM by Chino »

Offline XeRocks81

Re: What to do with Puerto Rico?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »
Puerto Rico should have become an official state for ages, seems like the right time to me. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »
Puerto Rico should have become an official state for ages, seems like the right time to me.

I'd start with that then set a challenge to every 'green' company out there to use Puerto Rico as ground zero for next generation infrastructure...a proving ground so to speak. Give these companies a 'tax break' or some other incentive to rebuild the electrical infrastructure, the water purification, better design housing and buildings....etc. etc.

The country is literally a clean slate and to rebuild it with 'old' tech and methods would just be dumb. Bring these front line companies into the mix....literally call them out and challenge them to step up and tell them this is their time and then do it. They'd have plenty of available labor which would also help those families get a guaranteed income.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:18:07 AM »
Puerto Rico will never become a state. As soon as it does the democrats get 2 senators and 4 or 5 house seats and electoral votes. It'll never be allowed.

That said, I like GMD's proposal. Make it a test bed for newer, greener tech.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »

I'd start with that then set a challenge to every 'green' company out there to use Puerto Rico as ground zero for next generation infrastructure...a proving ground so to speak. Give these companies a 'tax break' or some other incentive to rebuild the electrical infrastructure, the water purification, better design housing and buildings....etc. etc.

The country is literally a clean slate and to rebuild it with 'old' tech and methods would just be dumb. Bring these front line companies into the mix....literally call them out and challenge them to step up and tell them this is their time and then do it. They'd have plenty of available labor which would also help those families get a guaranteed income.

If there was ever a good chance to do this, now's the time. I'm sure Musk would be up to the challenge. He's in Australia as I type this, overseeing the construction of the world's largest lithium ion battery plant (in conjunction with Neoen, a wind farm company). It's a $50M system and he told Australia that he'd build it in 100 days or less or it's free. It stores enough wind energy to power 30,000 homes.

Edit:

Just came across this.

http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ships-powerwall-puerto-rico-restore-power/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=elonquotes

As relief efforts continue to take place in Puerto Rico after a Category 4 storm, Hurricane Maria, caused widespread devastation and created an island-wide black out, California-based Tesla is shipping hundreds of Powerwall battery systems to the unincorporated U.S. territory and restoring electricity to some 3.5 million residents left without power. Teslaís Powerwall battery system, first introduced in 2015, is designed to be a residential stationary energy storage unit that can be charged through solar panels.

Tesla continues to send shipments of Powerwall systems into the region and working with local organizations on restoring electrical power back to the island. Tesla employees are currently on site and working on pairing its Powerwall battery systems to solar panels. A Tesla spokesperson has confirmed that the company continues to ship Powerwall systems into the storm-ravaged island thatís located 1,000 miles south east of Florida.

In addition to sending hundreds of Powerwall systems into Puerto Rico, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has personally donated $250,000 to aid in relief efforts, according to Fortune.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:49:05 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
I think to some degree GMD has what the "decision" is.   Do we just send money and let them figure it out, as the territory they are (note: they're not a state now because they DON'T WANT to be a state; they vote on this every couple years) or do we put it in the hands of those that have invested in that island.

When I was at GE, my business (only one of 14 at the time, and not very big, about $4B) had between 8 and 12 plants on the island (8 active, 4 in some state of downsizing; we sold one while I was there).  Pharmaceuticals are big on the island as well.  They are not going to be able to stay if there is no electricity and/or infrastructure with which to run their business.  But GE for example:  let them come in and implement their power grid technology, and maybe it can be a 'win-win' for all. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »

Can you elaborate on your thinking? Not trolling, genuinely curious, as I've never heard a good argument in favor of this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »

Can you elaborate on your thinking? Not trolling, genuinely curious, as I've never heard a good argument in favor of this.

It wasn't a well thought out reaction.   They don't have to become a state, Puerto Ricans ARE american citizens by default right?  It was TRump hemming and hawing about them owing money that pissed me off. 

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
Why does any territory become a state? On the PR side it'd give them actual representation and access to various state granted benefits. As for US benefit, we'd be taking in a tax-paying population the size of Connecticut.

I think to some degree GMD has what the "decision" is.   Do we just send money and let them figure it out, as the territory they are (note: they're not a state now because they DON'T WANT to be a state; they vote on this every couple years) or do we put it in the hands of those that have invested in that island.
The last two referendums, though flawed, said the opposite. In 2012 62% voted against the status quo, with 52% preferring statehood. The 2017 plebiscite was overwhelmingly in favor of statehood, but was boycotted by the anti-statehood movement.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
At the very least they should be upgraded to an Incorporated Territory.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
Alternatively, why doesn't PR become it's own sovereign country? Not trolling. Genuinely curious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
Alternatively, why doesn't PR become it's own sovereign country? Not trolling. Genuinely curious.

I mean, we're a cool subforum and all, but I don't think Yesh wants to run his own country.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
It's my understanding that they have had several attempts to do so over the decades.... The US and/or UN has shut it down every time. 

I think the FBI even took out the leader of an independence uprising. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
Puerto Rico has been our territory for 119 years. It's not like this is a recent change of events. The better question is, "How come every time Puerto Rico makes the news Americans (and now our leaders themselves) are surprised that our government has a responsibility towards them?"

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
It's my understanding that they have had several attempts to do so over the decades.... The US and/or UN has shut it down every time. 

I think the FBI even took out the leader of an independence uprising.
It comes up often enough, and US presidents will occasionally raise the issue. One of the Bushes was a proponant, as I recall. In the past the PR's haven't been all that hot on the idea, but their stance is changing. And after last week, it'll change even more. Rather than shutting it down, I think politicians just decide "well if they don't care why should we" and move on to all their other acts of shitbaggery.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
Do people in Puerto Rico consider themselves American, or Puerto Rican?

Re-read Chinos first post, and it is thought-provoking. If there are places that keep getting devastated by storms, Do we spend the money to build a dome around it, or decide that maybe people shouldn't be living there, especially in places where the infrastructure is already sub-par at best.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
Ask people in Texas if they consider themselves Texans. Or Hawaiians. Or Alaskans.

I'm not sure I follow the relevance.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
I guess what you do with Puerto Rico is attack and insult the Mayor when they beg for help.

Stay classy Donald.
Can you imagine some alien race comes to a large nebula they've never seen before, and it just turns out it's the Federation's dumping ground for space-smile?
And TAC can suck it  :biggrin:, this is heavy in all the right places.  :tup

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
Ask people in Texas if they consider themselves Texans. Or Hawaiians. Or Alaskans.

Yeah, obviously I consider myself a Texan and an American. Not sure which would come first, but it never seems to matter. I recall that when traveling abroad my answer to "where are you from" was always Texas, rather than America.

However, in PR, they're only somewhat American. They have a peculiar status. I doubt the concept of being American really factors in much more than a Canadian or Aussie would consider himself British.
E.F. Benson

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »

Yeah, obviously I consider myself a Texan and an American. Not sure which would come first, but it never seems to matter. I recall that when traveling abroad my answer to "where are you from" was always Texas, rather than America.

However, in PR, they're only somewhat American. They have a peculiar status. I doubt the concept of being American really factors in much more than a Canadian or Aussie would consider himself British.

In Canada it's safe to say we don't consider ourselves british at all(being from Quebec and of french descent even less so), even though technically we are british subjects.  I guess the difference is the UK would never need to send ressources our way in case of natural disasters.   Only if we were under attack by a foreign power I suppose. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:56:52 AM by XeRocks81 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »

Love this.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline TL

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 08:15:05 PM »

Puerto Ricans are definitely much more American than Canadians or Australians are British (and I'm not just saying that because I'm Acadian (french Canadian)).

For one, residents of Puerto Rico are American citizens. Canadians are not UK citizens, and our ties to the UK are superficial and ceremonial at most. We have our own currency and a federal government. Puerto Rico uses the US dollar and has a (non-voting) member of US congress. Puerto Rico has more American citizens than 21 US states.
They also gave the world Jennifer Lopez, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and a current justice of the US Supreme Court, Sonia Sotomayor.

That ... actually seems like a decent idea. If done properly such a thing could be a real win-win.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »

Love the idea. For some reason I thought of Jurassic Park when I read this.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Puerto Rico was already in a state of economic collapse. Honestly, from a long term perspective this may have been the best thing to happen to Puerto Rico. Kind of like getting hit by a hailstorm when you already needed a new roof.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

Almost always "Puerto Rican", in my experience.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
Puerto Rico has been our territory for 119 years. It's not like this is a recent change of events. The better question is, "How come every time Puerto Rico makes the news Americans (and now our leaders themselves) are surprised that our government has a responsibility towards them?"

Funny, when I was at GE, we had 12 facilities on the island, and that was just my business (a relatively small one out of 12 or 14 at the time).    And my boss and I used to have to correct people all the time from making dumb jokes like assuming the currency was "pesos".    It was borderline offensive how little people knew - and these were people that SHOULD know - and as some of you know I do not offend easily (or feel that most offenses are realistic). 

Offline TL

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »

I will say, being Canadian, many Canadians, while proud of their country, do identify with their province first. A lot of Atlantic Canadians identify as such first (especially Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians), and then Canadian. A large number of Quebecois definitely identify provincially before federally. I've found that a lot of Albertans do this as well. And so on.

I do feel like there's a bit of that in the US too. People considering themselves Texan first and American second, or Alaskan first and American second, or New Yorker first and American second, or Californian first, and American second, and so on.

Then, Canadian nationalism does seem to be more open to multiple "nationalistic" identities than American nationalism. I'm welcome to be corrected on that by Americans in this thread if they feel I'm wrong about that though.

Edit: After re-reading some posts, I think I may have misinterpreted your meaning on that particular post, Stadler (though even then I took it more as 'matter of fact' than anything else). I will say, I don't think you meant anything negative by it. I am going to leave the rest of my post as is, because I still feel it's relevant. Just thought I'd add some context.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:34 PM »

Yup, pretty much every one I've worked with here and in Atlanta identified as Puerto Rican first, even the four or five I currently work with, including my direct boss(whom has a sister in PR that he still hasn't heard from).

I usually identify as an American before Californian.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
But whatever they identify as first or second, they ARE american citizens and as such I think the federal gov has certain responsabilities towards all its citizens in cases of natural disasters.  I don't know if it's spelled out as such in any law but that's usually how it works doesn't it?

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 06:15:49 AM »
Agree 100%

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

I will say, being Canadian, many Canadians, while proud of their country, do identify with their province first. A lot of Atlantic Canadians identify as such first (especially Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians), and then Canadian. A large number of Quebecois definitely identify provincially before federally. I've found that a lot of Albertans do this as well. And so on.

I do feel like there's a bit of that in the US too. People considering themselves Texan first and American second, or Alaskan first and American second, or New Yorker first and American second, or Californian first, and American second, and so on.

Then, Canadian nationalism does seem to be more open to multiple "nationalistic" identities than American nationalism. I'm welcome to be corrected on that by Americans in this thread if they feel I'm wrong about that though.

Edit: After re-reading some posts, I think I may have misinterpreted your meaning on that particular post, Stadler (though even then I took it more as 'matter of fact' than anything else). I will say, I don't think you meant anything negative by it. I am going to leave the rest of my post as is, because I still feel it's relevant. Just thought I'd add some context.

I'm not sure what was negative.  I WAS "matter of fact", but in a positive way.  The Puerto Rican people I know (and I mean this collectively; I'm not referring to any one person) are an incredibly smart, hard-working and most important (to this conversation) proud people.  I don't think it negative at all to say that they are proud of their island, and their community and their culture.   

As for the U.S. thing, I think it may be a function of region, too.  It's easy to say "Texan", because it's the second largest state in the Union, and it encompasses a culture of its own.   You don't get a lot of "Rhode Island and goddamn proud of it!".  You DO get a lot of "New Englander, and goddamn proud of it!"  There IS a stereotype of the typical New Englander, but if you're in the northeastern Massachusetts area, you can literally drive an hour in any direction and find yourself in any of five other states, and not see a noticeable difference in culture. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if someone polled Hawaii and found out that the majority of those people refer to themselves as "Hawaiian" rather than "American".

There IS a stereotype of the typical New Englander, but if you're in the northeastern Massachusetts area, you can literally drive an hour in any direction and find yourself in any of five other states, and not see a noticeable difference in culture

For real. People start getting a little odd about halfway up through Maine, and then crossing the NY border can be like entering another country depending on where you cross.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:52:44 AM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
National vs regional identity comes down to whether or not there's a unique culture. I suspect New Yorkers feel that way. I know Texans feel that way. Alaskans and Hawaiians certainly would. To a lesser extent Southerners in general feel distinct. In this case, Puerto Ricans would and should identify as such.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »
Yup. We natives are known by what the others called our tribe. We as Native peoples of the Americas all have our own names we know ourselves as. Some are barely changing it legally to what that Tribe describes where their from.

I'm not an American, we were forced/born into being that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
The point I was trying to make is that do we really feel compelled to make PR a state of the union if its residents feel more closely aligned with being Puerto Rican than American? As everyone is noted, we already have all these factions of cultures across the nation, which does more to divide us than unite us.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
The point I was trying to make is that do we really feel compelled to make PR a state of the union if its residents feel more closely aligned with being Puerto Rican than American? As everyone is noted, we already have all these factions of cultures across the nation, which does more to divide us than unite us.

Let me tell you something. They have been there since the migration of our people, Way before the Europeans came.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh