Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 37653 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS
« Reply #525 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
While I love that Nightwish song, it is very early Nightwish, and there's a lot more in their discography you'd appreciate for sure, Stads. Shame that one didn't click with you.

Isn't that from Century Child? Fourth album out of eight isn't very early in my book.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #526 on: December 04, 2017, 09:43:10 AM »
It's weird; not to overstate it, but I'm a pretty self-reflective guy, and even so, this roulette taught me something about myself, and about music in general.  Some of it is pretty arbitrary.   I obviously value a good singer; but I like Motorhead.   There isn't a ton of difference between the guy from Headspace and the guy from Echolyn.  Yet, the Echolyn song resonated like a tuning fork with me.  I like symphonic, operatic stuff, but the Nightwish thing didn't click AT. ALL.   I totally get if some of you think there's no rhyme or reason, but I promise you I put in the time, and tried very hard to balance the objective with the subjective.  I didn't take anything on first listen (which, I believe, is why there isn't a ton of spread in the scores; I was able to find something to connect with in almost every song, even if certain songs separated themselves from the pack). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #527 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
While I love that Nightwish song, it is very early Nightwish, and there's a lot more in their discography you'd appreciate for sure, Stads. Shame that one didn't click with you.

Isn't that from Century Child? Fourth album out of eight isn't very early in my book.

That's true, but at the same time it's only 5 years after their debut (and now 15 years ago). I see where you're coming from, though, that's just how I view it. Especially since the band really isn't the same band it was back on CC.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #528 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
Thanks Stadler.  I had a great time playing. That Echolyn album has so much substance.  You'd love the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #529 on: December 04, 2017, 09:57:25 AM »
Eh, I can live with that. If you want something more "Yes" out of Headspace check out the first song, Road to Supremacy, on their second album, that just reeks Yes. And I totally hear ya about musical taste, it's really just up to what clicks, I just roll with what I like.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #530 on: December 04, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
I gotta say that Fates may be many things, but I don't think derivative is usually one of them. Especially not later FW.  I don't get the Blaze Bailey comparison at all. I actually like what I've heard of him just fine, but Ray Alder is one of my favorite singers. And he was doing his thing with FW before Blaze joined Maiden.

As for recognition - none of the bands I sent you get much recognition. (Besides Judas Priest, but I only sent them because of the HoF thing).  Fates actually gets more than some of the bands I sent. They all play in really small venues and that's just the way it is. I don't think it has much to do with who deserves what.  Progressive metal just isn't that popular.  DT seems like the hardest working of the bunch - they certainly tour more - but they kinda got lucky with Pull Me Under and they've said as much. I suppose you could argue that they deserve their success because they wrote a radio hit and the others didn't, but I don't really think that way.  I certainly do think they deserve their success, and many bands have been influenced and inspired by them, but Fates was doing their own thing before DT. (As MP acknowledged many times).

If you didn't like the song - totally cool. That happens.  But you liking it or not really has nothing to do with the level of success they've had. You liked the Threshold track, and they have wayyy less recognition than FW. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #531 on: December 04, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
It's weird; not to overstate it, but I'm a pretty self-reflective guy, and even so, this roulette taught me something about myself, and about music in general.  Some of it is pretty arbitrary.   I obviously value a good singer; but I like Motorhead.   There isn't a ton of difference between the guy from Headspace and the guy from Echolyn.  Yet, the Echolyn song resonated like a tuning fork with me.  I like symphonic, operatic stuff, but the Nightwish thing didn't click AT. ALL.   I totally get if some of you think there's no rhyme or reason, but I promise you I put in the time, and tried very hard to balance the objective with the subjective.  I didn't take anything on first listen (which, I believe, is why there isn't a ton of spread in the scores; I was able to find something to connect with in almost every song, even if certain songs separated themselves from the pack).

I think that's totally normal. If I were to do a roulette, I'm sure it would be the same.  Someone would be bound to think "well you like A, B, and C, how could you not like D?" There are bands that have all the ingredients on paper of what I should like, but I just don't.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #532 on: December 04, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »

When I sat down with all the Fates Warnings albums a couple months ago, I fell in love with those two songs. Not as much as when I went through Rush, but I think Fates is a fairly underappreciated band, at least as far as I know them and all my metalhead friends. But, I also love the longer songs, FW does them very well for my tastes.

What's up with your name?  I'm just going back to Firewings. :) Maybe sometimes FW for short, then you'll get confused and think I'm talking about Fates Warning. :)  Light and Shade was one of my favorite songs of 2016.

If the Nightwish track is Tarja era, that's a tough sell. I was never able to get into her voice (and can't stand it when she sings Angra songs), but I know a lot of people love it. I think Floor Jansen is the best of the three.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »

When I sat down with all the Fates Warnings albums a couple months ago, I fell in love with those two songs. Not as much as when I went through Rush, but I think Fates is a fairly underappreciated band, at least as far as I know them and all my metalhead friends. But, I also love the longer songs, FW does them very well for my tastes.

What's up with your name?  I'm just going back to Firewings. :) Maybe sometimes FW for short, then you'll get confused and think I'm talking about Fates Warning. :)  Light and Shade was one of my favorite songs of 2016.

If the Nightwish track is Tarja era, that's a tough sell. I was never able to get into her voice (and can't stand it when she sings Angra songs), but I know a lot of people love it. I think Floor Jansen is the best of the three.

I volunteered to be the 'toe' to complement Tick and TAC and got a name change I did not fully expect to occur  :lol And yeah, it's Tarja era. Which is more confusing because their debut has 'Beauty AND the Beast.'
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #534 on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
I was on the fence whether to send Ghosts of Home or The Light and Shade of Things. Looks like it wouldn't have mattered.
Just curious, who do you think Fates Warning is derivative of?
Also, have you delved any further into the Devin Townsend catalog yet? If so, what do you think?
Glad you liked a few of the songs I sent. This was fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: December 04, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »
I'll write more on FW in a minute, but the short answer:  I have "By A Thread" in transit to the house, so I'm starting there.   I looked into "Contain Us" but held off because I wasn't sure if it was better to buy the albums individually or as the group.   I know I want to get Epicloud and Transcendence (I've heard, I think, three songs from the latter and liked them very much).   

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #536 on: December 04, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Definitely don't get deconstruction
Probably do get ocean machine

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #537 on: December 04, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
TAC:  Michael Kiske – “Do I Remember A Life?”:   Huh.  Helloween.  I remember a video that looked almost like an early Maiden performance video, and it was so over the top it was like watching a heavy metal “Steel Panther” without the scat humor.   Piercing, clichéd, “Jim Gillette Metal Method” vocals and generic riffage (to be fair, that was decades ago, and the only time I’ve listened to them).    But this… song of the round.   This was KILLER.  I loved the atmosphere and the smoothness in his voice as he elevated the song.   This really connected with me, and I’d like to hear more from this album (assuming it’s more in this vein and not the over-the-top, Priest on steroids cartoonery of the Helloween I know.  9

Glad you liked that. But while 80's Helloween may not be your thing, they are pretty much responsible for a lot of what is going on today in Power Metal. In many ways, they laid the blue print.
Stadler, Kiske joined them for 1987's Keeper Of The Seven Keys Pt1, which was actually their second album. The crazy thing about it is that Michael Kiske is one year YOUNGER than YOU! He recorded those Keepers albums as an f'n teenager! I remember buying Keeper Pt.1, and I put the tape in after leaving the record store. I'm Alive started and I literally pulled over into a nearby park and just sat in my car and listened to the entire album. I literally could not move!

Here's a pic of a 19 y/o TAC and a 19 y/o Kiske!
Taken 9/24/87 in downtown Providence

Anyway, this track is from his first solo album, 1996's Instant Clarity. What's cool is that Adrian Smith plays on 3 tracks, two of which he is joined by Kai Hansen (Helloween's guitarist, who left a couple of years before Kiske). This was the last album of his that featured "heavy" music. He became disillusioned with the scene. While vocally, he remained amazing, musically he would released some crap. He has since returned to the heavy scene with Unisonic (with Kai Hansen) and the upcoming Pumpkins United Tour (Helloween reunion, also playing in Worcester next September!)

Anyway, Instant Clarity is quite varied. There's actually no other song like DIRAL?.

Here's Always, which was dedicated to Ingo Schwitchenberg, the late ex-Helloween drummer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ekkmZgyG0

New Horizons (With Hansen and Adrian, you'll recognize the prechorus from Iron Maiden's New Frontier's prechorus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpAKzW_Ix3U

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: December 04, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
Holy shit that is an awesome photo and you get serious cred for that  :metal :metal :hefdaddy

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #539 on: December 04, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »
This was very fun, thanks Stadler!

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #540 on: December 04, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »

Deconstruction is my favorite. Not for everyone and absolutely chaotic but I just love it.
Casualties of Cool is pretty good as well. I love how you never know what you're going to get with a Devin release.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #541 on: December 04, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
These are some sure interesting scores for Nightwish, Headspace, PT and Fates Warning.

That Michael Kiske song is indeed killer though, I've got it in my roulette too.

I agree.  Tim will be :getoffmylawn: because I scored him lower than the song deserved.  It's aged very well the more I listened to it (as I predicted in my writeup of the score).

bands generally get the recognition they deserve.

How do you explain Nickelback then?

As for the Nightwish score ... totally not surprised.  Tarja-era Nightwish can be hit or miss, and I told you this wasn't the most accessible song or the best place to start with Nightwish, but I had to do something different to have a chance to catch Home.  I could've submitted another 'safe' very-good song and scored and 8 (my average for the whole roulette), and I still wouldn't have won.... so I have no regrets.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
That Michael Kiske song is indeed killer though, I've got it in my roulette too.

I agree.  Tim will be :getoffmylawn: because I scored him lower than the song deserved.  It's aged very well the more I listened to it (as I predicted in my writeup of the score).

Yup. You did predict it. Sometimes in a roulette, there just isn't time for some songs to resonate, especially the longer songs.

But if Kiske isn't banned, there's a good chance I'm sending it.  ;D

And I appreciate everyone respecting that. Likewise, I will never send White Lion just in case J Boy wants to use them. :lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:50:21 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #543 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »

Yup. You did predict it. Sometimes in a roulette, there just isn't time for some songs to resonate, especially the longer songs.

And I appreciate everyone respecting that. Likewise, I will never send White Lion just in case J Boy wants to use them. :lol

So there's kind of an unwritten rule about not sending a band that you know someone else is really into? :)  I'm down with that, unless it's a band I'm also obsessed with.  Except I don't know that much about what others like yet.  (Except that Stadler's wrong about Grace Under Pressure, Leprous, and apparently, Fates Warning. :)  And I'll save Stratovarius for Firewings. :))

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #544 on: December 04, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »

Deconstruction is my favorite. Not for everyone and absolutely chaotic but I just love it.
Casualties of Cool is pretty good as well. I love how you never know what you're going to get with a Devin release.
casualties of cool is my favorite devin release, tbh

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #545 on: December 04, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »

:clap:

So there's kind of an unwritten rule about not sending a band that you know someone else is really into?

No such rule ... in fact, some of us like to be pricks, and 'rock-block' bands so that someone else CAN'T use them.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: December 04, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
I am likely to think of a Strato song for any possible round should I participate, but others should feel free to use them  :lol

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #547 on: December 05, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
Wooooo   ;D

Glad the song grew on you! I wasn't too sure about my song but Mastodon are really worth the effort to get into them!

I'd recommend the entire album The Czar is from- Crack the Skye. It's my favourite metal album, and that's not even my favorite (or the most "epic") song on there.
I second this, Crack The Skye is probably their most praised album, and with a reason. Alternatively if you like a more melodic aproach Once More Round The Sun is definitely worth checking as well.

Anyway thanks for hosting this Roulette! I enjoyed playing in this, and while I think I kind of played safe by not sending stuff that's too out there I hope to have acquainted you with some new music  :metal
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: December 05, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
These are some sure interesting scores for Nightwish, Headspace, PT and Fates Warning.

bands generally get the recognition they deserve.

How do you explain Nickelback then?

As for the Nightwish score ... totally not surprised.  Tarja-era Nightwish can be hit or miss, and I told you this wasn't the most accessible song or the best place to start with Nightwish, but I had to do something different to have a chance to catch Home.  I could've submitted another 'safe' very-good song and scored and 8 (my average for the whole roulette), and I still wouldn't have won.... so I have no regrets.

No regerts?    :)   You did awesome and gave me a ton of good music (the Ayreon sticks out still).    As for Nickleback, I have no beef with Nickleback.  Not my favorite of all time, but I don't really get the hate.   I LOVE Chad's voice, actually. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »

Anyway thanks for hosting this Roulette! I enjoyed playing in this, and while I think I kind of played safe by not sending stuff that's too out there I hope to have acquainted you with some new music  :metal

No, again, thanks to all of you, and I think I can honestly say that EVERY SINGLE PERSON sent at least one song that sent me back to the wood shed.    I have 1600 CDs in my house, and so that fact humbles me. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #551 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
If you'd like any advice or background info on bands I sent, let me know.  Also my round 7 pick was going to be a track from Need's album Hegaiamas until it changed to a cover round. I love that album and it's a 2017 release so I definitely recommend you check it out.

I probably wouldn't have sent you Fates Warning had I known they were already a band you didn't like - I was trying to send you stuff you hadn't heard. If you're already relatively familiar with them, I won't press you to keep trying. But if you've only checked out a few random tracks over the years, I still say to give them a real shot, even if you didn't like those 2 tracks. Fates albums are usually growers for me, and it took me a bit to really get into them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: December 05, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
It's less that I "heard them and didn't like them" than what I've heard didn't grab me.  But I also was turned off to Devin because of Sex and Religion, and Kiske from Helloween (one song, in a video) but both of them scored high.  There's really no rules.   

I'll give them another listen, and I still have to post why I said "derivative", so...