Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 38029 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette)
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »
So some lame Canadian band then. :neverusethis:

I Mother Earth for instance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »
I've already got 4 "approved" by our host.

Sucking his dick behind the scenes?

Apparently seems to be working with Chris.

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat ... or fellate.  Potato; potahto   :lol

jingle has little if any real advantage.   

I'm gonna send the most liberal, left-wing, snowflake, hippie crap I can think of.

Hey, I love REM and Neil Young (though I'm not that familiar with some of the more obscure Young stuff), so it's really got to be out there. 

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
  And based on the songs I've gotten so far, some of you are more worried than you need to be.

Hmmmm maybe I should use my wild card now...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »

You take that back you son of a Canadian! :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »

I believe he was referring to Harem Scarem.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
Stadler do you have/have heard JLB solo and side projects?

And, are there any singers that you particularly hate, or strongly dislike?

Oh, and I have Elements of Persuasion and Impermanent Resonance.

Offline emtee

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
What would happen to a guy who's not playing the roulette comes in here and posts a suggestion for some music that I think
he should hear ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »
I feel like I can send some non prog with Stadler.  Mmmmn. Thinking of a few bands right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
Round one sent yo...

And now the waiting begins...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
We both are; still, I believe, waiting for the offerings from Mosh and elite.  I have everyone else's. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2017, 08:46:26 AM »
Sent
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »
So, I've been thinking about what I am going to be submitting in the upcoming rounds. This roulette, to me is different. Stadler and I are basically the same age. Of course he's older..I mean I'm younger..anyway...
I'm not so concerned with showing him the greatest song of the last few years and all. But I'm thinking of filling in some gaps that he might have missed along the way. Not so concerned with the scores, per se.

Which of course will inevitably be met with this response..

You're just making excuses for losing!

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
Yeah, except you're gonna have to try a lot harder than that to lose to jingle.... :neverusethis:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
Yeah, except you're gonna have to try a lot harder than that to lose to jingle.... :neverusethis:

Don't you have a meal to cook or something?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2017, 07:38:18 AM »
I'm not going to give "first impression one liners" for each song, at least not this round, but I have to say this.  Some are better than others, and certainly as a group I can discern that "I like THIS better than I like THAT", but there is such a consistency to this round, that I am struggling with scores.  I could easily give 10 scores and there be only a point or two between "1st" and "10th".  I'm also struggling - particularly with one song - on whether to judge on it's own merits, or on my particular taste, or the relative worth compared to the others in the round.   

But for someone that prides himself on being aware, and having a broad interest in music, I'm humbled by the quality of music that not only have I not heard before, but not even heard OF before.  If that makes sense.   This is fun and I'm glad I'm doing it.  Starting write-ups today; if I can get them out early (to keep this f***** moving) I will. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »

But for someone that prides himself on being aware, and having a broad interest in music, I'm humbled by the quality of music that not only have I not heard before, but not even heard OF before.  If that makes sense.   

Makes complete sense.  This was my journey about 12-13 years ago when I started branching out in the kinds of music I went looking for (thank you high-speed internet!).  On behalf of us all, you're welcome - your wallet will hate us.  :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »

But for someone that prides himself on being aware, and having a broad interest in music, I'm humbled by the quality of music that not only have I not heard before, but not even heard OF before.  If that makes sense.   

Makes complete sense.  This was my journey about 12-13 years ago when I started branching out in the kinds of music I went looking for (thank you high-speed internet!).  On behalf of us all, you're welcome - your wallet will hate us.  :biggrin:

There are at least three bands in this round that I can see myself buying an album or two from them in the foreseeable future. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
definitely good that I didn't enter or there would be a way bigger gap between first and last  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »

Of course that makes sense. And that is the wonder of DTF. We all share. It doesn't even have to be in a roulette. We all know each others' tastes and there's plenty of "Hey I think you'll like this, check this out" that happens all the time.

When I'm on DTF, it really reminds me of being like 15 and hanging at a friends house, talking music, talking shit.

Now if you REALLY want to feel HUMBLED, be sure to check out Brent's next podcast. :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
But for someone that prides himself on being aware, and having a broad interest in music, I'm humbled by the quality of music that not only have I not heard before, but not even heard OF before.  If that makes sense.   This is fun and I'm glad I'm doing it.  Starting write-ups today; if I can get them out early (to keep this f***** moving) I will.
I think this would probably apply to all of us.  There's sooo much music out there and I think it's hard for most to stay on top of it all.  Except maybe that guy on the MP forum who posts his top 100 albums each year and insists that if an album made the top 100, he *loved* it, and that he listens to like 500 albums a year.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
that sounds like JRond or whatever
i don't think he posted a 2016 list on DTF now that i think about it?
but that was like, where I first heard about Earthside & that was a good find  :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »

Glad to hear it, and keep in mind that this is just round one. I'd imagine 90% of my library is fair game for this thing, and I have close to 600 albums. And some of these dudes eclipse my library by scores and scores. The rabbit hole is hella deep my friend.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
Only 600?  iTunes says I have 1,596... though many of those would be from single songs that I have.  I'd say I'm easily in the 900-1000 range.

Then add a couple hun that I've got saved in Spotify.

And yeah... for some real humility, go check out a Ben/Brent podcast after this is done

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
Kingshmegland:    No More Pain, “All As One”:     LOVE the intro.  I heard that and it pricked my ears up straight away.    I’m a vocals guy, a melody guy, so when the vocals kicked in – somewhat generic relative to the bombast of the intro – it was a shade of a let down.    Similarly, I was waiting for an epic chorus, and while the vocals were thicker, it wasn’t as up front as I would have preferred.  This was aching for a chorus like Yes circa 1986 (Talk era).   But it was very good, and I will probably check out more from this band (it didn’t influence the score, but “Behold The Screen” came on right after and I let it play; it ROCKED, and I felt the vocals were less generic and more interesting. THAT would have gotten an 8 or 9).      7

Antigoon:   Lorde, “The Louvre”:   I wrote before that I was struggling with the grading, and this is the song that caused most of the grief.   Do I get Lorde? I think so; I think she’s actually one of the current ingenues that has the talent and the gumption to back up the hype and the drama.  Do I like Lorde?  Not really; not my thing.  I don’t get turned off too much by lyrics, and I like a clever turn of the phrase, but things like “I overthink your puh-punctuation use” stick out to me as a kind of pretension that I can’t really abide (and this from a guy that likes Jon Anderson’s lyrics, for the most part).  The pre-chorus brought the song to a new level, but it didn’t stay there, and the “boom boom boom” seemed a little pandering.  For a happy song, I’m not sure a lot of “happy” came through.    I’m so sorry, this was my least favorite of the group, but for this first round, I’m going to rate it absolutely, not relatively and give it  a six.     6

Jingle.boy:  Ayreon, “Across the Rainbow Bridge”:   What was I saying about “pretentious”?   But I loved it!  The way this song unfolded like a CD booklet or a well-wrapped package was awesome.  The spoken word, the quiet vocals, the louder vocals... really built nicely.    I loved the way the first “Across the rainbow bridge!” cut through, and then the second time, it wasn’t just a repeat of the phrase, but rather it was its own section.   Reminded me a lot of Sabbath in that the song leaves the impression of a series of parts strung together but done so cohesively as to be seamless, almost like a spiral staircase the way it builds.  It also reminds me of Me And Sarah Jane, a song that has I think five sections and yet never exactly repeats any of them.   (And lyrically…  antigoon might have a legit beef; if I called Lorde pretentious what the FUCK is this?)  I had heard a lot about this band on this site, but never got around to hearing them.   This is a band I will dig further into as time goes by.   I loved this.  8.5

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »
TAC:  Daydream XI – “Collector of Souls”:   I got a little nervous with the little a cappella start; it reminded me a little of something I couldn’t put my finger on, but that isn’t good, like “Fun.” or something like that, and then went even further south into a more Glenn Hughes-style wailing (I’m in the camp that, as good a singer as Hughes is, he ruined Deep Purple with the “funk”).  But from humble beginnings…  that riff kicked in, and I wanted to run upstairs and figure it out on guitar.   The vocals were still a little too “70’s Deep Purple” to totally nail it, but the chorus was epic enough to save the song, and bring it back into a more familiar territory.    7.5

Mosh:  Symphony X, “Accolade II”:  I should love this.  I should be all over this like Trump on a controversy.   But I’m not.  For some reason, Russell Allen bugs me, and I have no real reason why.   I didn’t like the Rik Emmett-esque vocals in the verses, though I really liked the vocals in the choruses (where the hell was THAT in Amob? That might have made “Motherfuckin’ psychosane!” more palatable!)  Loved the keyboard lines that wove their way through this; old-school in the best possible way.    One thing that struck me on the outro about the third time I heard it:  this is an example of a woman like Carmen Electra, who has all the right pieces:  nice body, long blond hair, big smile, cool personality, but… still just isn’t that hot to me.   It’s missing that je ne sais quoi that separates the Springsteens from the Southside Johnnys.  The Beatles from the ELOs.   The Sabbaths from the Blue Cheers.  The Margot Robbie's from the Angelina Jolie's.  7.5

Lonestar:  Kingcrow, “Right Before”: I dig this.  Not blown away, and it’s not the best song of the round, but I found myself coming back to it as just good, solid, well-played progressive metal.   Really liked the solos; seemed to bring something new besides the sometimes clichéd “widdly, widdly” stuff; almost reminded me a little of an Alex Lifeson “sound solo” more than a barrage of notes, ala our boy Yngwie.  (And once again, really impressed by the follow-on song, “Fading Out, Pt. IV”).    7

Elite: Jolly, “Joy”:   I was very pleasantly surprised with this.  I had heard a lot about this band, but didn’t quite know what to expect (for a while I had it confused with Jellyfish).  I was really impressed by this.  Just straightforward, well-played pop-rock with substance.   I like this because it sounds like there is a lot more under the hood than first appears (and case in point, it took until the third listen to hear that cool little piano/keyboard lick at about 2:30).   I liked the vocals and the layering of the vocals (particularly in the final repeat of the chorus).  This is a band I would like to check out more (though unlike with King, I let it bleed into the next song, “Sweet Darlin’”, which I didn’t warm to at all).   7.5
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:14:38 PM by Stadler »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
V_clortho:  Powermad, “Nice Dreams”:   Dammit!  This brought me back to 1984, and “Defenders of the Faith”.    Perhaps a little more Metallica than Priest, but still it has that 80’s metal ethos that I was ass deep into until at least 1989.  Metallica was the granddaddy of thrash, and you had Slayer who took it a little farther in the pure “thrash” direction (too far in my opinion; they’re a cartoon to me) and this isn’t quite far enough (or perhaps too far into the opposite direction).  And the years are important; I missed Powermad the first time around, because by 1989, we already had Priest and Maiden and Metallica.  DT – blending all that came before – was just on the horizon, but they took it a step further than this, incorporating the keyboards (the prog) into the mix.    Here, the vocals are good, but the growls aren’t quite fierce enough, the screams aren’t quite wailing enough… it’s good but it’s kind of like dating the hottest girl in high school’s… younger sister.   6.5

Lethean:  Katatonia, “Lethean”:    Mystery solved!  I still don’t know what a “Lethean” is, but I know where to find one if I need it!  Actually not true; I know what “lethean” means; it’s not an “it”, but a descriptor of “oblivion”, and is a rather apt (in a good way) title for this song.   Katatonia is a band I’ve heard a lot about here, and yet never heard them in any depth.   I liked this; didn’t LOVE it, but like this.   It feels as if it is of a piece.   Musically solid (is it just me, or are you starting to really hear the Mike Portnoy influence in drummers of the next wave, of the last say, 10 years?), and seems to reveal little things throughout the song.   Vocally, and before I recognized that it was, as I said, “of a piece”, I was waiting for it to go somewhere that it never did.  Near the end was a nice, subtle layering of vocals that created a really cool, shimmering effect that really added something ethereal to the song, and as sometimes happens, that made the entire song click for me in a way that is really, almost, brilliant.   “Oblivion” indeed.    This is art.   8

Home:  Alter Bridge, “Cry of Achilles”:  Okay, so I’m human, like anyone else.  I have my pet peeves, and my annoyances, but I also have my buttons.  And this pressed it.    Myles fucking Kennedy.  I was perhaps one of about 14 people not named “Kennedy” that was really bummed when Myles went back to Alter Bridge and Slash went back to Axl.   I REALLY liked the collaboration between the two, and through that I fell in love with Myles Kennedy (euphemistically, of course).   I tried to get into Alter Bridge – I have the first record and Live In Amsterdam – but it seemed a harsher, more metallic version of what he was doing with Slash, and I prefer the more 70’s. Aerosmith/Zeppelin stylings of Slash (there’s even one “pair” of songs that to me sound like the same vocal line and chorus melody set over different backing tracks, and for my money, the Slash version is more slinky, more groovy and more… better).   Except for this, the song of the round.  I LOVED this.  Rumor is, Myles sang with the remaining Zeppelin members for a spell, and this could have been from that session.  Achilles!   Acoustic guitar!  A massive riff!  Dark and light!  The layered vocals!  Another massive riff!   The way he sings “EYES!” in the chorus!   The processed vocals right before the solo!    The solo!   What more do you need?   For me, nothing.  I’ll have this album in my collection by Friday.    9

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Home:                   9
jingle.boy:             8.5
Lethean                 8
TAC                       7.5
Mosh                     7.5
elite                      7.5
kingshmegland       7
lonestar                 7
v_clortho               6.5
antigoon                6

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
The Louvre is good tho

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
In one round of this roulette Home has almost equaled his point total halfway through my roulette.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
Accolade II is a great song. My favorite from that album.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
it's only up from here baybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
The Louvre is good tho

It's not BAD, per se, but I struggled with that song.  It's supposed to be the high point, the happy time, of a relationship that I understand later went south.   Maybe it's the difference between a 50 year old man and a 20 year old girl.  I don't have to feel it myself, but I have to see the line of sight from A to B.  I don't agree with, say, John Mellencamp's politics, or Michael Stipe's, but when they sing a political song I get the emotion behind it.  I see why they feel that way.  I couldn't connect with that song that way.  I'm not an overly religious person, and I certainly don't worship as he does, but when Neal Morse sings The Call, I feel like I want to run out in the street and testify.  The emotion he's singing about is contagious.  "The Louvre" struck me as being written by someone that was trying to convince themselves that they felt a certain way.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
Yes, that's literally what it's about, in the context of the album she's trying to convince herself she's in love when she knows she's not

But I can see why that wouldn't resonate so well, I probably would've sent liability myself if I were to send anything from that album

Offline Lethean

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

Lethean:  Katatonia, “Lethean”:    Mystery solved!  I still don’t know what a “Lethean” is, but I know where to find one if I need it!  Actually not true; I know what “lethean” means; it’s not an “it”, but a descriptor of “oblivion”, and is a rather apt (in a good way) title for this song.   Katatonia is a band I’ve heard a lot about here, and yet never heard them in any depth.   I liked this; didn’t LOVE it, but like this.   It feels as if it is of a piece.   Musically solid (is it just me, or are you starting to really hear the Mike Portnoy influence in drummers of the next wave, of the last say, 10 years?), and seems to reveal little things throughout the song.   Vocally, and before I recognized that it was, as I said, “of a piece”, I was waiting for it to go somewhere that it never did.  Near the end was a nice, subtle layering of vocals that created a really cool, shimmering effect that really added something ethereal to the song, and as sometimes happens, that made the entire song click for me in a way that is really, almost, brilliant.   “Oblivion” indeed.    This is art.   8

Awesome.  :)  Stadler thinks Lethean is brilliant (my eyes are just skipping over that one little word in between).  I'll file this away for if/when I decide to venture into the political threads... ;)

Regarding Portnoy influence... I'd be curious to know about that.  The drummer on that song, Daniel Liljekvist, had been with them since the late 90s and he kind of grew as a musician during his tenure with them (as they all did I think).  I read a few interviews with him and it seemed that he barely listened to metal at all when he joined; I think he was more into grunge and then Rage Against the Machine and he also said he likes electronic music.  I'm sure he could very well have been influenced by DT somewhere along the way but I'd be curious.

So glad you enjoyed the song.  I could very easily submit a different Katatonia song for every round of this roulette.  (Why is it called a roulette anyway?).  But I won't - I think I'll likely do a different band for each round, but maybe not... Anyway, I recommend just getting their entire catalog.  :)  (Or more realistically, getting some newer stuff and slowing working your way backwards if you're so inclined).  Lethean is somewhat unusual because most of their songs don't actually have guitar solos, but it is representative in that dark, melancholic vibe that really is at their core.

Curious - after reading your comments, it would seem that you would rate Kingcrow (Right Before) higher than Symphony X.  It seems like you liked the Kingcrow song quite a bit and the SX not so much... why did SX get a higher rating? 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
Referring to ayreon as pretensious is a gross understatement lol

Fair assessment of my track, I like to say that they play with soul and purpose, not just to satisfy their own ego, that track is the first of a tremendous concept album, worth 70 minutes of your life for sure.