Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 37662 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS
« Reply #490 on: November 21, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »
I was wavering between the Redemption song and Motley Crue's version of "Helter Skelter" or Trans Siberian Orchestra's cover of Savatage's "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)"

Id'a kicked both back to you.   Like Helter Skelter (but it still has Vince singing on it, haha), and LOVE Christmas Eve. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: November 21, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »

Lethean:  Dreamscape – “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes”:    Nice call!   My second favorite Ultravox song (behind the obvious “Vienna”) and one of the songs they played at Live Aid.    Big fan of Midge Ure, even if I don’t love everything about Ultravox (the sterility, the coldness of everything but Ure’s voice, though that may have been the point).    This is a great example of capturing the essence; it’s a little fuller than the Ultravox version, and there are any number of instrumental flourishes – not all of them good – but they do get the apocalyptic bleakness of the original (I understand the original to be a man contemplating nuclear annihilation).   Plus, they’re working with a melody that really sticks with you.  9

Wow did I get lucky. Confession time: I never heard of the original song (or Ultravox at all) when I heard this cover on Dreamscape's album Very. I guess I assumed that maybe they were popular in Europe but not here, but that's probably a bad assumption.  I didn't think you'd be familiar with the song, but wanted to go with it anyway since it's a bit different than some others I'd considered. Glad you liked it so much. :)

Ultravox was either the opener or one of the first bands to play Live Aid.  Midge Ure - guitar and vocals for Ultravox - helped organize Live Aid, and is on the board that distributes the funds from that.  He also co-wrote "Do They Know It's Christmas?"  I trhink he was in Thin Lizzy for about eight minutes too.    Their biggest hit was "Vienna", but "Dancing..." was pretty close.   His voice is so clear and pristine...  the band wasn't named for him, but it fits. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:28:13 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
TAC:  Meliah Rage – “Halo of Flies”:

OK.... Let's go through this.

While the band got the essence – the swirl and buzz of the original, figuratively and literally the “halo of flies” – it’s a bit too… metallic in the sense that the Alice version is dirty and oily and almost uncomfortable.

I actually thought that might be an issue. But this is actually my all time favorite Alice Cover, and yes that includes Ronnie Dio's Welcome To My Nightmare and Bruce Dickinson's The Black Widow (which is AWESOME!!). Not surprised t hear you thought it was too metal.

This was the hardest song to score, BY FAR, because I wanted to reward you for enlightening me – which was your stated goal -

Then do it!  ;D

Yes, it is my goal to spread the gospel of Alice Cooper, especially the original Alice Cooper band. The most underrated classic rock band.

- but also reflect that the cover itself slightly missed the mark.   

I actually think it was the score itself that missed the mark.  :P

I fell in love with the original and will be ordering the album once I get home from my trip.   I want to hear the rest right now! 

Great, then my work is done!  :)

Order School's Out while you are at it. While you may be familiar with the title track, no other song on that album has gotten any airplay, and the title track doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. I consider School's Out and Killer essential albums. They are the 4th and 5th albums of the original band's 7 album run. They are the true pinnacle of the band's career. Both are Ezrin albums as well.

I can say this, because it's the last round and most of the entries are in, but if it was the original being rated, you'd've gotten a higher score.  The Alice version blew me away.   I only know a handful of Alice songs - School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Only Women Bleed are the one's I know best and can sing to you; I've at least heard I'm Eighteen, Elected, Under My Wheels, and Billion Dollar Babies, Hey Stoopid.    Maybe How You Gonna See Me Now.  When I was getting into music, Alice was starting to be a joke.  Maybe not a "joke", but his star was fading, and I didn't get into the more polished and commercial side of his later work.  But Halo... is right up my alley.  I love that.

So in conclusion, you should take your shitty score as a complement!   :)  (I'm kidding!)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #493 on: November 21, 2017, 03:54:03 PM »

Home:  Elliot Smith – “Because”:   Always dangerous ground covering the Beatles (my favorite band, by the way).  There are a few exceptions, but while there are a number of great Beatles covers, they rarely surpass the masters.  This isn’t one of them, but it comes close.   
I agree with this, it indeed doesn't surpass the original but it does do the original justice. And Elliott's distinct voice makes it makes it just different enough to sit comfortably beside the original.

I'm really hoping I don't screw this up now  :lol
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:34:03 PM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #494 on: November 21, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »

Home:  Elliot Smith – “Because”:   Always dangerous ground covering the Beatles (my favorite band, by the way).  There are a few exceptions, but while there are a number of great Beatles covers, they rarely surpass the masters.  This isn’t one of them, but it comes close.   
I agree with this, it indeed doesn't surpass the original but it does do the original justice. And Elliot's distinct voice makes it makes it just different enough to sit comfortably beside the original.

You'd need to send him Janis Joplin covering something off Grace Under Pressure to lose.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: November 22, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »

I agree with this, it indeed doesn't surpass the original but it does do the original justice. And Elliot's distinct voice makes it makes it just different enough to sit comfortably beside the original.

You'd need to send him Janis Joplin covering something off Grace Under Pressure to lose.

That would truly be my personal hell.   :)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #496 on: November 27, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
What did everyone send?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »
Mastodon - The Czar
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight  OR Fates Warning - The Light and Shade of Things (Wildcard)
Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast
Fates Warning - Ghost of Home
Headspace - Daddy Fucking Loves You
Michael Kiske - Do I Remember a Life?
This Will Destroy You - The Mighty Rio Grande
Moon Safari - A Kid Called Panic

Waiting on Elite and King

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #498 on: November 27, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
I'll get you the song tonight good sir.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #499 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
TWDY is good & that's a good album but villa del refugio and burial on the presidio banks are definitely both better than that one
epic rounds tho

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: November 27, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
Not going to say which ones, but I've listened to four songs now more than once, and three of them... I feel every single one of the 10 or so minutes.  Only one flew by and seemed shorter than it was.  The rest were, dare I say, boring. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
The rest were, dare I say, boring. 

Guilty.   :facepalm:

Light a candle, bro!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #502 on: November 27, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

Good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: November 27, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »

Guilty.   :facepalm:

Light a candle, bro!  :lol

I can say this because I didn't say who sent what, it's the last round, and it's my f*****g roulette, but... NOT guilty.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #504 on: November 27, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
 :metal

Did you get my Alice PM?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #506 on: November 27, 2017, 07:17:17 PM »
Sent!

I thought fo sho yours woulda been the Moon Safari!
Incredible that there were two submissions from Theories of Flight. 
I know who sent Headspace.
And Kiske
And Nightwish
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #507 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »
And Kiske

I don't know what you're talking about.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
I thought that myself, Moon Safari be a great pic.

Theories of flight is a phenomenal album. So no surprise to songs with sent.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #509 on: November 27, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »
blaze of glory baybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
Probably post results tomorrow.  Got to finish write-ups and maybe listen once or twice more.   One song... clear winner.  One song, ahhhhhh, not so much.  The rest are somewhere in between.     

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #511 on: December 01, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
Posting because I had to check out the Dreamscape cover of Ultravox. That is some good stuff. Wow.

No chance because I'm not doing the roulette but Stadler should totally check out Avantasia's cover of the song since he likes it to begin with. It's a bit more straightforward but it's one of my favorite gym songs :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #512 on: December 02, 2017, 05:38:11 AM »
:corn

(Can't wait to see how hard I've screwed this up in the last round)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: December 02, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »
I wasn't going to win so I went introspective.   See how Stadler likes it.

Or not.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: December 02, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
I needed a 480' home run (and a whiff by Home and Lethean), so I swung for the upper deck.  I have just as good a chance of being the clear winner as I do the clear loser.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: December 02, 2017, 06:13:38 AM »
So swinging like Joe Carter

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: December 02, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
So swinging like Joe Carter

I'll swing like any guy that has a walk-off World Series winner.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: December 04, 2017, 08:50:36 AM »
Sorry for the delay, bros.   Friday got away from me when my grandson came over early - we were babysitting - and it was down hill (with regards to "Stadler personal time") from that point on. 

Anyway; great roulette.   Really, REALLY enjoyed this, and I can't thank you guys enough for taking it seriously, and sharing your music with me.  I think I can safely say that every single one of you gave me SOMETHING I can keep - musically - and a few of you have truly opened my eyes to stuff I didn't even know existed and yet impacted my (musical) life.   Thank you again.   (And because of all the music I've had to now buy, I estimate each of you owes me about $12.64.  Haha, kidding).

Now that it's over, I feel like high school is ending.   I've learned some lessons for the next one (keep it moving; themes are good; long songs are bad!) and had some fun.    This last round was a good round, not the best, but interesting.   I tried to score it a little harder than some of the past ones, if only to make it interesting, but that didn't really work, as it turns out.  Relatively, each song is where it should be.  I hope no one takes any of this personally; you all have excellent, if quite varied, tastes, and it’s purely subjective (that’s been the hardest part of this, by the way, wanting to show respect, and not wanting to hurt feelings.)   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
Kingshmegland:    Echolyn – “When Sunday Spills”:   Have to be honest:  I first heard this, in passing, and I was like “Eeeeesh.  Those vocals.  King’s not going to like me after this score!”.  But I noted the effort you put in, and I looked at the lyrics, and I listened to it again.  And again.  And again.  And the beauty and the power just sort of pushed it’s way through.   Not the best song of the round, but goddamn close, and really came to be everything l like in music.  Particularly love what you noted, and that’s the way the music and lyrics play off each other.  8.5

Antigoon:   They Will Destroy You – “The Mighty Rio Grande”:   I guess this is “post rock”?   Never seemed to care for the cutesy sub-designations.  It’s all music.  But I get it, and from what I’ve heard, I like it.   This was powerful and emotive, and I absolutely loved the buildup to the end (no joke there).  8

Jingle.boy:  Nightwish – “Beauty of the Beast”:   Broham.  You were on a roll.  You were doing so well.   And… I’m sorry but I just can’t get past the vocals, and musically it wasn’t so compelling as to overcome.   I know there has been some flux in the Nightwish singer spot; I know there are some male vocals as well.  I’ve not heard any of those, but if they’re like this, I’m not sure I’ll like it.   The part she says “I still feel for you” and goes up to the “lost is there” was almost cringe-inducing.   6.5

TAC:  Michael Kiske – “Do I Remember A Life?”:   Huh.  Helloween.  I remember a video that looked almost like an early Maiden performance video, and it was so over the top it was like watching a heavy metal “Steel Panther” without the scat humor.   Piercing, clichéd, “Jim Gillette Metal Method” vocals and generic riffage (to be fair, that was decades ago, and the only time I’ve listened to them).    But this… song of the round.   This was KILLER.  I loved the atmosphere and the smoothness in his voice as he elevated the song.   This really connected with me, and I’d like to hear more from this album (assuming it’s more in this vein and not the over-the-top, Priest on steroids cartoonery of the Helloween I know.  9

Mosh:  Moon Safari – “A Kid Called Panic”:   A band I hear a lot about here on the forum, but another I’ve never actually heard.   I really liked this.   A lot of Nordic (for lack of a better descriptor) bands in this roulette, and in the favorites of the people here, and while it’s foolhardy to generalize, there is a distinct “cleanliness” and “sterility” (in a good way) to the music I’ve heard.  Having said that, it seems to veer from metallic and cold to pure and crystalline, and for me I seldom like the former, and almost always like the latter.   I love that sort of clean, clear poppiness that you hear in bands like Ultravox, and, as it turns out, Moon Safari.   Always a sucker for symphonic vocals and this doesn’t disappoint.  I hear a lot of my favorite bands in this; the general Beatles and Yes (the vocals) and the cool little parts like the vocal/keyboard interplay at around 5:30 and how it switches gears so abruptly, yet smoothly, around 6;)0.   Pure Genesis magic there.     Good tune and another band I’m going to try to dig into a little around the holidays.  8

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
Lonestar:  Headspace – “Daddy Fucking Loves You”:   Hmmm.  Expectations were high here, with the pedigree of Adam Wakeman.  I saw him recently poking his head out from behind the black curtain at the Sabbath show, but didn’t know what to expect here… it was good, but not great.  There were moments; the epic part at 12:30-ish that sounded like Myles Kennedy singing a Yes cover (and I mean that in the best possible way) but there was something that kept it from being just… amazing, and I don’t know what it is.   At first I thought it was the vocals, but they weren’t bad, actually, even if a little reedy for me.   I didn’t follow any of the lyrics, and, as a dad myself, if you’re going to title something “Daddy Fucking Loves You”, it’d be cool to know where that’s pointed, and I still don’t.  I’m going to hope that what I hear next from them is a little more focused, and give it a…  7.5

Elite:  Procupine Tree – “Arriving Somewhere But Not Here”:   I just don’t get the notion of Stephen Wilson.  I really don’t.  He’s done some great things – the Crimson remasters, “Sunsets On Empire” (my favorite Fish solo song, BY FAR).    This had moments, but in typical Wilson fashion, one time I’d listen and say “This fucking SUCKS”, and yet one time I listened (in the shower; does that matter?) and it hit closer to home and I liked it.   But then I tried to revisit that, and it never really happened again.   Nice chorus; I generally like that kind of drone-y take on things, but, again, as with many things Wilson to me, the work just seems to never quit trying to remind me how superior and clever it (and he) is, and I find that annoying.    7

v_clortho:  Fates Warning – “Ghost of Home” and Lethean: Fates Warning – “The light and Dark of Things”:  Same write up for both, since the comments are the same.     I have a theory, and an unpopular one for some, I’m sure:  bands generally get the recognition they deserve.   I know, I know, but if only people heard [insert my favorite song] it would be top of the charts, better than that shit from [insert pop tartlet of the moment].   But I generally think that’s the exception to the rule.    Things have a way of getting heard, and if they don’t, they don’t.   Fates Warning never clicked with me, and they just seem to be a second-tier version of things that I’ve heard before and like better.    It doesn’t help that I kept thinking “Blaze Bayley!” each song, other than some riffage in the middle of “TLADOT”, everything just seemed to be… I don’t know if uninspired is the right word, but maybe derivative?   I don’t judge anyone for liking it – believe me, there’s a shit ton of music I LOVE that is at best “derivative”, but this didn’t click, perhaps because I’m so into what it’s derivative of.   7

Home:  Mastodon – “The Czar”:   I hated this at first, but in my playlist, it was right after Michael Kiske’s song, so I got to hear it a lot and it just grew and grew on me.   I liked the droning aspect of it, at first the vocals really didn’t connect, but after a few listens it hit me:  this is what Ozzy SHOULD be doing now, rather than that programmed industrial shit that seems to have pervaded “Black Rain” and “Scream”.    The more I listened to this – especially the end half or so – the more I realized this channeled the best of one of my favorite bands (and my favorite period of that band), the Sabotage-era Sabbath.   I liked this, and the score has climbed accordingly; my preliminary score was 6.5, and, well, now that the listening is over and I have to commit, I’ll put it at…  8

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: December 04, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
These are some sure interesting scores for Nightwish, Headspace, PT and Fates Warning.

That Michael Kiske song is indeed killer though, I've got it in my roulette too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: December 04, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
Home                 66
Lethean              64
Kingshmegland    64
v_clortho            63
TAC                    63
jingle.boy            62.5
lonestar              62.5
elite                    61.5
antigoon              61
Mosh                   60

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #522 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
While I love that Nightwish song, it is very early Nightwish, and there's a lot more in their discography you'd appreciate for sure, Stads. Shame that one didn't click with you.

When I sat down with all the Fates Warnings albums a couple months ago, I fell in love with those two songs. Not as much as when I went through Rush, but I think Fates is a fairly underappreciated band, at least as far as I know them and all my metalhead friends. But, I also love the longer songs, FW does them very well for my tastes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #523 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:45 AM »
I'd recommend the entire album The Czar is from- Crack the Skye. It's my favourite metal album, and that's not even my favorite (or the most "epic") song on there.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »
Stadler, I know what you're on about with Mastodon. I tried to get into them probably a dozen times ever since I heard Portnoy praise them back in the early 2000's and it never really worked for me. Every few years when they'd release a new album, I'd try their catalog again and I'd end up wondering what was wrong with me. But then a couple of years ago, I tried again and Crack the Skye really just floored me. After obsessing on it for a few weeks I started collecting their other albums and have never looked back.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens