Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 37983 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #455 on: November 13, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
With 2 rounds to go, and a 2 point lead, this is Home's to lose.

Yep. I keep hoping to close the gap but it doesn't happen.

Elite, I almost sent one of the Reality Dream songs. I probably would have gone with I or II, not because I like them better (I like all 3) though.  I was also really tempted to send Night Session Part Two but thought it was probably too long and not "happening" enough. I love it though.

Stadler, Kiko (not Kiki) is great and I definitely recommend his solo albums.

I think it's interesting that you think so many of these submissions sound like Dream Theater. I was wondering if that would happen since you said you didn't listen to a lot of prog metal. Quite a few other people I've known or conversed with online had a similar experience, and then as they listened to the bands more, they didn't think they sounded so much like DT.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #456 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
Glad you liked Snarky Puppy. I would strongly recommend checking out the rest of that album (it's called 'We Like It Here' and there are videos for every song on YT), especially the songs 'Shofukan', 'Lingus', and 'Sleeper'.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #457 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
I think it's interesting that you think so many of these submissions sound like Dream Theater. I was wondering if that would happen since you said you didn't listen to a lot of prog metal. Quite a few other people I've known or conversed with online had a similar experience, and then as they listened to the bands more, they didn't think they sounded so much like DT.

It's all little bits and pieces; I totally understand what you mean.  I don't think Marillion and Genesis sound anything alike, but you can pick little things out (the intro to "He Knows You Know") and say "oh that's...".    With the songs I heard - and there were three or four songs where there was that "moment" - I didn't know them or their catalogue very well, so it was the thing that I latched on to.   I have no doubt that many of those bands have more to them than what I heard.   That they were instrumental also factors in; the vocals would probably distinguish greatly, but I don't have that (and I purposefully didn't listen to anything else, because I didn't want to be swayed by vocals that weren't a part of this.)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #458 on: November 15, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »
That whole God Is An Astronaut album is one of my all-time favorites, Stadler. Every track is brilliant, but 'When Everything Dies' is the champion to my ears and hopefully you hear it someday.
When Everything Dies is a pretty perfect ending to a pretty perfect post rocl album :angel: I would definitely recommend checking out the album Stadler, I'm pretty confident you'll like it given that you liked the track I sent.

With 2 rounds to go, and a 2 point lead, this is Home's to lose.
Yep. I keep hoping to close the gap but it doesn't happen.
Well I'm not too certain about this round, and I have screwed up near the end of roulettes before, so who knows, 2 points is not that big a difference...
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
Stadler, would love to see what was sent by everyone for this round. Can you post when everyone is in?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #460 on: November 18, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
Yeah, this 2 weeks between rounds is a bit much. Participants shouldn't take a week to submit. Let's whichever two of you aren't being prompt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #461 on: November 18, 2017, 03:42:07 PM »
i capped submission wait at 72 hours and everyone else who didn't send by that time would get less listens

i only had to apply the rule once because all my participants were good little boys who sent their songs on time and the one person who sent late got theirs in only a few hours after  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #462 on: November 18, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »
I don’t know; I sent already :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #463 on: November 19, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
 :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #464 on: November 19, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Maybe peiple haven’t sent yet, because the title still says ‘Round 5’, while we are at round 7 already?  :justjen
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: November 19, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Eliott Smith - "Because"
Dreamscape - "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes"
Lords of Black - "Innuendo"
Audioslave - "Billy Jean"
Redemption - "Love To Love"
Silversun - "Xanadu"
SHEL - "Battle of Evermore"
Meliah Rage - "Halo of Flies"
Dirty Loops - "Circus"
Cory Henry - "Crazy"

I got the last one in yesterday.  I'll do my best to turn it around by tomorrow.  If not Tuesday; I'm traveling for work so I'll have time. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: November 19, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
Well alright.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #467 on: November 19, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
The Billie Jean cover is not by Audioslave, but Chris Cornell doing it solo.
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: November 19, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
Dirty Loops?? What kind of a name is Dirty Loops? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: November 19, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
That might be a different link and not part of the roulette.  Sorry.

(:)  I'm kidding; it's what I was given)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #470 on: November 19, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
Maybe peiple haven’t sent yet, because the title still says ‘Round 5’, while we are at round 7 already?  :justjen
you probably should still update the thread title though stads  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #471 on: November 19, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »
Just checked the Dirty Loops. Oh my. 

Watch it win...   :P

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #472 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
Dirty Loops is the group that does really out there reharmonizations of pop songs, right?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #473 on: November 19, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »
Seems that way, not too shabby either, love that funk sound personally. Reminds me, why didn't I even think of going with Post Modern Jukebox, those singers alone should win any roulette round.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #474 on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »
I was really close to sending Post Modern Jukebox, but there was so much to choose from.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #475 on: November 20, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »
Oh boy. I'm in the wrong roulette.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #476 on: November 20, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
I was really close to sending Post Modern Jukebox, but there was so much to choose from.

I probably would've gone with Dream On...Morgan James is a god tier vocalists, and in that song she pretty much blows away anything that anybody ever sang. Ever.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #477 on: November 20, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »
Oh wait, is the Dream On cover that I've been hearing. Holy shit, does that suck!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS
« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
Well, let me say, two solid rounds of music in a row, now, and I have to sincerely thank you guys for putting in the time and sending some quality stuff.   Just so you know, and so I don’t repeat it ten times, my idea of a good cover is one that catches the essence of the original.  It need not be note-perfect recreation, and it need not be a radical reinvention, but it has to capture a thread from the original.  Most of these got that; what amazes me about that is that I’ve heard EVERY song before (meaning the originals) and some of you hit some of my favorite songs of all time.   I think four or five of them are in my top five of that band’s original work.  And so to hear other bands seem to so consistently capture the good part of songs I already thought were good made for some really interesting listening.

Kingshmegland:    Silversun – “Xanadu”:   One of my favorite Rush tunes of all time, and one of my favorite songs in this round.   I love “Black Diamond”, Kiss as covered by the Replacements, and this song really reminded me of that in a good way.   Gritty, grungy, dirty, in all the ways that Rush decidedly isn’t, so the band brought something new and relevant to the table, and yet they captured that essence of the original, which to me is that idea of lush, decadent, almost pagan excess.  You really nailed this song in your description:  epic Rush distilled down to four minutes of fun and energy.   9

Antigoon:   Cory Henry – “Crazy”:   So let me say two things:  one, I have to admire your guts (I was going to say “balls” but as I’ve never seen them and hopefully never do, it would be a lie to say I admire them) with your song choices.  If I had to give an initial impression based on perception alone, you wouldn’t have scored over a four, but you’re nailing it (for the most part) and you seem to have found my guilty pleasure, very well-played extremely melodic pop.    Two, while it’s not my genre, really, I love the original.  Melody for days and just a perfect vocal.   This song kind of hits the sweet spot of all that I’ve experienced in your submissions before.   I think this is the fun part of “much of guys in a room”, without the annoying pretension.  That woman just stands there and sings, and it’s glorious.  Not perfect – it wasn’t clear to me if the song was selected as a goof or not (which I don’t dig at all) – but they seemed to be in tune with it and got to the heart of it anyway.  8

Jingle.boy:  Lords of Black – “Innuendo”:   One of my favorite songs by Queen, off my second or third favorite Queen album.  Now, you started with two strikes against you – I can count on one penis how many singers can do Freddie justice with a song like this, and Robert Plant already nailed an amazing cover of this song and captured the Kashmir-like soul of it perfectly even if his vocals weren’t perfect.    You had something going for you, though I didn’t realize it at the time (Ronnie Romero).    This was really good.   Romero doesn’t sound anything like Mercury except that, well, he does in his power and range.   He also brings that vibe to it, of a caravan in the desert, motion, traveling, searching… Dio brought the same thing to Stargazer (which Romero also famously covered).  8.5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: November 20, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
TAC:  Meliah Rage – “Halo of Flies”:  The only song of the round that I hadn’t heard before, and one of two songs (Circus is the other) that I went back and listened to the original as well as the cover.   Well, I have good news and bad news.   The good?  I fell in love with the original and will be ordering the album once I get home from my trip.   I want to hear the rest right now!    The bad?  While the band got the essence – the swirl and buzz of the original, figuratively and literally the “halo of flies” – it’s a bit too… metallic in the sense that the Alice version is dirty and oily and almost uncomfortable.  I almost didn’t even get the “Sound of Music” quote when I heard the cover, and yet in the Alice version that verse stuck out (in a good way) like a sore thumb, and kind of slammed home that distinctly Alice way of tweaking and honoring at the same time, almost making the entire song.   This was the hardest song to score, BY FAR, because I wanted to reward you for enlightening me – which was your stated goal - but also reflect that the cover itself slightly missed the mark.   8

Mosh:  Dirty Loops – “Circus”:  Second most eclectic mix of songs in the roulette, and I thank you for that.   In some cases that has worked for you, but here, unfortunately, it didn’t.    I couldn’t figure out if the cover was snarky and ironic or not, and it kind of ruined the vibe for me.  I’m one of those that doesn’t think Britney is a joke, and I think – while our Mancunian friend Dave takes it a little further than I do – that she’s a lot smarter and self-aware than her tabloid drama let on.  When she sings about the “Circus”, she’s not kidding and I think the original of this is a lot deeper than the genre implies.   I don’t think the cover here recognized that, and as such I think it missed the mark.  Yeah, it was well-played, but the vocal seemed to me to miss the point entirely.   7

Lonestar:  SHEL – “Battle of Evermore”:   Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, and this is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs.   Zep is often dismissed as plodding metal monsters, but that, I think, is wrong.  They were troubadours in the best and truest sense of the word.  When Plant says “Nah, nah, leave it in” on Physical Graffiti (in reference to the airplane overhead) you got the vibe that it was four guys in an English garden playing whatever felt right.  The Battle of Evermore is that vibe as well, and this version captures that perfectly.   I love the vocal arrangements; not that far from the original, but maintaining that choir-like separation of voices (in my opinion the reason they brought Sandy Denny in to sing on it in the first place).   Faithful to the original and the Wilson sisters famous cover, but having an earthiness that can’t be faked, and the elasticity of performance that so few Zeppelin covers capture (and why most Zeppelin covers blow badly, in my opinion.)    8.5

Elite:  Chris Cornell – “Billie Jean”:   Wow.  I feel bad for you and (from Ariich’s roulette) I know how you feel.  This should have been a slam dunk.  I love Cornell.  Soundgarden, Temple…, solo.  I just saw him with TotD, and he SLAYED a set that was half covers (for him), including a killer “Achilles Last Stand” and Nilsson’s “Jump Into The Fire”.   I also like Michael Jackson, and although I like “Off The Wall” better, I grew up with Thriller, and Billie Jean – with it’s very adult, almost subversive message – was a favorite.   But I don’t like how Cornell treats this.   It starts well, with the somber vocal and sparse guitar, but when he goes to the upper register, and uses that sort of out of rhythm “strum”, it loses the essence for me, which is a somber reflection of being a father and all that that means, good and bad.  Compare and contrast this with his take (from Songbook) of one of the most beautiful love songs ever, “Thank You” from Zeppelin.  (No points off, but also a big thumbs down to the hipster crowd clapping and “Woo-ing!” at inopportune moments to show how cool they are.)   7.5

v_clortho:  Redemption – “Love To Love”:   I love U.F.O. and I love to love “Love to Love”, one of my top five favorite U.F.O. songs.   When Phil Mogg sings “Misty green and blue…” it’s achingly beautiful.   I don’t think it is, but if “Strangers…” is the best live rock album ever, it’s in large part due to Side Two – “Mother Mary”, “This Kid’s”, and “Love To Love”.   This cover nails it.   The vocal, while not sounding like Phil, nails that ache, that yearning, but the music has a current fresh take to it, combining the important guitar with beautifully evocative keyboards.   9

Lethean:  Dreamscape – “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes”:    Nice call!   My second favorite Ultravox song (behind the obvious “Vienna”) and one of the songs they played at Live Aid.    Big fan of Midge Ure, even if I don’t love everything about Ultravox (the sterility, the coldness of everything but Ure’s voice, though that may have been the point).    This is a great example of capturing the essence; it’s a little fuller than the Ultravox version, and there are any number of instrumental flourishes – not all of them good – but they do get the apocalyptic bleakness of the original (I understand the original to be a man contemplating nuclear annihilation).   Plus, they’re working with a melody that really sticks with you.  9

Home:  Elliot Smith – “Because”:   Always dangerous ground covering the Beatles (my favorite band, by the way).  There are a few exceptions, but while there are a number of great Beatles covers, they rarely surpass the masters.  This isn’t one of them, but it comes close.    Smith does a nice job with this, layering his vocals similarly to the Beatles (Paul, John and George each recorded three tracks, making nine total).   It’s not a note for note version though; some of the harmony vocals opt for a minor note and it gives the piece a melancholy that is in the Beatles version, but is far more pronounced here.  John always claimed the words spoke for themselves and there was no hidden meaning or subtlety, but I don’t buy that.   On its original place on Abbey Road, the lushness of the vocals and very pure sentiment, in a time when the Beatles were feeling anything but love, and the rest of the characters on the album were, shall we say, troubled, lent a whiff of sadness that I think Smith captures nicely here.  A sadness that, depending on your take on events, Smith shared.   8

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: November 20, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
Home                   58
Lethean                57
jingle.boy             56
v_clortho              56
Kingshmegland      55.5
lonestar                55
elite                      54.5
TAC                      54
antigoon               53
Mosh                    52

I'm kind of regretting it, because the themes seemed to give more interesting songs, but last round:  8:00 plus.   Bring it!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #481 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »
Knew I shoulda sent the Babymetal cover....

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
I was wavering between the Redemption song and Motley Crue's version of "Helter Skelter" or Trans Siberian Orchestra's cover of Savatage's "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #483 on: November 20, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
Mosh:  Dirty Loops – “Circus”:  Second most eclectic mix of songs in the roulette, and I thank you for that.   In some cases that has worked for you, but here, unfortunately, it didn’t.    I couldn’t figure out if the cover was snarky and ironic or not, and it kind of ruined the vibe for me.  I’m one of those that doesn’t think Britney is a joke, and I think – while our Mancunian friend Dave takes it a little further than I do – that she’s a lot smarter and self-aware than her tabloid drama let on.  When she sings about the “Circus”, she’s not kidding and I think the original of this is a lot deeper than the genre implies.   I don’t think the cover here recognized that, and as such I think it missed the mark.  Yeah, it was well-played, but the vocal seemed to me to miss the point entirely.   7
I like Britney and the song fits her style very well. I thought the cover was done with reverence although you're right that the vocals lack the confidence and bravado that elevate the original (for me it makes up for that in other places).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #484 on: November 20, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »
That's one of my favorite Rush covers.  The other is by Jacob Noon, an acoustic cover of Subdivisions.

https://youtu.be/W4vd9OVLO7Q
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2017, 04:20:08 PM »
I almost sent this one, Allegaeon's extreme metal cover of Subdivisions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnyNjQVEZ4

Offline Lethean

« Reply #486 on: November 20, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »

Lethean:  Dreamscape – “Dancing With Tears In My Eyes”:    Nice call!   My second favorite Ultravox song (behind the obvious “Vienna”) and one of the songs they played at Live Aid.    Big fan of Midge Ure, even if I don’t love everything about Ultravox (the sterility, the coldness of everything but Ure’s voice, though that may have been the point).    This is a great example of capturing the essence; it’s a little fuller than the Ultravox version, and there are any number of instrumental flourishes – not all of them good – but they do get the apocalyptic bleakness of the original (I understand the original to be a man contemplating nuclear annihilation).   Plus, they’re working with a melody that really sticks with you.  9

Wow did I get lucky. Confession time: I never heard of the original song (or Ultravox at all) when I heard this cover on Dreamscape's album Very. I guess I assumed that maybe they were popular in Europe but not here, but that's probably a bad assumption.  I didn't think you'd be familiar with the song, but wanted to go with it anyway since it's a bit different than some others I'd considered. Glad you liked it so much. :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #487 on: November 20, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »
I almost sent this one, Allegaeon's extreme metal cover of Subdivisions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnyNjQVEZ4

OH yeah,  I haven't hear this one in a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #488 on: November 20, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
This was the other one I was itching to send....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d98KQ2DsiQ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #489 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
TAC:  Meliah Rage – “Halo of Flies”:

OK.... Let's go through this.

While the band got the essence – the swirl and buzz of the original, figuratively and literally the “halo of flies” – it’s a bit too… metallic in the sense that the Alice version is dirty and oily and almost uncomfortable.

I actually thought that might be an issue. But this is actually my all time favorite Alice Cover, and yes that includes Ronnie Dio's Welcome To My Nightmare and Bruce Dickinson's The Black Widow (which is AWESOME!!). Not surprised t hear you thought it was too metal.

This was the hardest song to score, BY FAR, because I wanted to reward you for enlightening me – which was your stated goal -

Then do it!  ;D

Yes, it is my goal to spread the gospel of Alice Cooper, especially the original Alice Cooper band. The most underrated classic rock band.

- but also reflect that the cover itself slightly missed the mark.   

I actually think it was the score itself that missed the mark.  :P

I fell in love with the original and will be ordering the album once I get home from my trip.   I want to hear the rest right now! 

Great, then my work is done!  :)

Order School's Out while you are at it. While you may be familiar with the title track, no other song on that album has gotten any airplay, and the title track doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. I consider School's Out and Killer essential albums. They are the 4th and 5th albums of the original band's 7 album run. They are the true pinnacle of the band's career. Both are Ezrin albums as well.