Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 37977 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 4 RESULTS
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2017, 09:53:58 AM »
Tim... are you a writer for Wikipedia?  Your writeup is dryer than a popcorn-fart.

Did you take an extra asshole pill today?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
Tim... are you a writer for Wikipedia?  Your writeup is dryer than a popcorn-fart.

Seriously, at that level of dickitry, he's in danger of getting his Canadian citizenship revoked.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
That's not very nice eh.

Eh.

Eh?

Eh :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »

I'm surprised you know what Wikipedia is.  I had to throw in that 2nd line just so I'd be sure you realized it was an insult.   :biggrin:

And no, just the opposite... I'm in an absolutely fantastic mood today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:49 AM »
Here's a ton of goodness all in one place.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-WHslFhbU  I'm surprised this hasn't reared it's ugly head yet.

I personally love the man-made echo effects in the first song. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
Chad posted it.  You old.......  Wait a second.  My score is in your hands!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
Here's a ton of goodness all in one place.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-WHslFhbU  I'm surprised this hasn't reared it's ugly head yet.

I personally love the man-made echo effects in the first song.

My ears... the goggle do nothing!

LOL at the dude that lost his bass at 4:20.

King... pay attention - it was a compilation of multiple clips.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2017, 11:04:50 AM »
I stopped 5 Seconds in!  You cant blame me. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #393 on: October 31, 2017, 11:37:36 AM »
Here this cover should save things...

(wait for the little girl's scream...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4aGXTHo7w

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: October 31, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
Here this cover should save things...

(wait for the little girl's scream...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4aGXTHo7w

Yeah, seen that before. Thanks for the re-post. It’s 10 lbs of awesome in a 5-lb bag.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #395 on: October 31, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
Is anyone else really sick of hearing about sons of apollo

If the band members were nonames who put out the exact same album there probably would be 2 or 3 people on the entire site who heard it ever  ::)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #396 on: October 31, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Wrong thread?

---

Oh, I sent Jeff Buckley:

I had a really hard time trying to figure out what to send, until I just figured I'd check the RnR HOF Website for their database and search for some artists I thought would be in there. This guy is not, and while I get that he's not exactly 'rock 'n roll', there's no denying his influence and his legacy. Having reached an almost legendary status by releasing just one album before his sad passing, I figured this would be a great addition, even though by now (more than 20 years after his death) it would be a little too late. You might have heard of this guy before, he's well known for his cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. I personally believe that's one of the weaker songs on the record; it's his own songs he really shines on. Here's the title-track, 'Grace'
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #397 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
nah absolutely the right thread

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #398 on: October 31, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
I sent A Tribe Called Quest 'cause a. they're dope; b. I don't really listen to much r&r hall of fame-type bands and I needed a different angle; c. they are iconic and highly influential and deserve it (in my opinion) based on the other rap groups that have made it in.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2017, 11:57:33 PM »
OK some quick insight into why I chose Television:

With the Rock Hall moving deeper into the 90's, I think it's time to look back at some of the influential punk, post punk, and new wave music that influenced many of the 90s heavy hitters. Seeing Radiohead on the nominees list reminded me of my reaction to seeing Metallica on the nominees list: no question they deserve to be in, but what about the bands that created Metallica? Same goes for Radiohead. Television was not active very long, but their album Marquee Moon is a classic that has greatly influenced the likes of Radiohead and many of the other alternative rock bands of the 90s. They are one of those bands that never got a lot of public attention, but they should be inducted as architects of a genre that came after their time (same goes with a lot of 70s/80s Metal bands, but I'm assuming Stadler is familiar with most of those).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »
I'm with you on all of that.   Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam are in, but Jane's Addiction and Soundgarden are not?   Mofo, please. 

According to many, the primary factor for the Hall is "influence" and yet, there is example after example of artists that have influence legions of musicians and are either out or are straggling in, and yet a band like Blondie is in?  Again, mofo, please. 

Robert Fripp is probably the most egregious example here.  He basically started an entire genre, and conducted the master class and tended the crucible for bands as varied as ELP, Yes, Genesis, Asia, Hall And Oates, Peter Gabriel.   He started an entire genre for god's sake, and has advanced the instrument himself with his League of Crafty Guitarists, even inventing his own tuning!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #401 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
Kingshmegland:    Styx – “Red Storm”:     I liked this.  At first I wasn’t too impressed; I didn’t care for the ready nature of Tommy’s vocals, but then I realized that it was part of the song, and a sort of calm before the (red) storm.  As I said before, always tough to drop into the middle of a concept album and settle in, and it took a while, but this was good.  I was never a huge Styx fan – didn’t get far into any of the “American” prog, to be honest – but I have the greatest hits, and this was a nice reminder that they are a great band, they are, likely, HoF material, and they are still making relevant music.  7.5

Antigoon:   A Tribe Called Quest – “Dis Generation”:   This is a song that rewards repeated listening.   I hated it the first time out, but it has revealed new things each time I’ve listened, and while it’s not really my thing, I get the artistry here, and am very impressed by the way the song has been crafted.   It seems to be written by about 62 people (actually, 16), and sung by about 48 (credits say 4, I count about 6), but it’s cohesive, and it works.  I LOVED the background track, both the calm matter-of-factness of the guitar lines and the etherealness of the keyboard washes, which contrasted nicely with the timeliness and timelessness of what I perceived the message to be.  And that message; yeah, there’s the obligatory “n****” with an “a”, but there’s real meat to these words and there’s a real artistry to the way the cosmic point is made with mundane, daily references.  Isn’t that what a “generation” is?   Plus, how can you not love a song that name drops David Blaine, Richard Todd, and Doug Henning???    8

Jingle.boy:  Triumph – “Headed For Nowhere”:   This was an interesting song; I was really excited to hear this, and while I can’t admit to thinking of “Triumph” when I think of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it’s not an outrageous suggestion.   I expected more though; I’m assuming this is Gil Moore singing, and I’m always a fan of mixing it up, but his voice sounds kind of generic compared to Rik Emmett’s.   Didn’t he sing for Poison or Winger or someone like that? (I’m kidding).    This was solid hard rock – loved the solo – but this isn’t going to get me to take up the cause of getting them inducted.    7.5

TAC:  Thin Lizzy – “Emerald”:   Another band I SHOULD love, but just don’t.   This is saved by Brian Robertson (who I love; check out his Motorhead album – Another Perfect Day – or the two Wild Horses albums he did with Jimmy Bain).   I really can’t get past Phil’s voice, in fact, I hate his voice, but I know the song is a good one, because I’ve heard Ace Frehley cover it on his recent covers album.  No points taken or given, but this is also a good discussion point:  does Thin Lizzy get in?  HIGHLY influential, and a breeding ground for great guitar players (Moore; Robertson; Snowy White; John Sykes; hell, Midge Ure!) but other than two songs, hardly cracked the U.S. market.  I may be biased – they influenced Maiden, and that can’t be a bad thing - but I say YES given some of the other acts that are in.  7.5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
Mosh:  Television – “Venus”:  This is a ballsy pick in general (given what I said about Vulpeck) but even more so in the context of this round’s theme.   I have a general theory that bands are as popular as they deserve; I do not (generally) agree with the notion that “if only people heard [X], they’d be as popular as U2!”.   And couple that with the general theory that I have that the RnRHoF is an “In Crowd” (to its detriment), and I’m prone to hate this.  Robert Christgau gave this an A+, and favorably compared the guitar playing to Eric Clapton and Jerry Garcia, which doesn’t help.  I thought the song was okay.   Its not lost on me that the whole NY scene is hopelessly intertwined.  Fred Smith was in television, married to Patty Smith (literally the most overrated figure in music, in my opinion), and they toured with Blondie, were produced by Eno… you get the idea.   It’s almost like the music is secondary.    Like 90% of the songs in this roulette, I thought the song was good, I though the playing was good (actually, very good at times), and I thought the vocals were the albatross. For reasons above, I’m not sure I agree on “RnRHoF”, but…   7

Lonestar:  The Cure – “10:15 Saturday Night”:   I like, not love, The Cure, despite having seen them live and having been blown away by them.   Three hours, well-played, and Robert Smith wore a Whalers shirt most of the show.  I have a singles compilation and Disintegration, and I LOVE Disintegration (Porl Thompson was the second guitar player on the Page and Plant tour I saw, and the band did “Lullaby”).    This isn’t the part of The Cure I like best, though.  Creative - I love how the cymbals mark out the ticking of the clock -  but it’s just a shade too reliant on Smith’s vocals, and as such, a shade too sparse for me.  7

Elite:  Jeff Buckley – “Grace”:  One of the two songs I was REALLY looking forward to.  I know this would make me a (bigger) dick, but if you sent Hallelujah, I would have given a 2 on principle; can’t think of a more overplayed, overwrought, overrated piece of pretentiousness.   It’s easy for me to not like this, because it is so highly regarded by the pop music cognoscente and anything Rolling Stone raves about is immediately suspect to me.  But I've heard SO much about Buckley that I feel I have to at least be aware of it.    So I listened to Grace (and Last Goodbye) and I was suitably impressed.  I knew about his death, but I knew very little about his life, and digging in – his session work, his love of Zeppelin, Kiss, and Genesis – it fleshed things out in a way that really impressed.   No, I’m not rating this highly just because Jimmy Page likes it, but I am rating it this highly because it’s rare when an artist can touch so many people, and even if a couple of hipsters get caught in there, it doesn’t make them wrong.   This was enlightening, almost on a level of the DTP song.   9

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
v_clortho:  Soul Asylum – “Gullible’s Travels”:   Never been hugely into the Minnesota scene.  I was amused by the Replacements’ cover of Black Diamond by Kiss, I have moderately liked the music I have heard from bands like Husker Du, and Paul Westerberg has impressed mostly because of his writing (check out the Glen Campbell record “Ghost on the Canvas”).   I’m familiar with Grave Dancer’s Union (well, the three singles from it), and thought it was very good, not great.   This is certainly in keeping with that.  Having said that, this song was written by the guitar player, and is, as I understand it, one of the few.  Dave Pirner’s voice is sort of undistinctive – kind of typical for that scene - but I dug some of the guitar playing in this; the solo was cool and I really like the breakdown part that started around 2:15.  Nice texture to an otherwise unassuming but pleasant song.   7.5

Lethean:  Judas Priest – “Cathedral Spires”:    The other of the songs I was REALLY looking forward to.  I love Priest, first concert ever, and have every non-Ripper album really liked this.  I didn’t expect the band to just forget how to write without Rob, but what I had seen/heard was a little too cartoony for me (Jugulator?).  But this seemed to have promise.    I listened to it once and hated it, then listened again, and liked it a lot more, then listened to it again, and kept hearing parts that reminded me of other songs…   I always knew he had the scream down pat, but I’m still surprised at how much his midrange sounds like Rob, even if it lacks sort of the pizzazz and vibe of Rob.   Ironically, one of the things I didn’t like was how little the guitars sounded like the Priest I know and love (think of the intro to “Devil’s Child”).  I’ll rate them, but of the bands I received, probably the one I agree with most in terms of the theme.   7.5

Home:  Linkin Park – “One More Light”:  Not really a Linkin Park fan, and I will confess to being stunned at the fact that their debut sold in excess of 10 million units.   I get the emotion surrounding the whole Chris Cornell thing and Chester’s reaction to that (even if I don’t understand the reaction itself).   I had not heard this before, but I have to say, forget about the theme for a second, this is a pretty heavy duty song, and almost everything I love about music generally.   There’s no “genre” here, there’s no competition here, there no commerce here, just pure emotion, and pure connectivity.   Now, I would be me if I didn’t qualify it, but while I get the limitations of the roulette (The Cars, Maiden, Jane’s Addiction, Soundgarden, all out because of the banned list) I have a hard time supporting this band in this category because of an incredibly impactful event in the band’s life.    Not taking points away, though, so…   8.5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
Home          41.5
Lethean       40
jingle.boy    39.5
elite             39
King             38
TAC             38
lonestar        37.5
v_clortho      37.5
Mosh            37
antigoon        36

And for those that care, in my own personal order of who should be in:
Judas Priest
The Cure
Thin Lizzy (but all the guitar players have to go in ala The Dead keyboard players; none of this Sabbath/Kiss original member bullshit)
A Tribe Called Quest
------
Styx  (these guys are literally the dividing line on who I think should be in; this one could go either way)
------
Triumph
Linkin Park
Soul Asylum
Television
Jeff Buckley  (Not because he's not worthy, but dude, one album)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
That is a rough score.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
I'll take a 7.5. I had a bad feeling that I was going to get much lower than that. Soul Asylum was really the only Minneapolis scene band that I got into. Never really cared about the others. Love Soul Asylums early stuff and up through Grave Dancer's Union.

Going to be hard to make up points though when all the scores are within 2 points.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: November 02, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »
The Canadian Exchange rate makes Triumph a 9.  You already know their best songs, so I'll accept your 7.5.

Cover sent. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
That is a rough score.

A bit, isn't it. I still don't understand how anybody who is a huge Iron Maiden fan can't simply love Thin Lizzy...especially Emerald. IMO, even if you don't like the vocals that tune is easily a 8.5 - 9.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #409 on: November 02, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
it's lit!

instrumental time  :coolio

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: November 02, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
it's lit!

instrumental time  :coolio

Oh yeah... right... instrumental first.  Ok, well, that's been sent too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #411 on: November 02, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
That is a rough score.

A bit, isn't it. I still don't understand how anybody who is a huge Iron Maiden fan can't simply love Thin Lizzy...especially Emerald. IMO, even if you don't like the vocals that tune is easily a 8.5 - 9.

Yup. Stadler better not even try and write one of those fancy posts with lots of punctuation and parentheses to try and confuse me to even justify it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #412 on: November 02, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »
Emerald is a 10/10. Shocked at the reaction.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: November 02, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
Yeah, Emerald is brilliant.

Nice JP song too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #414 on: November 02, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
Looking through the list I think I've only ever heard the song I sent. Is that bad?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #415 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
Yeah, Emerald is brilliant.

Nice JP song too.

It is, isn't it? I totally think Stadler should have thrown me an extra point just for how much Judas Priest should be in the hall. :P

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #416 on: November 02, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
So, am I the first person to ever send The Cure in a roulette or did Zander send it at some point?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: November 02, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
So, am I the first person to ever send The Cure in a roulette or did Zander send it at some point?

I'm asking him on Facebook.  I think he did.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: November 02, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »

Just talked to him.  Yes, he sent them a few times.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: November 02, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »

Just talked to him.  Yes, he sent them a few times.

I guarantee I'm the only one to have sent White Lion.