Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 37886 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette)
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Yeah guys.  He's a noob running one as well. :lol. Those are good questions.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
Or are we sending tapes through snail mail? 

We could do that and still wrap it up quicker that Parama's Roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »

Round 5: Song by the band you MOST think should be the very next inductee in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (the reasonableness of your believe may - or may not - factor into the score!)

This is going to be tough. I'd be shocked that any band worthy would not be familiar to Stadler.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »

Round 5: Song by the band you MOST think should be the very next inductee in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (the reasonableness of your believe may - or may not - factor into the score!)

This is going to be tough. I'd be shocked that any band worthy would not be familiar to Stadler.

pfft...  Already making excuses for your impending failure?

When all else fails, you could go with Winger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 07:45:53 PM »
So - I read the OP, but I don't really get it.  What are people supposed to be submitting?  Just songs that they like?  If so, why would submitting Ritchie Blackmore be taking their life in their hands?  Wouldn't that make them more likely to win? 

#newbie questions

For the noobs.... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43449.msg1938828#msg1938828

This was Orcus' original thread, and so the Roulette games were born - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=15208.msg527908#msg527908
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »
So - I read the OP, but I don't really get it.  What are people supposed to be submitting?  Just songs that they like?  If so, why would submitting Ritchie Blackmore be taking their life in their hands?  Wouldn't that make them more likely to win? 

#newbie questions

For the noobs.... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43449.msg1938828#msg1938828

So, that answers some questions, but... not why submitting bands that he likes would make you likely to lose.  Is it supposed to be bands that he's never heard of? 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »

#newbie questions

So, that answers some questions, but... not why submitting bands that he likes would make you likely to lose.  Is it supposed to be bands that he's never heard of?

Pretty much... it's a fun way to get introduced to new music.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
Thanks. :)

I'm in, if you still have room Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »

Splent's roulette is still waiting on the final round results  :corn

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 12:26:57 AM »
If you still have a free spot I'm in! Our music tastes aren't a great match probably but I do think I have some stuff to send. (I can't do much worse than Chris' Roulette anyway)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 04:22:13 AM »

Splent's roulette is still waiting on the final round results  :corn

You mean the one I was in the lead? :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »

#newbie questions

Based on my scores from the four or five roulettes I've done, I understand the point to be submit a new song, that I haven't heard a million times, BUT that I immediately like as much as any song I've heard a million times.    Seriously, though, the idea is to get new music to me, I score it, and the highest score gets to talk smack for a couple weeks.  I have just about everything that Blackmore has done (including early sessions before Deep Purple) so you're going to lose credit on the "new" and "that I never heard" parts. 

I answered the submitting question already, I think:  best way is Youtube link or other link via PM.  I have Spotify (free) and Apple music if that helps.  I'm willing to work with you on that, just PM me if a link by PM doesn't work for you. 

Lethean, Home, you're in. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 07:32:19 AM »
I think we're going to keep it at 10 for now; I have one submission, so I'll give you a few days to get your choice in. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 09:24:03 AM »

Stadler, can you please clarify what you are looking for?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
Bands you think should be in the RnR HOF and is your pick reasonable, meaning they should be in. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Bands you think should be in the RnR HOF and is your pick reasonable, meaning they should be in.

But how can we find a band on the cusp that Staler is not familiar with? Seems to me that every band that should reasonably be put in Stadler would know.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
obviously sons of apollo is the next band to enter the rock and roll hall of fame

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »

This pretty much says it.   Don't try to sell me that Napalm Death is the next on the list, because I'm not buying it.   But there are plenty of bands that are fair game here: 

The last inductees:
Yes, Pearl Jam - Don't bother
ELO, Journey - I have two greatest hits each; there's still a lot to work with.
Joan Baez, Tupac - Wide open; couldn't name one song after "Diamonds and Rust"

2016:
Cheap Trick, Deep Purple - Don't bother (I even have a complete set of Bun E's bootlegs)
Chicago - Have one greatest hits; there's a lot to work with.
NWA, Steve Miller - Wide open

2015:
SRV - Don't bother
Everyone else:  Wide open

Look, I'm not going to cream somebody for an honest effort.  Honestly, you guys all seem pretty cool and pretty knowledgeable; I'm more interested in who you see as the next one in, and what's a good example of their music.  A Ted Nugent deep(er) catalogue track I might have heard of,  I'm not going to throw a fit.   If you send me Europe's "The Final Countdown", you'll get the score you deserve.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
*checks iPod for Joan Baez and Tupac*   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
I think I know where I'm going with this round.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »

But how can we find a band on the cusp that Staler is not familiar with? Seems to me that every band that should reasonably be put in Stadler would know.

Jesus... again with the complaining!?!?!  You need us to call you a waaah-mbulance?  Send Alice Cooper if you need to... get a low score that is!  :footloose:

I've already got 4 "approved" by our host. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »
Stadler can we get a quick and dirty on your feelings on rap music?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »

Sucking his dick behind the scenes?

Apparently seems to be working with Chris.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
Tim, going "low blow".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »
Chad, going "blow low".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
And you call me old, Crankshaft. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »

Either love it or hate it, little in between.  I do not reject the genre outright, though.  I think there is some brilliant rap, and while I can't personally always relate, some of it is every bit as relevant as Bob Dylan was to the 60's.   I'm not one of those that says "It's the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame" not the "RAP AND ROLL Hall of Fame".  One of my favorite episodes of Sammy Hagar's RnR Road Trip was with Darryl McDaniel.  They did a COOL version of Rock Candy.   Some of it though... I just don't get it.   My kid played a song that was, no joke, pretty much some dude just yelling swear words into the mike over a beat.

And based on everything else in this thread, jingle has little if any real advantage.   And based on the songs I've gotten so far, some of you are more worried than you need to be.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
  jingle has little if any real advantage.   

That's really not news. :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »

Either love it or hate it, little in between.  I do not reject the genre outright, though.  I think there is some brilliant rap, and while I can't personally always relate, some of it is every bit as relevant as Bob Dylan was to the 60's.   I'm not one of those that says "It's the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame" not the "RAP AND ROLL Hall of Fame".  One of my favorite episodes of Sammy Hagar's RnR Road Trip was with Darryl McDaniel.  They did a COOL version of Rock Candy.   Some of it though... I just don't get it.   My kid played a song that was, no joke, pretty much some dude just yelling swear words into the mike over a beat.

And based on everything else in this thread, jingle has little if any real advantage.   And based on the songs I've gotten so far, some of you are more worried than you need to be.   

Interesting, thanks.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Stadler do you have/have heard JLB solo and side projects?

And, are there any singers that you particularly hate, or strongly dislike?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »

Sucking his dick behind the scenes?

Apparently seems to be working with Chris.

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat ... or fellate.  Potato; potahto   :lol

jingle has little if any real advantage.   

I'm gonna send the most liberal, left-wing, snowflake, hippie crap I can think of.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
Stadler, clear your inbox. It's full. No seriously, its full.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
So some lame Canadian band then. :neverusethis:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Stadler do you have/have heard JLB solo and side projects?

And, are there any singers that you particularly hate, or strongly dislike?

Janis Joplin.  "Me And Bobby McGee" (by Kris Kristofferson) is one of my five most favorite songs of all time, ever, by any musician, and yet her version is unlistenable to me.  I'm not at all a fan of the melismatic singing you see on the singing contest shows.   When someone, like Steve Harvey, says "do a little" and they launch into this melismatic extravaganza, I immediately think "You can't sing for shit".