Author Topic: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 7 RESULTS  (Read 37664 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »
Stadler, you need to clear your PMs. :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Stadler's Wheel of Fortune! (A Roulette) - ROUND 2 RESULTS
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
Kingshmegland:    Butterfly Jones - “Sunshine and Ecstacy”:     I liked this.  I don’t know that it elevates to the best of the round, but it’s a good solid pop song, the kind that makes me hold the station on SiriusXM longer than I should.   I’m also a sucker for cool harmony vocals, as at the start of the song.   It had moments where I thought it was going to veer into the cemetery of a lot of “Power Pop”, where it gets too clever for it’s own good, but the fact that I misheard the lyrics (at first) as “Sunshine and ecstacy, please have sex with me!” helped avoid that, and when I did finally get the real lyrics, the message – an unbridled optimism – had me.  It’s that joy, happiness and positivity that has drawn me into the world of many bands:  Yes, Neal Morse, Night Ranger… (Two things: One, the singer in the video that followed this looked just like Dana Carvey when he sang “Brocolli!”.  Two, King, you ran out of time; I listened to this about four times, and it started at 6 and got to 8; in another week, you’d have a 12!)    8

Antigoon:   HAIM, “Want You Back”:   I could rehash some of the things I wrote for Lorde here:  “Do I get [HAIM]? I think so;” and “Do I like [HAIM]?”, and here I can’t decide.  Nothing quite so self-conscious as Lorde, and I think that’s the difference.   I certainly want to pull Danielle aside and ask her “Name two songs from that album on your shirt”, and I feel like she can’t, but the song itself is naked in a way that’s not uncomfortable, and naïve in a way that’s not disingenuous.   I get the Michael Jackson vibe – which is a good thing – and while all I read was “channeling their inner Lindsey Buckingham!”, the touchstones with Fleetwood Mac are more ethereal than tangible.  In contrast to Lorde – “For a happy song, I’m not sure a lot of “happy” came through” – a shit tonne of happy came through, and for that it resonates.    Antigoon, I don’t want to get into a ton of rescoring; the impressions are what the impressions are, but I scored this a shade higher (a point?  Half a point?) than I would have because I feel like I didn’t do your first round justice.  8

Jingle.boy:  House of Lords, “Demons Down”:   I really liked this.  I was familiar with Gregg Giuffria’s work, and the band’s cover with “Can’t Find My Way Home” (which is EXCELLENT), but I had never heard this song (or album) before.   I liked it for what it was; good, straight forward American rock and roll.  I don’t think it broke new ground, or said anything new, but it was solid. I don't know; there isn't much to say here; they are a middle of the pack rock band, with more potential than actual success, but they put out well-played, well-written stuff that was half a step above the normal hard rock clichés.    7.5

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
TAC:  Golden Resurrection – “See My Commands”:   Yngwie indeed.  I literally listened to the instrumental demos from the first Alcatraz album this week, and this had that vibe all over it, in a good way.  I don’t at all have a hang-up about lyrics – they were okay, if not a little trite – but I do have a hang-up about credibility.  I was interested in the idea of the verses in the voice of the “man” and the chorus in the voice of “god”, but I was thrown a little by the vocals.   It kind of struck me the same way it would if, say, Udo Dirkschneider was singing early Van Halen songs.  Part of the thrill of early Van Halen was that only really David Lee Roth could pull that shit off without being even more of a clown than he was.   Instrumentally, though, this was solid as, well, The Rock.    7

Mosh:  Sheer Mag – “Can’t Stop Fighting”:  I’ve said a couple times now that “I should love this”.  Well, I should HATE this.   Not my thing at all, lyrically, stylistically, or attitudinally, but it really stuck with me after hearing it.   Doesn’t hurt that these guys (they’re not all guys; I think there are two women in the band) are now based in South Philly, where I used to live.  I think knowing that gives it an authenticity that a lot of music of this ilk lacks.  I can’t help, too, being influenced by the live version that played (on YouTube) right after, and filmed in literally a 10 foot by 12 foot living room somewhere in (as it looks from the shaky video) in South Philly.  8

Lonestar:  Anathema – “The Gathering of the Clouds”:  I think I may give Chad an aneurysm with this writeup, since it’s not going to give anything useful in terms of subsequent rounds.  I fully cop to it if this is less consistent than what you’d want, but I’m going off emotion here, and I have to have SOME distinction.     Generally, I find the new wave of prog-metal to be very same-y.   It may be my inexperience with the genre, but there’s little to distinguish some of the music that I hear in these roulettes.  But this song… it initially had the same-iness, and I was ready to give it a middle of the pack number, right along with the others, but a funny thing happened.   I kept listening to it.  It kept – and this is what did it – swirling in my head.  Get it?  Swirling?  Gathering of the clouds?   I have no idea what the album is about (the lyrics are a little at odds with the metaphor, and the next song, Lightning Song, didn’t continue the vibe for me) but this song really evoked a vivid image, and in doing so, stuck out a bit more.  8

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Elite: Muse, “Hysteria”:   I should love Muse. I should be the biggest Muse fan on the planet, and for some reason, I am not.  I recognize the talent, I recognize the innovation, but it just doesn’t always resonate.   The instrumental break at about 2:45 is just… I love it.  It’s the part of Muse that I do like, and that keeps me interested, even though I seem to get let down more often than not.   When that breakdown comes back into the chorus, it’s by far the best part of the song for me.   But the verses… that “Muse vocal” (you know what I mean) is often attributed to the “Queen influence”, but in my opinion, it just doesn’t capture the real essence of Freddie Mercury, and all his foibles.  It either has a pretention that Freddie didn’t, or doesn’t have the heart and soul that Freddie did (not for me to say).  But either way, it diminishes what, for me, could be an evocative band.  It gets the score it does for the instrumentation and the subject matter.   7.5

v_clortho:  Mozart – “The Dancing Shoe”:   Just one? Where’s the other?  I liked this.  At least they acknowledged this in the lyrics (and told us they only had the left!).   This is a band I had never heard of, but I found out it was a precursor to the The Flys, and I LOVED that song “Got You Where I Want You”.   I can’t really tell if they are joking or not, and I suspect they are somewhere in between (the musicianship is top notch, in my opinion) and the singer is awesome in a Sunset Strip circa 1987 kind of way.  Nothing deep here, no art in that sense of the word, but good clean fun, nonetheless.   7.5

Lethean:  Leprous “From The Flame”:    Another song where I can recognize the artistry, I recognize the high level of ability, but that was emotionally lacking.  I’m not sure what this was shooting for, and it didn’t help that I got a little too much “Radiohead” from it.  It’s clinically good, but can’t see myself going back to this.  I try very hard not to have expectations in a song, and I studiously avoid saying “they should have done this”, but there were too many moments in this 3:55 song that tested my resolve (case in point: 1:23 through 1:27 or so).   6.5

Home:  Biffy Clyro, “9 15ths”: “We’re on a house line, help us, help us!” I work using a house line and I love it; cell reception sucks in my basement… oh what? Wait…  No seriously, I really liked this.   I have heard of them, but not heard them, so I had the kind of preconceived notions you get with a “Scottish band named ‘Biffy Clyro’”, but it had good substance.  It built nicely, I loved the vocals, and the music fit nicely with the vibe that was being portrayed (I understand the album is about death, but I don’t know to what this song specifically refers). 8.5

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »
Home:                    17.5
jingle.boy:              16
Mosh:                    15.5
elite                       15
Kingshmegland:      15
lonestar:                15
Lethean:                14.5
TAC:                      14.5
v_clortho:              14
antigoon:               14

Tight race.  Check my math.

Next round:  LIVE SONGS, bitches!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »
Gonna get 7's every round I think. Sending a live track from one of the greatest live albums ever made.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
Don't give up; two rounds into my first roulette, and two things have struck me:

- there's a ton of good music out there.
- it's hard as shit to score this stuff.  Some songs are what they are, but some songs have a "life" to them. It's fascinating.  Just look at the score for "Sheer Mag".  I would NEVER in a MILLION YEARS listen to that, let alone like it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
Tim you Debbie Downer.

Stadler, you ever listen to the band Dada? And yes, he does look like Carvey there.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
Why would you send a leprous song from the new album, it blows  :lol

Like that's one of the better ones but it's still
Only okay at best

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
"Sheer Mag".   

Just checked it out. Hmm..

Instrumentally, it seems to have come right off of Unmasked. No wonder you liked it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »
Sheer Mag gave m vibes of Thin Lizzy and early Maiden with female vocals, which is why I picked it.

Don’t really hear an Unmasked vibe but I like that album a lot too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
Sheer Mag gave m vibes of Thin Lizzy and early Maiden with female vocals, which is why I picked it.

Don’t really hear an Unmasked vibe but I like that album a lot too.

Yeah, I heard the Thin Lizzy vibes right off.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »
Completely fair assessment of Demons Down and HoL in general. "Solid". Just happy to have beat Tim.  :biggrin:

I'm gonna take a yuge risk wth this one. Well maybe not that YUGE, but it is time for a change.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »
Completely fair assessment of Demons Down and HoL in general. "Solid". Just happy to have beat Tim.  :biggrin:

I'm gonna take a yuge rsk wth this one. Well maybe not that YUGE, but it is time for a change.

I have a huge one..er..I mean, I took a huge one. Can't wait for Stadler to examine these lyrics!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
I'm taking a chance as well.  Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lethean

« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
Why would you send a leprous song from the new album, it blows  :lol

Like that's one of the better ones but it's still
Only okay at best

The new Leprous album, like all Leprous albums before it, is awesome.  However, I chose this particular track because enough non-Leprous fans have told me how much they loved it, couldn't get it out of their heads, and then started to listen to more Leprous as a result.  So I thought it was worth a shot.  It didn't work out in this case.  But perhaps someone reading this will listen to the track, and find themselves walking around singing "you'll find me here..." with a smile on their face, and then decide to check the band out. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
Yeah the chorus is good but the rest is pretty meh for me

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
Sented.
I have a huge one..er..I mean, I took a huge one. Can't wait for Stadler to examine these lyrics!

Bragging about how you can take a huge one.  Slow down, Richard Gere.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
 :lol

Walked into that didn't I.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
Someone say gerbil?

Toilet paper roll?

Tim?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2017, 06:55:06 PM »

;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2017, 06:55:50 PM »

It's like you've been asked that before. :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »
I don't even know what you're talking about! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »

Yup... Ass first

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »

Yup... Ass first

Leave it to you to find my ass.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
Hard to when you offer it up all the time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2017, 07:17:25 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2017, 07:19:13 PM »
Chad's the one riding.  I'm just the peanut gallery.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
I'm just the peanut gallery.  :lol

Truer words have never been spoken. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:44 PM »
So you're calling me small and thin.

Cool.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
And pretty. You forgot pretty.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:19 PM »
Well Duh.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
you guys bicker like a bunch of third graders.

Very good assessment of that song, though it should be heard in context especially after listening to the first two songs on the album Untouchable Pt1 & 2. I think most of the DTFers will agree it's one of the best four song runs out there.

And sent....my favorite band...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
I get all tingly for The Storm Before The Calm.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2017, 09:00:43 PM »
I get all tingly for The Storm Before The Calm.

I still have to hold back manly tears during Lightning Song, especially when I'm singing in at full voice while driving.

Fuck I love music.