Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464306 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #6160 on: February 10, 2020, 10:02:29 AM »
I thought the NYC show the other night was about what I expected. Their material just comes across better live, I was singing the chorus of Goodbye Divinity to myself all weekend. Bumblefoot is still my favorite member of the band to watch on stage. His playing is spot on and his vocals sound great. Mike is his usual showman self, and Billy is very solid. Derek seemed more into it than the first time I saw them. He still kind of has RBF :lol but he seemed to be rocking out a bit more. JSS is a consummate frontman, but his vocals started struggling in the second half of the set. He did rebound nicely for the encore though, which I very much enjoyed (particularly jamming on Burn with Tony Macalpine). Overall definitely glad I went and caught the show, I'd say they're worth seeing if you even kind of enjoy the albums. Personally I'd probably bump MMXX up from a 5 to a 6.5 or 7 after seeing the songs live.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6161 on: February 24, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »
Here it is! The brand new video for "Asphyxiation" from MMXX. Watch the full video here: https://youtu.be/NmyVURsqtFE

The European tour begins this Friday, February 28th in Germany and we can't wait to see you all there.

Full tour dates and tickets here: https://sonsofapollo.com/live/
VIP Packages here: https://sonsofapollo.com/vip-tickets/

Europe 2020
Fri 2/28 Karlsuhe, Germany Crystal Ballroom (Sold Out)
Sat 2/29 Karlsruhe, Germany Crystal Ballroom (Sold Out)
Mon 3/2 Drammen, Norway Union Scene
Tue 3/3 Gothenburg, Sweden Traedgarn
Thu 3/5 Kyiv, Ukraine N.A.U Theatre
Sat 3/7 Moscow, Russia RED
Sun 3/8 St Petersburg, Russia Aurora
Tue 3/10 Pratteln, Switzerland Z7
Wed 3/11 Milan, Italy Live Club
Fri 3/13 Bilbao, Spain Santana 27
Sat 3/14 Barcelona, Spain Razzmatazz 2
Sun 3/15 Madrid, Spain La Riviera
Tue 3/17 Marseille, France Cepac Silo
Wed 3/18 Paris, France Machine du Moulin Rouge
Thu 3/19 London, U.K. Islington Assembly Hall
Fri 3/21 Eindhoven, Netherlands Prognosis Festival
Sun 3/22 Show Brno, Czech Republic Sono
Tue 3/24 Kosice, Slovakia Colosseum
Wed 3/25 Budapest, Hungary Barba Negra

South America 2020
Sat 4/18 São Paulo, Brazil Tom Brasil
Sun 4/19 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Circo Voador
Tues 4/21 Santiago, Chile Blondie
Thu 4/23 Buenos Aires, Argentina eatro Flores

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6162 on: February 24, 2020, 05:14:59 PM »
I don't know where they played in Rio in 2018, but the venue they're playing there on this tour is gorgeous, and fits over 2,000 people.

Anyway, check out this song, the title track of Derek's solo album Blood of the Snake. At 3:45, there's the genesis of God of the Sun: https://youtu.be/MNuMmI0Rof4

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6163 on: February 29, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6164 on: March 01, 2020, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6165 on: March 01, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
What the HELL was that?!?!

Fun? FUN?!?!?!

I don't want my bands having fun. I don't go there to watch a band act like idiot children. I go to watch them play perfectly. I want them to focus on being 100% accurate to album. I want to watch the band play and sound EXACTLY like the album. I want to stand as still as I can, watching a band mostly stand still focusing completely on technical perfection.

But this? This....ugh....fun? Pathetic!

#MPsucks
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6166 on: March 01, 2020, 11:49:03 AM »

Fun? FUN?!?!?!

I don't want my bands having fun. I don't go there to watch a band act like idiot children. I go to watch them play perfectly. I want them to focus on being 100% accurate to album. I want to watch the band play and sound EXACTLY like the album. I want to stand as still as I can, watching a band mostly stand still focusing completely on technical perfection.

#MPsucks

Yeah seriously, why can't more bands be like King Crimson?!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6167 on: March 02, 2020, 08:17:19 AM »

Fun? FUN?!?!?!

#MPsucks

That's your opinion, right? I simply loved that video!!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #6168 on: March 02, 2020, 08:19:45 AM »

Fun? FUN?!?!?!

#MPsucks

That's your opinion, right? I simply loved that video!!!!

Oh sorry man, I was being ironic. I don't like Sons of Apollo, but that was a cool video and wish they focused more on the fun than they currently do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6169 on: March 02, 2020, 08:24:46 AM »
Nephews of Apollo:
https://www.facebook.com/116713035013014/posts/3865103643507249/?vh=e&d=n
Aaand... Derek is smiling!

That's pretty awesome.  I first thought that was just like messing around during sound check but nope, they did that during the encore  :lol so cool. 

Also, I saw Derek smiling with a cheeseburger on twitter so he is human after all  :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #6170 on: March 02, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »
Also, while I truly do not like or enjoy the majority of their live release, I recently rewatched the Van Halen cover and enjoyed that a lot.

My opinion? That's what they should do. Fun party rock music and have a live show to match. Making it semi-technical metal that sounds like elements of DT is just not doing much for me, or apparently, a lot of other people. They seem to thrive when having a good fun time. Just do that! The prog market doesn't really have much in that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6171 on: March 02, 2020, 10:25:05 AM »
Also, while I truly do not like or enjoy the majority of their live release, I recently rewatched the Van Halen cover and enjoyed that a lot.

My opinion? That's what they should do. Fun party rock music and have a live show to match. Making it semi-technical metal that sounds like elements of DT is just not doing much for me, or apparently, a lot of other people. They seem to thrive when having a good fun time. Just do that! The prog market doesn't really have much in that way.
I think it's a balancing act. I really enjoy watching them play their more serious musical/prog elements since they do have the chops and are top notch musicians. They also have the ability to be a really fun party type band while playing great music at the same time.  JSS is the perfect frontman for putting on a show and making the audience smile.  I agree about the Van Halen cover, that was all sorts of awesomeness!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

« Reply #6172 on: March 02, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »

I think it's a balancing act. I really enjoy watching them play their more serious musical/prog elements since they do have the chops and are top notch musicians. They also have the ability to be a really fun party type band while playing great music at the same time.  JSS is the perfect frontman for putting on a show and making the audience smile.  I agree about the Van Halen cover, that was all sorts of awesomeness!!

But you have 100 other bands you can watch to enjoy technical playing. They're not bringing anything new to the table in that sense. But a fun party prog rock band? The market is lacking much of that. So while you'd be losing almost nothing, you'd be gaining a lot. Plus, JSS is really losing a lot of his voice for the more serious technical prog music. It's among the biggest complaints about the band. But him in the audience singing and posing for pictures mid song and moving around like a fun guy? That tends to get good reviews. Again, they all have other bands to focus on the more serious stuff and some more technical stuff. It'd be cool if this could just be fun.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:34:18 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6173 on: March 02, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »

But you have 100 other bands you can watch to enjoy technical playing. They're not bringing anything new to the table in that sense. But a fun party prog rock band? The market is lacking much of that. So while you'd be losing almost nothing, you'd be gaining a lot.

You may have a point, this reminds me of the NYC show where before the encore MP started drumming We Are Family but JSS started singing YMCA.  It was clearly just a fun improv thing that got them both to joke with each other since they weren't doing the same song.  Plus BS dancing  :lol https://youtu.be/hMJ4kUNU4os?t=19  But I mean, they can't do a full set of just joking around, that would be a turn off to a lot of people I think so it's a balance.  Also though, i think this is why it's often worth to see MP bands live.  They are still a band that plays off feel and vibe, even with the same set list each night, it's not to a click and it's up to MP to control the tempo and feel.  There's a lot more energy in the room for these shows than DT shows IMO which helps the fun rock show compared to the prog show of a lot of bands. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #6174 on: March 02, 2020, 10:41:10 AM »
I don't think they're shows should be joking around. But the song I referenced was a Van Halen song. A real legit song that isn't goofy and stupid (though it is a bit). But if their original music was more about fun, then their natural energy could carry that show a lot more. If they went more party music than serious dark prog metal music, I think it'd help them a ton.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6175 on: March 02, 2020, 11:08:16 AM »
I don't think they're shows should be joking around. But the song I referenced was a Van Halen song. A real legit song that isn't goofy and stupid (though it is a bit). But if their original music was more about fun, then their natural energy could carry that show a lot more. If they went more party music than serious dark prog metal music, I think it'd help them a ton.
They should definitely pattern their next album on the music of LMFAO.  Stuff like Party Rock Anthem.

That would be awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6176 on: March 02, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
True,  they do have all the elements to play really fun party songs without sacrificing the quality of the music. In other words,  best of both worlds. Kind of like Sammy Hagar meets Rush meets VH etc.
 That's kind of why I'd like to see DT write more songs in the vein of Viper King every now and then.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #6177 on: March 04, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »
European dates postponed due to Corona virus. This thing is bringing the world to a halt. Crazy shit.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6178 on: March 04, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
European dates postponed due to Corona virus. This thing is bringing the world to a halt. Crazy shit.
Musikmesse in Frankfurt was postponed as well because of it.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6179 on: March 04, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »
Inevitable at this stage. It was already a wonder the italian date alone wasn't cancelled.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6180 on: March 04, 2020, 02:52:56 PM »
From the band’s FB:

Sons Of Apollo are absolutely devastated to announce that we have no choice but to stop our currently ongoing tour in Europe, Russia and Ukraine and postpone the remaining concerts.

The Corona Virus epidemic has escalated to a point where governments have decided to shut down venues, restrict events, limit flight destinations, with no certainty for us and our promoting partners and that our shows can be guaranteed to happen.

Obviously these European wide emergency precautions have been taken to protect the safety and health of all fans in attendance and artists and crew alike. We do agree that this is a time where health comes first and we will not endanger band & crew, nor fans.

Furthermore, on top of the potential health implications and obstacles, the economical impact and potential financial risk for a tour from overseas like ours has forced us, to take action to limit the possibility of devastating financial losses in such a force majeure situation.

Nobody is more disappointed then we are in this moment...
We are really looking forward to playing each and every show once the situation has cleared, as the momentum and excitement we experienced at our 2 sold out opening nights in Germany and our shows in Norway and Sweden have been by far the best the band has ever experienced!

We will ABSOLUTELY be rescheduling these dates as soon as it is safely possible to return. Details of honoring existing tickets and refunds will be announced locally. Procedures for existing VIP package holders will be announced on SOA website and our social media

Thank you for you understanding and we see you as soon as we possibly can!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6181 on: March 04, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
On another (maybe somewhat related) note: How would the epidemic affect DT's upcoming dates in Asia and Australia (April and May respectively) do you think?
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6182 on: March 04, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
Damn, that really sucks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6183 on: March 04, 2020, 07:37:49 PM »
On another (maybe somewhat related) note: How would the epidemic affect DT's upcoming dates in Asia and Australia (April and May respectively) do you think?
I had just been thinking about that yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if at least the Asian dates are postponed if not flat out cancelled. Hard to say about Australia at this point, but I could see them scrapping the whole leg of the tour if the costs just to tour those non-Asian shows proved to be too much. I would imagine there will probably be an announcement towards the end of this month if the virus hasn't been brought under control by that time.

It will be interesting to see if the band will still do the last leg of the tour that's in the works. I remember seeing a recent MM interview where he commented that there would be one more leg after the Asia/Australia leg, but that it had not been announced yet. With the virus out of control, I can imagine them just scrapping that last leg and opting to start work on their next album a bit earlier than they originally planned.

Damn, that really sucks.
I agree. I hope it doesn't take the wind out of their sails since it seems like they were building up some good momentum.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6184 on: March 04, 2020, 09:21:10 PM »
Well that takes care of my debate about seeing them. Good thing I didn't buy the tickets for the Saturday gig yet, was waiting for the last moment to decide.

Certainly sucks for the band and the fans.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6185 on: March 06, 2020, 01:03:04 AM »
Mike had to make a post to explain better the situation (also from the point of view of the band) among rampant comments about people over reacting, it's all an hysteria and bla bla bla. Geez. Whenever something happens, there's always someone who will think to know better than the actual experts.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6186 on: March 06, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
Mike's response made a ton of sense if you ask me.  It really is unfortunate and I'm sure the band would rather play the shows but given the way everyone is reacting here, it doesn't make sense with all that money on the line.  Best to be safe, as much as that sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6187 on: March 06, 2020, 08:17:47 AM »
Mike's response made a ton of sense if you ask me.  It really is unfortunate and I'm sure the band would rather play the shows but given the way everyone is reacting here, it doesn't make sense with all that money on the line.  Best to be safe, as much as that sucks.

It was a perfect response....especially to such silly backlash. But, he laid it all out pretty clearly for anyone who just didn't understand in the first place.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6188 on: March 06, 2020, 08:37:34 AM »
Yup. At the pace this situation is developing in Europe, I'm currently wondering whether to plan anything in the summer at all.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6189 on: March 06, 2020, 10:23:37 AM »

It was a perfect response....especially to such silly backlash. But, he laid it all out pretty clearly for anyone who just didn't understand in the first place.

The Aristocrats bailed out on two or three Italian shows since Italy banned public gatherings and events but those bans were just isolated to Italy when they did that (two weeks ago I believe). I do feel bad for the guys because it's their living and SoA does very well in Europe. It would suck going into each tour date not knowing if the show will be cancelled or not. It's a big risk and that is not considering the health risk.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #6190 on: March 07, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
I listened to MMXX again on a long car ride yesterday. I don't know what it is, but SOA doesn't click for me. Not underscoring the musicians and their musicianship at all because they're great players. The songs just don't do it for me overall. There are cool moments but that's it.

I thought an MP and Sherinian collaboration would be cool but it's not what I am liking.

I've given them a good try but I can't say I'd return to SOA. I do wish them the best and success, just not my thing right now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6191 on: March 14, 2020, 07:40:30 PM »
I listened to MMXX again on a long car ride yesterday. I don't know what it is, but SOA doesn't click for me. Not underscoring the musicians and their musicianship at all because they're great players. The songs just don't do it for me overall. There are cool moments but that's it.

I thought an MP and Sherinian collaboration would be cool but it's not what I am liking.

I've given them a good try but I can't say I'd return to SOA. I do wish them the best and success, just not my thing right now.

Still haven't gotten this yet. What a slacker I am.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6192 on: July 25, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
Big bump for this thread: Felipe Andreoli (Angra, Kiko Loureiro) has just been announced as Billy Sheehan's fill-in for SOA's South American dates. https://www.facebook.com/FelipeAndreoliPage/videos/575587230771494/

I'm a big fan of Felipe and don't really like Billy too much, so this is (IMO) a much better lineup already :lol Great news for those attending this short tour :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Trav86

« Reply #6193 on: July 25, 2022, 10:11:20 AM »
What was the reason for Billy’s absence?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6194 on: July 25, 2022, 10:15:01 AM »
What was the reason for Billy’s absence?

None announced yet, but I'm sure the band will post a statement shortly. Most likely just scheduling conflicts.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."