Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464260 times)

Offline Schurftkut

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3360 on: February 12, 2018, 04:47:11 PM »
yeah such an odd choice. I don't get why MP doesn't want to play fan favorites from DT if he didn't write the lyrics..

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3361 on: February 12, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »
I really liked the LitS performance, specially the Dug’s parts that Jeff sung extremely well!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3362 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
I really liked the LitS performance, specially the Dug’s parts that Jeff sung extremely well!
Agreed.  But I can't say the same about Just Let Me Breathe.  I like that song, but I don't feel like it is suited for Jeff's voice or something.  It just didn't translate well, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #3363 on: February 12, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »
Agree that Jeff handled that song quite well.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3364 on: February 12, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
The Prophets Song live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCIrRm8V68

Brian May retweeted this video :-) I must say this is a pretty cool rendition!

If only Ron and Mike would join in for later parts.... ;)

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3365 on: February 12, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »
I attended the Orlando show with very low expectations. Let me say that the songs translate WAY better in a live setting. They sounded very heavy. I really miss Derek in Dream Theater so this is closest that I will ever get to see him play DT stuff. Loved his playing. The surprise of the night for me was Bumblefoot. The guy obviously can shred and played the DT stuff very well. However, the guy can sing...and very well!! During the Lines in the Sand chorus, he sang the main part higher than Jeff,while Jeff did the background vocals (Dug's parts). I was pleasantly surprised by that. As far as Jeff goes, he did a great job being the front man and has a good voice. His does get into the hand movement a tad too much but it was an impressive performance. Can't say much about Billy, only that his bass tone did not sound as high as in the Winery Dogs. Not sure if it was the mix or if that's his tone with SoA. MP was MP, waving hands, throwing his sticks up and catching them, spitting, etc. Not much I can add about MP. They did allude the fact that Orlando was the first mainland show in SoA's history.

They played:
God of the Sun
Signs of Time
Figaro's Whore
Divine Addiction
Just Let Me Breathe (FII cover on the projection screen with Sons of Apollo's Derek and MP's lions seating where the guys with binoculars were in the cover)
Labyrinth
Bass solo
Lost in Oblivion
Prophet's Song/Save Me
Alive
Pink Panther Theme (Ron's solo)
Opus Maximus
Keyboard Solo
Lines in the Sand (with FII cover modification on the screen)
And the Cradle will Rock (Van Halen cover)
Coming Home

Merch wise: a variety of tshirts, two beanies, one cap, one hoodie, mediabook 2cd version of album an vinyl.

If anybody could get me a cap, I would appreciate it. I intended to get one after the show but they ran out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:44:49 PM by goo-goo »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3366 on: February 12, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
I thought their show back in August 2017 was their first show? Did that just get scrubbed from the history books or something?

Speaking of history, I double checked that and in the clip I watched, Soto says "Sherinian lives by the hashtag #MakingHistory, and tonight, you're witnessing history"... as they kick into a cover of a very popular highly covered Van Halen song. wot
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3367 on: February 12, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »
I didn’t see all the videos, but it seems that Billy playing with a double neck bass just created some discomfort in his performance, that it’s more energetic normally.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3368 on: February 12, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
Wow I haven't listened to Just Let Me Breathe in forever. Thanks for reminding me why.
yeah such an odd choice. I don't get why MP doesn't want to play fan favorites from DT if he didn't write the lyrics..

BMS would have been a much better song choice. It's a better song (my opinion), has a very cool DS solo and the lyrics were also written by MP. Oh well...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: February 12, 2018, 05:35:14 PM »
Wow I haven't listened to Just Let Me Breathe in forever. Thanks for reminding me why.

BMS would have been a much better song choice. It's a better song (my opinion), has a very cool DS solo and the lyrics were also written by MP. Oh well...

Could it be due to DT having played BMS relatively recently, but JLMB has not been played awhile.  It seemed DT's choice to play ACOS affected MP's TSF to not play it, so maybe there's some connection to what DT is/isn't playing here?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3370 on: February 12, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »

Could it be due to DT having played BMS relatively recently, but JLMB has not been played awhile.  It seemed DT's choice to play ACOS affected MP's TSF to not play it, so maybe there's some connection to what DT is/isn't playing here?

But they played it in 2015 :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3371 on: February 12, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
and JLMB hasnt been played since 2006 (according to setlist.fm)  making it a bit more of a fresh option for a DT fan seeing SOA.  I'm only speculating here.  Personally I enjoy the song.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3372 on: February 12, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
If JLMB was unworthy of making it in to a DT setlist for the last 5 years Mike was in the band, why does he feel it is so worthy of being in SoA's setlist now?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3373 on: February 12, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
I DISagree.  Unnecessary does not equate to stupid.  How much that musicians do is really "necessary?"

Exactly.  They don't need to bang their head or jump up and down or even have concert lighting but it's nice.  I don't really care for the double neck fest either but I guess it presents a cool visual. 

I feel the same way. 

What was with adding Chris Cornell's name into the lyrics?  It used to be Shannon Hoon and Kurt Cobain which I always took as a slam.  Get high and kill yourself and you'll become famous.  Mike was just giving a tribute to Chris Cornell calling him a great vocalist and all that and now it almost seems like adding his name is ragging on him.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that or maybe they just wanted to add Chris Cornell's name without any thought because he also killed himself but it seems like kind of a gross thing to do. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3374 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
I DISagree.  Unnecessary does not equate to stupid.  How much that musicians do is really "necessary?"

Exactly.  They don't need to bang their head or jump up and down or even have concert lighting but it's nice.  I don't really care for the double neck fest either but I guess it presents a cool visual. 

I feel the same way. 

What was with adding Chris Cornell's name into the lyrics?  It used to be Shannon Hoon and Kurt Cobain which I always took as a slam.  Get high and kill yourself and you'll become famous.  Mike was just giving a tribute to Chris Cornell calling him a great vocalist and all that and now it almost seems like adding his name is ragging on him.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that or maybe they just wanted to add Chris Cornell's name without any thought because he also killed himself but it seems like kind of a gross thing to do.

I guess the more charitable interpretation of those lyrics is that they're from the point of view the unfeeling, uncaring music business.  Like it's saying "yeah kill yourselves and sell more records, that's all that matters!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3375 on: February 12, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »

I feel the same way. 

I guess the more charitable interpretation of those lyrics is that they're from the point of view the unfeeling, uncaring music business.  Like it's saying "yeah kill yourselves and sell more records, that's all that matters!"

Yeah, I can see that but of all the musicians and genres he likes, I don't think I've ever heard him say anything good about Kurt Cobain so to put Chris Cornell in the same boat with him is kind of odd. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3376 on: February 12, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
Of the videos I have seen, I must say I liked the Prophet Song the best. That was really good. Don't care for the actual SOA album itself, so it's hard for me to judge the rest.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3377 on: February 12, 2018, 11:36:30 PM »
As I've said...Sons of Apollo shines on live shows.

The energy is there. It could be way more better. More shows and another album will tell..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #3378 on: February 13, 2018, 08:34:07 AM »
I was at the Orlando show and feel JSS stole the show. He was very impressive. Also as previous poster mentioned, Bumblefoots signing was a big surprise. Not that I didnt know he could sing but his voice was much bigger than I knew.

Also I was amused that Derek would have to put on his reading glasses at times to see the knobs on his keyboards. We are all getting old.  :rollin

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3379 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
I was at the Orlando show and feel JSS stole the show. He was very impressive. Also as previous poster mentioned, Bumblefoots signing was a big surprise.

That's pretty amazing that he can play two necks all while providing that invaluable resource to the deaf community. Truly going above and beyond.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3380 on: February 13, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
I saw Bumblefoot's one-man show (after deciding that SOA wouldn't be getting my money) and was really impressed by his singing.  Nice to see him doing most of the backing vocals, as opposed to the alternative... :)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3381 on: February 13, 2018, 10:35:22 AM »
I was at the Orlando show and feel JSS stole the show. He was very impressive. Also as previous poster mentioned, Bumblefoots signing was a big surprise.

That's pretty amazing that he can play two necks all while providing that invaluable resource to the deaf community. Truly going above and beyond.

So SOA found their niche market ,  the deaf.   :biggrin:
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: February 13, 2018, 10:38:08 AM »

So SOA found their niche market ,  the deaf.   :biggrin:

Gives a new meaning to the song 'Signs of the Time'  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3383 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
So that's why Soto does all those movements with his hands.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3384 on: February 13, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
If JLMB was unworthy of making it in to a DT setlist for the last 5 years Mike was in the band, why does he feel it is so worthy of being in SoA's setlist now?
Maybe because MP didn't think it was unworthy, but that there were a lot of other songs that he wanted to include in the setlist instead?

Yeah, I can see that but of all the musicians and genres he likes, I don't think I've ever heard him say anything good about Kurt Cobain so to put Chris Cornell in the same boat with him is kind of odd. 
Fair enough, but what is the purpose of the lyrics to the song? To be overly critical of Kurt Cobain, Shannon Hoon and now Chris Cornell, or to be overly critical of the music business? I think the answer is clear.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline the keyboard wizard

Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3386 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
I think he liked it.

So not only do they cover DT (which is fine, really) but the cover of Falling Into Infinity is on the screen?  That's... I don't know, it seems wrong.  For the possibly one or two people in the audience that don't realize that they're playing a DT song at the moment, it won't matter, and for the rest of them, they already know it's a DT song and from which album.  So it doesn't matter either way.  But the album cover of the band whose song you're playing, the same band you were ripping on just a few weeks ago?

Yeah, I'm looking for shit to bitch about.  Sue me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3387 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »
Here's a review of the Orlando gig :
https://blogofapollo.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/review-in-english-making-history-in-orlando-02-11-2018/

Blog of Apollo?

Why does every review for this band only come from intense fan boys?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
I do not understand why MP keeps coming back to DT things. First he was done with the band, then he did TSF tour and said "That's it! No more! Once in a lifetime, no more DT covers, that's all folks!"... he poo-pooed DT covering A Change of Seasons, their own freaking song, and then 6 months later is covering DT tunes he used to give the cold shoulder to, while showing the freaking album art of another band! Yeah, his old band, but one he himself said he left behind. This is really sad at this point

Also... Blog of Apollo? Making blogs great again. Revolutionizing blogs!

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3389 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »
I think he liked it.

So not only do they cover DT (which is fine, really) but the cover of Falling Into Infinity is on the screen?  That's... I don't know, it seems wrong.  For the possibly one or two people in the audience that don't realize that they're playing a DT song at the moment, it won't matter, and for the rest of them, they already know it's a DT song and from which album.  So it doesn't matter either way.  But the album cover of the band whose song you're playing, the same band you were ripping on just a few weeks ago?

Yeah, I'm looking for shit to bitch about.  Sue me.

When Mike was in DT and they would cover songs live there would usually artwork projected.  That’s kind of his thing.  But the context is different I concede.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3390 on: February 13, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
I do not understand why MP keeps coming back to DT things. First he was done with the band, then he did TSF tour and said "That's it! No more! Once in a lifetime, no more DT covers, that's all folks!"... he poo-pooed DT covering A Change of Seasons, their own freaking song, and then 6 months later is covering DT tunes he used to give the cold shoulder to, while showing the freaking album art of another band! Yeah, his old band, but one he himself said he left behind. This is really sad at this point

Also... Blog of Apollo? Making blogs great again. Revolutionizing blogs!

Respectfully, I believe that Shattered Fortress was his last FULL SET of DT material.  I don't believe he ever said he would never play another DT SONG ever again. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3391 on: February 13, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
When Mike was in DT and they would cover songs live there would usually artwork projected.  That’s kind of his thing.  But the context is different I concede.

Yeah, he even had Transatlantic launch into a few bars of Metallica's Ride the Lightning after the "ride the lightning" lyric in Kaleidoscope, during which they flashed the Ride the Lightning album cover up on screen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3392 on: February 13, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

Yeah, he even had Transatlantic launch into a few bars of Metallica's Ride the Lightning after the "ride the lightning" lyric in Kaleidoscope, during which they flashed the Ride the Lightning album cover up on screen.

They did something akin to that with Highway Star on the Whirlwind tour, though I haven't watched the vid yet so I don't know if the album art was up on the screen. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3393 on: February 13, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
They also replaced the two dudes with the lions from the SoA artwork correct? 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3394 on: February 13, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
They also replaced the two dudes with the lions from the SoA artwork correct?

Yes, that is correct.