Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466717 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
Not to pile on, but the "... with balls" remark just kinda rubs me the wrong way, which is something I haven't been able to put my finger on before. They're marketing this as a super macho manly prog metal band. Kansas with balls! No anus puckering screams! We have metal swagger! It just strikes me all as lame and hell, and not even true. Their bassist is 64 years old, and has never been considered a metal artist. They're rocking double keyboards, double necked guitars, and a double necked bass with 4 strings on both. They're so overly worried about image they can't decide if they want to be the "more is more" prog wankfest band (which is fine), or the tough guy metal band that is taking cues from Anselmo. It's the same issue Adrenaline Mob fell into. Russ made his name singing about prophets and sages. MP didn't start getting full sleeve tats and dying his goatee (don't get me started) well into his 40s. Singing about knocking about wannabes (in AMob's case), and buying into a machismo version of progressive giants (SoA) is such a misguided poor attempt at credibility. It's like they're trying way too hard to maintain a trumped up and false image when it's all transparent and belies the actual music they're putting out. Over the top machismo from musicians who are trying to push their 'virtuosity' in a genre such as this just screams of ... well... I don't need to finish that sentence. That's probably my biggest turn off of this band, other than the actual songs.

This is essentially an aftertaste of every MP album since DT went ahead and did ToT.
What can you say, the man loves ass and balls.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 06:36:49 PM »
Pretty cool :tup

I always enjoyed watching MP's drum cam videos

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Jxfm8dUPazg
MP sign of times drum cam

That was great! MP is awesome to watch, no matter what I think of the song. Hell, I even like watching his Adrenaline Mob drum cam videos.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
That's the part of MP I really like the drum cams. Really fun to watch.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:37:13 PM by bill1971 »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »
Interesting to note that Jeff don't sing alone almost the entire song.
Also interesting to note, despite the double necks guitars and bass, the multiple keyboards, MP didn't use a siamese drum kit ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Jxfm8dUPazg
MP sign of times drum cam

Good stuff, MP is always a joy to watch work regardless of the band or the drama. Also, and I’ve said this before, these drum cam videos are such a great idea. Throw a couple video cameras up in the studio and edit the thing together. You’ve got a super easy to make product his die hards will buy every time. No clue why MM hasn’t done this with DT stuff yet, could potentially be a nice little amount of bonus money around an album release.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
I do love those videos of him drumming. Even if he's not doing anything mind blowing or pushing the genre forward, he's always inspirational to me as a drummer.

SEE STADLER?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2017, 08:20:37 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
God of the Sun isn't bad at all... Or so I've heard.

Would be better with Russell Allen.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »
The video fulfilled its purpose (at least for me) - my excitement for the album is re-ignited! Just love to see MP play!  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
Great video, indeed! I just don't understand why he has to include his vocal recording shots on his DRUM CAM videos :lol
But, anyway, I liked the video, please don't take this as more MP criticism.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »

This is essentially an aftertaste of every MP album since DT went ahead and did ToT.
What can you say, the man loves ass and balls.

I don't think that applies to Flying Colors or the Neal Morse Band at all. Not even by a longshot.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
I may, or may not, have heard the album in its entirety, but let me just write down the following words: "Accidental Karate Kid credits"
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:04:17 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
I may, or may not, have heard the album in its entirety, but let me just write down the following words: "Accidental Karate Kid credits"

I was hoping you would say something along the lines of "You're The Best!"  I would be legitimately more pumped for the album if the songs would be somewhere along the lines of that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
Well ... the album just went up a notch for you. :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »

Nothing's gonna ever keep Anguyen92 down......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

I was only partially kidding on that one, but all right.  I'll just give it the old listen through Spotify when it comes out and determine whether or not I probably would hear more songs on repeat or not.

I mean the singles are all right, but I don't know if I want to listen to those more often.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
ok so after hearing the first few tracks of this album i'm not too warm about it, but looking forward to seeing/hearing this being performed live with a band who aren't statues like DT nowadays. The music is definitely proggy and virtuosic in a lot of places. Many melodic riffs and kind of "safe" vocals that do work well with the songs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
Based solely off what I’ve read and the two released songs, are we all equating elongated soloish sections with prog now? So if I hear a song is prog on the album, I can assume it has a few longer solos and standard MP style instrumental stuff?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »
avant-garde flashy 80s rock/metal with a modern production would describe this band better.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »

Not to pile on, but the "... with balls" remark just kinda rubs me the wrong way, which is something I haven't been able to put my finger on before. They're marketing this as a super macho manly prog metal band. Kansas with balls! No anus puckering screams! We have metal swagger! It just strikes me all as lame and hell, and not even true. Their bassist is 64 years old, and has never been considered a metal artist. They're rocking double keyboards, double necked guitars, and a double necked bass with 4 strings on both. They're so overly worried about image they can't decide if they want to be the "more is more" prog wankfest band (which is fine), or the tough guy metal band that is taking cues from Anselmo. It's the same issue Adrenaline Mob fell into. Russ made his name singing about prophets and sages. MP didn't start getting full sleeve tats and dying his goatee (don't get me started) well into his 40s. Singing about knocking about wannabes (in AMob's case), and buying into a machismo version of progressive giants (SoA) is such a misguided poor attempt at credibility. It's like they're trying way too hard to maintain a trumped up and false image when it's all transparent and belies the actual music they're putting out. Over the top machismo from musicians who are trying to push their 'virtuosity' in a genre such as this just screams of ... well... I don't need to finish that sentence. That's probably my biggest turn off of this band, other than the actual songs.

Perhaps "rock and roll swagger" is not what you're looking for?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »
avant-garde flashy 80s rock/metal with a modern production would describe this band better.

There's nothing avant-garde about this band.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
it's intentionally disjointed at times? ;) :P

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
it's intentionally disjointed at times? ;) :P

I'm sure it's that, but I've not heard anything yet.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
like someone said, it's out there now. i couldn't finish the last track though.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
Here's a new interview with Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=h5rBPxl-UMc

Thanks, that was a nice interview.

A genuine question: can anyone think of any examples of genuine bands (not solo projects) where one band member is so vocal and public about being the "leader"? The nearest to it I can think of is Steven Wilson, he definitely looked upon himself as the leader of PT - and eventually decided to break it up and go solo because he couldn't get the others to conform to his broad taste in styles of music.

Just curious - don't mean for this to be an invitation to yet another MP-bashing session. But MP's insistence on being known as the leader, the man in charge, etc. for a band where he clearly doesn't write most of the music (arrangements, sure) struck me as quite unusual.

...maybe Noel Gallagher in the case of Oasis?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »
Are we holding off to discuss the album until it releases in case of leak?

Offline Adami

« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
A genuine question: can anyone think of any examples of genuine bands (not solo projects) where one band member is so vocal and public about being the "leader"?

Iced Earth
Stratovarius (before he left)
Nightwish
Opeth
Megadeth
Evanescence

That's just off the top of my head and not nearly complete.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »
Are we holding off to discuss the album until it releases in case of leak?

Well, I suppose it's common courtesy and netiquette, downloading albums and discussing them before the release date should be seen as masturbation - everyone's doing it, but it's not nice to talk about it openly.

And about MP being "known" as the leader... I think this comes more from his recent past. He was burned out in overseeing everything in DT, he was "just the drummer" with many projects, and now he's back to directing things. I assume it's more of an information for his longtime fans rather than a sudden burst of ego.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
A genuine question: can anyone think of any examples of genuine bands (not solo projects) where one band member is so vocal and public about being the "leader"?

Iced Earth
Stratovarius (before he left)
Nightwish
Opeth
Megadeth
Evanescence

That's just off the top of my head and not nearly complete.

Slightly embarassed to admit that I don't listen to any of those bands except Megadeth...

But that's a great example! Mustaine is definitely the uncontested leader of that band and makes it known to all. Good call!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
2b. With regard to "leaked" material, you are not allowed to discuss the leaking or sharing of an album by any artist, or that an album has leaked. In addition to the above, with regard to Dream Theater and side-projects by the members of Dream Theater, you may not discuss the leaked material whatsoever.  For other bands, you can in most cases discuss the content of the leaked material as long as you do not reference the leak, where you obtained the material, or sharing the leaked material.
I don't know how to interpret this tbh. If it were just the first paragraph, it'd be straightforward, no leak discussion at all. But then the last paragraph muddles up the situation. For all intents and purposes, it's not possible to discuss the content of leaked material without at least indirectly referencing the leak itself, since it is known that the given album hasn't yet been released at that point. That's the definition of "leak," piracy before release. This seems like a paradoxical rule.   
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:40:32 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.