Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467366 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4515 on: October 20, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
Mike wrote:

Here is the last few mins of the last @SonsOfApollo1 show of 2018! Thx to everyone that came out & supported our maiden voyage! Look for our live album from Plovdiv sometime next yr as we begin work on a new album & we’ll see you back on the road in 2020!
https://youtu.be/6QjiBsGiqbc

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4516 on: October 21, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »
It may sound stupid but I honestly would have preferred if 1 or 2 members were not super established in the business. Look at all the talent out there, why not take a second and scope some out like Neal Morse did with Eric Gillette?
And boy did that pay off, Eric Gillette is amazing and a good secondary frontman. Bill is a great on the keys but also an all around great musician. Same with Randy on bass.
 Neal Morse is obviously a really cool guy and is good at spotting talent outside the business.

True. Eric and Bill are two awesome musicians! Plus their voices bring a nice diversity to NMs music!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4517 on: October 22, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »
Mike wrote:

Here is the last few mins of the last @SonsOfApollo1 show of 2018! Thx to everyone that came out & supported our maiden voyage! Look for our live album from Plovdiv sometime next yr as we begin work on a new album & we’ll see you back on the road in 2020!
https://youtu.be/6QjiBsGiqbc

'Removed by user'   :\
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4518 on: October 22, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »
Man, it's hard to believe this first album run is pretty much over.  I hope they do a few one-off dates here and there.  I'm sure there'll be little snippets of info here and there as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4519 on: October 22, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »
I'm curious to see if the album cycle lived up to their expectations. I mean, we'll never know unless they come out and say one way or another. But I have to believe they thought it would be more. We'll get the live release holdover, and then see if they can really gel on the second record and make some progress.

With any luck, they will. But the record has to be more dynamic (at least for me). I had much more fun at the show, with that energy. The album was missing that energy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4520 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
I'm curious to see if the album cycle lived up to their expectations.

Yeah, same here.  I am fairly certain they legitimately thought it would have near-unanimous acceptance in the prog metal community, so I am sure it fell short in that regard.  But in terms of numbers, that is a relatively small community.  Hard to say whether it lived up to "expectations" with regard to the rock/metal community as a whole.  I think that is where they needed better touring support to see any drastic changes in numbers.  If they could have gotten a supporting slot with a bigger name band, I think that would have helped.  But then again, maybe they will do that second time around.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4521 on: October 22, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
I can't see how it met their expectations since they seemed really high, but I'm not sure whether or not they consider what they've done to be a relative success or not.  I'm more curious on whether the guys believe they can grow from here on out or if they think this may go no where.  I don't think they will ever say that publicly (at least not until retirement or something) but that would intrigue me more. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4522 on: October 22, 2018, 07:22:35 PM »
Going off their ProgPower performance, I'd say they have.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bentower

« Reply #4523 on: October 23, 2018, 12:22:17 AM »
I was disappointed that the album lacked Bumblefoot's usual sound and stamp of overall quality and now, since this cycle is over and done with, that they didn't make it up to Finland. I thought SoA would surely grant a chance to see him live finally. I believe the phrase MP used was 'all corners of the globe'. Nah-uh.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #4524 on: October 23, 2018, 04:10:09 AM »
So, next album. Will they proclaim that they are "The Kings of Dad-Rock"?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4525 on: October 30, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
According to Jeff they are hitting the studio in January.

https://loudwire.com/tenacious-d-sons-of-apollo-more-album-updates-2018-bowl-for-ronnie/

- Sons of Apollo just wrapped touring for their debut album, but singer Jeff Scott Soto tells us it won't be long before they tackle their follow-up release. "We are taking the next two months off because I’m taking off for Trans-Siberian Orchestra next week. I get back Dec. 31 and we’re in the studio like a week later for the next album," says Soto. "Derek [Sherinian] has a bunch of ideas and Bumblefoot has a bunch of ideas, but we’re not writing and sending each other stuff.  We’re just gonna keep adding to the catalog of ideas and like the first album, we’re just going to get together and carve it out in person."
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4526 on: October 30, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
Cool!  The first album had a lot of really cool moments.  With an album and tour together under their belt, I have pretty high expectations for album #2.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4527 on: October 30, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »
According to Jeff they are hitting the studio in January.

https://loudwire.com/tenacious-d-sons-of-apollo-more-album-updates-2018-bowl-for-ronnie/

- Sons of Apollo just wrapped touring for their debut album, but singer Jeff Scott Soto tells us it won't be long before they tackle their follow-up release. "We are taking the next two months off because I’m taking off for Trans-Siberian Orchestra next week. I get back Dec. 31 and we’re in the studio like a week later for the next album," says Soto. "Derek [Sherinian] has a bunch of ideas and Bumblefoot has a bunch of ideas, but we’re not writing and sending each other stuff.  We’re just gonna keep adding to the catalog of ideas and like the first album, we’re just going to get together and carve it out in person."

That's really cool. I am glad they are doing the second record pretty quickly.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4528 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
I don't like the comparison to writing it similar to how they did the first album, but I'm interested for a follow up.  I know it won't be for some time till it gets release though so I'm not really feeling anticipation for this yet

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4529 on: October 30, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
Neat to hear that they are going back into the studio. There were some good moments in the first records, hopefully they spend more time writing this time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4530 on: October 30, 2018, 11:42:58 PM »
There will inevitably be a tweet about how hard a certain drum part is because Mike had to spend all of 20 minutes practicing it  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4531 on: October 31, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
Looks like it will be a short time in the studio being that MP will heading out on tour with the NMB, which I got tickets to see.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4532 on: October 31, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
Looks like it will be a short time in the studio being that MP will heading out on tour with the NMB, which I got tickets to see.  :coolio

Yes, I fear it will be as rushed a job as the first one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4533 on: October 31, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »

Yes, I fear it will be as rushed a job as the first one.

Well, if it's like the first one, that's great because nothing about that was rushed.  So count me in.

But to that point, since they have been working on things for quite some time, even if they are only "writing together" for a short time, they will still have worked on the songs longer than the first album.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4534 on: October 31, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
I don't care if an album takes 3 days or 3 years to make. All I cared about is the finished product. SoA 1 was awesome. I expect nothing less for SoA 2.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4535 on: October 31, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
Exactly.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4536 on: November 02, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
I would expect some jamming at soundchecks to work Out some new material and 5heyve been on tour for ages.

I liked the first one and I’m happy there will be another. This is the only MP project post DT that has done anything for me , not counting NM because that’s his thing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4537 on: December 18, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
Metal Bell: The history between Derek, Mike, and Dream Theater, would you ever consider a tour with them?

Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal: I would love to do it, I have such tremendous respect for Dream Theater as a band and individuals. I love John Petrucci, we’ve met before, we’ve chatted, he’s a wonderful guy. I also played on Jordan’s solo record in 2009, he was just incredible. That would be a wonderful thing.

And honestly I feel like there would be no Sons Of Apollo if there was no Dream Theater, you know you have to respect where this came from and everything that leads up to it, the influences and the history, and I do, I tremendously do.

It’d be wonderful to play together, I doubt it would ever happen, that would be really something interesting to the fans to see that. I would love it to be taken not as a competition in any way, we are all branches of Dream Theater’s tree and I’m grateful to them, I respect and admire them.

Source: https://metal-bell.com/interviews/ron-bumblefoot-thal-from-sons-of-apollo-talks-touring-with-dream-theater-and-the-new-album/?fbclid=IwAR1EunSD1cfHi6dpaRjZyUOaGRgfxu0luSEU0Wjq3E14Zt6bTt6pqgv8biY

I bet Mike and Derek aren't too happy with this interview :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4538 on: December 18, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
Oh boy...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4539 on: December 18, 2018, 09:26:31 AM »
He said all the right things

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4540 on: December 18, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
He tells it like it is.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4541 on: December 18, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4542 on: December 18, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »
Metal Bell: The history between Derek, Mike, and Dream Theater, would you ever consider a tour with them?

Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal: I would love to do it, I have such tremendous respect for Dream Theater as a band and individuals. I love John Petrucci, we’ve met before, we’ve chatted, he’s a wonderful guy. I also played on Jordan’s solo record in 2009, he was just incredible. That would be a wonderful thing.

And honestly I feel like there would be no Sons Of Apollo if there was no Dream Theater, you know you have to respect where this came from and everything that leads up to it, the influences and the history, and I do, I tremendously do.

It’d be wonderful to play together, I doubt it would ever happen, that would be really something interesting to the fans to see that. I would love it to be taken not as a competition in any way, we are all branches of Dream Theater’s tree and I’m grateful to them, I respect and admire them.

Source: https://metal-bell.com/interviews/ron-bumblefoot-thal-from-sons-of-apollo-talks-touring-with-dream-theater-and-the-new-album/?fbclid=IwAR1EunSD1cfHi6dpaRjZyUOaGRgfxu0luSEU0Wjq3E14Zt6bTt6pqgv8biY

Why wouldn't they be?  If asked the same question, I'm quite confident that they would both give similar answers.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4543 on: December 18, 2018, 09:42:10 AM »

Why wouldn't they be?  If asked the same question, I'm quite confident that they would both give similar answers.

Considering their “DT sucks, we have balls” campaign for the album, I doubt they’ll be too happy with Ron basically praising DT (rightfully so).

BTW, Ron Thal is an extremely talented guitarist and also a class act :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4544 on: December 18, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
It seems like the band has tried to stray away from Derek and Mike's comments when the band first formed and that's a good thing.  Having Ron and JSS doing interviews is good, they say all the right things and come off really well.  MP often is misinterpreted and Derek just comes off as an ass IMO.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4545 on: December 18, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
It seems like the band has tried to stray away from Derek and Mike's comments when the band first formed and that's a good thing.  Having Ron and JSS doing interviews is good, they say all the right things and come off really well.  MP often is misinterpreted and Derek just comes off as an ass IMO.

Agreed, Ron and JSS should handle all publicity for the band.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4546 on: December 18, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Ron handled that like a pro. Very well done.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4547 on: December 18, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
Ron handled that like a pro. Very well done.

Yup, he should keep doing the press for this band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4548 on: December 18, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »

Mike and Derek might give similar answers, but they would wrestle with themselves (and lose) trying to come up with an answer that did not acknowledge or even mention Dream Theater, or if they did, that somehow Sons of Apollo is fresher, better, newer, something.  Despite the fact that Mike is still and probably will forever be known primarily as the founding drummer of DT and that Derek was in DT for a while, thus the connection, they've tried like hell to emphasize that this is a different band, and seem to want to distance themselves from DT.

Then comes Ron telling it like it is.  Sons wouldn't exist if DT had never existed and/or had the DT connection.  That connection gave them some cred, and at the very least gave a lot of people a reason to check them out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4549 on: December 22, 2018, 10:39:08 AM »

Seems to be as honest as an assessment as we're going to get.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:33:57 AM by ytserush »