Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467285 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4165 on: August 03, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
But they played every original song they had so I don't know how you can think that.

Maybe the argument could be made that they should have played a shorter set with a solid opener or been an opener for another band so it didn't come off as a playing too many cover songs.  And don't forget the VH cover as well.  I do think it was odd though to go after DT the way they did and then not only perform two of their songs, but to end the set with one. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4166 on: August 03, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »
I don't really fault them for playing a lot of cover songs, that's what every new band has to do when they only have one album's worth of material. It's more the choice of cover songs: two DT songs, and two Queen songs. In the world of cover-able songs out there, I would say that they could have found other songs than two ex-band songs, and then two songs from the same band.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4167 on: August 03, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
Well the two queen songs was closer to one medley of two songs done mostly as a solo spot by the singer since everyone got a solo spot on that show.  Still agree about doing two DT songs as much as I thought they did both really well.

And let's not forget they are doing a full set of cover songs at Plovdiv.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4168 on: August 03, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »
I actually think they should have done more (and different) DT covers.  As annoying as Derek was in the buildup to the band, his holier than though attitude could have actually had a point if they were saying, "Yo, you think today's Dream Theater can play their own songs as good as THIS?" and then pull out A Change of Seasons or Raise the Knife. 

Some of you are saying that would have denigrated them and I can see that but for me, it would have got me to make an effort to see them the second time they came through.  Since it was essentially the same set as the first mini leg I had no interest and thus my interest in the band has really diminished. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4169 on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
After being on a Falling Into Infinity and Derek solo kick, I’m finally starting to get into this album.  Derek’s sound isn’t that diverse, but it’s his. And when it’s good, it’s really good.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4170 on: August 11, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
I actually think they should have done more (and different) DT covers.  As annoying as Derek was in the buildup to the band, his holier than though attitude could have actually had a point if they were saying, "Yo, you think today's Dream Theater can play their own songs as good as THIS?" and then pull out A Change of Seasons or Raise the Knife. 

Some of you are saying that would have denigrated them and I can see that but for me, it would have got me to make an effort to see them the second time they came through.  Since it was essentially the same set as the first mini leg I had no interest and thus my interest in the band has really diminished.

A Change of Seasons would have been too much of a show stealer, but Raise the Knife would have been a great choice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4171 on: August 12, 2018, 05:31:25 AM »
I agree that Raise the Knife would have been great, but DT were playing it during the Images and Words and Beyond tour, so that's probably why SOA didn't pay it. Cover My Eyes would have been nice, but that was a Petrucci song, from what I remember...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4172 on: August 12, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
I agree that Raise the Knife would have been great, but DT were playing it during the Images and Words and Beyond tour, so that's probably why SOA didn't pay it. Cover My Eyes would have been nice, but that was a Petrucci song, from what I remember...

They played ACOS, not RTK.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4173 on: August 12, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »

You're right! I had Hell's kitchen in mind...my bad!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4174 on: August 22, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
I like this album more than any of the Adrenaline Mob stuff.  Looking forward to more SoA.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4175 on: August 22, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
The album has grown on me a bit, and I finally realize what is its weakest link is. Its Jeff Soto. He just totally underwhelms me. And its not that he's bad, he just sounds generic and a bit boring. Also, you don't have to punctuate so many lines in so many of the songs with, "YEAH!" It's a bit silly.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4176 on: August 22, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »

You're right! I had Hell's kitchen in mind...my bad!

I wouldn't have cared if they played the exact same songs.  SoA should make the best setlist they can no matter who played what, when, etc.  I find it kind of weird Mike is so obsessed with not doing what DT is doing (like him and Neal Morse getting into a fight about SoaD).  I get it that some fans will complain about anything but nobody gave a shit that DT and Neal Morse did concept double albums around the same time and if they did, they can deal with it. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4177 on: August 22, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
I don't think it is weird at all.  I mean, I think he DOES get too much inside his own head at times.  His paranoia about Similitude being a double concept album ultimately didn't matter.  But at the same time, I completely get where he is coming from on that.  Same with the issue of playing the same songs.  I don't think it's that hard to understand.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #4178 on: August 22, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »
Wait, Mike and Neal got into a fight over SOAD? Why, it's a fantastic record!
 I doubt they were trying to One-up DT with that record. SOAD and TA are both awesome in their own way.
 The only way they may have one-upped DT is that they managed to capture SOAD live (on two different occasions, Tilburg and Morsefest) for a dvd release,, and it is a darn good one (Tilburg) at that!  Morsefest 2017 Will be released soon. There is no TA live release.. shrug.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:23:20 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4179 on: August 22, 2018, 10:54:54 PM »

Apparently, Mike strongly opposed the idea of making TSOAD a double album because DT had just released a double concept album. He was more focused on not doing something similar to what DT was doing, instead of doing what was best for their new album. In the end Neal got it his way (it's the NMB, not the MPB after all...) and we got two amazing double concept albums the same year :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4180 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
I watched Portnoy's video where he's listening to the entire SoaD album....he says you could hear the anger/frustration of this argument in his playing on Slave to Your Mind...and he isn't kidding. One of my  favorite MP songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4181 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »

Apparently, Mike strongly opposed the idea of making TSOAD a double album because DT had just released a double concept album. He was more focused on not doing something similar to what DT was doing, instead of doing what was best for their new album. In the end Neal got it his way (it's the NMB, not the MPB after all...) and we got two amazing double concept albums the same year :metal

TSOAD, got it, but what's the other one?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4182 on: August 23, 2018, 07:53:27 AM »

DT's The Astonishing. That's what MP was referring to when Neal was working on Similitude.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4183 on: August 23, 2018, 07:54:31 AM »

:clap:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4184 on: August 23, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »

DT's The Astonishing. That's what MP was referring to when Neal was working on Similitude.

Um, yeah.   So call me Penn (or Teller), but here's what went on:  someone made a reference to TSOAD, then referred to DT.  Then they said "two amazing double concept albums in the same year" and I, not at all thinking that "The Astonishing" was amazing, or even decent, playfully asked, knowing full well what was being said, "what was the other one?".   The implication was that there's no possible way the poster could have intended to include "The Astonishing" as "amazing".   

TL;DR:  I know; it was a joke. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4185 on: August 23, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »
Well that's an r/woosh worthy-thing.

I thought it was pretty funny, for what it's worth. :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4186 on: August 23, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
I don't think it is weird at all.  I mean, I think he DOES get too much inside his own head at times.  His paranoia about Similitude being a double concept album ultimately didn't matter.  But at the same time, I completely get where he is coming from on that.  Same with the issue of playing the same songs.  I don't think it's that hard to understand.

That's kind of a weird reply.  I did say I understood but that he shouldn't care about what a small portion of fans complain about since it ended up not mattering at all for Similitude.  I didn't think *that* was hard to understand.

I think the "making of" is on youtube.  I sort of remember watching it.  Not because I like the Neal Morse Band, because I don't in the slightest, but because I'm a sucker for almost any "making of"

I think after the "fight" they kind of stopped filming the behind the scenes stuff to just focus on the album because it kind of shook them both up since they barely ever have disagreements.  Interesting dynamic. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4187 on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »

That's kind of a weird reply.  I did say I understood but that he shouldn't care about what a small portion of fans complain about since it ended up not mattering at all for Similitude.  I didn't think *that* was hard to understand.

Okay.  :dunno:  I didn't get that from your post. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4188 on: August 24, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
Have they held that fan poll that was supposed to determine which cover songs they'll play at the Plovdiv show yet?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4189 on: August 24, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »
Have they held that fan poll that was supposed to determine which cover songs they'll play at the Plovdiv show yet?

I saw MP saying that they scrapped this idea and he chose the cover songs himself instead.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4190 on: August 24, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »

I saw MP saying that they scrapped this idea and he chose the cover songs himself instead.

That kind of sucks.  Since it's just covers, would have been cool to see the options.  Really hoping they pull out some new covers at PP in a couple weeks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4191 on: August 24, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
Well, the top three vote getters when he shut the poll down were:

"Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar"
"Sailing On The Seas Of Cheese"
"Our New World"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4192 on: August 24, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »

"Our New World"

:rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4193 on: August 24, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »
 :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4194 on: August 24, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
That’s hilarious

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4195 on: August 24, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »
Hahaha...what did he expect making it an open poll. He should've made a list.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4196 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:55 PM »
Hahaha...what did he expect making it an open poll. He should've made a list.

Yeah, open polls never turn out well, just ask 4ch :loser:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4197 on: August 24, 2018, 10:48:22 PM »

"Our New World"
:neverusethis: LoL
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4198 on: August 24, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »

"Our New World"
:neverusethis: LoL
Is that true?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4199 on: August 25, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »
1) Wait for Sleep
2) Vacant
3) Far From Heaven
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'