Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467105 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #4060 on: May 21, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
Maybe I'm jaded, having seen Stephen Tyler falling off a drum riser he was so hammered, that having a couple drinks during the show wasn't even noticeable to me.

I see what you did there  ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4061 on: May 21, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
Maybe I'm jaded, having seen Stephen Tyler falling off a drum riser he was so hammered, that having a couple drinks during the show wasn't even noticeable to me.

Haha!  I rarely watch late night TV - I think the hosts are largely assholes, and I can't stand how it's been so dumbed down - but I will on occasion DVR a guest I like, and he was on James Corden the other night.  When James did his usual "knocking on the dressing room door" bit, he asked Stephen how he was, and Stephen answered "Beyond Beautiful, and you?" which is probably my favorite song off the album from which "Jaded" came. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4062 on: May 21, 2018, 10:46:05 AM »

Haha!  I rarely watch late night TV - I think the hosts are largely assholes, and I can't stand how it's been so dumbed down - but I will on occasion DVR a guest I like, and he was on James Corden the other night.  When James did his usual "knocking on the dressing room door" bit, he asked Stephen how he was, and Stephen answered "Beyond Beautiful, and you?" which is probably my favorite song off the album from which "Jaded" came.

I think Beyond Beautiful is a very underrated album. I love the title track as well, it's probably also my favorite song on the album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4063 on: May 21, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
When I saw SOA on their first US mini-run, I didn't notice Jeff drinking much maybe minus a cup or two on stage that wasn't distracting.  At the end of the set he talked about how it was the last show on their first run and they were all going to get wasted.  "Well, some of us don't drink but I'm going to get absolutely trashed," or something along those lines.  So yeah, the dude loves his alcohol but I hope it doesn't start to consume him.

I feel a little bad about this, but it's inevitable, in my opinion: while I much prefer LaBrie's vocals on record, and he's sung some of the most iconic lines in prog-metal history, live, I believe Soto schooled him.  I'd much rather listen to what I heard last night than some of the passages I've heard from LaBrie live. 

Yeah, but Soto has a much smaller range.  He didn't even take the high part on "Just close your mind you can find all you need with your eyes."  That song is a relatively easy one to sing when you get to stay in an easy range.

Let's hear him sing Metropolis or even Bridges in the Sky.  I doubt he'd school James then.  Same goes for Russel Allen.  I hear some people saying they wish he was in DT.  I doubt he could pull that stuff off very well and if he did, you'd be seeing many more off nights around those shows than JLB. 

So yeah, I'm a huge JLB defender but also keep in mind I was surprisingly impressed with Soto (minus his stupid stage moves).  I think he's pretty damn good at what he does but what he does at this point has nowhere near the range that James has even the James of today. There were even some of his own lines he had to modify due to range. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4064 on: May 21, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
That's a tough call.  I think both singers have their strong points. JLB and JSS are both great singers and frontman,  I can't really compare the two, but are both in the same league as far as I'm concerned.
JLB has always been one of my favorite all time singers, but JSS really impressed me after seeing him live..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4065 on: May 21, 2018, 11:33:32 PM »
Look I'm not going to argue any of that.  LaBrie is legendary in my mind.  I fell in love with DT because of him, back when I&W came out.  So I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on him too hard.  I just felt that there were zero moments in SoA where I was like "whoa, that was a clam", plus he was out there the entire time (for me that's not a minor thing).   Last time I saw LaBrie he had a couple moments and spent a fair amount of time playing solitaire behind the cabinets.   Again, observing not judging. 

Online goo-goo

« Reply #4066 on: May 22, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
Look I'm not going to argue any of that.  LaBrie is legendary in my mind.  I fell in love with DT because of him, back when I&W came out.  So I don't want to sound like I'm bagging on him too hard.  I just felt that there were zero moments in SoA where I was like "whoa, that was a clam", plus he was out there the entire time (for me that's not a minor thing).   Last time I saw LaBrie he had a couple moments and spent a fair amount of time playing solitaire behind the cabinets.   Again, observing not judging.

I have to agree with Stads here. JLB is the better singer imo, but Jeff engages with the crowd AND the band while playing instrumental passages. For me, the concert experience as a whole involves a lot of the energy given by the band, which SoA (I saw Steven Wilson last week and the energy between crowd/band was very stale to say the least). While I'm no fan of SoA's debut album, the live presentation of it is miles ahead of what was recorded in the studio. And Jeff and Bumblefoot's live presentation, playing/singing, and energy given off by them was the highlight for me when I saw them live in Orlando earlier in the year. And that added tons to my SoA concert experience...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4067 on: May 22, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »
I think what works against James is also that DT's instrumental passages are both longer, and complex. There's only so much you can do on stage without singing, especially if the instrumental sections are not singalong-ish like, for example, Maiden's (Phantom of the Opera has a long solo section but a singer could use most of it to keep the crowd going), and if you don't play anything.... so James either plays the tamburine like he did in the FII days, just to have an excuse to remain on stage, or at a certain point he has to walk away.

Speaking of long solo sections, did Jeff remain on stage during God of the Sun and Labyrinth? and if he did, what did he do?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4068 on: May 22, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
I recall him on stage the whole time; he would move back (in between Mike and Derek) or go over to the guy NOT leading the shred and throw shapes.  I do not recall him leaving the stage but for the other members solo spots.   

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4069 on: May 22, 2018, 10:14:49 AM »
I didn't listen to the album at all, not even once, because of Derek's and Mike's online behaviour (mostly Derek's), but reading all your reviews about the live show, I'm kinda torn now. I have a chance to see them in September, and I think I may eventually get the tickets.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4070 on: May 22, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
I recall him on stage the whole time; he would move back (in between Mike and Derek) or go over to the guy NOT leading the shred and throw shapes.  I do not recall him leaving the stage but for the other members solo spots.

Ah ok. Guess I should find some videos to see how it looks.

I didn't listen to the album at all, not even once, because of Derek's and Mike's online behaviour (mostly Derek's), but reading all your reviews about the live show, I'm kinda torn now. I have a chance to see them in September, and I think I may eventually get the tickets.

Then wouldn't listening to the album be an option? they literally play all of that and some covers to round up the show.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4071 on: May 22, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
It's obviously the call of the listener, but other than Jeff introducing him as "Shit-stirinian", and Mike calling Jeff one of the "best frontmen in all of rock", there wasn't even one second of shade in that show.  If you knew nothing of the antics from six months ago, after the show you'd be none the wiser.   Just good, hard prog-rock played well.   Plus a mini-beard solo thrown in for good measure (Bumble did a little ten second hammer-on thing with his goatee which looked cool but you couldn't hear for shit).   

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4072 on: May 22, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
Are they selling out the venues? I've read where many places are half full, but that doesn't mean it's that way for every venue. For those who went to see SOA, how were the crowds in terms of numbers?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4073 on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:23 PM »
Are they selling out the venues? I've read where many places are half full, but that doesn't mean it's that way for every venue. For those who went to see SOA, how were the crowds in terms of numbers?

Toronto didn't sell out. I think it was 70% full.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #4074 on: May 22, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »

Orlando was about the same (70%). However, they were selling a shitload of merch. Nothing was left when the show ended.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4075 on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:08 PM »

I'm not sure why there's an issue with that.  I think whatever works for the band works for me.  Maybe they can't win with that sort of thing.  You have an issue with James not being on stage.  I've seen a few shows where the singer did stay out of stage and people complained about him not getting out of the way - keeping the focus on himself instead of where it belongs (the guys who are playing).  I don't think he goes backstage because he can't be bothered to stay out - I think it just makes good sense for those long instrumental sections that DT has.  During those, you're often torn between watching JP or MM or JM or even Jordan when you can see him.  Why put one more person out there who isn't performing to distract from those who are?

As for JSS vs JLB, I've seen both, and like both.  My personal preference is JLB for a number of reasons.  But I really enjoyed JSS - I thought he sounded good and was very energetic (this was a solo show of his).  Maybe a bit over the top for my tastes, but since I didn't necessarily find the music all that appealing, the over the top personality probably helped to keep my attention.  Whereas if I'd been a big fan of his material, I'd probably have preferred him to tone it down just a little.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4076 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
Yeah, that about sums it up for me too.  Seems kinda silly to say that one "schooled" the other.  I mean, the one time I had the privilege to share a stage with Jeff Scott Soto, I was told by several people in the crowd afterward that I schooled him, so take that for what it's worth.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4077 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
Yeah, that about sums it up for me too.  Seems kinda silly to say that one "schooled" the other.  I mean, the one time I had the privilege to share a stage with Jeff Scott Soto, I was told by several people in the crowd afterward that I schooled him, so take that for what it's worth.  :lol

Did you by chance catch his stance on shopping carts?   :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4078 on: May 25, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
No.  But based on what I know of his personality, I'm pretty sure he leaves them where he pleases and rightly expects his keyboard player to put them away for him so that he can move on to more important stuff.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4079 on: May 25, 2018, 05:31:17 PM »

You schooled him on packing an amp in a van, breaking down the drums, sweeping the floor...  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4080 on: May 26, 2018, 08:11:18 AM »
No.  But based on what I know of his personality, I'm pretty sure he leaves them where he pleases and rightly expects his keyboard player to put them away for him so that he can move on to more important stuff.

Derek: Jeff, why did you get a shopping cart just to buy one iPad?  Why do you even need an ipad? You don't even play keyboards

Jeff: Why don't you stop asking questions and go return this shopping cart?

(Derek does as he's told)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4081 on: May 26, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

Worcester maybe 50%. Tons of space everywhere, had no problems getting to front row.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4082 on: May 26, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »

Worcester maybe 50%. Tons of space everywhere, had no problems getting to front row.

NYC was probably around 50% as well.  No issues with getting close either or just picking your spot to watch. I think it was the least attended show I've seen at that venue.  The bartender made a similar comment to me about it when I brought it up.  Not trying to knock the band, they were great, but it was a poorly attended show for the venue.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4083 on: May 26, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
If the shows are great, then why are they poorly attended? My comment is not a knock on the band or fans.

My reasoning and concern is that if people aren't coming out to the shows, could this band pack it in and call it a day? I'd love to have a sophomore release from them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4084 on: May 26, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »
When I saw them on their first mini run the show was pretty full and I was surprised.  I don't know how full because I'm not sure about the capacity of the place.  They have a balcony but people don't really watch from up there.  If I had to guess, excluding the balcony, it was 80-85% full.  Of course, that was before they announced their next leg so nobody including me if I ever thought if I'd get the chance to see them again.

Turns out one of their shows in Texas was canceled because not enough tickets were sold but it also seems like the promoter may have some issues.  No mention of that show on their facebook when you go back and look at past posts.  In fact, not much activity at all. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4085 on: May 27, 2018, 02:58:46 AM »
If the shows are great, then why are they poorly attended? My comment is not a knock on the band or fans.

Well, there's only so much word of mouth (or good YouTube videso) can do. They still have to come near someone, and that someone has to like them just enough to at least consider going, before being eventually swayed in favor because of good reviews.

I for example never was convinced to go to a show by good reviews, I've always seen what I wanted to see and skipped what didn't interest me enough.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4086 on: May 27, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
I think the simple explanation is that the album just wasn't all that greatly received. The venue's attendees looked like people who would show up for any MP-related thing (Shirts saying Shattered Fortress, Winery Dogs etc), but outside of that group of people I don't think many went to see the show.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4087 on: May 27, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »
Well, it's a new band in a genre of music that isn't terribly popular.  For NYC, it was just booked for a bigger venue.  They could have played where The Shattered Fortress show was which is almost half the size and the attendance would have been good.  These guys need exposure to build a fan base, relying just on their names isn't leading to sell outs.  Also, they didn't really bring along a solid opener to draw in some new fans, if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't of even knew there was an opener (or two).

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4088 on: May 27, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
I think the simple explanation is that the album just wasn't all that greatly received. The venue's attendees looked like people who would show up for any MP-related thing (Shirts saying Shattered Fortress, Winery Dogs etc), but outside of that group of people I don't think many went to see the show.

That's it..... I'm a Portnoy fanboy and if I like what he is involved in I will travel and book a hotel to see him as I did twice last year. Meal Morse Band and The Shattered Fortress in Malmö..

But if I don't like the album, like Psycotic Symphony, I will not go out of my way to see him even if he is playing in Stockholm. Would go if it aligned perfectly perhaps....

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4089 on: May 28, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »
Well, it's a new band in a genre of music that isn't terribly popular.  For NYC, it was just booked for a bigger venue.  They could have played where The Shattered Fortress show was which is almost half the size and the attendance would have been good.  These guys need exposure to build a fan base, relying just on their names isn't leading to sell outs.  Also, they didn't really bring along a solid opener to draw in some new fans, if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't of even knew there was an opener (or two).

Great post. The part I put in bold letters may have been something the guys were counting on.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4090 on: May 28, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »

Great post. The part I put in bold letters may have been something the guys were counting on.

That’s because none of them, maybe except Bumblefoot with GnR, have been part of a big act in the last couple years. Derek’s last big gig was DT, and that’s saying something. Maybe Billy with Mr. Big, but the real “mr. big” there is Paul Gilbert. Don’t know what JSS was doing before this, but don’t think it was too big either. And Mike... well, he’s been playing with so many bands/people lately that he’s become “that” guy who will absolutely play with anynody just to mark a check on his list. This leads to an MP saturation on a market that isn’t too big to begin with. It’s probably the same group of MP fans that go out and see his many bands live, but nothing more than his usual reach.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4091 on: May 28, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
but nothing more than his usual reach.

Yea, that's essentially it.  This band didn't get out to much people besides the biggest fans of these guys and specifically MP.  I sent a picture from the SOA show to my friend who is a big GNR fan and was so happy for me to see Bumblefoot, he knew him from a pic (I didn't say who the band was) and yet he had no idea of SOA. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4092 on: May 28, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »

I can vouch for that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4093 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »

I can vouch for that.

I'm honestly just surprised about the front row part of that. Sure, SoA might not fill the place, but MP has a large following of hardcore fans so I'm surprised that you were able to snag a spot up front easily.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4094 on: May 29, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
I personally didn't push to the front row, but I was maybe three or four people from the barrier and if I wanted to, I could have been closer.   I know for me, I let a guy nose up in front of me and was still as close as I wanted to be.