Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 467332 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3815 on: April 25, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
Anybody going to the Seattle show on the 30th?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3816 on: April 25, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »
Looks like they're playing the same exact setlist as before.  Hmmmmm....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3817 on: April 25, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
Ron continues to impress me  :lol

Also surprised they had so much booze, although they admit half the band doesn't drink

Once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

And it doesn't hurt if you have a rider that gets you a bottle at every gig.

I'll be seeing them down here in a couple of weeks. No idea what to expect, but these five guys can't put on anything short of a good show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3818 on: April 25, 2018, 02:52:10 PM »

Did you expect they would pull some more rare tracks from their catalog?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3819 on: April 25, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »

DON'T LOOK PAST ME
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3820 on: April 25, 2018, 03:16:05 PM »
Ron continues to impress me  :lol

Also surprised they had so much booze, although they admit half the band doesn't drink

Once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

And it doesn't hurt if you have a rider that gets you a bottle at every gig.

I'll be seeing them down here in a couple of weeks. No idea what to expect, but these five guys can't put on anything short of a good show.

I feel the same way, I'll see them mid may in NYC.  Don't love the album, but I expect a solid show when you consider the musicians.  Maybe I'll enjoy some of the other tracks I didn't love when I see it live.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3821 on: April 25, 2018, 03:18:31 PM »
I might just go to see Felix Martin since I already saw SoA in Orlando.

Fuck me sideways: I'm on a business trip on the 7th.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3822 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »

Their as in their collective catalog, yes. They're playing about 30 minutes from the last place they played in my area. It was a decent show but only bringing out a couple new things would make me consider round 2. Seems odd considering how rabid people were about Dream Theater's varying setlists when they were often playing 5 or 6 hours away from the last date and the same market a year apart or whatever.  Now SoA is playing only a few months later a stone's throw from the last place and it doesn't look like they'll switch it up.

Of course, maybe theyll play Raising the Knife and I'll really regret not going.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3823 on: April 25, 2018, 04:05:12 PM »

Their as in their collective catalog, yes. They're playing about 30 minutes from the last place they played in my area. It was a decent show but only bringing out a couple new things would make me consider round 2. Seems odd considering how rabid people were about Dream Theater's varying setlists when they were often playing 5 or 6 hours away from the last date and the same market a year apart or whatever.  Now SoA is playing only a few months later a stone's throw from the last place and it doesn't look like they'll switch it up.

Of course, maybe theyll play Raising the Knife and I'll really regret not going.

I find it ironic that many people complain about DT not doing rotating setlits since Portnoy left, but none of MP's post DT projects have done that either. So, yes, you have a very valid point here.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3824 on: April 25, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »

I find it ironic that many people complain about DT not doing rotating setlits since Portnoy left, but none of MP's post DT projects have done that either. So, yes, you have a very valid point here.

Yet, those projects only have so many songs, and they're songs that aren't long either.

The only exception is Transatlantic, they have more songs that are longer in length. I guess you can count Flying Colors.

Did Winery Dogs play a headline set and what was the length?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3825 on: April 25, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »

There are only so many ways you can shuffle 10 songs. DT had a pretty big catalog. Their 1st few tours I think the setlist was pretty static.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3826 on: April 25, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
Sherinian on a guitar does sound pretty cool: https://twitter.com/DerekSherinian/status/989265184567869440

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3827 on: April 25, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »

I think the first leg of the tour was really just a warm up, play together in small clubs for a short tour.  This tour is more extensive and bigger, so I think they are just bringing what they brought and practiced to the main tour now.  Would be cool to throw in different covers, but I can't say I was expecting them to change anything up for this.

Did Winery Dogs play a headline set and what was the length?

Yup, saw them during their last US headline tour.  I don't recall exactly the length, but at least 1.5 hours and they did 18 songs.  Didn't rotate songs at all that tour.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3828 on: April 25, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

I feel the same way, I'll see them mid may in NYC.  Don't love the album, but I expect a solid show when you consider the musicians.  Maybe I'll enjoy some of the other tracks I didn't love when I see it live.

I was a very 'warm' fan heading in to the show on last sunday. After giving the release another listen a few months after the fact I was more receptive to a couple of the songs. So, I was pleasantly surprised by the show on Sunday. They are pro's and certainly put on a 'show' and make it worth the $$$. JSS and Bumblefoot outshine the others by far.

Here's my opinion on the show I posted on a previous page:

I went to the show last night in St. Louis. Took my two sons as my oldest REALLY wanted to see MP and the other wanted to see another concert. They had a blast and at one point they were both down right up on the stage just digging it......it was cool to see as a parent. My oldest's night was made when MP saw him throwing up the 'devil horns' during 'Sign of the Times' and he pointed his drum stick directly at him in acknowledgement.

I'm gonna offer a fair opinion on this show. It's no secret that DS and MP tainted my initial opinion of the release due to their juvenile behavior leading to the release. They were tacky and immature and it soured me big time on the album. So much so that I didn't give it a fair shake when it was first released. It wasn't until months later that I spun it again and found a couple of the songs enjoyable and took the album for what it was and not what DS and MP tried and lied like hell to convince everyone what it would be. That being said...

The stars of the show are JSS and Bumblefoot. JSS sounds pretty frickin' awesome live and he improved every song with his live performance. It resembles what was recorded for the album but it's so much more powerful and energetic. The dude ran the show and was engaged with the crowd....interacting....just a real solid 'front man'. I was really impressed with him and hope that 'if' they do another album they unleash him to sing like he did at this show and not water him down like they did on the album.

Bumblefoot was a blast to watch. He was all over the stage making sure everyone got an up close shot of him jamming....and the venue they played in St. Louis really allows you to get up close. I honestly had no idea that he was that talented of a player....but he really is. And he has a really good voice as well. He filled the night with good back ground vocals.

Billy on Bass amazes me that he's 68 and playing like he does. It's pretty incredible actually. To tour and keep that pace at his age. Has to be so draining for a 30 year old, much less someone nearing 70! He had a cool solo and all in all put on a great 'show' himself. Again, I can't believe the dude is that old and still performing like he does.

MP was MP. He's a showman and incredible drummer. I think these songs don't particularly highlight his abilities but he is crisp and on point and like the others I've mentioned thus far.....a good showman. He did take a couple holidays on the double bass parts in 'God of the Sun' and 'Sign of the Times' which annoys the hell out of me personally when he does that and he doesn't have to play the songs note for note but when you're expecting the double bass to power those parts and it's just the single kick drum it does change the song. But that's a nit pic.

DS. Easily the most forgettable member of the band and boring part of the show. I do not find his playing all that inspiring or inspired. If I had to sum his contribution up in one word it'd be 'boring'. All the other guys....including a 70 year old man.....were REALLY in to it and selling that experience and DS was what looked to me going through the motions. His 'sound' is not that alluring in the first place then couple that with his ho hum approach and like I said.....he's easy to forget being that his band mates all brought their game faces and he looked like he wasn't expecting to start.

Anyway....if you like this band I'd definitely say go see them. I am/was impartial to them and only went because my kiddos wanted to see MP play live. That being said.....JSS and Bumblefoot really impressed me and made me glad I went because they alone may have swung my opinion of the band in general and actually make me look forward to a second album from them....just to see what a touring cycle of bonding and getting to 'learn' each others abilities more and perhaps more time in the studio to craft and album could lead those guys to produce.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3829 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »
I was a very 'warm' fan heading in to the show on last sunday. After giving the release another listen a few months after the fact I was more receptive to a couple of the songs. So, I was pleasantly surprised by the show on Sunday. They are pro's and certainly put on a 'show' and make it worth the $$$. JSS and Bumblefoot outshine the others by far.

It's not even an expensive concert.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3830 on: April 26, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
Wanna take a tour of their tourbus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZyJqxKcj0

I have exactly the same mini-guitar :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3831 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »
Wanna take a tour of their tourbus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZyJqxKcj0

I have exactly the same mini-guitar :lol

But do you climb in your bed the same way Bumblefoot does?  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3832 on: April 26, 2018, 08:58:15 AM »

Well, I took my two sons (+me) that was $35 a ticket through ticket master and then bought them both a concert T-shirt for $25 a pop. So, I dropped near $150.   :lol   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3833 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »

Well, I took my two sons (+me) that was $35 a ticket through ticket master and then bought them both a concert T-shirt for $25 a pop. So, I dropped near $150.   :lol

Well yea, I didn't include the booze I will purchase, just talking about the ticket, for myself.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3834 on: April 26, 2018, 11:09:33 AM »
Shirts are $25? Thanks for the info!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3835 on: April 26, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
That's actually not bad at all.  I mean, I still won't get one, but still.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3836 on: April 26, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »
I bought my first concert Tshirt last weekend in maybe 10 years  :lol and maybe 15 years if you don't count fake ones.  I thought at 25$ it was fair for the awesome show they put on.  Even though the money more directly supports the band than other purchases, paying more than 25 for a tshirt is just too much, especially cause I don't ever actually wear them.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3837 on: April 26, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Shirts are $25? Thanks for the info!

Yeah....there was a $35 dollar one as well and then the hoodies, hats etc that were a bit more.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3838 on: April 26, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »
That's actually not bad at all.  I mean, I still won't get one, but still.  :lol

I thought you were going to wear your custom "MIKE PORTNOY'S #1 FAN BOY" shirt? Have a change of heart, bosk?  :biggrin:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3839 on: April 26, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »

I thought you were going to wear your custom "MIKE PORTNOY'S #1 FAN BOY" shirt? Have a change of heart, bosk?  :biggrin:

:lol  Yeah, I've actually conjured up imaginary scenarios in my mind where I'm having a conversation with Jeff or Ron or Billy by the bus, and either Mike or Derek walks up, and I look at them for a split second, and then ignore them and carry on my conversation as if they weren't there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3840 on: April 26, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »

:lol  Yeah, I've actually conjured up imaginary scenarios in my mind where I'm having a conversation with Jeff or Ron or Billy by the bus, and either Mike or Derek walks up, and I look at them for a split second, and then ignore them and carry on my conversation as if they weren't there.

I'll bail you out. I have to get my FII stuff signed by those two, and tell them to play Anna Lee.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3841 on: April 26, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
Yeah, if that scenario were to actually happen, I give you full permission to pretend you don't know me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3842 on: April 26, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »
Yeah, if that scenario were to actually happen, I give you full permission to pretend you don't know me.

I do that all the time, so no prob.  :lol ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3843 on: April 26, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
Likewise.  But maybe for different reasons.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3844 on: April 29, 2018, 01:56:31 AM »
Back from seeing Sons of Apollo this weekend. I have to say, they surprised me. Not in the quality of the performance, as that was top-notch, as expected. It was that this really felt like a real BAND, and not a project. I just assumed, like many groups that come together with well established players from other acts, it was going to feel like "forced chemistry." I was happily wrong. Sons of Apollo genuinely has on-stage chemistry and feels like a true band. It was between all of them, but JSS and Bumblefoot in particular. Those guys are two peas in a pod. MP was having a blast too - didn't really talk much at all, but he didn't need to. You could see the joy on his face. Billy was Billy - had fun, played well, fit in, although he's starting to show his age a bit (no offense intended whatsoever, but you can tell he's from the generation before these guys). The one guy who I expected to be more into it was Derek. I think he was having issues with his tech, because a couple of times, he waved him away from the stage, and then after finishing a section, he jumped down, ran to the side, and was letting the dude know about it. I think it got him out of the flow of an otherwise great show (and Derek played excellent).

What was telling for me was that I went into the show just looking forward to hearing the DT tracks they were doing, as I love FII. I was hoping they sounded great, and the stuff on Sons' Psychotic Symphony, at least for me, was an entertaining set of songs and that would be it (I give the record about a 6.5/10 or so. It's OK, but doesn't blow me away). Well, not only did the band SLAY those two DT tunes, but the rest of the set turned me into a Sons of Apollo believer. It made me want to go listen to the album again - because the tunes came off really well live, and it clicked.

JSS was a big part of that. I felt he sang very reserved on the record, but live, my God, what a frontman. I have seen him multiple times with TSO, and once fronting Journey (in 2006). That latter time, he sang very well, but was trying to find his groove fronting that band. The two or three times I saw TSO, he wasn't reserved by choice, it was just the nature of the performance. Well, with Sons of Apollo, we got the true JSS. A TON of energy, all over the stage, singing his guts out, believing in every lyric he's singing. He doesn't have the range he once did, but it doesn't matter. The combo of him, with Bumblefoot's higher pitch harmonizing on top of him, was great. It gave the vocals on the Sons songs that extra bit of dynamics they needed.  I am not sure if JSS did this at other shows, but during the encore, with the cover song in it (I know it is a bit of a spoiler, but not revealing what it is), he even went out into the crowd and sang the beginning walking back up through the middle of the audience. Just a wonderful all around performance.

I admit I wasn't sold on JSS as the frontman for this band. I was wrong. He brings such an enthusiasm, and his voice and Bumble's mix so well together, it really makes the songs come alive.

If you're on the fence about going, do yourself a favor and buy a ticket. They played for almost two hours, and the combination of musicianship, great singing, and great energy are worth it. And who knows, if you were lukewarm on the Sons of Apollo record itself, the gig may just make you change your mind. It did for me.

p.s. About Bumblefoot -- that dude can shred, and he plays with such soul. This was my first time seeing him (I had seen the other guys in other bands previously), and I came away really impressed. A great showman and even greater player (not to mention, as I said earlier, a really nice voice).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3845 on: April 29, 2018, 03:23:01 AM »
Sons of Apollo genuinely has on-stage chemistry and feels like a true band. It was between all of them, but JSS and Bumblefoot in particular. Those guys are two peas in a pod.

Well, maybe then it's no coincidence that they did that "life on the tourbus" video I posted a bit above.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3846 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
Here's some vids for those that like checking out the shows:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJI-MjWF9aD_PWzG9Szk6w3cLy7r_MkUl

Quality is OK. My phone is getting old.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3847 on: April 29, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
Samsara, thanks for the great review. I was kind of on the fence about going to the Seattle show tomorrow night (Monday), but after reading that I'm going for sure. Its a two hour drive along with a nice ferry ride across Puget Sound.. 😎 :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3848 on: April 29, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the vids. They have tightened up quite a bit. Now really looking forward to Thursday and Friday.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3849 on: April 29, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
For those that have been to shows, how well are they filling these venues?