Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466466 times)

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #3430 on: February 14, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »

Exactly.  For once, I completely agree with you.

Oh, crap.  Now I see.  Somebody hacked Chuck's account.
Hey! Give me a hug!  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3431 on: February 14, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3432 on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
So, in a break from your regular programming of, well, you know... I noticed Sifting is supporting Sons of Apollo. Never heard of them before so I've been checking out their current album, 'Not from Here', on Spotify, and it's not bad at all. Anyone familiar with them?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3433 on: February 14, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
So, in a break from your regular programming of, well, you know... I noticed Sifting is supporting Sons of Apollo. Never heard of them before so I've been checking out their current album, 'Not from Here', on Spotify, and it's not bad at all. Anyone familiar with them?

I'm not familiar with them, but would like to know more.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3434 on: February 14, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »

www.google.com
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3435 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »

www.google.com

That's not very helpful, Adami.

RodrigoAltaf, check out their site: https://www.siftingofficial.com
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3436 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks! I liked their Facebook page, but haven't had a chance to check them out

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3437 on: February 14, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
all things considered, i think this performance kicks ass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJSUmPZ5FM

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3438 on: February 14, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
For all of the talk about the use of the double neck guitars, you can clearly see in that performance of Labyrinth that Bumblefoot is using both necks within the same song.  He said the same in an interview that I read from the SOA facebook page, where he wrote the songs using both necks.  So his guitar definitely serves a purpose more than just for looks. 

Billy's double neck bass might just be for symmetrical purposes, unless there are videos where he uses both necks during a song.  I haven't paid enough attention to notice.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3439 on: February 14, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »
For all of the talk about the use of the double neck guitars, you can clearly see in that performance of Labyrinth that Bumblefoot is using both necks within the same song.  He said the same in an interview that I read from the SOA facebook page, where he wrote the songs using both necks.  So his guitar definitely serves a purpose more than just for looks. 

Billy's double neck bass might just be for symmetrical purposes, unless there are videos where he uses both necks during a song.  I haven't paid enough attention to notice.

We're only talking about Billy. Bumblefoot is very obviously making good use of his double neck.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3440 on: February 14, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »

We're only talking about Billy. Bumblefoot is very obviously making good use of his double neck.

Very very good use.

I totally have  a fretless boner from watching some of the videos.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3441 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
I feel Bumblefoot's use of the fretless is a mixed bag. In both videos of Labyrinth I have watched the stuff he is playing in the verse is kinda all over the place. In other places it works great, but I think he's maybe a bit overusing it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:49:22 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: February 14, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »
I have seen some videos os SOA live and seen that JSS it’s like pedaling something in front of his monitor, what is it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3443 on: February 14, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
I don't think anyone would know for sure other than him.  But in terms of what a vocalist might typically use pedals/switches for, I would guess one of the following:
-different sets of vocal effects for different parts of songs (e.g., one preset that has more reverb, one preset that is more dry, maybe one with some chorus and delay, etc.)
-on/off foot switch for his mic
-"triggered" backup vocal or other effects loops
-different monitor settings, if they don't have a separate sound guy controlling their individual monitors (or if he just likes to be able to switch things himself)

Those are my guesses.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3444 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »
I just assumed he has a screen with the lyrics that he switches through.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3445 on: February 14, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »
I just assumed he has a screen with the lyrics that he switches through.

He has an Ipad with the lyrics on the screen. Some of the Cruise to the Edge comments said something along the lines that Jeff was struggling with the lyrics and was reading them. At the Orlando, I don't think he ever stared at the Ipad. He does use some effects on some songs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3446 on: February 14, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »
I don't think anyone would know for sure other than him.  But in terms of what a vocalist might typically use pedals/switches for, I would guess one of the following:
-different sets of vocal effects for different parts of songs (e.g., one preset that has more reverb, one preset that is more dry, maybe one with some chorus and delay, etc.)
-different monitor settings, if they don't have a separate sound guy controlling their individual monitors (or if he just likes to be able to switch things himself)

Those are my guesses.

The FX such as reverb or delay or on/off are almost always handled by the sound engineer at that level. If he's switching through effects, it's more specific and unique settings, which I don't think he uses at all.

I also don't think they have any triggered vocals or effects loops, and JSS wouldn't be doing them either.

I just assume he's playing a mini-dance dance revolution from time to time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3447 on: February 14, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »

In my opinion, over the years, Mike Portnoy's focus has shifted from MP as a drummer to MP as a brand, as such, he has stopped practicing regularly, has put more emphasis on the marketing aspect of his work. Post-DT, he has largely been the least instrumentally capable member of the bands that he has been in. His strategy has been to surround himself with rather capable musicians to compensate for his own inability to play.

He's compensating for the shift in the music industry with the marketing. He seems to think he's pretty good at it but he doesn't realize that a loyal part of his fan base isn't on social media.

As far as practicing (or lack of) goes, he's never kept that a secret. What you see is what you get.  I think is still as capable as being musical as ever, he gave up on technique a long time ago if he even bothered with it at all.

As you know albums don't make money anymore so I would think it wouldn't make much economic sense to spend much time on them if you are as busy as he likes to keep himself.

Oddly enough, your opinion of surrounding himself with good musicians is the exact opinion I had when Derek started Planet X post-Dream Theater (Which is my favorite work by him, but appears to be the outlier since he doesn't seem to enjoy doing that kind of thing very much.)

Thank you for your comment.

The whole "spending time on what makes economic sense" thing is a closed loop I'm afraid. Another aspect of this approach is that if you don't give fans something to drool over, fans are going to opt out of your concerts and concerts are the main source of income for musicians these days.

I'm aware that he has made no secret of not practicing anymore, I've read several interviews of him stating it, it's why I alluded to it in my original post. However, I've seen countless drummers perform in a live setting and in the studio, multiple times over and what I can say is that there's a difference between adding new flare to your performance as a musician and still being capable of what you used to do 20 years ago. It's the intersection of creativity and technical capability that separates the great from the "That'll do.".

There's also a difference between making X amount of money from 10X projects and making that same amount of money from one project. I totally understand that it's a matter of choice, but alluding to your comment about the shift in the music industry, with the amount of choice that is available to the listener today, it is possible to have a main focus and maintain your life. Otherwise it just becomes, "Oh look, another project from.." and how many of those have we seen since September 2011? When it launched, The Winery Dogs was a "main focus" for all involved and suddenly, that disappears and we have 2018 as the Year of the Apollo.

But you are indeed right, what you see is what you get. It is also true that when fans don't like it, their money and attention is what MP does not get.

Oh, I agree that the closed loop is kind of the law of diminishing returns and as you've pointed out that's what seems to be happening. But I do think he's enjoying it and he's still trying to make it work and unfortunately there may be a point that he'll decide it's not worth it effort. He's needs a paying gig to fund all of the fun projects he wants to do.

I agree about listener choice, but I'd argue that many musicians are in the same boat to varying degrees of success. (Smaller piece of the same pie and all of that.)  The Winery Dogs I think were his best chance at a steady gig and maybe allowed him to fund his vanity projects (Most of which I love by the way.) But yeah, I think we have a similar opinion on this.

About MP as a brand, I think people who are willing to spend the money on his output are more concerned with his abilities as a musician rather than his image. I for one, could not care less about what he posts on social media or his latest photoshoot with *insert photographer name*.

Only speaking for myself here, but it's always been "about the music" from day one. So all of that extra curricular stuff doesn't interest me. There are people interested in that but maybe they aren't the fans who buy records or see shows. Can't really say.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3448 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
His live playing is still really good, but I read quite a few reviews of the Shattered Fortress shows where his playing was described as "sloppy."  It's almost like he thought, "I played that stuff so many times before that I barely need to practice it."  Some like to chalk it up to, "he never plays his stuff live like he did in the studio," but that to me is an excuse for "he didn't practice enough and had to wing it."  And yeah, he probably can play the vast majority of his stuff from memory, but when everyone else in the band is on top of their game and you are a little sloppy at times, it can be a bit distracting. 

"Sloppy" doesn't bother me all that much. If he brings the passion, honesty, inspiration and feel live I really don't have a problem with the way he plays.

I was at the first-ever A-Mob show (Never owned any of their music or swag) and while the music didn't do a lot for me, there was a united sense of  purpose and a take-no-prisoners raw attitude that I've not seen a lot of at shows for various reasons. I'm glad I went to that show because the commitment was obvious.

There are a ton of other drummers that I go to for jaw-dropping musical complexity so I've learned over the years that everyone doesn't belong in the same box.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3449 on: February 14, 2018, 05:42:39 PM »
As you know albums don't make money anymore so I would think it wouldn't make much economic sense to spend much time on them if you are as busy as he likes to keep himself.

Dear lord, please don't tell me you actually feel this way about albums.

My point was that nearly all new albums don't make any money.

How I feel about albums isn't going to the fact that they aren't profitable.

At this point they're a labor of love or should be.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3450 on: February 14, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
You know what, no matter what Portnoy and his project have this insane ability to generate discussion here. This thread was started in September and has more posts than the latest Rush thread started in 2012. I think from 2017 through now there are plenty of albums that the forum as a whole probably enjoyed more than this, yet few, if any, came close to the level of discussion that this album got. Even the Steven Wilson thread, which commands many die hard forum fans and has seen two major album releases, world tours, and various spats of PT discussion has fewer posts than this thread.

I'm not sure if this leaves me in awe or makes me want to punch my computer, but certainly a case of any press is good press, it seems.

It's possible I have more posts in the AMob thread than here. I've pretty much stayed out of it until  recently.  Not going to comment about the Rush thread.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3451 on: February 15, 2018, 07:26:03 AM »

Dear lord, please don't tell me you actually feel this way about albums.

My point was that nearly all new albums don't make any money.

How I feel about albums isn't going to the fact that they aren't profitable.

At this point they're a labor of love or should be.

So your first point was that it doesn't make much sense to spend time on albums and your second point is that albums should be a labor of love? Makes perfect sense  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: February 15, 2018, 07:32:16 AM »
So refresh my memory, has anyone here actually seen Sons of Apollo live yet?

I am going with a friend on Sunday because he really wants to see Portnoy and bought the tickets, so... that's a thing that's happening for me. Not sure if we'll get there early for the opener or just show up late.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:35 AM »

I am going with a friend on Sunday because he really wants to see Portnoy and bought the tickets, so... that's a thing that's happening for me. Not sure if we'll get there early for the opener or just show up late.

Someone in this thread has said so, I would of been going tonight in Asbury Park but am in Denver instead.  As much as I've been critical of the band, I'm kind of bummed I can't make it to the show.  Seems like a fun gig and it was cheap and local to me.  I wonder how the turn out is though

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3454 on: February 15, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »
In my opinion, over the years, Mike Portnoy's focus has shifted from MP as a drummer to MP as a brand, as such, he has stopped practicing regularly, has put more emphasis on the marketing aspect of his work. Post-DT, he has largely been the least instrumentally capable member of the bands that he has been in. His strategy has been to surround himself with rather capable musicians to compensate for his own inability to play.

Some things about this paragraph have bothered me since reading it yesterday, and I had to let it sit for a bit to collect my thoughts. 

I think your comment about Mike focusing more on the "brand" of Mike Portnoy is pretty spot on.  I think that started a lot earlier on than most people realize, and has grown through the years.  Where I disagree with that concept somewhat is on there being shift from "Mike Portnoy the drummer" to "Mike Portnoy the brand."  I don't think the focus on Mike as "the drummer" has diminished much.  And it doesn't HAVE TO be at the expense of an emphasis on "the brand."  Yes, there definitely has been more emphasis on "the brand."  But I don't see much if any shift away from "the drummer" at all.  "Practicing less" doesn't necessarily equate to that.  Plus, I think the "practicing less," which Mike has made no bones about, is often taken out of context, and more is made of that comment than he meant.  As I understand it, the emphasis in his commentary along those lines is that he doesn't, as younger drummers more often do, sit alone in a practice room honing specific techniques.  But the loss of time doing that is also met with an increase in time actually playing as a drummer.  It isn't like he is spending all his practice time sitting on the couch with a bowl of ice cream.

And that brings me to the comment I disagree with most in that paragraph about "surround[ing] himself with rather capable musicians to compensate for his own inability to play."  I don't hear any "inability to play."  Say what you want about Mike the person (and from my interactions with him, I could say plenty).  But Mike the drummer is world class.  We can argue all day about which drummers might be "better."  But I don't really care to.  He is in that elite class in his genre where I think ranking is pretty pointless.  Is he perhaps a bit sloppier and looser live nowadays than, say, in the Awake era?  You can make that argument if you like, and I won't challenge it.  But there is no "inability to play" anywhere that I am hearing, either on albums or live.  And he has always tried to surround himself with great musicians, no matter what band or project he is on.  I'm not sure what musician doesn't.  Why NOT get the best guitar player, keyboardist, vocalist, bassist, etc. that you can find that suits the project you are working on?  That point doesn't really hold any water, and isn't really supported by the facts.  Mike surrounds himself with elite musicians because he is an elite musician.  I don't even really see how that is debatable.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3455 on: February 15, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »
I'm not the worlds biggest fan of MP the 'man'. I think my posting history would reflect that. BUT....I've never lost the love and excitement to listen to MP and to see him play live. When The Neal Morse Band came through last January and they played TSOAD....he didn't miss a beat and was incredible to watch and listen to. His playing hasn't slipped a bit IMO.

You can start to argue about his creativity and lack of developing 'new' sounds but even that'll fall flat because his chest of tricks that he uses in his songs may not be expanding but when he uses them to create music with whichever group he's doing it in.....it sounds great.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3456 on: February 15, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »

Those are my guesses.

The FX such as reverb or delay or on/off are almost always handled by the sound engineer at that level. If he's switching through effects, it's more specific and unique settings, which I don't think he uses at all.

I also don't think they have any triggered vocals or effects loops, and JSS wouldn't be doing them either.

Not necessarily.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3457 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »

I went to the Orlando show. Skip the opener. I hare to say this to an up and starting band but it was embarrasing to see.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3458 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:12 AM »
In general I agree with Bosk. MP was the only one to have an active online presence in DT for many years, was the one spearheading Ytsejam, and was the only one regularly putting out MP branded releases. He was the only one also with a regular assortment of major projects and tours on the side. Not to say Jordan and Petrucci didn't do some of it, but certainly not to the extent of Portnoy.

And Portnoy has never been shy to say that his technique practice is practically non-existent, but at the end of the day he remains one of the most thrilling and captivating drummers to watch in the entire genre. He is certainly not the most original or talented at this point, but there is a very good reason he remains a fan favorite in spite of that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #3459 on: February 15, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
If MP was not a good drummer, he wouldn't be able to get all these musicians to play with him for his projects and he wouldn't be asked to play on albums/tours by Neal Morse and various others. You can know people and be friends with people but at the end of the day if you can't play, someone else gets the gig or people decline to work with you.

I do agree that MP is extremely predictable now. There's been nothing new in his style/fills/approach for quite some time. A positive quality is that he still knows how to play to the music.

Case in point, on God of the Sun that opening fill fits perfect with the song. It's a fill he's done forever, but it goes great.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3460 on: February 15, 2018, 09:28:11 AM »

Those are my guesses.

Not necessarily.

True. But probably.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DTA

« Reply #3461 on: February 15, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
His playing has become insanely boring and predictable. I miss how he used to incorporate the extra percussion on his kit (octobans, stacks, timbalitos, tambourine, cowbell) into actual grooves and drum parts. He eliminated most of it and only uses octobans to start big drum fills across the kit. He wanted DT to take some time off to recharge their batteries, but maybe he should take a year or two off from any projects and try to reinvigorate his own playing ala Neil.

His pump-and-dump album creation method is also getting tiring as everything is starting to blend into one similar sound. SoA sounds like AMob with keys. FC, TA, and TNMB are almost becoming indistinguishable from each other to the point where I'm not sure TA needs to exist anymore. I don't necessarily blame him for that, but since he insists on being producer/leader of every project, I can see him pushing the musicians in a certain way that's making everything homogeneous.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: February 15, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »
I will gladly give a fair and as-unbiased-as-I-possibly-can review of the show and Mike's playing Sunday night or sometime Monday... I've never seen MP live so I have nothing to compare to other than the DT concert films.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3463 on: February 15, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »
His playing has become insanely boring and predictable. I miss how he used to incorporate the extra percussion on his kit (octobans, stacks, timbalitos, tambourine, cowbell) into actual grooves and drum parts. He eliminated most of it and only uses octobans to start big drum fills across the kit. He wanted DT to take some time off to recharge their batteries, but maybe he should take a year or two off from any projects and try to reinvigorate his own playing ala Neil.

His pump-and-dump album creation method is also getting tiring as everything is starting to blend into one similar sound. SoA sounds like AMob with keys. FC, TA, and TNMB are almost becoming indistinguishable from each other to the point where I'm not sure TA needs to exist anymore. I don't necessarily blame him for that, but since he insists on being producer/leader of every project, I can see him pushing the musicians in a certain way that's making everything homogeneous.

I agree with much of this, however I think The Neal Morse band is still mainly written by Neal Morse and sounds different. I think his drumming is best with Neal at least with Similitude because I think of two reasons.

1. Neal pushes MP
2. MP looks up to Neal and pushes himself

But then again I am just some random guy on the internet so what the heck do I know?? :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3464 on: February 15, 2018, 10:53:15 AM »

I agree with much of this, however I think The Neal Morse band is still mainly written by Neal Morse and sounds different. I think his drumming is best with Neal at least with Similitude because I think of two reasons.

1. Neal pushes MP
2. MP looks up to Neal and pushes himself

But then again I am just some random guy on the internet so what the heck do I know?? :)

I think you're spot on. MP's best drumming post DT is with TNMB and it's due to the players involved, not just Neal but Bill, Randy and Eric as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind