Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466636 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2870 on: December 08, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »
That DTP shirt is amazing. :lol

I'd wear that in a heartbeat.   After writing him off for years, Devin Townsend is SCREAMING up my list of favorite artists like a moon shot.  That's my sense of humor right there (and, incidentally the way I took Derek's comment on "history"; not serious but self-deprecating as he noodled in the studio).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2871 on: December 08, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
MP's concerts are starting to feel like talent shows put on for family and friends.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2872 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

I'd wear that in a heartbeat.   After writing him off for years, Devin Townsend is SCREAMING up my list of favorite artists like a moon shot.  That's my sense of humor right there (and, incidentally the way I took Derek's comment on "history"; not serious but self-deprecating as he noodled in the studio).

This is only slightly off-topic but did you ever see the video of him singing Burning My Soul with PSMS at ProgNation At Sea 2014? Not work safe cause of language, but man. Funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKKI233rHE
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2873 on: December 08, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
it's no review, it's just naming some bandnames and mentioning the bandmembers saying they're doing their thing. no insight into the music or anything like it. remove the hypewords and there's nothing left..

But if it was negative, all of a sudden it would turn into a valid review for the eyes and ears of those who don't like the band. And all of a sudden, Metal Hammer would be a great source of information for metal news.

120% this, RodrigoAltaf.
240% delusion.

There's evidence of that in this very thread...
If you think that some people here are unreasonable towards SoA, that’s a point of view you could probably defend, but definitely not by being equally or even more unreasonable than them. But ok, I’ll bite, let’s see your evidence: where is that rudimentary negative review that is considered valid and a great source of information, just because it’s negative? Or anything even remotely similar to that?
I won't skim through 82 pages just to prove my point, but there are a bunch of negative reviews that came out before the album was released that got a lot of attention and highlight here - relevant or not, well written or not, detailed enough or not. Some people are choosing to hate whatever comes from SOA and are making a point of posting here in a topic that's supposed to be for fans who want to follow that band and be informed about it. The level of hate this is getting is not experienced towards ANY band here in DTF.

I think you are mistaken, I don't recall seeing a very bad review of them. Some  are over the top good at most is the one someone wrote here and even that it was a 7. Which Derek dismissed him as being a fan boy or something like that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: December 08, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »

This is only slightly off-topic but did you ever see the video of him singing Burning My Soul with PSMS at ProgNation At Sea 2014? Not work safe cause of language, but man. Funny as hell.

"C'mon you prog fuckin' geeks!" and later, "As a group of men, I say unto thee..."  At least he knows his audience.   ;) 

What did the band say about that?   That seems to be in line with the Devin that I have (albeit in limited fashion) been exposed to, and in keeping with his sense of humor.    But I can see the band saying "Not funny, dude."   

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2875 on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »
Yea, MP doesn't seem to show a lot of self-deprecating humor, but that's what Devin does better than other musicians.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »
Yea, MP doesn't seem to show a lot of self-deprecating humor, but that's what Devin does better than other musicians.

I'm not professing to be a Devin Townsend expert now, but from what I gather, from his book and some of the writings on his website, he's FAR more about the process than the output.   It's the emotion that went into the creation, where his head was at, and what he was trying to explore by letting that music out.   Mike strikes me as far more into the output.  This is my song, this is my statement, recognize it.   Those two outlooks could NOT be more polar opposites.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »

"C'mon you prog fuckin' geeks!" and later, "As a group of men, I say unto thee..."  At least he knows his audience.   ;) 

What did the band say about that?   That seems to be in line with the Devin that I have (albeit in limited fashion) been exposed to, and in keeping with his sense of humor.    But I can see the band saying "Not funny, dude."

I don't know about any comments from the band but it looks like Mike was having a hell of a time during that. Some YouTube comments tell me that some people in the audience were NOT having fun. Unless you were talking about Dream Theater... then I have no idea if they've even seen that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2878 on: December 08, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
it's no review, it's just naming some bandnames and mentioning the bandmembers saying they're doing their thing. no insight into the music or anything like it. remove the hypewords and there's nothing left..

But if it was negative, all of a sudden it would turn into a valid review for the eyes and ears of those who don't like the band. And all of a sudden, Metal Hammer would be a great source of information for metal news.

120% this, RodrigoAltaf.
240% delusion.

If you think that some people here are unreasonable towards SoA, that’s a point of view you could probably defend, but definitely not by being equally or even more unreasonable than them. But ok, I’ll bite, let’s see your evidence: where is that rudimentary negative review that is considered valid and a great source of information, just because it’s negative? Or anything even remotely similar to that?
I won't skim through 82 pages just to prove my point, but there are a bunch of negative reviews that came out before the album was released that got a lot of attention and highlight here - relevant or not, well written or not, detailed enough or not. Some people are choosing to hate whatever comes from SOA and are making a point of posting here in a topic that's supposed to be for fans who want to follow that band and be informed about it. The level of hate this is getting is not experienced towards ANY band here in DTF.

I think you are mistaken, I don't recall seeing a very bad review of them. Some  are over the top good at most is the one someone wrote here and even that it was a 7. Which Derek dismissed him as being a fan boy or something like that.

So the consensus here now is that, outside this forum, the overall reviews of the album are good to very good? I’m truly confused, because I understood that the point here was to prove the other way round, at least for the so called well written reviews.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2879 on: December 08, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »

I don't know about any comments from the band but it looks like Mike was having a hell of a time during that. Some YouTube comments tell me that some people in the audience were NOT having fun. Unless you were talking about Dream Theater... then I have no idea if they've even seen that.

Well, that explains Devin pointing at people and saying "You hate me!  I can tell!"  Haha.  I like artists that challenge like that.   

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2880 on: December 08, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »

120% this, RodrigoAltaf.
240% delusion.

So the consensus here now is that, outside this forum, the overall reviews of the album are good to very good? I’m truly confused, because I understood that the point here was to prove the other way round, at least for the so called well written reviews.

I don't think the point anyone had was to show the album got bad reviews. I know many here did not like it and many including Bosk, the forum admin did like it. I think the "poking fun" is towards the sales and venue sizes. Also towards DS and MP's arrogance. It seemed to get a lot of good reviews. It's not a bad album at all, just nothing new or to me worth going back to.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2881 on: December 08, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
Cool, I guess this thread became really a mess, too much noise in any discussion  :D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2882 on: December 08, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »

Well, that explains Devin pointing at people and saying "You hate me!  I can tell!"  Haha.  I like artists that challenge like that.

I'm pretty sure Mike was fine with it - he posted something about it either on FB or his forum saying that it was all in fun. 

In general, I find his humor at shows to be hit or miss.  I don't mind a few comments over the course of a show, and I've seen him like that and prefer it. A couple times he's been just a bit too much - making me want him to just shut up and play already.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2883 on: December 08, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »

I'm not professing to be a Devin Townsend expert now, but from what I gather, from his book and some of the writings on his website, he's FAR more about the process than the output.   It's the emotion that went into the creation, where his head was at, and what he was trying to explore by letting that music out.   Mike strikes me as far more into the output.  This is my song, this is my statement, recognize it.   Those two outlooks could NOT be more polar opposites.

Plus, Devin is actually appreciative of every single one of his fans.  Seriously, I went to his show here back in May, where there couldn't have been more than a few hundred people, and he had so much joy and enthusiasm you would have thought he was playing to 20K.  Devin is easily THE most fan-friendly musician in the business these days.

Also, I would have bought that DTP shirt at the show had they had it in my size. >:(

Offline Adami

« Reply #2884 on: December 08, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »
Even though I don't dig his newer music quite as much, Devin will always be my favorite musician as a person.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2885 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
I love that performance. Devin's hilarious in his rambles on the verses, but man, he really tears it up on the chorus. So energy! Power! :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #2886 on: December 08, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
I love that performance. Devin's hilarious in his rambles on the verses, but man, he really tears it up on the chorus. So energy! Power! :metal

I've rarely seen anyone so confidently not know the song lol

But yea, when he actually screams burning my soul.....shivers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2887 on: December 08, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
I like Devin Townsend. Just not his music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
:P
« Reply #2888 on: December 08, 2017, 07:56:31 PM »
Man, then what are you doing in the Devin Townsend thread?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2889 on: December 08, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »

I prefer the new lyrics Devin sang:

As a group of men, I say unto thee...
I say it's green, then you sir say it's red
What's my next line
Keep your thoughts and ideas locked in your head you dick!
We have someone who can sing this instead, thank god
And he sounds just like James LaBrie!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2890 on: December 09, 2017, 02:02:13 AM »
I respectfully do not agree with that.    That's the musical equivalent of "did you see what she was wearing?" or "I know you are but what am I?", that game that school kids play.    Regardless of anything Derek did, we have a personal responsibility to control our own behavior.    It's one thing to say, in response to Derek's comments, "I don't agree with that", or even "I don't feel comfortable supporting that project."    It's entirely another thing to call Derek names, ascribe motivations (that we have no way of knowing) and by proxy ascribing this all to Mike as well (because apparently, being the final arbiter of decisions in the band seems to make you responsible for pre-approving any social media release even on other people's personal twitter account).  Either way, though, own the response, don't blame the band.
This is exactly the issue I have with this thread. Double standards.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2891 on: December 09, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
I respectfully do not agree with that.    That's the musical equivalent of "did you see what she was wearing?" or "I know you are but what am I?", that game that school kids play.    Regardless of anything Derek did, we have a personal responsibility to control our own behavior.    It's one thing to say, in response to Derek's comments, "I don't agree with that", or even "I don't feel comfortable supporting that project."    It's entirely another thing to call Derek names, ascribe motivations (that we have no way of knowing) and by proxy ascribing this all to Mike as well (because apparently, being the final arbiter of decisions in the band seems to make you responsible for pre-approving any social media release even on other people's personal twitter account).  Either way, though, own the response, don't blame the band.
This is exactly the issue I have with this thread. Double standards.

I see a lot of that also, but probably not in the way you're thinking. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: December 09, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

:lol this guy doesn't like me as he points to Derk Shershersherin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2893 on: December 11, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
I think Mike's comment about this place being full of trolls is starting to hold some weight, no?
No.

Some people are choosing to hate whatever comes from SOA and are making a point of posting here in a topic that's supposed to be for fans who want to follow that band and be informed about it. The level of hate this is getting is not experienced towards ANY band here in DTF.

Well, I have been following the thread for all 82 pages, and I can say without hesitation that what you just said is not even remotely accurate.  If that is what you think, you are not being even slightly objective in your reading of this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2894 on: December 11, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
I think Mike's comment about this place being full of trolls is starting to hold some weight, no?
No.

Some people are choosing to hate whatever comes from SOA and are making a point of posting here in a topic that's supposed to be for fans who want to follow that band and be informed about it. The level of hate this is getting is not experienced towards ANY band here in DTF.

Well, I have been following the thread for all 82 pages, and I can say without hesitation that what you just said is not even remotely accurate.  If that is what you think, you are not being even slightly objective in your reading of this thread.

Or you're not reading the posts the way I am.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: December 11, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
Ah, subjective determination of motivation. Sounds like a good proggy title for SoA's next album  :metal  :lol  :biggrin:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2896 on: December 11, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
"SDOM", even the acronym works good  :D I wonder why didn't any other band think of it before  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2897 on: December 11, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »
No.

Methinks you could use a little self-examination. I called you out on your obvious BS on the previous page, and your reply was "I won't skim through 82 pages just to prove my point." Nice. It's really hard to take your "points" and your biased, baseless generalizations seriously.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2898 on: December 11, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »
No.

Methinks you could use a little self-examination. I called you out on your obvious BS on the previous page, and your reply was "I won't skim through 82 pages just to prove my point." Nice. It's really hard to take your "points" and your biased, baseless generalizations seriously.

I think you're the one who needs self examination, because my point of view still stands: a lot of people in this thread are determined to hate SOA, no matter what. And I suggest we stop our little debate right there, because it's not going anywhere.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2899 on: December 11, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
Yes, the debate does need to stop.  There is no evidence of "a lot of people in this thread are determined to hate SOA, no matter what," so please stop misrepresenting people that post here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2900 on: December 11, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »
I am determined to hate SOA no matter what.

Service Oriented Architecture needs to be stopped, once and for all!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2901 on: December 11, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
I knew it would be you.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2902 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »
I knew it would be you.

It's a matter of principle.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2903 on: December 12, 2017, 04:19:59 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2904 on: December 12, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)