Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464451 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #2380 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
Boy, bosk1's rule about not attacking former band members with personal insults is really, really hard to comply with!

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2381 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:00 AM »
Derek sure gives a masterclass in being unfunny, petty, obnoxious, and insecure. I can only imagine what a tiresome chore it will be for the other guys to tour with him. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2382 on: November 22, 2017, 06:33:35 AM »
Wooooow
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2383 on: November 22, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »
Some more Sherinianisms:

Well, the guy said that it's very good and a top 5 album of the year and... give it a 6/10? ::)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2384 on: November 22, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
It seems sometimes that people are too shy to just admit that really liked this album, like it was something not very well received socially. I mean, if you love ABBA, why don't you say it OUT LOUD? ;D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2385 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »
Man, this band's social media presence is rough, that's the sort of stuff local high school bands do on Facebook. Yikes.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2386 on: November 22, 2017, 07:48:56 AM »
Boy, bosk1's rule about not attacking former band members with personal insults is really, really hard to comply with!
It really shouldn't be. I find it quite easy to not attack or insult anyone.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:57 AM »
It really shouldn't be. I find it quite easy to not attack or insult anyone.

You're right, of course. I woke up a bit grumpy this morning and was tempted to resort to name calling, but in retrospect, it's Derek's behavior I object to, not him as a person.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2388 on: November 22, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »
Just another reason why this band won't see a single penny from me.

I'd love to see a Trump vs. Sons of Apollo twitter battle.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2389 on: November 22, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »

Well, when certain former band members act in a way that probably would have gotten them banned from this board had they decided to post here in the same manner they post on their facebook, it's a bit hard to not respond in kind.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2390 on: November 22, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
It seems sometimes that people are too shy to just admit that really liked this album, like it was something not very well received socially. I mean, if you love ABBA, why don't you say it OUT LOUD? ;D

Well, I like the album. Don't love it, but like it a lot, especially after I've made my own edit version where I've trimmed a bit of the solo sections here and there.

Their online antics do not affect the enjoyment of the songs for me, but it probably made it harder for many other people to enjoy them.

I've seen mentioned more than once in the pre-release time an album that came out the same day as PS - Vuur's "In this moment we are free".  It's a decent hard rock / prog album by Anneke Van Giersbergen, who is one of Arjen Lucassen's frequent guests / collaborators on the Ayreon albums, and they even made a wonderful album together, The Gentle Storm.

Now, the album is quite okayish but it's nothing earth shattering. Imagine a scenario where Anneke would have had a fallout with Arjen, and would pump up an album as the "answer to Ayreon", that would "claim back the throne of sci-fi rock operas" or whatever... and come out with just an album that not the entirety of the fan base would like... wouldn't that have been a major self inflicted PR nightmare? now people who don't like the album are just that, people that don't like it, they're not adding fuel to the fire criticizing her for "going to war" with Arjen and then not delivering something that coudl truly rival with him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: November 22, 2017, 08:32:33 AM »
Wow that facebook gang up attempt is cringeworthy, what is wrong with these guys.

As for touring, I was starting to think, didn't they say they plan to tour all of 2018 and dedicate it to the band?  Well... where are the tour dates?  If they were to tour in early 2018, dates should be out now or very soon.  Unless it'll be a spring US tour and summer in Europe with fall in South America/Asia?  I just know I have tickets for concerts already in the first 4 months of 2018.  Seems bands have already announced those tours if its early in 2018.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2392 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
I wonder if this band is interested in any sense of bringing goodwill and a certain amount of professionalism on social media?

Calling for any fans to make nasty comments to reviewer for an opinion seems a little too out of line for a few reasons where it does not benefit the band at all.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2393 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »

I am proud to say I love ABBA! My first favourite group  :biggrin: Their songs translate really well to metal songs.

I also really like SoA, not ashamed to say it. BUt Derek and Mike are acting like spoilt kids.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #2394 on: November 22, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Any time I see multiple necks/unnecessary things it just brings me back to the Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry video with the keyboardist standing behind 6 keyboards in the grass not even plugged into anything. It's silly, but if that's Billy's thing to have two necks, his call.  :lol

The necks give the guys more flexability while playing... and looks hella cool.
Personally i would also rather see 6 keyboards on stage than 6 tablets
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2395 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
Any time I see multiple necks/unnecessary things it just brings me back to the Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry video with the keyboardist standing behind 6 keyboards in the grass not even plugged into anything. It's silly, but if that's Billy's thing to have two necks, his call.  :lol

I'd rather see 6 tablets than 5 Sons of Apollo.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2396 on: November 22, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: November 22, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »

:rollin

That made me laugh out loud.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2398 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »

Well, I like the album. Don't love it, but like it a lot, especially after I've made my own edit version where I've trimmed a bit of the solo sections here and there.

Their online antics do not affect the enjoyment of the songs for me, but it probably made it harder for many other people to enjoy them.

I've seen mentioned more than once in the pre-release time an album that came out the same day as PS - Vuur's "In this moment we are free".  It's a decent hard rock / prog album by Anneke Van Giersbergen, who is one of Arjen Lucassen's frequent guests / collaborators on the Ayreon albums, and they even made a wonderful album together, The Gentle Storm.

Now, the album is quite okayish but it's nothing earth shattering. Imagine a scenario where Anneke would have had a fallout with Arjen, and would pump up an album as the "answer to Ayreon", that would "claim back the throne of sci-fi rock operas" or whatever... and come out with just an album that not the entirety of the fan base would like... wouldn't that have been a major self inflicted PR nightmare? now people who don't like the album are just that, people that don't like it, they're not adding fuel to the fire criticizing her for "going to war" with Arjen and then not delivering something that coudl truly rival with him.

I also made my own edit version, where I omitted the first 9 songs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
I also love ABBA. They have a unique legacy. They are one of the most popular and successful pop bands ever. Yet they are often maligned due to their association with disco, which is completely and unfairly disparaged.

Double :lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2400 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
It just popped into my mind - on the 5 Years in a Lifetime DVD commentary, James jokingly said "if you've gotten this far through the commentary, you need to get a fucking life." It's obviously a joke, and a zinger at that, but then he quickly adds "just kidding," to make super-duper sure he doesn't even remotely offend anyone. It's an unnecessary gesture, but he still does it. That's how you treat fans. Pure class. As opposed to...

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2401 on: November 22, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
I wonder if this band is interested in any sense of bringing goodwill and a certain amount of professionalism on social media?

Calling for any fans to make nasty comments to reviewer for an opinion seems a little too out of line for a few reasons where it does not benefit the band at all.

You just don't get the Del Fuvio wit.

Get 'im boys!!!
Queue old Adam West Batman fight music

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2402 on: November 22, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »

You just don't get the Del Fuvio wit.

Get 'im boys!!!
Queue old Adam West Batman fight music

Oh goody.  I hope I do something in this scenario and there's a WHOMP! background with weird colors.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #2403 on: November 22, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »
Just for the record, I made the joke, but I also like ABBA A LOT  :tup

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2404 on: November 22, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
Some more Sherinianisms:

Well, the guy said that it's very good and a top 5 album of the year and... give it a 6/10? ::)

The album is called Psychotic Symphony

Definition of psychosis

plural psychoses play  \sī-ˈkō-ˌsēz\
: a serious mental illness (such as schizophrenia) characterized by defective or lost contact with reality often with hallucinations or delusions such as your album is unique or the best.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2405 on: November 22, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »

Definition of psychosis

: a serious mental illness (such as schizophrenia) characterized by defective or lost contact with reality often with hallucinations or delusions such as your album is unique or the best.

Nugget!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2406 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »

:hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #2407 on: November 23, 2017, 12:23:12 AM »

Some more Sherinianisms:

Definition of psychosis

The band is called “Dream” Theater
Funny how that apart from the usual meanings derived from the word “Dream”....
It can also mean “an unrealistic or self-deluding fantasy”

How interesting ;)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:12:36 AM by shadystraz360 »
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2408 on: November 23, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »
Alex Argento of Icefish posted in the Icefish thread to thank everybody for the comments to help them grow as a band.

And I just felt like posting here....

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2409 on: November 23, 2017, 06:06:39 AM »
Alex Argento of Icefish posted in the Icefish thread to thank everybody for the comments to help them grow as a band.

And I just felt like posting here....
While SoA arbitrarily declares that their album is the album of the year, blasting people who disagree.

Yeah, the contrast is striking, and it's also reflected by the music. Icefish sounds like they're hungry, hard-working, eager to push the genre forward and develop their sound, while SoA is perfectly content with the same old, same old, and with a "we're so awesome, we'll make the best album ever with no real effort" kind of mentality. 

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #2410 on: November 23, 2017, 06:21:42 AM »
Yo Yo Yo,

There seems to be a lot of hate towards DS and SOA, can anyone please enlighten me as to why?

Thanks in advance, I need educating here  😊

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2411 on: November 23, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »
Yo Yo Yo,

There seems to be a lot of hate towards DS and SOA, can anyone please enlighten me as to why?

Welcome to the forum, Derek.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2412 on: November 23, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
Yo Yo Yo,

No "hate" at all.  Just a lot of people being massively turned off by Derek's childish insults to the point where even people who might like the music are refusing to support the project.  Unfortunately, Derek and Mike created their own problem.  But there is no "hate."  That isn't allowed here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #2413 on: November 23, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »
Derek is much more handsome and talented than myself, he’s more of a dick that I am also!

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #2414 on: November 23, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
I’m sorry I don’t follow! Can you be specific?

DS childish insults?

DS and MP have brought this on themselves? What have the brought on and what have they actually done?