Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 466433 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Verdict on: Sons of Apollo - Psycotic Symphony
« Reply #1260 on: October 21, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »
I typically wait like 6 months before putting a rating on anything.  See how it grows on you....

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1261 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »
First listen I gave it a 5. Just not very good. Few cool moments but just very very boring and samey.

Oddly enough Portnoy was the most boring part for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1262 on: October 21, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Listening to this album, this band is more like what I wanted/expected from Adrenaline Mob when I first heard their samples. And that mainly has to do with that every member of Sons of Apollo delivers a solid to great performance, depending on each song. Whereas Amob has guitars I don't like (in any given track), and the rest is just there (drums, bass) aside from some catchy/cool bits from Russel Allen. That said, I do like some Amob material. But this band is more interesting to listen to. The reason I state this is because many seem to be comparing these bands.

This album hits a right balance between classic rock with a modern sound and heavier parts of prog metal. I don't like the instrumental that much though, I wish they made a short one and gave us another track in the vein of Labyrinth or Gods of the Sun as a closer. But overall I dig it.

I haven't listened to the whole album, but after watching the video for Lost in Oblivion (which is a really good song) I still think this band would be better with Russell Allen on vocals. Not that Soto is bad, but Russell has the charm and charisma that would take SoA to the next level. They'd be Symphony X lite, but I'd certainly enjoy them more.

I mean, Russel Allen is one of my favourite vocalists, so he would make a lot of rock/metal albums better for my tastes. But I think Soto did a good job on this album. And having checked some of his solo material, I don't really hear that big of a difference. Sure, he could've done with more variety (like in the song Labyrinth), but I like his vocals.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #1263 on: October 21, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »
Very disappointed.  I expected way more with the talent involved.  Sounds a lot like Derek playing along with Adrenaline Mob.

4/10.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1264 on: October 21, 2017, 03:22:59 PM »
6/10. Average.  Nothing standing out but the vocals for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1265 on: October 21, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »
Yeah, I gave it a 6.  My rule of thumb is that if I added like 5 songs to my Spotify playlist and want to relisten to them at my leisure, it's an easy 7/10 which possible room to see if it aged well.  This album however.  I don't know if I do want to relisten to it.  I liked Alive.  The first track was good as well, but I felt like I honestly did not care for the album as a whole, but the playing was really good and that was just it.  Aside from Alive and maybe God of the Sun, I don't think I have the urge to relisten to this one any time soon.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1266 on: October 21, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
The album is very very meh. Nothing new in the slightest bit. Song writing is mostly very bland. Oddly enough, the worst performance for me is Portnoy.

The guy wants to do a fill every 20 seconds or so, which is fine, but then he just uses the same 4 or so fills over and over. When we hear so few fills repeated so many times, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I found myself checking out during the instrumental sections.

It feels like everyone had a "let's just get this done as quickly as possible" mentality, except Ron Thal who really deserves better than this band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: October 21, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
I gave it a 7 which is probably a little generous.  If anything I found that the proggy sections were often just "there" and detracted from the song.   I did like the classic rock vibe at times and am a big fan of a few of the band members.   However I think they are all guys who need a better songwriter working with them and when they all come together that's what I feel is lacking for the most part - memorable songs.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1268 on: October 21, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »
except Ron Thal who really deserves better than this band.

He was definitely the best part of the band for me. He has some really tasteful solos, and the fretless guitar doesn't seem to be just a gimmick.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1269 on: October 21, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
except Ron Thal who really deserves better than this band.

He was definitely the best part of the band for me. He has some really tasteful solos, and the fretless guitar doesn't seem to be just a gimmick.
Yeah, this. His solos are mindblowng, really. Some of these seem to be just impossible to play when You hear it. I like his sound too, definitly Ron shines here the most. And about JSS, I love his voice ffrom Yngwie albums, and I love his tone but here it just... I don't know, it's like he could do very very very much more, very safe vocal parts. But still, I love his voice overall.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: October 21, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
The EMP reissue of Bumblefoot's (would prefer to call him Ron Thal but this album is recorded in the name of Bumblefoot) Little Brother is Watching arrived today. I hate to say it, but it really does knock Psychotic Symphony into a cocked hat.

Ron Thal most certainly is an excellent songwriter.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1271 on: October 21, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »
I gave it a 4.  Decent music, but really only one song that I've gone back to  (Labyrinth).  If every song was as good as that one, it would probably be an 8. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #1272 on: October 21, 2017, 04:26:55 PM »
Thus far a little over half of the votes are for 5/10 or below, which I consider a failing score.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1273 on: October 21, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
I haven't heard the whole album so I won't vote, but while every song I've heard so far I enjoyed, at least to the extent that I don't want to turn it off, I don't really remember much about them and have no real desire to relisten.

Probably could have done with a bit more variety in the vocal melodies, but I think Jeff Scott Soto sounds fantastic anyway.

Maybe I'll give the whole album a run through soon.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1274 on: October 21, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
I listened to it once and I liked it.

And I can guarantee one thing: if Mike hadn't been acting like he has been lately on social media, I think people would have enjoyed this album a lot more. I think they kinda developed a bias with anything related to MP, even if unconsciously.

Anyway, it is kinda early to rate the album. One listen is not enough.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1275 on: October 21, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »

And I can guarantee one thing: if Mike hadn't been acting like he has been lately on social media, I think people would have enjoyed this album a lot more. I think they kinda developed a bias with anything related to MP, even if unconsciously.

I can't speak for anyone else, but not me. My score of 5/10 is 100% due to the music and not their online nonsense. They could have been saints and I'd still think this is a below mediocre album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1276 on: October 21, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »
And I can guarantee one thing: if Mike hadn't been acting like he has been lately on social media, I think people would have enjoyed this album a lot more.

Yeah... Except no.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1277 on: October 21, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
Yeah, my experience of the album is separate from Derek's public display of insecurity.

I'm actually listening to the songs again now as I type this, and here is a perfect example of why I think this album is quite poor but nevertheless shows the band has potential: the section of God of the Sun from 4:55 to 6:52 is quite beautiful. I like it a lot, it's a wonderful, emotional stretch of music. But then why on earth do they abruptly end it, break out the chugging riff, and then segue awkwardly into the most generic instrumental wankery? The same thing happens 5 and a half minutes into Labyrinth. As much as I love them, this was exactly the thing I found a bit tiring about some of the later MP Dream Theater albums, where songs would be 'interrupted' in order to go on long-winded tangents.

As I wrote yesterday, I hope this band makes it to a 2nd album, and takes its time to compose it, because there are flashes of good ideas on this album but too often they get interrupted or drowned out by some apparent need to start playing lots of notes quickly.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1278 on: October 21, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »
I am a bit tainted by DS's silly comments and MPs pasy attitude but on the other hand I like other 3 members so tried listening with that perspective. I seen to be in the minority but I like Labrinth. I like God's of the Sun at least part of it and the Addiction song.

I agree with others that if they made this their main song writing priority they could have something special there. A lot of Talent in the band.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1279 on: October 21, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »
I haven't listened to the whole album, but after watching the video for Lost in Oblivion (which is a really good song) I still think this band would be better with Russell Allen on vocals. Not that Soto is bad, but Russell has the charm and charisma that would take SoA to the next level. They'd be Symphony X lite, but I'd certainly enjoy them more.

On all the times I've listened to the album in full, probably 3, I've felt the same exact way. I can only imagine how much better and more diverse the vocals could've sounded with Russell singing on the album.

I agree on what most of you are saying about Bumblefoot, he's definitely the one who shines the most. About the rest:

- JSS used the same range and approach for the whole album. Not my cup of tea.
- Billy was surprisingly filling the role of a bassist and not overplaying on everything.
- Derek used the same sounds he's been using since FII and some sound very cheesy (oh, the irony...)
- MP did nothing new or creative on the drumming, same as in TSOAD.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1280 on: October 21, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »
If you listen to other JSS records, he usually sings with versatility. There have been talks that JSS had disagreements with DS on the vocal styles in this album. I wonder how that translated to what we hear in the album.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: October 22, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »
I gave it a score of 6/10..... that was based on the music and nothing else.
The only thing Dereks shenanigans have changed was that I did not preorder the album. Listened on Spotify instead and based on what I hear I will not buy the album.. too mediocre

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1282 on: October 22, 2017, 12:13:10 AM »

i have not followed the hype or social media campaign or anything for the album. i just listened to it once when it came out and that's it

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1283 on: October 22, 2017, 01:19:22 AM »
There should be a "0" vote for those of us who refuse to listen or support it due solely to the attitudes of MP and DS.

My vote is "0".

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:21 AM »
There should be a "0" vote for those of us who refuse to listen or support it due solely to the attitudes of MP and DS.

My vote is "0".

Your wish is my command...

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #1285 on: October 22, 2017, 02:31:31 AM »
9/10 for me. The album has exactly the right mixture of hard rock/ metal/ prog for me to enjoy it very much.
Looking forward to seeing then live (hope they will announce tour dates soon).

Also, I have to agree what others said before, I like Bumblefoot's playing a lot! Haven't heard ANY of his past material - where should I start?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1286 on: October 22, 2017, 02:47:35 AM »
From the beginning. Ron Thal - the Adventures of Bumblefoot

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1287 on: October 22, 2017, 03:48:36 AM »
Will I be able to change my vote later? I tend to change my mind on albums after a few months.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1288 on: October 22, 2017, 03:48:45 AM »
I'm actually listening to the songs again now as I type this, and here is a perfect example of why I think this album is quite poor but nevertheless shows the band has potential: the section of God of the Sun from 4:55 to 6:52 is quite beautiful. I like it a lot, it's a wonderful, emotional stretch of music. But then why on earth do they abruptly end it, break out the chugging riff, and then segue awkwardly into the most generic instrumental wankery? The same thing happens 5 and a half minutes into Labyrinth. As much as I love them, this was exactly the thing I found a bit tiring about some of the later MP Dream Theater albums, where songs would be 'interrupted' in order to go on long-winded tangents.

I'll elaborate more better after some more listenings, but I have to say I completely agree with this. That was basically the only thing I never really liked in late DT with MP; I appreciated all the songs, all the styles, even the strong influences from other bands, but I never liked the solo sections that basically take you out of the song.  I accept long instrumental passages, but they have to fit within the song, otherwise any skilled enough musician can conjure up a "prog song" by sticking a 3-4 minute jam inside a tune.

Let's take Iron Maiden's Empire of the Clouds for example - the solo section alone is 6 minutes long, longer than basically every song on the early albums except for the epics, and yet it keeps you in the song, because the continous build-up reminds you thematically of the storm that rages ever stronger against the Zeppelin that would ultimately crash. Nothing like this happens with the longest songs of the album, or happened with some of the songs in the last MP albums.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1289 on: October 22, 2017, 03:55:20 AM »
9/10 for me. The album has exactly the right mixture of hard rock/ metal/ prog for me to enjoy it very much.
Looking forward to seeing then live (hope they will announce tour dates soon).

Also, I have to agree what others said before, I like Bumblefoot's playing a lot! Haven't heard ANY of his past material - where should I start?

I come from an 80shard rock/metal background and I’m not much of a prog fan. Rush are about as prog as I get. I’d rather listen to Asia than Yes. This probably explains why I like it.

I have no problem with the DT like habit of veering off on an instrumental tangent,

Yeah, I like this album.

DS and MP didn’t do themselves any favours with all the rhetoric as it built up an expectation that it doesn’t meet but I’m quite happy with that because if it was an out and out progfest I’d probably hate it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1290 on: October 22, 2017, 04:03:43 AM »
Russell Allen is great but versatile? He doesn’t show that on AMob or SymX. He would have sounded just the same as JSS does here. Just how DS and MP told him to.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1291 on: October 22, 2017, 04:05:03 AM »
Yea, Russell wouldn't have added much at all. Unless you think he would have re-written the vocal melodies. The problem is the vocals, not the vocalist.

Though I wasn't into Portnoy's backing vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1292 on: October 22, 2017, 04:08:48 AM »
I thought I posted this somewhere here already, but I can't find my post anywhere anymore  :huh:
Anyway: I think with Russel the album would have sounded like an Underworld ripoff. Not that they're really copying anything from SX but some hook lines and choruses remind me of the later SX albums sometimes.

(That being said, I JUST remembered how much I actually loved that album after its release, so I just ordered it on clear vinyl on eBay, thanks SoA  :biggrin: )
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1293 on: October 22, 2017, 04:09:40 AM »
Russell Allen is great but versatile? He doesn’t show that on AMob or SymX.

I think he showed that in Symphony X, until the band in later albums pushed the pedal on the "chugga chugga Pantera tough metal grrr" vibe. Also on his solo album he has quite some good songs in different styles.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PepeLePew

« Reply #1294 on: October 22, 2017, 05:13:06 AM »
Will I be able to change my vote later? I tend to change my mind on albums after a few months.

Same here. I often find that when I like an album instantly it doesn't age as well and after multiple listens over a short time period I rarely have the urge to go back to it.  Albums that take me a little longer to get into (Similitude Of A Dream , for example) tend to stay in my rotation way longer.