Poll

How would you rate psycotic Symphony on a scale from 1 to 10?

10 (highest)
8 (3.4%)
13 (5.6%)
23 (9.9%)
43 (18.5%)
33 (14.2%)
32 (13.8%)
24 (10.3%)
14 (6%)
7 (3%)
1 (lowest)
7 (3%)
0. Their online behaviour ruined it (won't listen)
28 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)  (Read 464366 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
Old thread here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49857.0

Folks, as we move forward with this thread a couple of things we would like to remind everyone of.

1. Personal attacks are not allowed. Please keep the discussion civil among your follow posters.

2. You can constructively critique anything you want, but outright bashing or personal attacks on Portnoy or Sherinian (or the other members) will not be tolerated.

3. As a simple request, let's try to enjoy the upcoming release and not get too bogged down in any negative comments or events. That's not a rule or anything, just me being a temporary hippie so we can all be a little happier.

What we have so far:
Coming Home Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1N8kVYfkE

Signs of the Time video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVWkqnN3Ck

Press release:
APOLLO: The ancient Greek and Roman God of music and poetry.
SONS OF APOLLO: The new supergroup featuring members of Dream Theater, Mr. Big, Guns ‘N Roses, and Journey.

For the past few months, rumors have been circulating about a new secret project including former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian. Now, the time has come to make the grand and highly anticipated introduction to their new band, SONS OF APOLLO.

Reuniting to form SONS OF APOLLO, Portnoy and Sherinian have joined forces with Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal (ex-Guns N’ Roses), Billy Sheehan (The Winery Dogs, Mr. Big, David Lee Roth) and Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Journey, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen’s Rising Force). Their debut album, PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY, will be released October 20 on InsideOutMusic/Sony Music.

PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY was produced by the dynamic production duo of Portnoy and Sherinian, also affectionately known as “The Del Fuvio Brothers,” which is the nickname given to them over 20 years ago during their time together in Dream Theater.

SONS OF APOLLO got together very organically, as Portnoy explains: “Derek and I reunited shortly after I left Dream Theater in 2010 and we put together an all-instrumental touring band with he and I, Billy Sheehan, and Tony MacAlpine. That was my first time working with Derek since the ‘90s when he was in Dream Theater and it was just great to be working with him again. Ever since that tour, which was really just a one-off live thing, he has been nudging me to start a real, original, full-time band. The timing just had never been right, because I had too many other things on my plate. Long story short, the time was finally right to take the bait and put together a band.”

“Mike and I work at a relentless pace in the studio,” continues Sherinian. “The music is modern, but we have an old school soul. What is unique about SONS OF APOLLO is that we have true rock n’ roll swagger along with the virtuosity– a lethal combination!”

But what to call the next great supergroup? “Derek was mainly the one behind the name,” says Portnoy. “I have a list that I keep on my phone of about a hundred different band names, which I constantly have to refer to every time I have a new band every year (laughs). So, I pulled up the list and Apollo was one of the names on the list. It was a word that both of us really liked. We started fiddling with different variations of the word. One of the original band names we were working with was Apollo Creed, the character from the ‘Rocky’ movies, but after lots of different discussions on different variations, Derek suggested SONS OF APOLLO and it seemed to stick. Apollo is the God of Music so with that in mind it seemed like a fitting name.”

Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian and Billy Sheehan previously toured together in 2012 and 2013 as PSMS (along with guitarist Tony MacAlpine), playing all instrumental versions from each of their previously recorded music. SONS OF APOLLO is the next logical progression by adding a vocalist and creating all-original material. The band incorporates the progressive style and individual technical prowess that Portnoy & Sherinian shared together in Dream Theater combined with the swagger and groove of Van Halen, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.

“I have known Mike and Derek for a long time, so when they came to me with Sons of Apollo, I jumped on this straight away,” says Thomas Waber, Label Manager/A&R International of InsideOutMusic. “However, the album they ended up recording exceeded my already high expectations by a long mile! We couldn’t be happier about it!”

SONS OF APOLLO will hit the road in 2018 for their first worldwide tour.

“This is a real band,” Portnoy declares. “This is going to pick up for me and Billy where The Winery Dogs left off, in terms of this being the next logical full-time thing for us. I’m not saying The Winery Dogs have broken up, because we haven’t, we’re just on a break. SONS OF APOLLO is absolutely going to be a full-time band and we plan on touring all over the world all throughout 2018 and, honestly, it is the priority for all five of us.”

Sherinian agrees, “We will go on a worldwide crusade in 2018 to bring SONS OF APOLLO to as many people as possible. Apollo was the God of Music, and we are his mighty offspring!”

PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY

1. God of The Sun
2. Coming Home
3. Signs of the Time
4. Labyrinth
5. Alive
6. Lost In Oblivion
7. Figaro's Whore
8. Divine Addiction
9. Opus Maximus
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:44:43 PM by bosk1 »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Sons of Apollo (feat. Portnoy & Sherinian)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
I’m gonna check it out when it is released.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
I have it preordered.. reserving final judgement for release day.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
If not, Nick will bash you with his extremely grotesquely large  fists.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
Thanks, Nick.

I'm pretty excited for this record. I loved Falling Into Infinity, and continue to really love Derek's work (Black Country Communion rocks). His tone is just amazing. I really haven't sat down and listened to the first two preview tracks (which are probably not indicative of the record anyway, given the prog nature of the project).

I'm a bit on the fence about JSS, Billy Sheehan, and Bumblefoot. I really wish Mike and Derek would have gone elsewhere on both bass and guitar. Nothing against those two, but I'm sorta tired of seeing Billy in everything Mike does, and Bumble...he's an amazing player, but he has never really resonated with me.

I really enjoy JSS, but have a hard time placing him in what my personal expectation is for the band. I hope it works out really well. What I really hope is that this is a permanent band, rather than an MP project. My suspicion is, this will be a band until DT needs a drummer again, and then it'll fold up.

But in the meantime, I am thrilled to have Sons of Apollo, because I very much enjoy what Derek brings as a keyboardist and writer, and of course the drumming of Portnoy. HOpefully it all comes together in a great way. Bring on the record!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »
Thanks, Nick.

I'm pretty excited for this record. I loved Falling Into Infinity, and continue to really love Derek's work (Black Country Communion rocks). His tone is just amazing. I really haven't sat down and listened to the first two preview tracks (which are probably not indicative of the record anyway, given the prog nature of the project).

I'm a bit on the fence about JSS, Billy Sheehan, and Bumblefoot. I really wish Mike and Derek would have gone elsewhere on both bass and guitar. Nothing against those two, but I'm sorta tired of seeing Billy in everything Mike does, and Bumble...he's an amazing player, but he has never really resonated with me.

I really enjoy JSS, but have a hard time placing him in what my personal expectation is for the band. I hope it works out really well. What I really hope is that this is a permanent band, rather than an MP project. My suspicion is, this will be a band until DT needs a drummer again, and then it'll fold up.

But in the meantime, I am thrilled to have Sons of Apollo, because I very much enjoy what Derek brings as a keyboardist and writer, and of course the drumming of Portnoy. HOpefully it all comes together in a great way. Bring on the record!

Well said! I'm pretty excited as well. I liked the two songs released so far!

And for the record, i love seeing Billy in all these different projects.

Let's hope this thread doesn't fly off the rails like the previous one. :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
Looking forward to see what the longer songs do for me. When I first heard that JSS was going to be the vocalist I was thinking
he would have more of that Steve Perry tonality but I was WAY off on that one :-*

Nothing wrong a a good rock album that incorporates some proggish elements and with MP on the skins you really can't go wrong
IMO.

Soon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
Thanks for posting the links to the released tracks in the OP.

Just watched the Coming Home vid again. What's the point of the double neck guitars? Sheehan doesn't isn't even shown playing the top neck, and Bfoot surely didn't need both either.

I just think that's lame. Like some 13 year old kid might be like "Oh cool!".

Oh, and the tuning on Sign Of the Times. I hope there's not more of that.

Forget the twitter nonsense. What has really turned me off to this album are these two tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
Thanks for posting the links to the released tracks in the OP.

Just watched the Coming Home vid again. What's the point of the double neck guitars? Sheehan doesn't isn't even shown playing the top neck, and Bfoot surely didn't need both either.

Oh, and the tuning on Sign Of the Times. I hope there's not more of that.

Forget the twitter nonsense. What has really turned me off to this album are these two tracks.

I had the same thought. I get Bumblefoot with the fretless neck but I think Sheehan busted his out just to look cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Oh, one neck was fretless? I didn't even notice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 02:07:29 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to the album. Just listened to Signs of the Time for the first time since it was first released, and it's a really solid song. Decent riff, strong chorus, and some really nice soloing.

Coming Home is... fine. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing very exciting either. But I'm assuming it's right at the simpler end of the album and was released as a single to cater to a different audience, so it hasn't really dampened my anticipation.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »

Well, as pointed out, Bumblefoot's is because he likes using the fretless on some parts, but not the entire song, so that's cool.  For Billy, if it were in a live setting, the only practical use I could see since they are both 4 string fretted necks is if they are in different tunings.  It's also possible he has different strings on them (with either a lower string like a standard 5 string, or a higher string like a 5 string tenor).  But I tend to think it was strictly for show.  And Billy has ALWAYS been about showmanship.  That's just kinda his thing.  And if that's all it is, that's cool too.  Why slag the guy for it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
Coming Home is... fine. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing very exciting either. But I'm assuming it's right at the simpler end of the album and was released as a single to cater to a different audience, so it hasn't really dampened my anticipation.

But one has to wonder: what's the kind of audience of a band that has two ex members of Dream Theater?

As I said in the other thread before it got nuked, in this day and age you don't need to strictly adhere to the old "singles" rules. They can sure have a video for Coming Home, but they could as well do a lyric video of the opening 10 minutes track and post it a week or so before the release to spark the interest of those longing for more intricate pieces.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Any time I see multiple necks/unnecessary things it just brings me back to the Rhapsody - Unholy Warcry video with the keyboardist standing behind 6 keyboards in the grass not even plugged into anything. It's silly, but if that's Billy's thing to have two necks, his call.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »

Well, as pointed out, Bumblefoot's is because he likes using the fretless on some parts, but not the entire song, so that's cool.  For Billy, if it were in a live setting, the only practical use I could see since they are both 4 string fretted necks is if they are in different tunings.  It's also possible he has different strings on them (with either a lower string like a standard 5 string, or a higher string like a 5 string tenor).  But I tend to think it was strictly for show.  And Billy has ALWAYS been about showmanship.  That's just kinda his thing.  And if that's all it is, that's cool too.  Why slag the guy for it?

So I had no idea about the fretless thingy. But to me, the double neck bass comes off as a cheap gimmick.

Actually, looking at the SOA logo, it seems that the double necks are part of it.

Anyway, I just feel like if you're gonna have the double necks, then let's f'n use them for something complex. But to have them for show on a pretty average track, if just comes off as cheap to me.

But that's me. :)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »
Thanks for summing it up! New, fresh thread ;)
Well, 20th of October is coming and it will be a very good day for me, two releases that I'm waiting for. New Europe album, and Sons Of Apollo of course. Where are my thoughts now according to Sons Of Apollo? Well, for the first - I think that it is a really bad band name... I don't like it. Hope that I will like the music on Psychotic Symphony, I'm looking forward to it. When I heard Signs Of The Times I was very satysfied, solid modern riff, catchy chorus, some shredding, and I have to say that I enjoyed JSS singing. Like his voice since I heard Him with Yngwie. I have some good hopes that this will be a very good album. My second favourite bass player, Portnoy, Sherinian... I'm not familiar with Bumblefoot records, but he seems to be a great musician. All to sum it up, I'm waiting unpatiently for 20th October :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
If not, Nick will bash you with his extremely grotesquely large  fists.

:lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
But one has to wonder: what's the kind of audience of a band that has two ex members of Dream Theater?
I dunno, MP has done loads of non-prog stuff and JSS and BS are hardly "prog" guys (and arguably Bumblefoot isn't really either - experimental, certainly, but more in the hard rock genre). So in terms of people that might be checking the band out, it makes some sense.

As I said in the other thread before it got nuked, in this day and age you don't need to strictly adhere to the old "singles" rules. They can sure have a video for Coming Home, but they could as well do a lyric video of the opening 10 minutes track and post it a week or so before the release to spark the interest of those longing for more intricate pieces.
Indeed, I basically agree. I mean, Signs of the Time was proggier and longer, so the first release hinted at that sort of thing at least.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »
I will check this out because it has Mike and Derek.  As many have already pointed out, the "hype" about the band/music doesn't seem to match the early singles, but we'll see.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
I am enjoying both released tracks quite a bit and while think they are a talented bunch. Some akward tweets or wonky PR aren't going to ruin my fun. One of my most anticipated albums this year still. But I am not expecting midpoint career DT-esque progmetal at this point, outside of some elements, based on the material so far.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
Damn, the other thread is closed? Hope you're not gonna close down the entire Forum.

On a serious note, I'm really looking forward to the album, I dig almost everything about it, even the more "controversial" aspects of it (straightforward songwriting, Billy's tone, singer's tone).

The only thing I'm not too hot about is Mike repeating the same old fills. Also, I hope that Derek will use more traditional, diverse, and organic keyboard sounds in the rest of the songs (Hammond, Moog), he's all up and about his "real, no cheese keys srsly," but he mostly uses the same old digital, plastic sounding lead he had for decades. 

The other day I was just about to buy the album on iTunes, but then I remembered how Derek and Mike acted lately, and just said "fuck it," and bought another album instead. All in all, still my most anticipated album of the year. edit: on second thought, maybe Icefish took that spot.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:57:59 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »
Disappointed with the singles so far because they are wasting Jeff Scott Soto's voice. He is not singing to his strengths. After Portnoy's criticisms of JLB and his fit with DT, I was hoping they would show how to write a song that fits JSS or to select a singer that fits the songs. It is not the case, so far.

My anticipation for this band is being tempered by my comparison with the teasers of another upcoming prog band, Icefish, and even by the better single released so far by JSS himself.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
Disappointed with the singles so far because they are wasting Jeff Scott Soto's voice. He is not singing to his strengths. After Portnoy's criticisms of JLB and his fit with DT, I was hoping they would show how to write a song that fits JSS or to select a singer that fits the songs. It is not the case, so far.

That's a real interesting comment. That's exactly how I felt about SC and BC&SL regarding James. Since MP left DT, James was again able to use his range, especially on The Astonishing. Not sure if it was directly related to MP's direction or simply a coincidence.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »

That's a real interesting comment. That's exactly how I felt about SC and BC&SL regarding James. Since MP left DT, James was again able to use his range, especially on The Astonishing. Not sure if it was directly related to MP's direction or simply a coincidence.

As someone commented on the previous thread, JSS and DS said they had strong disagreements over the vocal direction of the songs during the recording. It was Derek producing the vocal tracks, as MP was absent from the vocal recording sessions.

Anyway, I like JSS as a vocalist, but I don't think he's the best fit for this project, neither is Billy. But that's just my opinion, if it works for them, great.

About the singles, I liked Signs of the Time, specially the instrumental section. The other one, I listened to it once and didn't care for it at all, it's just not my cup of tea, same as with TWD.

Still want to listen to the rest of the album, specially the first track. Really want to get some good prog metal.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »

As someone commented on the previous thread, JSS and DS said they had strong disagreements over the vocal direction of the songs during the recording. It was Derek producing the vocal tracks, as MP was absent from the vocal recording sessions.

I didn't read that. That is very interesting. Why bring a guy in and not utilize his talents?

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
I'm sorta tired of seeing Billy in everything Mike does

I really don't understand this opinion - of actual bands that recorded original music, Winery Dogs is the only other MP band that Sheehan is a part of.

I get that he was in PSMS - which is just a live covers band - but still, even if you count that that's far from everything.

If you look at MP's albums of original music, Sheehan has only been on 2 Winery Dog albums. He wasn't in Flying Colours, Adrenaline Mob, Metal Allegiance, Neal Morse Band...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »

I didn't read that. That is very interesting. Why bring a guy in and not utilize his talents?

I think they talked about it on one of the band interviews Inside Out posted. Supposedly, things got very uncomfortable with them for a while, because Derek had a strong vision on where to go with the vocals and, apparently, Jeff wasn't too on board with that.

I'm sorta tired of seeing Billy in everything Mike does

I really don't understand this opinion - of actual bands that recorded original music, Winery Dogs is the only other MP band that Sheehan is a part of.

I get that he was in PSMS - which is just a live covers band - but still, even if you count that that's far from everything.

If you look at MP's albums of original music, Sheehan has only been on 2 Winery Dog albums. He wasn't in Flying Colours, Adrenaline Mob, Metal Allegiance, Neal Morse Band...

I think that the main issue here is that this is the third time Mike includes Billy on a project in just a few years, when there's a lot of other great bassists that would fit a "prog metal supergroup" much better.

Also, Billy's playing and tone are either love them or hate them, so I can see why people are tired of seeing him involved on recent MP projects, as it could turn some people off. His tone and overrall over thee top playing bother me, for example.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
Opus Maximus sounds intriguing, so does Figaro's Whore. Billy's bass tone and the mix doesn't help excite me much though. JSS i'm sure is way better, but from what was released it's alright. I will check this out once it's released.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 11:57:36 PM »
The two released songs haven't really convinced me, but I will sure check this out when it's released.

And the double neck bass? Almost every drummer has a double bass drum, maybe Billy got envious and wanted something double too?

A double neck guitars/basses sure have their uses but they don't excatly look bad ass rock 'n' roll.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 12:16:43 AM »
When I'm thinking about two-neck guitars, only one Man appears in my mind :)

I hope that we will hear more from those two Bumblefoot's necks on the rest of Psychotic Symphony.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »

Anyway, I like JSS as a vocalist, but I don't think he's the best fit for this project, neither is Billy. But that's just my opinion, if it works for them, great.

JSS already lost his range because of age. His strength now is the "soul" in his voice, which gives it character and which made his vocals fit a lot of Journey songs before.

Some of the released singles for his upcoming solo album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlcU-Jqsh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvA7OcCaWmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8V7PeDNRQ

In Sons of Apollo, his vocals sound harsh. He tried this vocal style before with SOTO, but it did not really work.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 04:10:14 AM »
When I'm thinking about two-neck guitars, only one Man appears in my mind :)

I always think it comes across as a bit of a cheap trick.

:natalieportman:

Still not as bad as keytars though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 04:50:23 AM »
But I've seen Rick use that guitar live and he played all 5 necks.  What's wrong with a little fun?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 05:13:15 AM »
I've listened to both songs and JSS is definitely the weakest link. I'm just not into his voice.

I'll check it out on release but I'm not expecting much.