Step Out Of Hell
0 (0%)
I Believe
0 (0%)
Longing
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: September 27, 2017, 10:39:44 PM

Author Topic: HELLOWEEN Survivor 2017 - Chameleon - round 1  (Read 373 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
HELLOWEEN Survivor 2017 - Chameleon - round 1
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:44 PM »
CHAMELEON

Chameleon is the fifth studio album by Helloween, released in 1993. Very adventurous release, but also their least commercially successful, and last studio album to feature singer Michael Kiske and original drummer Ingo Schwichtenberg.

Chameleon... As I remember it was second or maybe third album that I've heard from Helloween when I was a kid. And I must tell Ya, I like it from the first time :) Even without typical Helloween elements that Keeper's or Walls have I Liked it. Chameleon is so pumped in melodies and different styles... Of course, it was last album with Kiske and Ingo who commited suicide in 1995, probably because of some schizophrenic episodes that he had... :( I know many Helloween fans who thinks that it is Their worst album, but I totally disagree. Some songs from Chameleon are still in my top 15 from Helloween and I think it won't change at all. Let's start Chameleon survivor, I'm very interested about Your opinion about particular songs from that album. 

Micheal Kiske - vocals
Roland Grapow – guitar
Michael Weikath – guitar
Markus Grosskopf – bass
Ingo Schwichtenberg – drums

12.  :huh:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tough choice from the only start... Struggle between two, but I'll go with Crazy Cat. It's a fun song, but it always was my least favourite from Chameleon, with one other song for which I will probably be voting in the next round.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: HELLOWEEN Survivor 2017 - Chameleon - round 1
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:09:38 AM »
Windmill

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:06:06 AM »
Crazy cat

IMHO Chameleon is indeed the worst Helloween album... I kept listening during the last few weeks to get reacquainted with it, but out of 3-4 songs I had the impression I was wasting my time  :laugh:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:16:04 AM »
Chameleon is a bad Helloween album, and a somehow decent collection of three solo EPs, depending on how you look at it  :D

I don't loathe it and back in the day I bought it on the premises of "C'mon, it can't be THAT bad as everyone say"... well, it was, kinda, but still there are some good songs here and there.

A lot of mediocrity however, going with Crazy Cat too for now.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:01:09 AM »
In The Night

My least favorite songs on this album aren't the generally most hated ones. And yeah, this is probably the worst Helloween album, although it still has its share of great songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:53:51 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:24 AM »
I've always adored Chameleon and still listen to it often. There is so much variety and creativity among these 12 adventurous tracks that it feels like this was Helloween's contribution to progressive metal. There are probably 4 songs here that belong in my Top 25 Helloween Songs list. Crazy Cat sure isn't one of them though, and it should be the first one eliminated, even though I love felines! 

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
Windmill

Yep.  Crap, crap song.

No, no... I really like the piano in that song! :-[

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
Windmill

Yep.  Crap, crap song.

No, no... I really like the piano in that song! :-[
I like it too, it has got nothing Helloween at all except Kiske voice, but there is something in that song ;)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
Windmill is not better or worse than many "cheesy" metal ballads, I like it just fine.

Ingo however hated it, he called it "Shitmill".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
When I first listened to Chameleon, Windmill was actually my favorite song, probably because I was going through a power ballad obsession at the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
Chameleon is a bad Helloween album, and a somehow decent collection of three solo EPs, depending on how you look at it  :D

Totally right. I've viewed it the same way. For me, Kiske wins, so I can't go to Windmill just yet.

Crazy Cat.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »
I have this in my collection but can barely remember a thing about it................aside from the fact that I only ever played one song regularly.  Might've been Giants?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
I have this in my collection but can barely remember a thing about it................aside from the fact that I only ever played one song regularly.  Might've been Giants?

Definitely Giants. the album's best track. First Time would be awesome if it weren't for the cringeworthy lyrics.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »

Definitely Giants. the album's best track. First Time would be awesome if it weren't for the cringeworthy lyrics.

I believe has always been my favorite by far...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
I believe is a masterpiece and the forgotten gem of this album. Everyone rightfully say "Well, at least Giants was good", which absolutely it is, but I Believe is the standout track and the big epic of the record.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Giants is the best song on this album for sure.