Author Topic: Need - Norchestrion (2021)  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Lethean

Need - Norchestrion (2021)
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »
I mentioned this album in the SoA thread but wanted to give it it's own. As of now it's my album of the year. Prog metal, on the heavier side without feeling forced, great singer with a very passionate delivery. They aren't reinventing the prog metal wheel and yet it doesn't feel like a rehash of other bands in the genre.

https://youtu.be/NEt3O3vMogI

Right now they are on tour in Europe, opening for Evergrey. They put on a great show.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:44:30 PM by Lethean »

Online goo-goo

Re: Need - Hegaiamas (2017)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »
Saw them live opening for Evergrey in San Antonio earlier this year. Amazing band! I bought all their discography in bandcamp. I talked to the guys aftewards and they were very down to Earth. They are big Fates Warning fans and they said it was a dream opening for them back in Greece last year. I talked to the guitarist as well and I mentioned that it was the 1st time I've seen a 7 string PRS guitar. He said that he adjusted it himself to make it a 7 string because when he bought it, PRS didn't have 7 string guitars at the time. Great bunch of guys. The singer sounds very different studio vs in a live setting. But he's a great frontman and has a great set of pipes.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:46:02 AM »
Been a fan of this band since Orvam (which is slightly better than Hegaiamas in my opinion), they're great. I'm actually seeing them live today in Siegburg.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »

Awful photo quality and their drummer was away somewhere, but I managed to speak with the band for like five minutes and take a picture with them (also got the ProgPower DVD signed by all members).

Setlist spoilers for the night:

Here's what we've got:

Rememory
Alltribe
Mother Madness
Tilikum
Hegaiamas

Guitars were a little loud in the mix, otherwise it was a great gig. Not a lot people at all, perhaps like 20 people at the beginning and 80-100 people at the end of the set. I'll post my thoughts in the Evergrey thread tomorrow, but I guess it's sufficient to say I had a blast.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:06:40 PM »
I'm loving this band. I've been searching for a deeper type of vocalist like this in this style. Atmospheric, Melodic, and Energetic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
Saw them live opening for Evergrey in San Antonio earlier this year. Amazing band! I bought all their discography in bandcamp. I talked to the guys aftewards and they were very down to Earth. They are big Fates Warning fans and they said it was a dream opening for them back in Greece last year. I talked to the guitarist as well and I mentioned that it was the 1st time I've seen a 7 string PRS guitar. He said that he adjusted it himself to make it a 7 string because when he bought it, PRS didn't have 7 string guitars at the time. Great bunch of guys. The singer sounds very different studio vs in a live setting. But he's a great frontman and has a great set of pipes.
Yeah, they said Fates Warning was huge in Greece and they were really honored to get to open for them.  I don't think the singer is *that* different... but I do think his voice is cleaner/smoother live than it is in the studio (I think he sounds great live and also like him on disc so it works out).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »
Been a fan of this band since Orvam (which is slightly better than Hegaiamas in my opinion), they're great. I'm actually seeing them live today in Siegburg.

I like Hegaiamas better, but it could be that it just hit me at the right time.  Both albums are really strong.  What do you think of the spoken word tracks?  I had kinda forgotten the track on Orvam, and when I listened to Hegaiamas, I was thinking "OK this is weird, maybe a little too long" etc, etc, and yet... I never skip that track.  I get it when people say it's long or maybe takes the energy down, and yet, I guess I like it because I always listen to it.  When I went back to Orvam I then remembered that that track had pretty much the same effect on me.  :)  I guess they are good at those.

Cool pic from the show. :)  When I saw them the crowd got larger as their set went on, which is a good sign.  I'm pretty sure it was the same setlist too.  A real good show, though it flew by.

I'm loving this band. I've been searching for a deeper type of vocalist like this in this style. Atmospheric, Melodic, and Energetic.
:)  That's awesome.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
Had to get the Orvum live and the singers voice is great, as is the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
I saw these guys mentioned in the SoA thread and checked out their latest album on Spotify. I absolutely loved it, gotta dig into this band more.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 07:16:24 AM »

I like Hegaiamas better, but it could be that it just hit me at the right time.  Both albums are really strong.  What do you think of the spoken word tracks?  I had kinda forgotten the track on Orvam, and when I listened to Hegaiamas, I was thinking "OK this is weird, maybe a little too long" etc, etc, and yet... I never skip that track.  I get it when people say it's long or maybe takes the energy down, and yet, I guess I like it because I always listen to it.  When I went back to Orvam I then remembered that that track had pretty much the same effect on me.  :)  I guess they are good at those.

Cool pic from the show. :)  When I saw them the crowd got larger as their set went on, which is a good sign.  I'm pretty sure it was the same setlist too.  A real good show, though it flew by.

I like both Hotel Oniro (though I've got to say, the woman's accent on this one makes me smile) and IOTA. My favourite spoken part is at the end of Orvam actually, the one in Greek language. And my least favourite spoken part is at the end of Hegaiamas, this one does nothing for me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »

I like both Hotel Oniro (though I've got to say, the woman's accent on this one makes me smile) and IOTA. My favourite spoken part is at the end of Orvam actually, the one in Greek language. And my least favourite spoken part is at the end of Hegaiamas, this one does nothing for me.

I don't mind the part at the end of Hegaiamas, but it's the one I like the least as well. It would be nice if it was a separate track maybe.

Have you heard any of their albums prior to Orvam? I think the have 2 but I haven't checked them out.

Offline majo

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:25 AM »
such a great album.  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:15:10 AM »

I don't mind the part at the end of Hegaiamas, but it's the one I like the least as well. It would be nice if it was a separate track maybe.

Have you heard any of their albums prior to Orvam? I think the have 2 but I haven't checked them out.

No, haven't heard them. I bought Siamese God at the merch stand, but haven't listened to it yet.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
Bumping this since my boys are coming up with another masterpiece, called
Norchestrion: a song for the end

They have released two new songs:

Beckethead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllS9TbmGsA

Nemmortal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CDH0gucGlU&list=RDFllS9TbmGsA&start_radio=1

The album is available for pre-order on bandcamp:

https://needband.bandcamp.com/album/norchestrion-a-song-for-the-end

Offline Lethean

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
I haven't listened to the new songs yet but I did pre-order the album.  Really looking forward to it since the last two were so great.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »
I listened to both songs once when they were released, I thought they were alright but nothing as immediate as Tilikum was. I won't listen again until the full album comes out. The last two albums were indeed very good. I saw this band live opening for Evergrey (as I said like 20 times before) and I was their biggest fan in the crowd for sure. :lol I was mouthing along to Mother Madness and when the song went "HOOOOOME IS SO FAR AWAY", and then later transition from "I HAVE NO BREATH TO SCREAM" to the soft "Mother, take me home" I must've looked so happy George Ravaya looked directly at me and nodded like "yeah, this is the shit, isn't it?"

I need to pre-order this on bandcamp at some point, haven't got any spare money for now though. Paycheck tomorrow, so we'll see. I want to support these guys.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:45:39 AM by Evermind »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
Whoa, yeah, I like this band  :omg:

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 12:40:03 AM »
I listened to both songs once when they were released, I thought they were alright but nothing as immediate as Tilikum was. I won't listen again until the full album comes out. The last two albums were indeed very good. I saw this band live opening for Evergrey (as I said like 20 times before) and I was their biggest fan in the crowd for sure. :lol I was mouthing along to Mother Madness and when the song went "HOOOOOME IS SO FAR AWAY", and then later transition from "I HAVE NO BREATH TO SCREAM" to the soft "Mother, take me home" I must've looked so happy George Ravaya looked directly at me and nodded like "yeah, this is the shit, isn't it?"

I need to pre-order this on bandcamp at some point, haven't got any spare money for now though. Paycheck tomorrow, so we'll see. I want to support these guys.

Love your story, George indeed has a great way to connect to the audience.
I've been happy to have a promo of the album, and allow me to say that the two songs barely scratch the surface of what's to come.

Norchestrion the song might be the best song they've written yet, and the epic "Ananke" is just massive.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 06:39:11 AM »
The album is out today! Listening to it now and guess what, there's another spoken word track!

I'm up to the title track and the only song I didn't like so far is Nemmortal. It's too dark and sinister I guess :biggrin:

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 07:55:39 AM »
Hehehe nice pun.

I think the song Norchestrion is probably their best song to date, and one of the finest prog metal songs i've heard.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 02:56:21 PM »
Wait, it's not Friday, that's so confusing. :lol

I'll check it out tomorrow probably.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

Re: Need - Norchestrion (2021)
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
I've listened to the new album a few times now and it's pretty great.  I'm never really sure just what I think about the spoken word tracks but I always listen to them, so at the very least I guess they're interesting.

Avia is a really nice track to start the album off - liked it right away.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 02:53:39 PM »
A couple of songs have shown up in my Spotify release radar playlist that were quite enjoyable.  I've had the album squirelled away to listen to, which I'll fire up tomorrow morning.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online goo-goo

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 03:03:08 PM »
Need to check this album out. They kicked ass opening for Evergrey IIRC (or Sky Harbor).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »
Really good album. I like the subject matter. And I actually quite enjoy the spoken atmospheric track. And that dialog is interesting.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »
Really good album. I like the subject matter. And I actually quite enjoy the spoken atmospheric track. And that dialog is interesting.

Yea me too. Only listened once so far. Think it's the first time I've listened to Need. Reminded me of Fates Warning, especially the vocals.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 05:41:05 PM »

Yea me too. Only listened once so far. Think it's the first time I've listened to Need. Reminded me of Fates Warning, especially the vocals.

The vocals remind me of Roy Kahn. I really enjoy their atomosphere, and lyrics. This album is a great one, and I really like how the spoken word song goes into Norchestrion.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »
I am sure I have checked these guys out before .................actually just checked and yeah - I own Orvam  :lol

Just listened to Nemmortal and I like it.   Seems like there is a very strong Fates Warning influence (edit : as already mentioned above I see)  if this track is representative. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lethean

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 08:17:54 PM »

The vocals remind me of Roy Kahn. I really enjoy their atomosphere, and lyrics. This album is a great one, and I really like how the spoken word song goes into Norchestrion.
I haven't noticed a similarity to Khan, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some Khan influence.  There's definitely some Fates Warning in the vocal melodies, and I know at least some of the band are FW fans.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 08:31:07 PM »

I haven't noticed a similarity to Khan, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some Khan influence.  There's definitely some Fates Warning in the vocal melodies, and I know at least some of the band are FW fans.

I definitely hear the Fates Warning influence in all the melodies and the atmosphere, reminds me of the Disconnected-FWX atmosphere. The vocal just reminds me of Kahn, and I can now hear some Daniel Gildenlow, this is just in the tone of the vocalist. I like that tone and it really suits the style and tone of the band.

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
This album has been really growing on me over the past month. I really enjoy the buildup thing in Nemmortal, and Circadian is a standout song IMO.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »
Circadian and the title track are my favorites here, but I really enjoy the while thing. Ordered the album + t-shirt bundle during the last Bandcamp Friday.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 08:19:48 AM »
Ordered the album + t-shirt bundle during the last Bandcamp Friday.

The bundle has arrived! I sent a message to the band via bandcamp as I usually do and got a response from Jon:

:metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
I think I payed about 30 for the cd. I got a postcard as well thanking me for the kind amount so they threw in a keychain as well.

They didn't have to do that. It's nice they did though.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:22 PM »
I think this album is pretty great. :)